This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Postby Courtenay » Mar 31, 2020 3:45 pm

stargazer wrote:That is a wonderful image, Courtenay!

Even better when mixed with magpies — Australian magpies (unrelated to the northern hemisphere sort) are beautiful songsters — but I'm now back in England, where it's supposed to be spring, but it seems to be turning colder lately, not warmer...
"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed." (Prince Caspian)
Courtenay
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby johobbit » Apr 01, 2020 11:45 am

Oooh, magpies, Courtenay, cool. I listened to their call online just now; how unusual!

Lovely that you viewed the ISS on such a beautiful evening, stargazer. :)

The last of our snow has finally melted. Today's temp is 10C/50F with brilliant sunshine, after a few days of rain. I just hung up my first line of clothes outside for 2020. :D And the birds are building their nests while chirping up a storm, particularly during my early morning walks at dawn.

This morning on that walk, the temperature was just below freezing—so invigorating. And the dawn and sunrise were absolutely stunning. This is great maple syrup weather here in Ontario. Pity that the maple syrup festivals have (understandably) all been shut down this year.
johobbit

Postby fantasia » Apr 03, 2020 11:19 am

After several days of absolutely gorgeous weather, we had a blast of cold last night. I brought my peas in (they're still in a pot, thank goodness) so they were fine. But I wasn't anticipating the freezing rain. Everything was covered with ice this morning, so hopefully I didn't lose anything in my Fairy Garden because I didn't cover anything. :-s
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby stargazer » Apr 03, 2020 8:22 pm

That's the same cold front we had, fantasia. Here in the Twin Cities we had a dramatic temperature drop along with some snow flurries and freezing rain, but northwest Minnesota and the eastern Dakotas had much more severe weather - some areas got up to 16 inches/410 mm of snow along with freezing rain. A semi was blown off the road by the wind, and shortly thereafter a snowplow suffered the same fate.

It's expected to clear here overnight, with warmer weather ahead. Monday may bring the first 70F reading of the year, though that might be optimistic.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby fantasia » Apr 08, 2020 2:56 pm

After a week of absolutely gorgeous weather, it crossed into toastiness today with 88F. Whew! #:-s

That's okay. We have a chance for snow on Sunday and Monday. :-o 8-| /:)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Apr 08, 2020 11:23 pm

Fantasia, I hope you get your wish. "Down unda without thunda", the weather has been cloudy & a little below average, a sort of hopeful sign for the welfare of the world, if it is. It is well past the autumn Equinox, here, & we are trying to figure out a Coronavirus stay at home Easter service for everyone. Television comes to mind, eg Channel 92 at 9.00 AM EAST. The weather is getting cooler, & general flu vaccines come to mind.....

johobbit wrote:Oooh, magpies, Courtenay, cool. I listened to their call online just now; how unusual!

Yes, our magpies have a sort of musical "kyogle" sound to them, which as a child I found wonderful :) . However, they migrate, & according to our daily fishwrap, they seem to have gone south, past Wollongong. By the way, Kyogle, in Northern New South Wales, is an actual place.

These magpies were particularly prevalent to the west of Sydney, which is why the NRL football team, Wests, took magpies as their emblem. They joined up with another team or two to become the West Tigers. We used to wear empty ice-cream containers when we walked past groups of trees where residents knew magpies nested, as they were known to dive-bomb passers by, to defend their nests. The trouble is about identification of Australian birds is due to British settlers, trying to relate the native birds to what they got used to up in the Northern Hemisphere. Thus a "disapproval of ravens" would definitely apply to the local native birds but not necessarily the Northern Hemisphere types?

Last night we were supposed to have a nice pink shade of pink moon but it was too cloudy to see. Did anyone see it?
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Courtenay » Apr 09, 2020 2:20 am

waggawerewolf27 wrote:Last night we were supposed to have a nice pink shade of pink moon but it was too cloudy to see. Did anyone see it?

I was out late shopping last night near Sevenoaks and there was a clear sky with what I'd call a golden dollar moon! (Bit like this, that is, but without the kangaroos. :D )

waggawerewolf27 wrote:Yes, our magpies have a sort of musical "kyogle" sound to them, which as a child I found wonderful :) . However, they migrate, & according to our daily fishwrap, they seem to have gone south, past Wollongong. By the way, Kyogle, in Northern New South Wales, is an actual place.

It does sound a bit like that, doesn't it? I also once heard an American visitor, new to Australia, describe them as sounding like R2D2!! :-o I prefer something I once read — I forget the author, but it was an Aussie — describing our magpies' song as them rolling the sunshine around in their throats. That's what I always think of when I hear them.

Interestingly, our magpies in Inverloch (my home town) haven't been known to swoop anyone for many years — they did when I was little, but it's as if, as the town has grown, they've got more used to humans. I haven't seen or heard of an attack for about three decades!

One time a few years ago, as I was walking in the next street to ours (where my parents live, I mean), it was just about sunset and there were three young magpies foraging on a front lawn. Then two more, up in a gum tree overhead, suddenly gave a few clear, ringing calls, and the ones on the ground flew up to join them in the branches. I guess they must have been the parents calling "Come home, time for bed!" Aussie magpies live in family groups and the "teenage" young stay with their parents and help to raise the next lot of chicks, until they themselves are old enough to go off and start their own families.

Another time, also in Inverloch, I was walking our dog when I saw, on another front lawn, a female magpie (grey back rather than white) feeding her young one, who was calling out "kea-kea-kea-kea-kea!" in that ear-splitting way baby magpies have — obviously translatable as "Mum, Mum, feed me, feed me, feed me, I'm staaaaaarving, Muuuuuuum!!" Mum Magpie was looking a bit exasperated as she dug up grubs with her beak and stuffed them into her offspring's gaping gullet. Near them, I was delighted to spot an Eastern rosella (the one from the tomato sauce label — Wagga will know what I mean!) feeding very quietly on the ground and apparently trying to ignore the maggies. But the young magpie's squeals grew so loud and insistent that finally the rosella leapt into the air, gave a few shrill cries of her own, and dive-bombed the mother and baby magpies until they flew away and left her in peace. I couldn't stop laughing!! =))

Back to the weather, it's sunny here in South-east England (it's even going over 20°C, which is "warm" here!), but of course, we can't go out anywhere much... :( I'm also "attending" church online when I can and deeply grateful to still have my full-time job and to be in a very special and supportive community (I live and work at a Christian Science nursing facility). I hope everyone else in the NarniaWeb family is also safe and well and that, in the midst of all we're going through, you'll still have a wonderful and peaceful Easter full of joy and blessings. :ymhug:
"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed." (Prince Caspian)
Courtenay
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Apr 10, 2020 5:14 am

Courtenay wrote:Another time, also in Inverloch, I was walking our dog when I saw, on another front lawn, a female magpie (grey back rather than white) feeding her young one, who was calling out "kea-kea-kea-kea-kea!" in that ear-splitting way baby magpies have — obviously translatable as "Mum, Mum, feed me, feed me, feed me, I'm staaaaaarving, Muuuuuuum!!" Mum Magpie was looking a bit exasperated as she dug up grubs with her beak and stuffed them into her offspring's gaping gullet. Near them, I was delighted to spot an Eastern rosella (the one from the tomato sauce label — Wagga will know what I mean!) feeding very quietly on the ground and apparently trying to ignore the maggies. But the young magpie's squeals grew so loud and insistent that finally the rosella leapt into the air, gave a few shrill cries of her own, and dive-bombed the mother and baby magpies until they flew away and left her in peace. I couldn't stop laughing!!

Yes, I can just imagine it! =)) =)) A year or so we used to get quite a few sulphur-crested cockatoos, or cockatiels, but they've moved on. We have had the odd currawong drop by, but of late most of the birds are only Indian Mynahs plus the usual collection of pigeons. Over in Emu Plains for some reason they get more birds, from the escarpment behind them, up into Lapstone. There was this small bird in our friend's backyard that actually did go "Tweet, tweet tweet tweet". I thought it must have been a joke toy at first, but it was really a willy wagtail.

It is typically Easter weather. A proper Good Friday feel about it, all gloomy & cloudy in the morning, clearing about lunch, with an afternoon shower, breaking up at sunset, somewhat cooler than it was at this time last year. We've been getting podcasts from our local church & regular DVD's to take the place of services. One good thing is that we can watch such DVD's & podcasts at any time during the day, but I miss the old familiar hymns. St Mary's Catholic Cathedral are having a televised service on Sunday morning on Channel Seven, whilst St Andrew's Cathedral (Anglican) in Town Hall Square, will also be televising their service at 9.30 am, on Channel 92. Other churches may also do something similar on other stations, if they can.

A lovely Easter to everyone, nonetheless, despite the Coronavirus. God bless you & keep you & let his face shine upon you. Stay safe everyone. :ymhug:
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Justin of Archenland » Apr 11, 2020 8:11 am

I was expecting to come in here and find numerous weather descriptions. Thankfully it's so much more, hahah!

I love the Aussie stories, Courtenay . So descriptive they actually make me wish I could visit Inverloch, even without ever having known it existed ;;)

Here in the Netherlands the weather has actually been really nice the last two weeks. Usually people compare us to the UK, often cloudy and wet (that's the life of living below sea level), but it's been really good now. We're at 22C as I write this.

Tomorrow we'll be enjoying an online service in my church again too. Obviously I miss gathering with my friends and 'family', but I'm glad they've found a way to get the messages out. I am also really proud of the generosity our and many other churches have shown during these weird times. Basically any initiative I come across fills me with moments of joy.

Have a great Easter, all. I hope it will be warm outside and inside your hearts!
“Child," said the Voice, "I am telling you your story, not hers. I tell no one any story but his own.”
― C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
Justin of Archenland
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby stargazer » Apr 11, 2020 4:42 pm

Welcome, Justin! Hope you enjoy your time here.

I also enjoy the Aussie stories. I'd love to go there (and New Zealand) not only for the night skies but for the scenery and unusual animals.

The moon really has been spectacular the past few days. wagga, the term pink moon doesn't refer to its color but is instead an old folklore reference to moss pink, or wild ground phlox, whose pinkish flowers are among spring's earliest flowers in the eastern United States. April's full moon is also called the sprouting grass moon, egg moon, or fish moon.

Just days after warm weather, we're going to get a shot of winter overnight, and the Twin Cities may set a snowfall record for Easter (not a tall order, as the previous record is only 2.5 inches/63mm). Areas southeast of here could get 10 inches (254mm) or more. Rather unusual this late in the season, but not unheard of. Last April had more than that. ;))
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby coracle » Apr 11, 2020 5:28 pm

I've had an unusual mix of weather this year, starting with a month of NZ summer, then 8 weeks of late winter/early spring in South Carolina (it was getting quite warm by the time I left at the end of March), and early autumn back in NZ (five days quarantined in a hotel, then flown home to my own city to enjoy autumn days in my own garden).
It's allowed me to catch up on harvesting fruit, and to sit out on my deck and enjoy the sunshine.

Last year I had northern hemisphere (mostly London) weather until early October, then came home to NZ to spring and the first two months of summer. Confused? No, but with autumn here mild so far, I have yet to try on all my warm woolly jerseys and cardigans.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Justin of Archenland » Apr 12, 2020 4:14 am

I also enjoy the Aussie stories. I'd love to go there (and New Zealand) not only for the night skies but for the scenery and unusual animals.

The scenery and animals definitely add much to the enjoyment. Although, for some sad reason I have given in to the stereotype that everything in those countries will try to kill me. I haven't recovered from that yet. :p

Sounds like you and coracle have already had your fine share of weather changes this year. It makes for a jealous Dutchie here.
“Child," said the Voice, "I am telling you your story, not hers. I tell no one any story but his own.”
Justin of Archenland
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Courtenay » Apr 12, 2020 9:12 am

Justin of Archenland wrote:
The scenery and animals definitely add much to the enjoyment. Although, for some sad reason I have given in to the stereotype that everything in those countries will try to kill me. I haven't recovered from that yet. :p

Oh groan, I knew someone would bring that up. ;) Honestly, I've lived in Australia most of my life — well, the first 30 years of it anyway — and I can assure you, that stereotype is heavily, heavily exaggerated. Unless you're way out in the bush or the outback somewhere, you have almost zero chance of even seeing, let alone getting attacked by, most of our "deadly dangerous" creatures. I think we just make a big deal of them to scare off all the tourists. :p

If you ever do come to Australia, I'm sure you'll love it. Melbourne and many of the surrounding areas (especially along the coast) are particularly beautiful, not that I'm at all biased, of course. :D

Back to the weather, it's been lovely and mild and warm and sunny all Easter weekend here in the UK, but it's supposed to turn quite cold again tomorrow. Probably typical for April, I suppose.
Courtenay
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby fantasia » Apr 12, 2020 12:49 pm

After a late breakfast and egg hunt with the kids this morning, I happened to notice that our forecasted cold front was between where I live (60F) and where my parents live an hour away (39F). My husband and I scrambled to get outside and throw everything warm we could find over our plants. Everything has buds on it and it's supposed to get down into the 20Fs overnight tonight...well below freezing. It's funny, I don't think of having very many plants until I have to cover them all. :P We even attempted to cover our cherry tree, which was...interesting. :))

Hoping this will be the last blast of winter until next Fall.

Courtenay wrote: Honestly, I've lived in Australia most of my life — well, the first 30 years of it anyway — and I can assure you, that stereotype is heavily, heavily exaggerated. Unless you're way out in the bush or the outback somewhere, you have almost zero chance of even seeing, let alone getting attacked by, most of our "deadly dangerous" creatures.

This sounds like Kansas and tornadoes. ;))
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Courtenay » Apr 12, 2020 1:29 pm

fantasia wrote:
Courtenay wrote: Honestly, I've lived in Australia most of my life — well, the first 30 years of it anyway — and I can assure you, that stereotype is heavily, heavily exaggerated. Unless you're way out in the bush or the outback somewhere, you have almost zero chance of even seeing, let alone getting attacked by, most of our "deadly dangerous" creatures.

This sounds like Kansas and tornadoes. ;))

Well, they do have something of a reputation down your way... ;)

But seriously, I never hear anyone wailing that they're terrified of visiting the US because of all the scary deadly dangerous creatures there. Yet you have rattlesnakes, bears, wolves, coyotes, cougars, alligators... obviously not all in the same place (any more than Australia's "deadly" creatures are all found in one place), but you probably have just about as many potentially dangerous animals in America as we do in Australia. But most of us from outside realise that attacks from them are quite rare and you're not likely to get into trouble with any of those critters unless you go wandering in fairly wild areas without knowing what you're doing. Exactly the same with Australian wildlife, and yet ours has this insane reputation. I don't quite understand that. :-s

Hope your plants all survive the cold snap and it's the last you have to worry about for a while!
Courtenay
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Justin of Archenland » Apr 14, 2020 9:20 am

Oh groan, I knew someone would bring that up. ;) Honestly, I've lived in Australia most of my life — well, the first 30 years of it anyway — and I can assure you, that stereotype is heavily, heavily exaggerated. Unless you're way out in the bush or the outback somewhere, you have almost zero chance of even seeing, let alone getting attacked by, most of our "deadly dangerous" creatures. I think we just make a big deal of them to scare off all the tourists.

I'm so sorry. I know it's horrible I have let myself be influenced by such bad illustrations ;;)

I believe you when you say I will probably love spending time in various parts of Australia. It's not very high on my list right now, and I don't have the financial backing, but I will definitely not rule it out!

And fair point about the North American wildlife. I visited Canada when I was younger. Even though I stayed in Ontario, close to Niagara Falls, I was mesmerised by the amount of wildlife I could find nearby. I can imagine having to look out for much more when you actually head into some more foresty parts in either Canada or USA.

After a late breakfast and egg hunt with the kids this morning, I happened to notice that our forecasted cold front was between where I live (60F) and where my parents live an hour away (39F). My husband and I scrambled to get outside and throw everything warm we could find over our plants. Everything has buds on it and it's supposed to get down into the 20Fs overnight tonight...well below freezing. It's funny, I don't think of having very many plants until I have to cover them all. :P We even attempted to cover our cherry tree, which was...interesting.

That must've been quite a special Easter for your family. I hope it was a happy one, nonetheless :)
Justin of Archenland
NarniaWeb Regular

PreviousNext