This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Postby Kalta79 » Nov 02, 2018 8:34 am

Yesterday was a nice day, low 60s but sunny which made it feel warmer, chilly at night though with no clouds, just around freezing. Pretty sunrise this morning though :) . Supposed to rain Sunday.
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby fantasia » Nov 12, 2018 10:39 am

We had 2-3" of white stuff on the ground this morning. It was our best snow we've had in a few years. We've already surpassed our snowfall amount from last winter. :P
They're saying we're supposed to have a warmer winter this year, but I hope not because I want all of our nasty bug pests to die (ie ticks and black widows) and the cold winters with lots of snow really help knock them back.
Off to a good start, but it is supposed to warm up after this to more normal November temperatures...low 50Fs and upper 40Fs. The kids and I went out this morning to play for a while. It was lots of fun. :)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby stargazer » Nov 12, 2018 10:25 pm

That's one advantage of our colder winters...we tend not to have some of those pests that live farther south.

How much snow do you get in an average winter, fantasia? Our average is 45.3 inches/1151mm, but last winter we got 26.1 inches/663mm just in April. ;)) That got a few complaints from the locals.

We've had a few small snowfalls this year, and the ground is lightly covered as we speak. The sky has finally cleared and this should be the coldest night of the season so far, with lows dropping into single digits F/about -13C. That's cool for this time of year.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Nov 13, 2018 1:24 am

stargazer wrote:We've had a few small snowfalls this year, and the ground is lightly covered as we speak. The sky has finally cleared and this should be the coldest night of the season so far, with lows dropping into single digits F/about -13C. That's cool for this time of year.

Now that sort of information is encouraging, on the whole. Meanwhile we still hear about horrific Californian bushfires. What is being done to protect people and property? All those fancy houses, it seems, tend to have vegetation too close to houses for comfort, for starters. We Down South haven't had such a hot time in the old town, despite summer about to start soon. There have been a few hot days, but some cooler weather as well. Today a convoy of trucks delivered bales of hay to Charleville & Cunnamulla for the cattle stations in those regions. Although there has been some rainfall, the drought isn't over yet in South Western Queensland.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby fantasia » Nov 25, 2018 5:38 pm

We had some exciting weather here this morning. The first proper blizzard I've seen here in.... years. When we were driving to church we could only see maybe one city block in front of us or so? We didn't have much snow accumulation, nor did it get THAT cold, but definitely had some high wind! I guess it's supposed to be back in the 40Fs tomorrow. ;))

This is our third notable snowfall this year! :-o And it's not even December! That's really unusual here.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby stargazer » Nov 25, 2018 9:52 pm

You've probably had more snow so far than we have. ;))

That same storm is making a mess across Nebraska, Iowa, and over to Chicago, but we're far to its north and so it's just rather cold here for this time of year (temperatures around 15F/-9C and lows tonight below 0F/-17C north of here. At least there's a big bright moon out there. :)
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Nov 26, 2018 12:00 am

fantasia_kitty wrote:We had some exciting weather here this morning. The first proper blizzard I've seen here in.... years. When we were driving to church we could only see maybe one city block in front of us or so? We didn't have much snow accumulation, nor did it get THAT cold, but definitely had some high wind! I guess it's supposed to be back in the 40Fs tomorrow. ;))

On our TV news we were told that last weekend - Thanksgiving Weekend - was the coldest they have had in memory. We saw pictures of the Macy's parade, and could see easily the snowflakes tumbling down. I wondered about what was happening in your part of the woods. I wonder if weather patterns in North America are also affected by phenomena such as El Nino, currently affecting Australia in the Pacific, and other Dipolar oscillations in the Indian and the Atlantic Oceans.

Summer is nearly upon us, and already bushfires are making their presence felt, to the north of Newcastle, on the Eastern coastline of New South Wales. I wouldn't argue with temperatures of 40F and would much prefer them to 40C. The drought is nowhere over, and the results could be catastrophic, not only for individuals. That useless desalination plant is now sounding suddenly very useful.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Nov 26, 2018 9:59 pm

wagga, I prefer 40F over 40C any day! ;)) Alas it may be a while before we reach even 40F.

El Nino (and la Nina) do affect portions of North American weather (including the Upper Midwest of the US where I live), depending on how strong the variations are. El Nino can lead to slightly warmer and drier winters here. The dry part is definitely the case right now, but temperatures have been running below average for the past couple months (with some daily highs running close to 25F/14C below normal). Only a few days since October 1 have even reached average.
stargazer

Postby johobbit » Nov 28, 2018 2:28 pm

stargazer wrote:These late sunrises (thanks to DST) mean I can stargaze at 6am under dark skies. Orion was so pretty, already in the southwest

Yes, on my early morning walks, I have been following majestic Orion. So beautiful!

fantasia wrote:This is our third notable snowfall this year! :-o And it's not even December! That's really unusual here.

Wowser, that's really something! How do your kiddos like playing in the snow? :D

Yikes, wagga, that sounds serious. May the area receive some drenching rain soon!

wagga wrote:I wouldn't argue with temperatures of 40F and would much prefer them to 40C.

'gazer wrote:wagga, I prefer 40F over 40C any day!

Major ditto! ;))

We have received a fair bit of snow for the month of November. One batch lasted nearly 1 & 1/2 weeks! So pretty. It remained fresh and white, which is the best. Everything was covered, with some new stuff falling periodically. Alas, last Sunday it poured rain, so everything became brown and boring again. :P But yesterday and today we have had fresh snowfall, so things are looking white, with a slim pretty cover over the rolling landscape. Flurries are forecast for the next few days, with one brief warm, rainy day this Sunday (Dec 2!) up to a potential 10C/50F, taking away the covering again. However, that should change shortly after. :) Hoping for a white Christmas this year!

The temps these days are just below freezing—quite comfortable, unless that wind picks up. But because we had a fair amount of snow in November, with some really cold days, hardly any one has finished winterizing their gardens ... including us. We did a fair bit of work on them before our Utter East trip, but left the geraniums in as they were still blooming nicely. Now, however, is a different story, as the ground is pretty much frozen, and it would be nice to get these out before the next major snowfall comes. ;)) Also, I haven't cut back any of my peonies yet, plus I want to trim my mum plants to overwinter them in the basement so we can then plant them in our to-be-newly-created mum garden next spring. :D

We usually have November to finish of the yard work. Not this year. :p
johobbit

Postby stargazer » Dec 03, 2018 12:04 pm

We received the first 'real' snow of the season over the weekend...only about 3 inches/75mm here in the northern suburbs but amounts over 8 inches/205mm fell across southern Minnesota, and with high winds some areas had near whiteout conditions. This snow may well be here until next spring with colder weather on its way for this week.

Since some trees (like a large maple just south of the house) were late dropping leaves, snow shoveling had lots of leaves included.
stargazer

Postby Kalta79 » Dec 03, 2018 12:21 pm

We got some snow as well over the weekend, 4 inches or so total I believe, but luckily it was the light powdery kind, so shoveling wasn't a big deal. Of course it's also good that it was so cold last night because I was so tired I forgot to turn off the outside freezer(we got it used and the only problem was it wouldn't shut itself off, so you had to be careful. And I guess the motor must have burnt out because it's not running at all now...
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Cleander » Dec 06, 2018 11:22 am

Where I live snow is somewhat infrequent, though last year we got six inches before Christmas!! :D It was especially wonderful because our neighborhood has plenty of trees (which look even better in the snow)...and because the streetlight across from our house happens to be a lamppost!!(which REALLY looks even better in the snow.) :) :D :) :D
So, needless to say, I hope for a repeat performance this year! Unfortunately, it keeps getting into the 30s...and nothing happens. Then it goes up to the 40s and just rains. X( Clouds, get your act together already!
PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Dec 10, 2018 1:22 pm

Snow is standard here, but the past couple Christmases I've visited family in Seattle, where it is a lot more unusual. I remember 2016, when it started snowing big, wet flakes on Christmas morning, when we were opening gifts. It was Hallmark movie-like in the excellent timing.

Last year it snowed Christmas Eve; I remember watching the Seahawks NFL game with my brother before venturing out into the ice and snow for church services.

This year I'll be watching Christmas weather from here in the Upper Midwest. This upcoming week should be downright hot (possibly up to 34F/1C) which might melt some of our snow.
stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » Dec 10, 2018 6:48 pm

Hello. Sorry, but I always am obviously not very good at the whole social media thing.
Miss talking over the weather here, so I will try to get back into the swing of it.
As stargazer has pointed out already we usually have quite a bit of snow up this way. But the last few years we have been a little spoiled. While there have been some exciting storms, the totals when it comes to accumulation seems a bit on the tame side. I think it was about four, or five years ago when I had to climb up on the Wig-wam to shovel about four feet of the heavy stuff off. (Not that I look forward to a repeat performance 8-| )
From what I have seen on the news the SouthEastern United States is getting more than a taste of winter. With the mountains to contend with we can be gateful that we don't hear of more fatalities.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby fantasia » Dec 19, 2018 3:24 pm

Our weather calmed down after the front that obliterated the southeastern states came through. It hasn't been quite so cold and it's dried out.
But we have a 20% chance for snow the night of Christmas! :)) (yeah...right.)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Dec 19, 2018 7:20 pm

Nice to read that your weather is running to what us Down Under rather believe it might be like. :D Here we have had reasonable weather so far. A few hot days here and there like an ominous warning of dire things to come. But lovely storm activity with healthy sounding overhead thunderbolts and flashes of lightning has kept the termperatures down to 35C or less, much of the time. We have had quite a wet December, which is something to be grateful for, and even a cyclone in North Queensland, but I'm not sure yet whether it is the yearly monsoon in Darwin or not. Actually I wonder what, technically, the monsoon is supposed to be. How, for example, does it tie into the El Nino phenomenon? By the way, Stargazer, thank you for your excellent and awesome explanations in past posts. ^:)^

Meanwhile, tomorrow will be the summer solstice with temperatures due to soar to above 40C - yesterday was 47C at Bourke, NSW - and again this year I hope most sincerely for somewhat cooler & more reasonable temperatures for Christmas day, itself. Enjoy your lovely snowy Christmases, but please spare my feelings down here. As much as I might dream of a White Christmas it won't happen here, even in midwinter.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. :ymhug:
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

PreviousNext