This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Postby johobbit » Jul 29, 2013 11:27 am

fk wrote:One guy said he's been "Sweating like a chicken." ;))

:)) Never heard that one before, lol.

After the super heat a few days ago (posted above) we've been having cooler than normal weather here. ... We've had some of those perfect pop-up thunderstorms where they're nothing but some thunder and rain. I LOVE those.

I can ditto you in all that! The heat around mid-July (see my last post ^) was horrendous, but when it finally broke, it has been cooler than normal, with a number of lovely thunderstorms, climaxing on July 19th when they rolled and roared through the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) for 5-6 hours. Glorious!

Ahh, IlF, -2C sounded lovely when we were in our major heat wave. ;))

Sounds like you're getting the cooler-than-usual summer temps too, Puddleglum and stargazer. Overall, the air is so much more manageable this year, isn't it (except for that nasty spell earlier)? :)

stargazer wrote:but a cold front coming down from Canada is bringing much cooler air than is seasonal

Our pleasure to oblige in this way. :))

fk wrote:We've been getting a lot of fantastic rain as well which has truly been a blessing after two years of severe drought. :)

Us too, yet your drought was worse than ours. Grateful for all the rain this year. Whereas in 2012 at this time, everything was brown, parched, and ugly; this year, all the vegetation, including the grass, is lush and green and growing so well. Hurrah for consistent rainfall!

This week we remain a bit below average (today is quite below, as it's only 20C/68F), and the upcoming weekend, a long one for us, is only hitting a high of 21C/basically 70F ... so unusual for this time of year. However, I, too, am not complaining at all, no sirree! So thankful for the more refreshing air and, again, for all the life-giving precipitation.

I am still waiting for the nights to get 10C/50F and below before I start up my morning walks again. And August is this Thursday! :-o :D July is always our hottest month, and it's nearly behind us, yay!
johobbit

Postby stargazer » Jul 29, 2013 12:47 pm

Ditto how much nicer this summer has been, with the cooler temps and the lush vegetation. :)

Yesterday morning my parents' small southern Minnesota town set a new record low for the date, 46F/8C. This just after the hottest time of year. And on Saturday, nearby Rochester set a new record for the coolest high temperature for the date...61F/16C. So pleasant! Not to mention the savings on the electricity bill.

Summer-like warmth is expected to return this week, but still not to the extremes we sometimes get.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » Jul 29, 2013 8:01 pm

Definitly cooler. Far less humid as well. It's nice to go to work, and not feel like I've been in a sauna #:-s
Got back from camping with one of the siblings, and was happy that I took the cold weather sleeping bag. Snoozed right well when I warmed up (-| Though getting out of a nice warm sleeping bag in the middle of the night to check the outhouse door tends to wake me up quick.
I must not complain too much though. My Scout Troop is up in the Boundry Waters Canoe Area this week. Wonder if they remembered the long underwear :-s
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Aravanna » Jul 29, 2013 9:57 pm

It's so wet for Kansas. What is this? O_o Anyways, I won't rehash what FK has already said, needless to say, it's strange.

Jo wrote:Us too, yet your drought was worse than ours. Grateful for all the rain this year. Whereas in 2012 at this time, everything was brown, parched, and ugly; this year, all the vegetation, including the grass, is lush and green and growing so well. Hurrah for consistent rainfall!

Sounds like we've had very similar weather patterns for being in such different climates. :P But yes, it's refreshing for the sky to take care of the plants without human intervention. Last year I felt I was barely stringing my flowers along under the gaze of a resentful sun.

And 46F 'gazer? Brrrrr! Too cold. (I know there are a few people here who will disagree with me.) ;)
Aravanna
Moderator Emeritus

Postby stargazer » Jul 30, 2013 10:25 am

46F is perfect camping weather!

The Boundary Waters, Puddleglum? I bet it is cool up there right now...but that might help keep the mosquitoes and flies at bay just a bit.

Last year I felt I was barely stringing my flowers along under the gaze of a resentful sun.

I really like this expression! It paints a vivid mental image for me.

Today is cloudy and cool by summer standards, but extremely humid. I suspect warm southern air is bubbling up, just waiting for the right moment to deposit yet more rain. ;))
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby johobbit » Jul 30, 2013 11:53 am

Puddleglum wrote:My Scout Troop is up in the Boundry Waters Canoe Area this week. Wonder if they remembered the long underwear :-s

If it's cool here, I can't imagine what it would be like there. Ahhh, so beautiful. And as 'gazer mentioned, at least the nasty bugs may be few and far between. Hoping they have a grand time!

Aravanna wrote:Sounds like we've had very similar weather patterns for being in such different climates. :P But yes, it's refreshing for the sky to take care of the plants without human intervention. Last year I felt I was barely stringing my flowers along under the gaze of a resentful sun.

So lovely to see you in here, Ara! :D And, indeed ... a cooler, wetter summer for each of us, overall, even though we are hundreds of miles apart and quite different in both longitude and latitude.
*utterly agrees with stargazer how that last sentence compels such imagery in one's mind's eye* (Aravanna, somehow your writing has always really drawn me in, and even this smaller example is no exception.)

Ara wrote:And 46F 'gazer? Brrrrr! Too cold. (I know there are a few people here who will disagree with me.) ;)

Ha! And 3 guesses who those folk would be. ;)) :D

Our weather is cool-ish and cloudy today, with sunny breaks, but by Thursday a bit of humidity is building in as the sky dumps rain on us yet again, with more refreshing air on the weekend. Honestly, this latter week of July has felt more like the latter week of August! \:D/ And the temperatures at nights this past week have been so very comfy to sleep in (around 14C/57.2F).
johobbit

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jul 30, 2013 2:45 pm

Jo wrote:Ha! And 3 guesses who those folk would be.

*raises hand*

Our weather has been very similar to Jo's (only a few degrees difference really). Overnight temps have been wonderful for sleeping. Looks like the next week will be pretty good too. . . a bit warmer than I'd like, but still bearable (and for July, I'll take it!)

I'm hoping that this heralds an early autumn and a nice snowy winter :D
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby fantasia » Jul 30, 2013 4:02 pm

johobbit wrote:Ha! And 3 guesses who those folk would be. ;)) :D

I need more than three guesses because I know four of you. ;) ;))
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby johobbit » Jul 30, 2013 4:08 pm

:)) Okay, then, sign in!

1) JO
2)
3)
4)
Does anyone else want to be added to the polar bear list? ;;) ;))

Somehow, even though today turned out very cloudy and began cool, the humidity seems fairly high tonight. One doesn't fully appreciate the glory of non-humid days until they experience humidity once more. Ugh. :P I am going to resist putting the window A/C on, but will be turning on the ceiling fans any moment now. :ymsmug:

Andrew wrote:I'm hoping that this heralds an early autumn and a nice snowy winter :D

That's the way it's looking! :D

I recall way back in the spring (the spring which never was, that is ;))), the Farmers' Almanac predicted a cooler, wetter summer, overall. Bang on! B-)

(P.S. Just passed 12400 posts 4 posts ago. :o) )
johobbit

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jul 30, 2013 5:09 pm

Jo wrote:Does anyone else want to be added to the polar bear list?

*raises hand again*

I cannot wait for cooler weather. . . so much nicer for sleeping (and the clothing is just so much more fashionable and snuggly)
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby Puddleglum » Jul 30, 2013 8:30 pm

I guess I must raise my hand when it comes to the colder weather. Though to be perfectly honest, I must say that the current conditions suit me quite well.
Speaking of which. Today was a very pleasant day to get out and do some gardening. Not too humid, with a little wind to cool you. Pulling weeds while the insects buzz overhead is a sort of peaceful way to pass the time.
Still awaiting the possible storms that are supposed to pass by tonight. I really don't want to unroll the hose, and sprinkler again.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jul 31, 2013 3:11 am

johobbit wrote:... And the temperatures at nights this past week have been so very comfy to sleep in (around 14C/57.2F).

Hate to tell you this, but those are currently early morning winter temperatures down here. :( Although it is nice to have such a mild winter this July, Down Under, especially compared to last year, I'm not looking forward to summer which might be horribly hot, indeed.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby coracle » Jul 31, 2013 2:37 pm

Our winter has had a couple of cold patches, but generally has been much milder than usual. Last week we had warm sunshine, which is odd for the middle of winter.
Does this mean anything, or is it just a swing in the long-term weather pattern that goes back well before weather was recorded? There has been more snow here in the last few years than when I was young. We've had one lighter snow day this year, one decent fall last year and two substantial falls the year before that.

I recall midwinter being dull, grey and rainy, and late winter having a lot of clear days with frosty starts. Snow was a rarity, falling occasionally but not settling much, and never the sort you could play with. The famous Big Snow of 1992 in our city was a local emergency as the city is right beside the sea and has no snow facilities!
Today is the first day of August, and this is the month I used to look forward to in July, as I knew there would be some early blossoms, some early spring flowers, etc.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jul 31, 2013 4:19 pm

The last times I remember us having such a mild winter was back in 1980 and 1982, and after that we had a series of El Nino's so severe that Ethiopia was starving, people were gathering city lawn clippings to feed cows and horses, and our next door neighbour went on a fast to pray for rain. When it eventually came down in bucketfuls, then we had to beg her to stop fasting. ;)

Then the next mild winters were around 2006-9, when there was another El Nino, and when Warragamba Dam was only 35% full and many smaller dams had no water in them at all. Last Summer we had the hottest day ever for Australia, even though it was a neutral year. I rather expect El Nino conditions to arrive once more
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jul 31, 2013 7:47 pm

Most of our winters have been depressing for a snow lover like me. We haven't had a good snowy winter since 2010. . . it was one of the most gorgeous winters I can remember.

It's been plenty cold in our winters (except this past winters. . . .) but just without much snow.

I'm hoping that that changes this year ;)
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby Aravanna » Jul 31, 2013 9:42 pm

Puddleglum wrote:Pulling weeds while the insects buzz overhead is a sort of peaceful way to pass the time.

You must have friendly insects where you come from. Thanks to the rain, we've been inundated with mosquitoes here.

Thanks Jo and 'gazer. Ironically, I like writing about the weather and the changing light and moods during the days and seasons more than "interesting" things like people and grand events. But the temperature did seem malicious last year so personification was an easy jump.

You didn't get much snow last year Digs? We got more than usual, but all in late winter. It was very welcome after the drought.
Aravanna
Moderator Emeritus

PreviousNext