This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Postby Puddleglum » Jul 21, 2019 8:30 pm

Hope you have some relief soon wagga.
The heat has broken :ymhug:
At least for today.
The Mrs., and I enjoyed a pleasant evening out side birdwatching of all things. We have a very active pair of Cardinals as neighbors, and the fellow does enjoy breaking into song on occasion. We had a rabbit come rather close while we simply enjoyed the 75F temps with a faint breeze to keep most of the flying pests away. If the weather people are accurate we shall actually see mid 50'sF tonight.
Alas. It will slowly come to an end as the week progresses. The climb in temps to the mid 80's, with humidity is to culminate in storms on Friday #:-s
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Jul 29, 2019 4:17 pm

The spectacular thunderstorm last Friday night barely missed this area, though I had the interesting sight of watching lightning flash all around but seeing stars overhead.

There were 5 tornadoes in the area yesterday afternoon, a little unusual since one of the usual drivers (heat) wasn't really present. But there was plenty of moisture in the air and spin aloft. They were determined later to be EF-1.

One of them went through a small town near the state park we'd been visiting just hours before. No injuries have been reported yet.

The storm then moved into western Wisconsin where more tornadoes damaged areas that had been hit just days before.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Cleander » Jul 30, 2019 6:52 pm

This evening we were subjected to a somewhat vehement thunderstorm which managed to cause an hour-long power outage... which in turn caused us to have to devour an undercooked roast (that had unfortunately been sitting in the oven when the lights went out) in order to keep it from going to waste. Eating underdone roast in the dark isn't my idea of a fun night, but I'll admit it was interesting! :D
PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby aileth » Jul 31, 2019 8:42 am

When I was growing up, we quite frequently had power outages, Cleander, (we were reasonably remote, and drivers seemed to have an affection for the utility poles along the highway (or a heavy snowfall or thunderstorm would do it)). Then out would come the box of candles (after rushing to fill buckets and jugs of water); it became quite a pleasant tradition.

At least we had a wood cookstove for our food--was the roast still mooing when you ate it?
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby Cleander » Jul 31, 2019 12:50 pm

aileth wrote:
At least we had a wood cookstove for our food--was the roast still mooing when you ate it?

No, it wasn't mooing; it was a pork roast, actually.

It just wouldn't stop squealing!! =))
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Aug 08, 2019 12:23 pm

If summer weather was always like what we're having today and tomorrow, I'd be thrilled! Low humidity, highs around 75F/24C, with clear blue skies sometimes dotted with fair-weather cumulus clouds...

Earlier this week summer showed its uglier side, with extremely humid air leading to explosive thunderstorms, heavy rain, and hail. Here we only had a few minutes of pea-sized hail, but only a few miles away much larger hail was smashing car windows and damaging houses.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Aug 19, 2019 4:12 pm

You could try our winter weather, in its last month. Really cold, down to 2 degrees Celsius this morning at 6.00am, but there is more than a hint of spring in the air. The midday temperatures, however go up sometimes as high as 25C, though yesterday it was only 20C. The wattle has bloomed, though not the orange blossom, yet. Two months ago our tree produced these wonderful oranges, many of them looking perfect, a large juicy variety, a freebie from our pet orange tree. We gave them away to charity.

It is a good time to check the plumbing & ensure there are no leaking taps. We are on level 2 water restrictions & we have to dismantle our old swimming pool, still half-full of water, despite emptying it entirely last August.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Sep 04, 2019 4:51 pm

Those temperatures sound wonderful!

We're into meteorological autumn here and the weather lately has been quite pleasant. Highs around 70F/21C with crisp, clear skies and low humidity. Summer is still hanging on in that we've had some big storms pop up, including an EF-1 tornado the other night just west of the metro area.

I love this time of year. The weather can be awesome, the sun is setting before 8pm local daylight time (so I don't have to stay up late to get a chance to stargaze), and there are hints of fall in the air.
stargazer

Postby johobbit » Sep 05, 2019 4:53 am

wagga wrote:Though 45 degrees C does sound a bit too hot for Canada.

It is! :P Thankfully we do not get many days like oppressive in the summer. One is too many. ;))

Friend Wiggle wrote: We have a very active pair of Cardinals as neighbors, and the fellow does enjoy breaking into song on occasion. We had a rabbit come rather close

We have been putting sunflower seeds out, and the Cardinal couple are some who thoroughly enjoy them. Aren't they beautiful birds?! I often see the male feeding the female a seed, or so it appears. Really sweet.

As for rabbits, we have quite a few here, and have had to put a good netting fence around one of our veggie gardens, otherwise the delicious veggies would be demolished by those cute, fluffy critters. :P

Cleander wrote:Eating underdone roast in the dark isn't my idea of a fun night, but I'll admit it was interesting! :D

aileth wrote:At least we had a wood cookstove for our food--was the roast still mooing when you ate it?

:))

stargazer wrote:I love this time of year.

Ditto! The next couple of months truly is the most wonderful time of the year, imho too. The crisp air, the anticipation of the leaves turning colour (and some already just beginning), the earlier stargazing (and later in the morning hours) ... so beautiful and fresh!

It's funny: this year, as soon as school began (the day after Labour Day here in Ontario), the weather abruptly changed. Nights are often hitting single digits (Celsius); days are in the high teens/very low 20s (again, Celsius). Really lovely! I am getting back in to walking in the early morning hours again because of the very comfortable—even chilly—air, which is wonderful!
:D
johobbit

Postby Wunderkind_Lucy » Sep 05, 2019 12:58 pm

johobbit wrote:It's funny: this year, as soon as school began (the day after Labour Day here in Ontario), the weather abruptly changed. Nights are often hitting single digits (Celsius); days are in the high teens/very low 20s (again, Celsius). Really lovely! I am getting back in to walking in the early morning hours again because of the very comfortable—even chilly—air, which is wonderful!

I wish we had crisp autumn weather. The weather here in Georgia stays quite warm until about Thanksgiving. The change from "summer" to "winter" is often so abrupt that we don't really get a chance to enjoy any "sweater" weather. :(

Are any of you all affected by Hurricane Dorian? I think it's supposed slip past us although coastal Georgia is affected.

~Wunder
Wunderkind_Lucy
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Sep 07, 2019 5:31 pm

johobbit wrote:It is! :P Thankfully we do not get many days like oppressive in the summer. One is too many. ;))

Welcome to an Australian midsummer. :ymdevil: Where 45 degrees Celsius is not unusual.

We are still far too dry. No thunderstorms even when it did get too warm by lunchtime last week. :( We are on level 2 water restrictions, when we are expected to limit the time to linger under a shower by at least a minute to 3 minutes. A town up along the New South Wales/Queensland border, Stanthorpe, has a bushfire blazing but has run out of water entirely to fight it with. Stanthorpe is a moderately sized town, so the drought thickens. It is windy at the moment with a cold edge to it, like deep fried ice-cream.

Wunderkind_Lucy wrote: I wish we had crisp autumn weather. The weather here in Georgia stays quite warm until about Thanksgiving.

We are having nice crisp spring weather at the moment, would that do? :D We have been hearing about Dorian the Hurricane on the news, & my prayers go with the people there, & in the Bahamas, not so far away. We won't get the balancing equivalent cyclone season until the beginning of next year, if that.

PS: We heard on last night's news that somehow or other, Dorian found its way up to Canada? That's terrible! Is everyone okay?
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Sep 12, 2019 9:00 pm

Meanwhile, here it is too wet. Some areas have received 10 inches (255mm) of rain in the last couple days, and we're on track to notching the wettest year on record.

Portions of Interstate 90 in southern Minnesota were closed due to flooding - and this is part of the road that closed last winter in a whiteout blizzard.

Everything sure is lush and green - except for a few autumn colors appearing in trees. And summer's not over yet; next week could see a few days approaching 90F/32C.

This is part of the same weather system that brought 3 EF-2 tornadoes to Sioux Falls, South Dakota earlier this week (it's several hours southwest of here). Many buildings were damaged but injuries were limited fortunately.
stargazer

Postby fantasia » Sep 17, 2019 8:43 am

We are looking at the last few days of summer, temperature-wise. Today and tomorrow will be in the low to mid 90Fs, and then a cool front comes through on Thursday late night/Friday morning. After that, I don't see a single 90F in the forecast and most highs are in the low 80Fs to upper 70Fs. :ymparty:
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Cleander » Sep 17, 2019 12:45 pm

Congrats on the cooling weather, fantasia! :D
I got up this morning and was thrilled to feel ever so slightly cold! :-o Temperatures tend to still be getting up in the 90's now and then around here, but highs are just beginning to drop. Winter is coming! :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Sep 18, 2019 5:57 pm

Summer is having one last gasp here as well, with the last few days approaching 90F/32C and high humidity, with heat index values in the mid-90s (about 35C). It feels like July instead of September, except that the sun is setting shortly after 7pm and some leaves are beginning to change colors.
stargazer

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Sep 21, 2019 5:19 pm

Today or tomorrow is our Spring Equinox, 22 September, 2019. We did get a nice drop of rain last week, our best rain for months. Unfortunately it didn't put a stop to the drought just yet. There may now be more rain, we hope, though. It will soon be daylight saving as well. Before this rain came, it was getting a bit warmer, but last week minimum temperatures well below normal, & this morning at 6.00 am was quite nippy. Now the weather is nice & mild for Spring, but it won't be long before it warms up. There was a kookaburra laughing this morning. Some wildlife remains around here.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

PreviousNext