This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Postby wolfloversk » Oct 24, 2013 8:13 pm

It snowed... my feet weren't ready :P Rained most of the day... It's in the 40's this week... pretty chilly
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby Ithilwen » Oct 24, 2013 9:43 pm

wolfloversk wrote:It snowed... my feet weren't ready :P Rained most of the day... It's in the 40's this week... pretty chilly

I didn't know it could snow when the temperatures were in the 40s. :-o I thought it had to get down to at least 32.

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Oct 25, 2013 4:29 am

Oh no, Ithi. . . it can snow anywhere in the low to mid 30's. I've never heard of snow in the 40's though, but snow at 35 or 36 is not unheard of. If it is above 32, however, it melts pretty darn quickly.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby IloveFauns » Oct 25, 2013 4:33 am

@ Waggawagga( Too much twitter for me). I will begin with Tony abbott and his part. As you may have guessed Tony abbott and the liberals do not feature on my favourites lists. Basically due to there polices being not to my taste. So him not believing in global warming adds to my dislike of them.

On to fire lectures- I remember having a few during my school years. Many in my qld primary school but not so many when I moved to WA.

I assume many people on here have never really thought about there home/life being threatened by a bush fire just like we think our home and life will not be threatened by a blizzard or a snow storm.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby wolfloversk » Oct 27, 2013 5:01 pm

@Ithy on no XD it snowed overnight... temperatures were probably closer to mid 30's when it did... it was 40 in the daytime... Sorry to confuse you!
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby Puddleglum » Oct 27, 2013 5:50 pm

Full day today.
Weather was begging for outdoor chores to be done. Sunny, upper 40's, with a light breeze from the N.E.
Finally cleared the garden, and deposited a pile of leaves on the rose bushes. Have to bag leaves from the lee side of the pile so that the wind blows the bag open. Have to learn those tricks as you get older ;)
Have heard talk of it dropping in temps by Thursday, but others say it may hit 50's. By this rate I should get out the shovel, and the rake 8-|

And the gutters are still not done (-|
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Oct 28, 2013 11:31 am

Our first 'real' snow of the season - enough to cover the grass until rain washes it away - is expected overnight tonight.

Yesterday was a pleasant autumn day (58F/14C), great for some time outside. Yet winter can't be far away; good old Embarrass, Minnesota reported a temperature of 14F/-10C this morning.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Oct 28, 2013 12:31 pm

For being such a pleasant weekend with highs in the upper forties, it sure has warmed up again today. We've got highs in the mid 60's and it feels ever so sweltering now that my body has equilibrated to the colder norm.

Hoping for some "real snow" here too, Gazer.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby Puddleglum » Oct 28, 2013 8:29 pm

While I would not mind a good old fashoned winter snow as well, I must insist people stop, cease, desist =;
I have finished the gardens, but have yet to trim the dead branches from the trees, and clean the gutters. Not to mention raking up the remainder of the leaves #:-s
True enough, they are forecasting snow on the morrow. Still, I deny, nay, I defy this [-( I hold out the last glimmer of hope, be it only my sheer stubberness til the very end that I shall indeed see green grass until the first weekend of November.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby IloveFauns » Oct 29, 2013 3:31 am

I don't think we have ever had to clean the gutters, we don't have any trees over our house or rake up any leaves for the same reason. Our garden consists of plants that don't need much water or tending to. Mum doesn't like it.

Okay the weather has heated up. It was a very pleasant day which it will be like to the end of November and than it will be hot. At least we have finally invested in an aircon. My mum still wonders how we survived Queensland summers without an aircon. Well it built up my heat resistance.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby johobbit » Oct 30, 2013 10:46 am

Wow! about your 'sort of' snow on the 18th, fk! ;))

Areas just north of us have received snow earlier than usual this season. We ran into some on our way home from the Bruce Peninsula last Thursday. It was gorgeous, particularly as it lay on the still beautifully-coloured trees ... a rather rare combination.

We are going to be moving up the escarpment in the next year or so, which is the right direction for snow-lovers. B-) Scouting around the area we are interested in late last week, it was those big, fluffy flakes that are so magical (think Narnia-snow) were coming down thickly, but down the escarpment, only a half hour away, the same precipitation was rain.

wagga wrote:I hope our Northern Hemisphere friends here on NarniaWeb aren't bored silly with our little conversation.

Not at all! In fact, I was just thinking I really like the fact that we have two Australians consistently here telling us about their areas 'down under'. :)

Our friend, Wiggle wrote:Have to bag leaves from the lee side of the pile so that the wind blows the bag open. Have to learn those tricks as you get older ;)

Smart! B-) Btw, good to see you here again, Puddleglum!

So, 'gazer, did you receive that slight snowfall?

IlF wrote:It was a very pleasant day which it will be like to the end of November and than it will be hot. At least we have finally invested in an aircon. My mum still wonders how we survived Queensland summers without an aircon.

It never ceases to take me aback when you or wagga write something like that ... that it will be hot at the end of November. ;)) Have to readjust my thinking. 'Tis good for me. :P Glad you finally have A/C!

Yeah, us too, DiGs. This fall has bounced around all over the place. Tomorrow is leaping up 10°C to 18C/64.4F with strong winds and very rainy. The forecasters are predicting a wee let-up by early evening, which will be nice for any trick-'r-treaters heading out. Then the rain moves in again later in the evening. But tomorrow's warm-ish day is short-lived, as by Friday, already, the temperatures are dropping to normality for this time of year. We had our first light frost the other morning. So pretty! And crisp. And ♥. ;))

There are a number of trees that have turned colour, but have not yet dropped their leaves. I love how this autumn has been lengthened out so much. It's a beautiful season in so many ways! The air, it seems, consistently is scented with a bonfire smell, mmmm! And the dark sky in the early morning hours or in the evening ... ♥

Puddleglum wrote:Not to mention raking up the remainder of the leaves #:-s

Here too! Some leaves are on the ground at our place, but by far the majority have yet to fall. We shall be raking leaves well into November, methinks.
johobbit

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Oct 31, 2013 2:56 pm

DiGoRyKiRkE wrote:They pop up quite frequently in the Southwestern states like Texas, Arizona and New Mexico. A few years ago there was a nasty one in Colorado (which is in the Rocky Mountains). The Olympic region (Oregon and Washington) has had some nasty ones too.

That is a little strange. Oregon and Washington, and possibly Colorado, as far as I know, share with NSW and Victoria (8/2/2009 bushfires) a couple of things. They are mountainous, and have a lot of trees. The only reason I ever knew that Oregon was a state of USA was because of Oregon timber, often used here in building. But surely the sorts of trees growing there aren't Eucalypts like we have here. Eucalypts are oily and highly combustible. Your southern states, like Arizona, New Mexico and Texas I thought were more desert, or semi-desert, like Western Australia, and much of the rest of inland Australia.

IloveFauns wrote:As you may have guessed Tony abbott and the liberals do not feature on my favourites lists. Basically due to there polices being not to my taste. So him not believing in global warming adds to my dislike of them.

I quite agree. Just because T.Abbott does not believe in global warming doesn't mean his government doesn't have to avoid polluting our surroundings, or that it doesn't have to be serious about protecting the environment we have as best we can.

At least the latest round of bushfires are over for now. Just in time for Halloween. Though the cleaning up will take a good while longer, I fear. And we still haven't got any decent rain. Well, it did rain between the coast and Sydney, itself, but not Western Sydney. Good about your air conditioning, IlF. Ours died last August, being 25 years old, and it cost a motza to have it replaced.

IloveFauns wrote:I assume many people on here have never really thought about there home/life being threatened by a bush fire just like we think our home and life will not be threatened by a blizzard or a snow storm.

I guess so, though in the last decade, I've been hearing more and more of summer 'wildfires' in USA. Though, after Cyclone Tracy, which flattened Darwin, on Christmas Day in 1974, I often thought that hurricanes and tornados would be of more concern to people in USA than either snowstorms or bushfires. Canada is a different matter. I did hear of a snowstorm-induced blackout that crippled its Eastern states some years ago.

johobbit wrote:Areas just north of us have received snow earlier than usual this season. We ran into some on our way home from the Bruce Peninsula last Thursday. It was gorgeous, particularly as it lay on the still beautifully-coloured trees ... a rather rare combination.

Sounds just perfect to wet a hobbit's toes, johobbit? :)
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Puddleglum » Oct 31, 2013 8:14 pm

I do enjoy juming in when I can my good Hobbit. Must admit I have been doing more reading than posting of late. Some of it is because I have so little time, and the rest is that I simply nothing of interest to say. Wouldn't want to bore anyone now would I with rambling.
Anyhow. On to the topic. Had a bit of fun with the fog the last couple of nights. Some of the local news channels like to show their "traffic cams' with cars whizzing by. Hard to do when there's not to be seen but a gray mist.
Have all the leaves I need for covering the basement window, and figure on just mulching the rest with the mower. If only this humidity would clear before the snow comes. Ever try to mulch soggy leaves?
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby IloveFauns » Nov 01, 2013 3:48 am

@Waggawagga Yes it is a huge issue and I think the Labor government were much better at addressing the issue. Now the libs want to get rid of the carbon tax. I just cast my vote an can't do much else :( .

Speaking of WA being semi-desert I forgot what it was like to see proper dirt rather than sand. You become so use to seeing sand that when you did a whole in the garden when you visit your family in Tasmania you get a huge shock.

I went to New york city last year during there summer. I couldn't believe it got just as hot as it gets here in the summer or even worse. Than thinking of it snowing there in the winter and not here. New York actually has proper seasons( extremes at both ends). I would love to live there for a year and experience all season properly.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Nov 01, 2013 2:27 pm

I've never been to NYC but I've heard it can be really hot there in the summer. I think the effect may be exaggerated by the urban heat island - all that concrete absorbs and re-emits heat.

So, 'gazer, did you receive that slight snowfall?

No, alas, it was just drizzle. But it won't be long now, with areas north of here routinely reporting sub-freezing nightly temperatures.

Incidentally, most of the maples are bare here now, but the oaks are showing off their various shades of rust-type colors. But we may not see a lot of green here again until next April.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby fantasia » Nov 02, 2013 10:35 am

I had forgotten how pretty Fall can be here in Kansas. The past two years of drought caused the trees to lose their leaves mid-Summer before they could properly change color. But all of our Red Maples are downright gorgeous, and the other leaves' color are supporting them with yellows and oranges. :D
We're also having a proper Fall, temperature wise. Highs have been in the mid-60Fs and lows have been above freezing. I think on Tuesday we're having another cold front come through with lots of rain, and it will likely drop the average temps another 10F. Winter is definitely heading this way.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

PreviousNext