This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Postby Puddleglum » Feb 24, 2019 7:48 pm

We were "missed by a mile" as the saying goes this time. The heavy snows struck the southern part of our state, as well as neighboring Wisconsin with a fury. Some areas receiving 10 to 12 inches of snow.
We still received about an inch, but with the 30, to 45 Mile-an-hour gusts it drifted in tight packs on the lee side of anything that did not blow away.
Not that we are totally "out of the woods", what with March just starting mid week, but a breather in the constant snow is nice.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Feb 25, 2019 11:12 am

The Twin Cities also dodged the bullet, only receiving about 4 inches (100mm) of snow, consistent with forecasts. But the wind was still pretty severe.

Southern Minnesota got hammered, however. I grew up there and it's flat agricultural country, with little to stop the ferocious north winds blowing the snow. Facebook posts show drifts up to the roofs of houses and other buildings, and hundreds of miles of highways remained closed. (Interstate 90 is particularly vulnerable to this since it runs east-west so the wind blows snow across it). Several towns opened up the National Guard Armories to house people trapped due to closed roads, and local churches are providing shelter too. There are even stories of National Guard military vehicles getting stuck in the drifts.

Oh and more snow is coming this week.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby johobbit » Feb 25, 2019 2:25 pm

Oh my, wagga, what a terrible thing that occurred in North Queensland. I am so very sorry to hear of all this loss. Poor, poor farmers. :(

We are definitely having a winter storm here, yet nothing like southern MN has, yikes! That reminds me of Montréal's Storm of the Century in 1971. My family lived there then: the city was shut down for days, with drifts piling up to the top windows of 2 story houses. The banks were at least 12'. I clearly recall trying to shovel our front sidewalk from the driveway to the front door: the banks became so high as we piled more and more snow on them that to toss even more snow, we had to carefully back out with our laden shovel-full to a somewhat clearer spot, then let the next person head in for another go. ;)) Great memories, actually, working hard on clearing this long, narrow path with my dad and brother (my sister was too young to help). And at times like this, neighbours really come together.

Anyway, back to the present: we have had a terrific windstorm, beginning yesterday noon and just easing up now, with gusts up to 110 kms/nearly 70 miles an hour. I am amazed we did not have a power outage (rather, only a few flickers), 'though many areas did. Accompanying the wind came snow with whiteout conditions in the rural areas. Sometimes I could not see across our street. And the squalls would descend so suddenly. But the drifts this morning were beautiful (and deep), as if someone had exquisitely sculpted them.

More snow is expected on Wednesday, then again this weekend. March may be coming in like a Lion. ;))
johobbit

Postby aileth » Feb 25, 2019 2:36 pm

Oh dear! More snow for you people! And the locals here are congratulating us on bringing in an early spell of nice weather. The daffodils and crocuses(croci?) and aconites are blooming, along with gorse and wild plum(or something very like it). The jackdaws have returned to Carisbrook Castle and are relining their nests; there are scads of other birds as well, especially noticeable at sunrise. I think that Aslan is on the move, at least in the Isle of Wight.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Feb 25, 2019 5:47 pm

johobbit wrote:Oh my, wagga, what a terrible thing that occurred in North Queensland. I am so very sorry to hear of all this loss. Poor, poor farmers. :(

We are definitely having a winter storm here, yet nothing like southern MN has, yikes! That reminds me of Montréal's Storm of the Century in 1971.

Yes, it is a terrible business, indeed. Especially for the graziers' herds. It will take years to recover from something like that. Something like 500,000 head of cattle altogether, swept away by the water, with many dying of pneumonia afterwards. Unfortunately it isn't a good time of the year, with so many cows calving etc. It was like all the aid sent to farmers & graziers, because of a long-running drought before that Monsoon Trough hit, was wasted. :( Gone! Apparently, there was a radar or satellite blackout so the graziers (ranchers) around Julia Creek didn't have anywhere near enough time to get their herds to safety in such a big area. Due to that monsoon trough the Ross River at Townsville burst its banks so the mozzies might be bad up there as well. Talk about the 10 plagues of Egypt!

It seems that Minnesota, as well as Canada, has been having a very snowy time. But, Aileth, when you were talking about the Isle of Wight as well as daffodils & crocuses, I thought you also came from Canada.

Summer here is officially over on Thursday, but the weather is more autumn-like already. There is even a bit of an autumn chill at night. But there still isn't much rain.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby aileth » Feb 27, 2019 6:58 am

wagga wrote:It seems that Minnesota, as well as Canada, has been having a very snowy time. But, Aileth, when you were talking about the Isle of Wight as well as daffodils & crocuses, I thought you also came from Canada.

You're right, wagga, I do come from Canada, near the sunny Okanagan, where we always watch for rain with anxiety when it doesn't fall, and relief when it does. However, my brother and I are making a trip-of-a-lifetime stay in England; we're planning to be here for four months, and we'll see absolutely everything ;) ;) Riiiiight! Oh well, we'll see a lot, anyway. I mentioned this in the Various Vacations thread (with a blog link), but if you're like me at all, you might have missed it. My eye always seems to skip over that spot.

But as to the weather, we know to expect rain and such, and are just lapping up the sunshine while we can. There were still snow piles in Vancouver when we left. In Vancouver. Where it hardly ever snows at all, never mind enough to accumulate on the ground.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby stargazer » Mar 01, 2019 5:38 pm

Last time I was in Vancouver, aileth, it was a toasty 40C. Whew!

February went into the books here as the 4th-snowiest month ever, with 39 inches/990mm. And winter isn't done yet; we're getting piles of snow today as March begins. If this snowy pattern continues, we could challenge the all-time season record, dating back to the 80s. (I remember the mountains of snow back then, and now we're duplicating them. ;)) )

This weekend may break cold weather records dating back into the 1870s, with high temps struggling to reach 0F/-17C.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby fantasia » Mar 01, 2019 8:00 pm

Your storm will be here tomorrow night and we're going to actually attempt to compete with you on this. They're not sure what part of the storm is going to hit us, so they're saying 3" minimum, but upwards of 8" if we get hit with the heavy stuff.
And it's going to get cold... -1F, which is saying something here. All of my friends, and my kids, and many other people I know are ready for spring. ;)) But there's another winter storm in the forecast for late next week so it's not over yet.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby fantasia » Mar 04, 2019 8:35 pm

Today was bitterly cold. Wind chills were around -7F I think. Just need to survive through tomorrow and then we should warm up about 20F to normal temps this time of year (around 40F-45F). Looking forward to it!
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby stargazer » Mar 05, 2019 10:21 pm

Our weather has yet to get the memo that it's March. ;)) Temperatures are running 20F or more below average.

The low early March 3 was -13F/-25°C, tying the daily record set in 1873. The high that day was -18°C (0°F), breaking the record for the coldest high for March 3 (-14°C/6°F) also set in 1873. March 4 barely missed setting similar records, with the high reaching a blistering 9F/-13C.

This upcoming weekend may be closer to average but there is a big storm expected somewhere in the central US and it's still too early to tell if we're in the snow bullseye or not.
stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » Mar 07, 2019 8:16 pm

I have been watching the news for the upcoming storm heading into the state. Depending what station again you hear anything from six, to twelve inches. The real worry is the whiteout conditions, especially for those on the road. The multi car pile up in Wisconsin during that last blow involved several hundred.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby fantasia » Mar 07, 2019 9:13 pm

Where I live, we are just east of this massive storm you're talking about Puddleglum. But we're now out of the freezing line for the year, and tornado season is upon us. I think southeast Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas and southwest Missouri are all in line for tornadoes tomorrow and Saturday.

Meanwhile, next week looks to be incredibly wet. I don't see any storms in the forecast though.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Ryadian » Mar 07, 2019 9:20 pm

I don't follow the forecast fastidiously, but after the big snowstorm this weekend (on Saturday, thankfully, not a workday for once!), we're apparently supposed to get rain next week Wednesday. I only know this because I have a coworker who is far too excited about this fact. ;)) He's hoping this means that the snow will be melting soon.

I didn't have the heart to tell him that I think that means we'll either just have ice or gray, or both, for the next month or so. Early spring is always my least favorite time of year, but after this particular year... maybe it'll actually kind of be worth it. ;)) I love winter, but even I got sick of winter this year. Maybe if we had winter instead of just February.
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
Ryadian

Postby coracle » Mar 08, 2019 5:25 am

Where I am living, in west London UK, the weather is still cool but not freezing as it was this time last year when I lived in the north of England.
It still feels cold sitting in the house during the day when I am job hunting online, as we don't have heating on until the early evening.
At least the daylight hours are much longer now.
The garden has cheerful pots of daffodils now, and the bushes have tiny leaves waiting to grow into big ones.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby fantasia » Mar 12, 2019 7:08 am

A good chunk of the USA is supposed to be rainy over the next few days. (We had some thunder this morning! :x ) However, what's intriguing me is that we have a very high wind warning for tomorrow. We are supposed to gust anywhere from 60-80mph. :-s That's actually very concerning as it brings down trees and powerlines.
Now, here in Kansas, we're used to straight line winds, as are our trees. I often joke we have some of the ugliest trees in the world as they're always being snapped apart by ice and wind, but even so, tomorrow will definitely be a day to stay indoors!
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby stargazer » Mar 12, 2019 11:01 pm

I couldn't help chuckling at the joke about the Kansas trees, fantasia.

Our snow pack is around 20 inches/500mm but going down fast since the temperature actually has risen above freezing, but also due to the rain moving in from this big storm. With all the lakes and rivers around here, localized flooding is expected to be widespread, and the race to fill sandbags is on.

This is a huge, powerful storm impacting much of the US. A weather person noted that in terms of central low pressure, it's equivalent to a category 2 hurricane.
stargazer

PreviousNext