This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Postby fantasia » Sep 22, 2013 9:21 am

waggawerewolf27 wrote:I hear that you are having terrible floods in Colorado, and the water is going to Nebraska, though I thought those two states are a good way apart from each other. Yet some of you seem to be in drought. Has anyone been affected by the floods, and how are they faring?

The flooding has been pretty localized. My parents just traveled through Denver on I-70 and didn't see any flooding along the interstate. As far as I'm aware, the severe flooding that's made the news has been on the northeast side of the city at the foot of the Rocky Mountains. I haven't heard about any flooding in Nebraska, but we have had some in the extreme northwest corner of Kansas. It didn't compare to what's going on in Colorado though.
I also haven't heard about any NarniaWebbers being directly affected. If that changes I'll let you know.

Meanwhile in my section of Kansas it has been super nice. :D This morning it's in the 60Fs so I have all the windows in my house wide open!
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby stargazer » Sep 22, 2013 9:48 pm

After a brief return of hot humid weather last week, autumn is in the air today (appropriate, since it's the equinox!). The air is cool and crisp and the sky bright blue. Places in northern Minnesota saw the first freeze last week, with lows around 26F/-3C.

And even in southern Minnesota the trees are beginning to put on their bright colors of autumn. The DNR is predicting a spectacular fall color show this year in some parts of the state. Can't wait!
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby johobbit » Sep 24, 2013 9:42 am

fantasia wrote:After that, we're going to have near perfect weather for a while (based on my own definition of perfect weather which is too hot for most of the rest of the people who post in this thread. ;)) )

Indeed, the definition of 'perfect weather' is relative. ;) ;))

kat wrote:Oh and by "cold" front, I mean the temps will not be over 95F.

"Cold" is relative too. :))

'Tis always good to hear from wagga and coracle in Australia and NZ, respectively. :)

Glad your area is cooling down somewhat, Glim! :D

DiGs, we are having similar weather both last week and this, with cool autumn temperatures (think daytime high 50s/low 60sF; night from low to high 40sF—glorious walking weather in the pre-dawn hours). As the week progresses, it will be warming up to 22C/71.6F by Sunday, which will be the first day all week when we shall possibly see some clouds, every day until then being a blank canvas of blue above. I'm just glad the chances of any humidity are over for another year. :P

We had a wonderfully long rain Friday night and all through Saturday. It sounded so pretty drumming on roofs, trees, gardens. :)
johobbit

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Sep 24, 2013 3:33 pm

Jo wrote:We had a wonderfully long rain Friday night and all through Saturday. It sounded so pretty drumming on roofs, trees, gardens

We did too. . . it made for glorious background noise while I was studying my urinary notes.

"Just think. . . this is what it sounds like as urine drips down from the medullary collecting duct down into the renal pelvis before making its dive down into the bladder."

*dreamy sigh*

:p
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Sep 24, 2013 3:53 pm

Wow! Now that would really explain why Down Under, there will shortly be an epidemic of renal failure among cats and humans! We've had little rain since the beginning of August. =))
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Puddleglum » Sep 25, 2013 8:13 pm

TMI!
The very thought of human biological functions shall haunt me for the rest of the evening :-s

On a somewhat lighter note. Got back from rendezvous this weekend, and aside from some wind, and a light rainshower Saturday, the weather was pleasant. After the rain, which was putting quite a fear into us, we were graced with the most perfect rainbow I have seen in years. The arc was clear across, and after a few minutes developed not only a second bow that also reached across, but a inner bow below the first :ymapplause:
Makes getting wet worth it.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby IloveFauns » Sep 26, 2013 5:32 am

waggawerewolf27 wrote:Wow! Now that would really explain why Down Under, there will shortly be an epidemic of renal failure among cats and humans! We've had little rain since the beginning of August. =))

I think the south west of WA has taken your share of the rain. We have had so much rain this year( well end of august and september). Though the rest of WA have somewhat disappointing in relation to rainfall. We apparently had a dry winter, well this beginning of spring has made up for it.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Sep 27, 2013 4:31 pm

IloveFauns wrote:I think the south west of WA has taken your share of the rain. We have had so much rain this year( well end of august and september). Though the rest of WA have somewhat disappointing in relation to rainfall. We apparently had a dry winter, well this beginning of spring has made up for it.

That's okay. I wish that the rainfall was more evenly spread throughout Australia, though. We certainly are a country "of droughts and flooding rains". Watch out for bushfires later on in summer, however, as after so much rain you will have more tinder underfoot in bushlands. There has been backburning here in the Blue Mountains through late August and September, but we have had bushfires as well.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Sep 29, 2013 11:16 am

Our weather can't seem to decide what season it is. A few days ago it was much warmer than average (perhaps 85F/29C) with rather high humidity; last nigh was cool and crisp (perhaps 45F/7C). Summer-like temperatures are expected later this week, with sharply colder temperatures predicted to follow.

The days are rapidly shortening now, and winter can't be far away. But for the next few weeks, it's time to enjoy the spectacular fall colors, which are just starting to burst into view now.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby johobbit » Sep 30, 2013 10:57 am

wagga, in response to DiGs 'graphic' post ;) wrote:Wow! Now that would really explain why Down Under, there will shortly be an epidemic of renal failure among cats and humans! We've had little rain since the beginning of August. =))

:)) Whoa, who would guess to what topic the Meteorological topic might lead. :P

Wow, Puddleglum, the rainbows sound amazing! This past season, in spite of all our rain, we did not have many of those beautiful glories in the sky, unfortunately. Some summers delight us more than others in this regard.

IlF, does the area of Australia in which you live tend to have flooding when you get a lot of rain? Or is it higher ground, in general?

stargazer wrote:Our weather can't seem to decide what season it is.

Ditto here. We have had some unusually humid days this September, then a couple of days later the temperatures can drop until near freezing at night. What a conglomeration. ;)) Tomorrow and Wednesday are to be on the humid side again /:) , but then more seasonable air will move in Thursday and Friday due to a cold front with showers. Good! There should be a law against thick, sticky air at the beginning of October. ;))

But, as 'gazer mentioned, the colours are more than blushing now :D, with the birches dropping some of their yellow leaves against the green grass already. So pretty! Our crimson maple, one of the last to turn, has not even begun yet, though. It's nice how spread out the different varieties are. Hoping we can enjoy a beautiful, lengthy autumn! ♥
johobbit

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Oct 02, 2013 4:17 pm

So, I was flicking through the channels, and the weather channel came on. I saw this weird white stuff on the forecast, and thought, "No. . . it can't be?!"

But it was (and is!). Not for Ohio, unfortunately, but in Wyoming, Colorado, and parts of South Dakota, they're about to get their first big snow storm of the season! Up to 18 inches of the white stuff will fall in parts of mountainous Wyoming!

I'd love to get a few inches of the white stuff. . . but first to turn all of these green leaves to a color of a higher wavelength ;))
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby IloveFauns » Oct 03, 2013 3:42 am

Already snow? and it is not yet winter for you guys?. Jeez.

It was a beautiful day here. We have officially left winter. A couple of months of nice weather until the heat ave of mid December- mid feb.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby fantasia » Oct 03, 2013 8:32 pm

The northern parts of the Rocky Mountains get snow quite a lot. It is that time of year. :) Though they don't normally get THIS MUCH snow. I guess Wyoming is getting hammered hard. (Or going to? Not sure.)

At any rate, the same storm that is over there right now will be coming through tomorrow evening. Today was hot, humid and blegh outside. Tomorrow's high is going to be 89F, but then that front will be coming through with some impressive storms and a big temperature drop. I think tomorrow night it's supposed to be 44F (as opposed to tonight's 70F).
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby IloveFauns » Oct 04, 2013 3:29 am

@jo no it does not flood very often here. ( It hasn't in the 7 years I hae lived here anyway).
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Oct 04, 2013 7:13 am

We're going to be having weather that dips a bit more closely to seasonal. . . but it's still going to be entirely too warm for me.

The leaves are really starting to change here though, and the days are getting shorter and shorter. By now, it usually doesn't get fully light outside until close to 8AM, and it's dark by 6:45 PM on most days.
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby IloveFauns » Oct 05, 2013 4:57 am

There is an episode of black books(which is set in london) and one of the characters thinks it is extremely hot and it was 88f(which is 31c). I consider that a nice day. I just think if people from the uk come to were I live or an even hotter place of Australia( I live in a moderate temperature area) during summer they would die. It gets to 42c some days. Saying that I would freeze to death during the uk winter.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

PreviousNext