This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Postby Puddleglum » May 11, 2013 9:53 pm

Greetings to all fellow Narnians, and other characters, be you from literature, or just that way from birth.
I have been asked to re-start the weather forum since the last one has reached it's limit of posts. So here goes my attempt at a first installment.
Today was blustery, and to say that I mean it was bad enough to scare stuffed bears, and piglets. I have heard no official wind speeds as yet, and thankfully nothing of trees with, or without owls in them toppling over #:-s
Apparently there was some hail just to the south of here yesterday according to the Scouts who were setting up camp. Nothing damaging, but I think it was quite the memory maker for the younger ones to pass on when they become the seasoned veterans.
Next week has been forecast as in the 70's, with a possible jump into the 80's on Tuesday. I will believe it when I'm sweating /:)
All for now. Keep well.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Re: Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Postby stargazer » May 11, 2013 10:06 pm

Some Twin Cities TV stations are forecasting temperatures exceeding 90F on Tuesday. Whew! Especially since we're going to be close to 32F/0C tonight.

This weekend's fishing opener was the iciest in recent memory. Tonight's news reports showed 'ice mountains' up to 30 feet high on the south shore of Lake Mille Lacs, caused when the ice covering the lake broke up and was driven ahead of strong winds to collect near houses and other structures. More here, including a photo gallery linked at the end of the article.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby waggawerewolf27 » May 11, 2013 11:30 pm

Wow! It looks like someone got rather too busy with soap suds. So as well as a Lake Superior, a Lake Huron, Lake Ontario (Canada), and a Lake Erie, you also have a Red Lake and a Lake Mille-Lac?

It's weird, but we haven't had the rain we are supposed to be getting this time of year. The weather has cooled down, but mainly at night. Otherwise it is beautiful at the moment.

Maybe a bit too beautiful. In SA they had bushfires. They have been backburning in our Blue Mountains to ensure there aren't a repeat of them here.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby IloveFauns » May 12, 2013 1:41 am

It has been bleak and rainy most of the week, I love it. I know thats an odd thing to say but after a long summer it is a nice change.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby TheGentleWarrior » May 12, 2013 10:22 am

Last week/weekend it was gorgeous out. The temperatures were in the mid 70's to low 80's fahrenheit and we walked nearly every day in the late afternoon around town, window shopping and enjoying the flowering trees and weather.

The sun was out nearly every day too, and I've finally been able to go to my dance classes without sweatpants and a coat for awhile now! It was just how May is supposed to be...

This weekend has changed drastically though. It's so miserable right now. It's dark and dreary. The highs have barely gotten over 40F for two days now! We're also under a freeze watch, and there may be a slight chance of snow further up north.

Really? Mother Nature, I think you've forgotten what month it is!
:P
Proud ballet dancer!
4/23/12 - First triple pirouette en pointe!
TheGentleWarrior
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Aslanisthebest » May 12, 2013 5:45 pm

The weather has been a little bit inconsistent, but it was sunny today, so I won't complain too much. It was around the 50s. Tomorrow looks warmer, and Wednesday especially looks rather warm out. I'm hoping the temperatures stay consistent so I can put my tomatoes and peppers out.
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby IloveFauns » May 13, 2013 2:56 am

The air is so much fresher this time of year compared to summer(australian summer that is). Most people spend more time outside in the summer for me it is the winter, no wonder I am so pale.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby GlimGlum » May 13, 2013 3:33 pm

We reached 101F/38.3C today. I thought summer was next month. :-o
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby fantasia » May 14, 2013 7:30 am

*waves at the Minnesotians, Jo, and DiGs* Enjoying your cold weather up in the northeast? ;) That footage of the "ice tsunamis" around the great lakes were something else. :-o

So glad that cold didn't drop down to Kansas this time around. We've been enjoying downright lovely weather here. :D Upper 70Fs to mid 80Fs. Today might hit 90F but then it's going to cool off again with a chance for some thunderstorms later this week. :) \:D/
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby johobbit » May 14, 2013 1:43 pm

Welcome, Weather topic part II! And thanks, Puddleglum, our very own esteemed Marshwiggle, for opening this. :)

stargazer, I am aghast at the ‘Ice Tsunami’ article and photos. :-o Wowser!

How are those bushfires, wagga? Getting under control?

IloveFauns wrote:It has been bleak and rainy most of the week, I love it. I know thats an odd thing

I'm with you there, IlF. I find rain so refreshing (as long as it clears at dark so the night sky shines bright. ;))) And I"m glad you're enjoying some fresher air now. :)

TGW wrote:Really? Mother Nature, I think you've forgotten what month it is! :P

Indeed! These past few days have been more like late March than mid-May: cool, near-freezing at night with some frost, windy. What does this portend for the summer, I wonder ... ? :-\

#:-s Glimmie, that is H.O.T.!!! Especially compared to our 9C/48.2F yesterday. ;))

I hope you get those thunderstorms, fantasia! *waves back* And that you can get your plants out soon, Bella! :D As for us, we have been warned again not to plant until after our long weekend (this coming wknd), and it falls early this year, so we should even wait until a week or so later. Frost can still bite us even now here in the wild northlands. ;)

We had hail over the weekend and again a bit yesterday. Tomorrow is rainy, then sunny for a couple of days, after which comes our long May weekend with more rain on Sunday and Monday. That's okay, though: this weather is so much better than last year, which was warm far too early and dry far too long. This year is a much better balance. :)
johobbit

Postby Puddleglum » May 14, 2013 1:52 pm

Looks like the weather is all over the place, not just geologically.
We started in the low 40's this morning, and I saw it was 91 on the way home at a little past 3 #:-s
Thankfully the humidity is not caught up, yet.
I have not checked the news, but last I saw it's supposed to rain this weekend, just in time for my first rendezvous of the year :((
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » May 14, 2013 3:14 pm

A walk down memory lane:

Johnny Carson: It was so hot today...

Ed McMahon and audience: How hot was it??

Well, just 10 days ago we were shoveling out 12-18 inches of wet, heavy snow. Today records were shattered across southern Minnesota; here it was 99F/37C, beating the old record for the date (92F/33C) set in 1932. Some towns nearby passed the 100F mark. And it's so windy branches are falling off the trees - some, perhaps, weakened by all that snow.

But as Puddleglum noted, it's a dry heat (not that this matters much to a polar bear!) - so red flag (high fire danger) warnings are up for most of Minnesota and the Dakotas.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » May 15, 2013 10:15 am

Wow. . . that's insane, Gazer!

It's actually a very pleasant day here today. Highs in the mid to upper seventies (very dry heat), cloudy and a wonderful breeze blowing through the trees. It's so nice to have the breeze flowing into the house through the open windows.

This comes on the eve of a really cold snap. We had overnight lows in the 20's, which is just ludacris for this time of year. We actually had some snow fall on Mother's Day, which I can never remember happening in my lifetime.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby stargazer » May 16, 2013 1:35 pm

Snow, Digs? I kind of miss it already. ;))

It turns out I was incorrect in that last post. Some time later I found the actual high in Albert Lea that day was 102F/39C, not a 'mere' 99. It's the earliest date for triple-digit heat for that locale, and only the second such reading in May.

Yesterday and today were much cooler but still above average (around 75-80F/25C). One thing that is nice is that the low humidity means it cools quickly at night, unlike that muggy summer air that holds the heat all night.

It's spring wildflower time in southern Minnesota and the show is on in full force if a few weeks late due to snow. The trout lilies and false rue anemones (featured in my current avatar) are blooming by the tens of thousands in nearby state parks.
stargazer

Postby waggawerewolf27 » May 16, 2013 4:16 pm

johobbit wrote:How are those bushfires, wagga? Getting under control?

Yes, the bushfires are all gone. Down Victoria way it has been snowing, but it still remains dry here. Dry but chilly, especially at night. At midday it is more like 20C (about 68F). 70F or 22C is supposed to be the mean temperature set in air conditiioning for optimal human comfort.

It seems like the weather Up Over has gone crazy. It seems you are already getting tornadoes, in Northern Texas. Are they a summer or a winter thing? Yesterday's paper said they had similar-looking water spouts off the coast of Western Australia.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby fantasia » May 16, 2013 4:31 pm

wagga wrote:It seems you are already getting tornadoes, in Northern Texas.
As bad as it was, the tornadoes this spring have been surprisingly lacking. In fact I heard on the news tonight that we've only had 22% of the normal tornadoes in a typical stormy spring. I'm usually running to the basement a couple times a year, but so far we've only had bitty hail.

In tornado alley (the midwest), we typically get tornadoes March through June. I know they get them in the southeast part of the USA, but I'm not sure when exactly. I think during the summer and hurricane season?

Last year in that crazy mid-April tornado outbreak, there were 114 confirmed tornadoes, and more were reported, but not confirmed. The majority of those were in Kansas.

I guess this weekend there's a chance for a tornado outbreak in the midwest though.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Next