This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Postby coracle » Jun 26, 2018 2:22 pm

Summer heatwave is definitely on in northern England. After getting used to the idea that they have generally cooler, greyer, damper weather here, temperatures in the upper 20s Celsius are a bit of a surprise.
This is my first proper summer for 18 months, and it was worth waiting for. Missing the rest of my summer clothes which are packed away on the other side of the world.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby johobbit » Jun 28, 2018 2:33 pm

Apparently the heat/humidity system arriving here tomorrow will be hitting dangerous levels ... the highest heat and humidex levels on record for southern, SW, and eastern Ontario. Ever (or at least since records have been kept)!

The forecast temperature is 35C/95F, with the heat index making it feel like 46C/115F! :-o This is supposed to last into Monday, at which time we may have severe storms. But even those are not going to bring the temps down to comfy levels. In fact, the first couple of weeks of July could continue on with very high heat. Summer , ugh. :P

But the country is celebrating Canada Day on Monday, and for our area, anyway, we feel badly for all those planning on attending the many outdoor festivities that day with the potential storms moving in.
johobbit

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jun 28, 2018 4:10 pm

Watch out for bushfires (or wildfires, as you call such fires). Take all precautions you can. It is good weather for an outdoor barbecue, rather than eating inside, but if such facilities aren't provided at a picnic spot, it might be better to take sandwiches and salad instead to eat. Unattended and unsupervised fires, or even a dropped cigarette butt can start fires costing the community millions of dollars worth of damage.

I see in the news that in UK they have been having "Australia-like" summer temperatures, though temperatures are only a relatively balmy 30C. 35C is roughly about normal body temperature. Johobbit, it does look like you are in for a torrid time for southern Canada, and probably northern USA as well? As in Australia, I should imagine that some weather systems are big enough to cross much of the entire Northern American continent, with no respect for borders. Yesterday, for the record it rained here. I had stopped carrying around an umbrella months ago. Today is foggy and the rain will probably clear up now I've found that small umbrella and started carrying it around again.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Jun 28, 2018 6:31 pm

The heat is indeed widespread, wagga, reaching well into the western half of the US. Our predicted high tomorrow should shatter the old record of 93F/34C, with 100F/38C possible and heat index values similar to those in Ontario.

(Local sources indicate the record is 101F so that might be a little harder to achieve).

The humidity is already so high it's like walking into a wall of air to go outside. Sorry, but I cannot imagine having an outdoor barbecue on days like this. ;) In fact, a friend called me with an invite to have a campfire at his house tomorrow; it was tongue in cheek as we're both polar bears.

A number of large wildfires burn in the western US, but the risk here is quite low since it is so green and lush.

Keep cool on Canada Day, Jo! Right now our predictions for the July 4th holiday keep the heat, with temps again closing in on 100F.

And it was only 9 weeks ago we were digging out from mountains of snow. ;))
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby johobbit » Jul 04, 2018 10:37 am

wagga wrote:Johobbit, it does look like you are in for a torrid time for southern Canada

Yuppers! :P A tad of relief yesterday, but the temps are soaring again today, and tomorrow. Thanks to some storms later tomorrow, Friday through Sunday should be normal-like July weather (rather than excessive), but then Monday a heat dome moves in again and sits overhead for awhile. Arrrggghhh.

The Weather Network for our area was showing us temperatures from around the world: we are hotter (temp and humidex) than :-o
Cairo, Egypt
Cozumel, Mexico
Kingston, Jamaica
Mumbai, India

Oh yeah. #:-s Areas here and in eastern Canada are continuing to break records. Very sadly, 15 people in Québec (6 in Montréal) have died from the oppressive heat—mostly those who live in places without A/C.
:(

I had stopped carrying around an umbrella months ago. Today is foggy and the rain will probably clear up now I've found that small umbrella and started carrying it around again.

Yep, Murphy's Law. :P

stargazer wrote: In fact, a friend called me with an invite to have a campfire at his house tomorrow; it was tongue in cheek as we're both polar bears.

;))

I know, eh? Just barely over 2 months ago we had a frigid, icy, and snowy weather in April. ;))
Stay cool and hydrated, everyone!
johobbit

Postby stargazer » Jul 04, 2018 11:00 am

Whew, Jo! Keep cool.

After a couple (relatively) cool, wet days, the heat is on again today, with heat index values expected to approach 100F/39C. A lot depends on how much the sun comes out - that would warm things up, destabilize the humid air outside, and fuel possible severe storms tonight.

Some areas in southwest Minnesota received up to 10 inches (255mm) of rain in about 18 hours as thunderstorms kept forming over the same area (something call "training" since it's like a train going over the same set of tracks over and over again). Some roads are washed out, bridges closed, and farms and small towns under water. That water will eventually drain into the Minnesota River and from there to the Mississippi where those two rivers meet, in the south part of the Twin Cities.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Kalta79 » Jul 05, 2018 7:20 am

It's warm but not hot here in southern Oregon, gonna get hot beginning of next week though. Wish it would rain some, our area is getting hard with new water restrictions, and I would like not to have a fire season like last year. Weeks and weeks of smoke in the air, and nothing you can really do to get away from it without leaving the state.
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jul 05, 2018 3:20 pm

Suddenly the weather has heated up to spring levels. Often we've had hot spots in July, in the middle of what you might be amused to consider as winter, but when we are expecting maximum temperatures of 25 degrees Celsius or more in June it is getting a little ridiculous. I feel like I am a too rugged up snow #:-s woman.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Jul 11, 2018 12:04 pm

Our weather, meanwhile, has settled into a typical summer pattern - warm days, sometimes sunny, sometimes with thunderstorms. The heat is on again today, with heat index values again over 100F/39C. We are approaching our annual average of 90F days, and the hottest part of the summer is yet to come.
stargazer

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jul 14, 2018 11:17 pm

Meanwhile we are "enjoying" a wintry minimum of 1C at 6.00 am, just in time to rise and shine. Well, rise is okay, but nobody seems to be all that shining, on a cold and frosty morning. ;) With the Roaring Forties and any rain they bring with them, well to the south, we continue a long dry spell, with clear skies, relatively low temperatures, and warmish midday maximums. Not much wind either.

It is mid July now. Only six more weeks to Autumn. :)
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Kalta79 » Jul 15, 2018 8:42 am

It's acting like it might rain this morning, I hope so. Woke up to thunder and only saw one lightning flash, and nothing for a while, but I'm hoping it still rains, we need it. At least it's keeping it cooler.
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Puddleglum » Jul 15, 2018 1:29 pm

There is no way of really enjoying this sort of weather. Many of th water parks are doing brisk business I am sure #:-s
There was a warning posted for bee keepers about leaving trays of water near the hives to keep the little honey makers hydrated. So may of us forget to think of the non-talking beasts in this heat. I was reminded of this when i was picking raspberries the last few days. Several of them were literally "sucked dry" by the ants who no doubt are also seeking sources of water. As impatient as I am with the little six legged plunderers I can understand their dilemma.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Jul 23, 2018 11:43 am

We've settled into a pretty seasonal pattern, warm and humid with occasional storms, but thankfully the heat we had earlier this summer is absent.

I was reminded today that weather is a little like baseball in that there is a statistic for everything. The TV weather report today noted that the temperature here has not dropped below 60F/15C in 41 days - the 9th longest such string on record. If we make it through this week we're almost a shoo-in for one of the top 5 positions.

In a way it was just another reminder that winter and cooler temps are never far off here in the north country. ;)) (It's only 50 days till the start of the possible snow season).
stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » Jul 31, 2018 6:52 pm

Winter is never far off in this Northern country. Perhaps it is the only thing keeping some of us sane when water flows down the back by measurable amounts as we mow the lawn.
If my calendar is not lying, we have but two months before the white stuff can be falling. Was it not just so short a time, and we were wondering when we would feel the warmth of a sunny summer? Strange the fickle mind when we consider the seasons.
A brief respit from the humidity is in the forcaste, but alase, it comes back with a vengence this weekend with temps in the upper 90'sF predicted for Saturday, with storms blooming.
Ah well. Perhaps a good downpour will permit me to shower, and do my laundry all at once. Just a bit of shampoo on the noggin, and scrub as it works down. The rain just has to last long enough for a good rinse.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Puddleglum » Aug 05, 2018 6:14 pm

Back from the latest camping trip, and wet does not even come close to covering what happened. Friday night was a down pour. Depending on what news station it was from 3 1/2, to 4 1/4 inches that fell in a couple hours. I had already set up my tent, and was standing in it calling the Mrs. to let her know I was safe even as lightning was flashing overhead, with rain falling outside. I had just finished when I realized I was standing in water :-o
Not a good thing.
Needless to say, I had to move, EVERYTHING!
Some time later, this very tired marsh-wiggle slumped into a cot in a very exhausted sleep.
Saturday was very little sun, and wind, so unfortunatly we did not see much for drying. Today. While cooler, only 64F, had the high humidity was felt by all as we packed up to head home.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Kalta79 » Aug 05, 2018 8:18 pm

We've been enjoying slightly cooler weather with less smoke in the air, but it's about to get hotter again, and the smoke is moving back in as well. Summer will be over soon at least...I prefer fall weather.
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

PreviousNext