This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Postby stargazer » Aug 08, 2018 9:23 pm

I also prefer fall, Kalta.

That smoke is affecting air quality over much of the US and southern Canada. The sky here hasn't been that crystal clear blue color for a while. That's partly due to summer humidity but the smoke is also a factor.

The night sky is also affected, with fewer stars visible than usual even here in the suburbs. I was outside a few moments ago and it's so humid it almost takes your breath away. ;))

The next week will be very summer-like, with temperatures higher than normal and the occasional chance for a pop-up thunderstorm.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby aileth » Aug 09, 2018 8:31 am

'gazer wrote:The next week will be very summer-like, with temperatures higher than normal and the occasional chance for a pop-up thunderstorm.

Which is kind of funny--we are supposed to have cooler temperatures, with the chance of thunderstorms. And no rain. More fires, hurray!
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby Puddleglum » Aug 11, 2018 6:15 pm

I can attest to the night sky being covered stargazer. I tried to see some of the meteor shower last night, but I could not even see any of the planets it was so hazy.
It's still humid enough to wear here. The Mrs., and I were getting some garden work done this morning to try finish before it got too bad. Even so we were sweating enough to soak our cloths before it was even 10am.
One plus. This weather seems to have put the local Monarch Butterfly activity into high gear. There have been up to four in our little plot of Cone flowers.
I was able to get three to co operate, and pose for a group picture ( took three tries, who would have thought them as camera shy? ) Sadly all attempts to post this shot have failed.
It is supposed to "cool off " by a few degrees next week, with hopefully some of those pop-up showers you mentioned.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Aug 12, 2018 3:57 pm

aileth wrote:
'gazer wrote:The next week will be very summer-like, with temperatures higher than normal and the occasional chance for a pop-up thunderstorm.

Which is kind of funny--we are supposed to have cooler temperatures, with the chance of thunderstorms. And no rain. More fires, hurray!

It will be spring in two week's time, or else it is spring now. I'm not sure which. We have had the driest winter on record with absolutely no rain. I have to go back on this thread to see when it last rained. A week or so ago there was some derisory shower or the other west of the Blue Mountains, but it only lasted a day. It has been icy cold of a morning at dawn, with temperatures of 3 degrees C the average minimum, and lower elsewhere, such as down to -8C further south from here. However, the maximum midday temperatures go up to 21C or more. Yesterday, on the Central Tablelands, south of the Blue Mountains, it actually snowed which was startling.

We've sent our firemen over to Canada and USA to help with fires over your way. Meanwhile, the only reason why we aren't getting fires here is probably because the drought is making it much harder for vegetation to grow. The wildlife is suffering too.

Edit: Spoke too soon. We are still having bushfires, fortunately some are under control.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Puddleglum » Aug 19, 2018 4:04 pm

Another warm humid day today. But I see radar is raising our hopes again. Earlier we saw a front literally evaporate as it crossed the state border. But this one looks like it might actually provide some much needed rain. Even if it just clears some of this smog from the air. We have already had air quality warnings for the past week.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Aug 19, 2018 8:29 pm

That smoke remains strong over our area. Friday morning dawned partly cloudy, but by noon it was a steel-gray low overcast almost reminiscent of an approaching winter storm - and it was not due to clouds. The satellite pictures showing the smoke swirling toward the south from Canada were pretty impressive.

It might rain tonight; it is getting a little dry by local standards.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Kalta79 » Aug 20, 2018 8:18 am

Smoke still strong here too, another wildfire started around an hour away last week. At least the worst of the smoke seems to have gone, it's been making me constantly feel ill(mild headache/nausea). We had constant smoke last year too, but not this strong. When it gets bad here, I can't run even 10feet without my lungs hurting. I'm glad the weather is cooling down just a few degrees, because every bit helps. Seriously praying for the fires to stay away...we're disabled and can't evacuate without help, plus two of our neighbors are out of town(one for just a week, the other until October sometime), and I'm taking care of their animals/plants for them. The one neighbor with two cats, they're semi-feral and don't trust me yet, they know I've been feeding them, but they don't like me closer than 3ft from them.
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby aileth » Aug 20, 2018 9:11 am

It has been smoky, hasn't it, Kalta? I'm afraid that we're not helping up here--we're making more than we're keeping. Couldn't even tell we had mountains yesterday morning; it lifted a bit by evening so that we could watch the show as the fire crept down the mountain. Much better to see it coming, than to know it's there, and not be able to see it. Today marks twenty days since we've been on evac. alert. Twice this year--first flooding, now fire. However, so far, so good.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth

Postby stargazer » Aug 20, 2018 12:40 pm

Though I've seen it on news coverage, I cannot really imagine how bad the smoke is out there. We are 400 miles/650 km from the nearest fires (those near Winnipeg) and still the skies are gray during the day and stars obscured at night. Some have even reported being able to smell smoke.

This article includes a map of smoke-affected areas across Canada and the northern US.

Stay safe!
stargazer

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Aug 24, 2018 3:54 pm

aileth wrote:It has been smoky, hasn't it, Kalta? I'm afraid that we're not helping up here--we're making more than we're keeping. Couldn't even tell we had mountains yesterday morning; it lifted a bit by evening so that we could watch the show as the fire crept down the mountain. Much better to see it coming, than to know it's there, and not be able to see it. Today marks twenty days since we've been on evac. alert. Twice this year--first flooding, now fire. However, so far, so good.

It would be better if there were no fires at all. How did they come to be? There are severe penalties for deliberately starting fires which some people do, and carelessness with lit cigarettes, for instance, is frowned upon in such weather as you have been having also.

We've had a bit of rain yesterday (24th August) but though we are promised more this weekend, it isn't going to break the drought. The weather man says it was the first rain in seven weeks even in Sydney. These days it seems it is not only Australia that is a land "of droughts and flooding rains". Poor Hawaii!
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Aug 24, 2018 5:43 pm

I believe a person has been arrested and charged with arson regarding one of the large California fires.

Some are caused by people, but the weather itself is a contributor too. Some parts of the US West can have dry thunderstorms - all the lightning of a storm without the rain - which easily can trigger fires given the dry vegetation in the desert areas.

[I just noticed the picture in that wiki article I linked comes from Wagga Wagga, Australia].

Here in the Upper Midwest, we had a beautiful day for the start of the Minnesota State Fair yesterday, with much needed rain coming overnight (including some window-rattling thunder that interrupted sleep).
stargazer

Postby aileth » Aug 25, 2018 11:41 am

waggawerewolf27 wrote:It would be better if there were no fires at all. How did they come to be? There are severe penalties for deliberately starting fires which some people do, and carelessness with lit cigarettes, for instance, is frowned upon in such weather as you have been having also.

Absolutely! Campfire bans are very strict right now, too. Our fire, though, was from lightning, starting July 17. Because it has been a high altitude fire, and burning through inaccessible terrain, they have mainly just let it burn. On several occasions it has burnt down the mountain (making for some really spectacular fire shows) and then Forestry has lit back fires down in the valley. We are well protected by the river and broad irrigated fields, so no houses have been lost to date. Another thunderstorm went through a while back (August 9th, maybe?) and set a few more little ones.

The smoke has cooled our temperatures significantly, making for pleasant fall-feeling weather. That said, we would really, really like some rain now.
aileth

Postby Kalta79 » Aug 26, 2018 3:59 pm

Getting cooler here, and today the smoke is almost gone, such a relief. Fall weather is just about here and that means it's time to start the annual winter prep rush. B-)
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby johobbit » Aug 28, 2018 10:06 am

Oh my! to those dealing with fires too close to your community. :( And hoping that bountiful rain comes very soon. :ymhug:

It's been an interesting summer with some really hot and humid spells (the first half of July, the first week of August, and ... right now :P), but we have also had lots of rain—and some terrific thunderstorms (♥), especially in August. Many of these thunderstorms have had accompanying tornado warnings. There have been a number of funnel sightings in Ontario this summer, even moreso than usual. But with all the precipitation, we have hardly had to water our gardens at all. B-)

This latest thunderstorm ushered in a humid few days with the humidex sitting at 42C/107.6F. Yeah. #:-s Thankfully this is the end of August, so this heat wave will not be long. It is supposed to end tomorrow with more storms blowing through. Thursday and Friday will be very comfortable (21C/high 60sF), then rising again for our long Labour Day weekend, but not as hot as now, rather around 27C/80.6F with some humidex added in too (early 30sC/high 80sF). Then next Wednesday, Sept 5, everything starts cooling down for what looks to be a long time :D with temps around 20C—even the late teens (mid 60sF) during the day, and nighttime will drop to even high single digits Celsius (my favourite walking weather!).

Autumn weather hope is on its way. ;))
johobbit

Postby stargazer » Aug 28, 2018 10:24 pm

...even the late teens (mid 60sF) during the day, and nighttime will drop to even high single digits Celsius (my favourite walking weather!)

Ditto! I was just outside to look at the Moon and Mars, and it's cool and refreshing (temperature 59F/15C). After the recent heat and humidity it feels like autumn and reminds me of how enjoyable it is to stargaze in the fall (it's just after midnight local daylight time).

Tomorrow (Wednesday) will be about as good a day as we get in the summer, with highs around 70F/21C, lots of sunshine, and low humidity. It will warm up again over the long weekend.

Northern Minnesota will see lows around 40F/5C tonight - fall and winter aren't far off!
stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » Aug 29, 2018 4:34 pm

The heat is slacking here, as well as the humidity. #:-s
Even the grass seed I laid down seems to have renewed hope in their little roots. The stuff planted this spring is a bit sparse, (though still fighting on) due to the heat, and humidity, but little moisture.
The storms do seem to be ushering in more cool weather my friend hobbit. Though I am not quite ready for the white stuff as there are still some camping days [-(
I just saw a video of snowfall at Glacier National Park. STAY AWAY!
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

PreviousNext