Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Postby stargazer » Nov 04, 2013 3:59 pm

Those colorful trees are a big reason I like fall so much, fantasia. Some years the colors can be absolutely spectacular, lasting a week or more before wind or snow knocks them down.

Speaking of snow, a winter weather advisory for 3-5 inches (76-130mm) of snow has been posted here for tomorrow night into Wednesday.

But surely the sorts of trees growing [in Oregon] aren't Eucalypts like we have here. Eucalypts are oily and highly combustible.

The Cascade range, which runs north to south through western Washington, Oregon, and northern California, has a variety of deciduous and coniferous species (souce). Many of these grow quite large in the rainy temperate climate but can be explosively combustible if old and dry (Lodgepole pines were among the trees that burst into flame over large areas of Yellowstone back in the big fires of 1988).

Your southern states, like Arizona, New Mexico and Texas I thought were more desert, or semi-desert, like Western Australia, and much of the rest of inland Australia.

I believe that's generally correct, but there seems to be a lot of arid climate-loving vegetation down there that burns during fire season.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby johobbit » Nov 05, 2013 11:48 am

Oooh, curious to know if you will receive that predicted snow, 'gazer. Meanwhile, at our end, we are supposed to get rain, with the temperature warming up to a whopping 15C/59F tomorrow! But cooling right down by Friday again.

stargazer wrote:Those colorful trees are a big reason I like fall so much, fantasia.

Hearty ditto. Between that and the cooler temps for us polar bears, as well as the earlier dark in the evenings. :D

wagga wrote:Sounds just perfect to wet a hobbit's toes, johobbit? :)

'Tis indeed, wagga. ;)) :D

Puddleglum wrote:Ever try to mulch soggy leaves?

That'd sure be ... tricky. ;))

IlF wrote:I would love to live [in NYC] for a year and experience all season properly.

I hope you can someday, IlF! :D Or at least somewhere up here where a number of us get very distinct and beautiful seasons. (Although, I would not call summer here "beautiful", lol—just a very personal preference. :P)

fantasia, your autumn sounds glorious!

Ours is nicely drawn out, as some trees, although mostly turned, are still hanging on to their leaves. So very pretty! The rain tomorrow will most likely drop a lot. I adore the fresh look of the brightly coloured leaves on the still very green grass. Mowed the back lawn the other day, and hoping that will be the last stint for this season, but only time will tell. ;))

I am heading up to the Mennonite country tomorrow (a girl cousins get-together), and I suspect most of the leaves will have already fallen there, being that bit further north of us.

We have received too medium frosts so far, the first a bit lighter than the one two nights ago. On my morning walk, everything was a-glitter with frosty sparkles. Love it!
johobbit

Postby Puddleglum » Nov 05, 2013 5:00 pm

The frost is a sight to see in the morning now that I am getting off to work in the daylight again. (Not that it will last long mind you, but the sunrise was kind of pretty this morning :) ).
Getting some of the white stuff now as I type this. Just purchased one of those new-fangled leaf-blower- vacuum-mulcher combo- thingamajigs yesterday. Finished reading the instructions, and proceeded to suck up leaves. Was doing well when guess what? Snow falling is usually quite peaceful like. But not when it's collecting on the leaf pile you are trying to suck up X(
From what I see on the news it's supposed to warm up briefly in a couple days. Maybe I can finish it. Or I can say forget it, and let the snow cover it up so it's out of sight. But then it would be my luck that this would be the year we get nothing for snow accumulation until January.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Nov 05, 2013 10:11 pm

It appears we'll get some accumulation down here in the Twin Cities tonight, Puddleglum. The ground has a coating but the streets and sidewalks are still too warm to be anything but wet. They're calling for 1-3 inches additional by morning. With sunshine and temps just above freezing tomorrow, it will likely melt away soon.

Areas a couple hours southwest of here have the jackpot, with some reporting over 11 inches/279mm of snow with more falling.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Nov 07, 2013 3:42 pm

The temperature took a 20 degree dip overnight. It's much nicer now ;))

I'd really love to get some snow, but that's not gonna happen anytime soon according to the weather folk.

Great to hear about your snowfall, gazer! I'd love to see some pics!
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 239
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby fantasia » Nov 07, 2013 3:54 pm

We are potentially expecting some snow overnight on Tuesday. It won't stick, but hey, it's snow.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby johobbit » Nov 07, 2013 4:32 pm

We have a few rain/snow mix days upcoming, with potential for just snow on Tuesday. :) There are certainly some trees that have not yet shed their leaves, so that will be a mighty pretty picture with the white stuff sprinkled like icing sugar over all the colours, both on the trees and on the ground. Meanwhile, a couple of hours north of us should be getting a few inches of snow tonight.

*chuckles sympathetically at Puddleglum's leaf-snow predicament* ;))

Our first leaf pick-up is next week, but with snow in the forecast, it could make for an interesting meshed-seasons week.
:)
johobbit

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Nov 09, 2013 6:27 pm

I washed the car this morning, and, guess what! It actually rained! :-o ;)) Not much, though. Just enough to replace the water used washing the car. Not enough to stop a few more bushfires, which are still cropping up now and then. :(

I hope you are all getting sufficient and adequate precipitation, in whatever form it takes. :D
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Nov 12, 2013 11:46 am

Did you get any snow, jo? (Hey, that rhymes ;)) )

Hope you get more rain, wagga, to help with those fires.

I'm in southern Minnesota for a few days, and while this area missed the snow I mentioned a few days ago, a fresh coating fell yesterday, followed by clearing skies and the coolest temps of the season so far (lows this morning were about 10F/-11C). Not much to write home about, but a taste of things to come.
stargazer

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Nov 12, 2013 2:48 pm

stargazer wrote:Hope you get more rain, wagga, to help with those fires.

Yes we did, thank you. The fires are out for now, and we had a lovely cool day yesterday. But the rain has stopped and the weather is heating up again, to about 30C (just under 85F)

It seems that some of you Up there might even have a White Christmas. :D Not the confection made of coconut, raisins, turkish delight and other goodies. I might try it though this year.

IloveFauns wrote: Tony abbott and the liberals do not feature on my favourites lists. Basically due to there polices being not to my taste. So him not believing in global warming adds to my dislike of them

We did get a lovely drop of rain for the last two or three days, when it was decidedly cool. So all the climate change sceptics came out in force in the newspapers. Trouble is, one swallow doesn't make a summer, and it is the only real drop of rain we've had since August. From now to the next drop of rain might not be soon enough to confirm their scepticism.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Puddleglum » Nov 13, 2013 9:35 pm

Good to hear your fire troubles seem over wagga.
It was looking like a definite cool down, to be followed by some of the white stuff,
BUT
As I like to remind people, sometimes God has a sense of humor. It reached 51 degrees today. Sunny, with just a hint of a breeze. A perfect day for romping outdoors, and frolicking in the woods with all the little creatures :ymhug:
Unfortunatly, I had to work :|
Like I said. Sense of humor.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Nov 15, 2013 8:45 am

Didn't get a chance to post in here this week, but I thought I'd mention that we got our first accumulating snow on Monday night. The NE Ohio (and even Central Ohio) got between 1 - 3 inches of the white stuff. My hometown of Mansfield got around 2.5 inches (just enough to cover the grass), while Columbus (where I go to school) got more like an inch.

It's been cold enough to maintain the snow throughout the week too, but the sunlight did cause anything in its path to melt, resulting in very bizarre demarcations between snow and grass ;))

The temps here are on the rise, and most of the snow has melted. Temps will be in the 50's for the forseeable future :(
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 239
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby stargazer » Nov 15, 2013 2:16 pm

It's unseasonably warm here as well, Digs, with temps today expected to get close to 60F/15C - pretty amazing for mid-November. As you might expect, that bit of snow we got last week is long gone.

Much cooler air is expected to pour in Sunday into Monday, and our highs will remain below freezing. Still not bad considering the snowstorms possible at this time of year.
stargazer

Postby johobbit » Nov 15, 2013 2:36 pm

Thankful the fires have eased there, wagga!

*chuckles at Puddleglum's—and God's—sense of humour* ;))

Nice about the snow, DiGs. :D

Cute poem, 'gazer, haha! We received some flurries that evening, but nothing to stay on the ground. Still, it was a foretaste of what is to come. However, not this weekend, as we, too, are experiencing above-normal temperatures, with the daytime high on Sunday up to 13C/55.4F ( :-o in November!), accompanied by rain, rain, rain, and even thunderstorms towards evening, which will usher in below freezing temperatures for next week. This fall has been a yo-yo. ;)) So, I must get my fall-time gardening completed tomorrow!
johobbit

Postby IloveFauns » Nov 16, 2013 11:14 pm

Summer is here for sure and won't be leaving us to mid march. Today is nice around 28c with less humidity than yesterday which was 32c.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Nov 16, 2013 11:22 pm

Whereas over on the other side of Oz, it is thundery, raining, cold and quite wintery. 8-| But we didn't get any of the hail that has pounded the Sunshine Coast in Queensland.

I'm sure we'll be back to overheated summer sometime soon. ;)
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

PreviousNext