This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Postby Courtenay » May 02, 2020 2:45 am

waggawerewolf27 wrote:Well so far, so good. But yesterday (1st May) was the coldest day for this time of year for more than a decade. We have had quite the brush with winter we could have expected this time of year. If those up in the Attic are considering turning on their Air Conditioning to cope with future heat, We Down Under have been forced to consider turning on our own Air Conditioning to cope with unseasonably cold autumn weather.

Can't win, can you? ;) I'm just remembering how last year, I went back to Australia in August for my grandma's 100th birthday. (She's since passed away, very peacefully, bless her.) Every other time I've returned to Australia since I moved to the UK, it's been early in the year — summer or early autumn — with weather to match. Then when I came from a remarkably warm (actually hot!) British summer into the middle of a southern Victorian winter — grey and rainy and cold the whole time with occasional howling winds — I realised I'd forgotten how downright awful our winters around Melbourne can be! :-o

We've had some rain here in south-east England — which is good, as it was very dry for a long time — but today it's sunny again and I'll be going out for a walk as soon as my washing has finished in the machine. My favourite tea room in the next village won't be open, of course, but it's still a lovely area to walk in.
"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed." (Prince Caspian)
Courtenay
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » May 03, 2020 5:13 pm

Courtenay wrote:Then when I came from a remarkably warm (actually hot!) British summer into the middle of a southern Victorian winter — grey and rainy and cold the whole time with occasional howling winds — I realised I'd forgotten how downright awful our winters around Melbourne can be! :-o

Apparently it has been even snowing down there last weekend, especially in the Australian Alps. A nice cold swathe of Antarctic air to freeze the Tasmanians & near Adelaide as well. We even had a nice drop of rain, ourselves, but it didn't last long. An elderly cousin who had a sugar cane farm north of Mackay decided to move to Launceston but soon ended up returning to the Mainland due to the cold.

I'm glad to hear you are okay in UK. :ymhug: Other Narnia Webbers as well. :ymhug:
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby johobbit » May 05, 2020 8:16 am

We had a very cool and sometimes snowy April. The same is turning out for May! The nights are now regularly getting to below 0C / 32F (great walking weather in the early morning hours), and the days are not in any way warm. In fact, after tomorrow (13C / 55F), we are dropping to single digits Celsius during the days for at the very least a week, apparently. And continuing below freezing temps at night. We could even be having snow this weekend. :)) Last year, the farmers had trouble planting their fields because of too much rain; this year they are delayed because of the cold!

I really enjoy the cooler weather, so am not complaining one bit. But many are grumbling about winter hanging on. :P
johobbit

Postby coracle » May 05, 2020 1:19 pm

The warmer weather has been hanging on here, but in the last few days we finally had rain. There hadn't been much since I came home a month earlier. I'm hoping the sun today will allow me to do some more gardening, as there are flower beds to weed and replant with bulbs for spring. And I can also go for a walk, albeit a bit bundled up.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby johobbit » May 09, 2020 7:20 am

It is blizzarding here as I type. :-o When I went for my walk earlier this morning, the temp was -8C / 17.6F, and a windchill above that. The clouds were stunning as the storm moved in. I saw a shelf/roll cloud in the SW (not my pic), which was quite breath-taking.

Being a special weekend for me and our family, this is such a fun and unseasonable gift! \:D/ The day is playing out like this: snow squall, sunshine, snow squall, sunshine, over and over. ;))

Looks like it's supposed to warm up to more normal-for-this-time-of-year temperatures later next week.
johobbit

Postby stargazer » May 09, 2020 12:34 pm

Nice, Jo! Enjoy your snow. :)

It is unseasonably cool here as well, with freeze warnings out for the southern third of Minnesota (the northern part is excluded because the growing season hasn't begun there yet).

There is a chance of snow by morning, which would make this the first Mother's Day with measurable snow here since 1946.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby johobbit » May 13, 2020 8:39 am

Still similar here: well below freezing at night; mostly single digits (Celsius) during the day. But that is changing by Friday, as temperatures sore to normal for May here in the southern half of Ontario. Next week, the forecasters are saying, we could be having a heat index! What a contrast. ;))

We, too, had a small accumulation of snow on Mother's Day. Quite something.

I was thinking this morning when walking in another heavy frost, that we have had more snow in April and May than we had in February this year.
:-o /:)
johobbit

Postby johobbit » May 25, 2020 2:19 pm

So, my post above was less than two weeks ago and we have flown from winter right to summer (no spring!). We had snow and freezing temps twelve days ago; today we are sitting at 27C / 80F with a humidex of 33C / 91.4F. :-o Tomorrow and Wednesday will be even hotter, with nights not giving the wanted relief. Showers arrive sometime on Wednesday, giving way to much more seasonable temperatures the week following, and down to single digits at night again. :)) Honestly, this oppressive weather these few days now is for July ... not May (here, anyway)!
johobbit

Postby coracle » May 25, 2020 3:16 pm

It's 20 days since I posted about getting the first rain in about 6 weeks. Now we have had two nights and a day of wet weather, and I'm trusting the weather forecast to be correct, as I want to hang out lots of washing on the outdoor line. I don't have a dryer, and the indoor options are airing/drying racks of the sort that fold out to look like wings. With shorter days and not so much sun/warmth, I need to have washing out on the line by about 10 am to get it mostly dry by 3.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby stargazer » May 26, 2020 7:35 pm

Plenty of rain here this month! Right now it's coming down pretty hard and there are flash flood watches out for much of the area. Still, I enjoy the rhythm of the falling rain, as long as I have a dry place to enjoy it from!

We've skipped through spring into summer; it was warm and humid here today, with a cold front spinning up some wall clouds and funnels south of here. There was a radar-indicated tornado warning for part of the metro area earlier this evening but it was allowed to expire.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby IloveFauns » May 29, 2020 7:03 am

Good luck getting anything at all dry in Perth this week. It is at the point of my housemate using my hairdryer to dry his work uniform for tomorrow.
It is very unusual for Perth to be overcast and so grey for days at a time. It has been storm after storm. It has been down to 8C, which is considered cold in Perth as our houses are built for hot weather.

I went out for dinner in the city (restrictions are lifting, you can have 20 customers in a restaurant if they can be 1.5m apart) and almost got soaked getting to the restaurant.... I had to keep waiting under shelters as the wind was too strong for my umbrella. I seems like I am complaining but I actually like a bit of gloomy weather for a bit. I was over the heat of summer and early autumn.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby waggawerewolf27 » May 29, 2020 3:49 pm

IloveFauns wrote:It is very unusual for Perth to be overcast and so grey for days at a time. It has been storm after storm. It has been down to 8C, which is considered cold in Perth as our houses are built for hot weather.

So there isn't a drought in Perth this year, then. :D It has been pleasant with cold evenings here in the East, so far. Winter starts officially on Monday, but though we had a nice drop of rain the week before, & some of that storm activity has also penetrated as far as Western New South Wales, I believe, we are still on level 1 water restrictions for now.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby fantasia » May 29, 2020 7:03 pm

Our gorgeous spring weather seems to have run its course. I see summer starting to shove its way into the forecast. Lots of 90Fs coming up next week. It's June, I will accept them. :P ;)) Though I definitely prefer the 70Fs and 80Fs that we've had for a while.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby IloveFauns » May 30, 2020 12:58 am

I don't think there will be this year @waggawerewolf27 we are in for a wet winter. Although, June and July in Perth can be very wet months. We get all our rain in winter and hardly any the rest of the year.

Yes, I do like those temperatures in the early '20s (80ish F). A perfect day is no clouds and 22-25C. I went to meet my family out today at a park. It is very difficult me living in a share house (I am moving with my sister in 6-7 weeks which will make it easier) and having restrictions on restaurants. It is impossible and uncomfortable (due to space) to have my whole family around here. It was looking like a decent day but then the rain set in.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Jun 01, 2020 8:10 pm

June 1 marks the beginning of meteorological summer here, and the weather replied. It was 91F/33C here today, the warmest so far, with it expected to be a little warmer tomorrow. And juicy, humid air too. Storms may erupt tomorrow afternoon.
stargazer

Previous