This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Postby stargazer » Dec 21, 2018 12:27 pm

Merry Christmas to you too, wagga, and happy solstice.

The sun reaches its (apparent) southernmost point in the sky today at 2222 UTC (1622 in my time zone). It's the longest night here and the longest day Down Under.

The nights are long here but overcast. It even rained here the other night (almost unimaginable here in the frozen north), so there is minimal snow on the ground. This may be the 6th year in the last 20 to not have a white Christmas (normally our odds are much higher than that).

However, our meteorologists are all abuzz about a potentially large winter storm about a week from now. Depending on its track we may get lots of snow or a mix of freezing rain and snow.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby aileth » Dec 29, 2018 11:40 am

6 inches of the white stuff--light and fluffy and drift-making. Hurray!

(Glad it waited till the day after Christmas, as we were travelling home on Christmas night.)
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Dec 29, 2018 1:50 pm

Now that Christmas is over, the Sydney to Hobart race won and lost, and New Year's Day fast approaches, the weather is heating up. So far these last few days we have maximum temperatures of 41C, 42C, & 41C. There are two or three months more before summer is finally finished, so I hope the weather doesn't get much hotter than this latest heatwave.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Jan 01, 2019 11:35 am

Happy New Year!

2019 began with our lowest temperatures of the season so far, -15F/-26C here in the city and a balmy -43F/-42C in the Nation's Icebox, International Falls.

And once again, the 'polar plunge' was a popular way to start the year (a hole is cut through the ice at a local lake and people jump in, usually as a fundraiser for a charity).
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Kalta79 » Jan 01, 2019 12:51 pm

Cold here too, was 8(Farenheit) when I woke up. Supposed to warm up to the 20s at night after tomorrow from what I hear. Thank goodness we have plenty of firewood and coffee/tea/cocoa supplies :-)
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Cleander » Jan 01, 2019 4:03 pm

Oh, the joys of cold winter!
Where I live it's been in the high 60's for most of the week. Short sleeves are a common sight- but the forecasts are still whispering rumors of snow in the next couple of weeks. Stranger things have happened, I guess...
PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jan 03, 2019 5:10 pm

stargazer wrote:Happy New Year!

2019 began with our lowest temperatures of the season so far, -15F/-26C here in the city and a balmy -43F/-42C in the Nation's Icebox, International Falls.

And once again, the 'polar plunge' was a popular way to start the year (a hole is cut through the ice at a local lake and people jump in, usually as a fundraiser for a charity).

Interesting temperatures. Freezing point is 32F = 0C, isn't it? And -30C = -22 F. On the way down do the two different scales converge somewhat? ;;) Today, 4th January, 2019, we can expect highs of 39C or more, and it is going to get worse as a heatwave crosses the state. The Earth, that means all of us, reached Perihelion yesterday at 4.20 pm our time in its elliptical path around the Sun. That is to say, the closest point to the Sun. When does the Earth reach its farthest point from the Sun, I wonder?
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Jan 06, 2019 6:31 pm

The earth usually is at aphelion (farthest from the sun) in the first few days of July. The timing varies a little depending on where we are in the leap year cycle.

The Celsius and Fahrenheit scales converge at -40.

Very warm here for January; we even set a few record highs the past few days (around 47F/8C). Amazing considering what it could be.
stargazer

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jan 09, 2019 9:46 pm

Some of your temperatures must be really cold then if it is worse than -40C. :D

stargazer wrote:The earth usually is at aphelion (farthest from the sun) in the first few days of July. The timing varies a little depending on where we are in the leap year cycle.

Where we are in the leap year cycle is about three quarters the way through, as next year, 2020, will be a leap year.

We've just been told that last year, 2018, was the third hottest year ever, displacing 2017 for that record. So far, although there have been quite a few bad days, when the maximum temperature was between 40C to 42C there hasn't been anything like as high temperatures as there was, especially on January 7th of 2018. (You will find it on page 81 or 82 of this thread). It has been mostly overcast and muggy, with some rain after the driest year on record up to last December when we did get a little rain.

Did anyone really have a White Christmas or even a White New Year after all?
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby johobbit » Jan 15, 2019 10:15 am

No, although we have had a fair few flurries. ;)) Our main bulk of snow came in November and early December. Most days in January have been cold, and we have smidges of white around, but not nearly enough ... for me, anyway. ;)

Having said that, we could have a major storm this coming weekend. Really hoping it keeps tracking our way, but we shall see. Immediately following the snow will be frigid cold, so if it does fall and accumulate, it will stay for awhile, yay!

Hoping for a clear night this Sunday for the total lunar eclipse, which should be a wonderful view here in the Americas.
:)
johobbit

Postby Kalta79 » Jan 15, 2019 4:39 pm

We're about to get hit with a couple almost back to back winter storms here, and this morning the weather conditions were just like they were when we lived near Seattle and got a storm that dumped...I think it was 3 feet of snow. Of course I've lived through whiteouts/blizzards when you open the front door when it's over and are literally confronted with a wall of snow.
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jan 16, 2019 2:06 pm

Ouch! Back to back snowstorms sounds a bit grim. Bad enough when we had a severe hail storm or three last month. Tomorrow we are expecting 45C, the hottest day of the year so far. I hope I didn't speak too soon in my last post, as maximum temperatures of 45C or worse are not really very pleasant in summer to endure. It helps to kill fish & promotes algae blooms in rivers out west, not to mention the effect it has on crops and animals alike. So this is why Australia is most heavily populated around its coastline where the sea breezes moderate the weather somewhat.

Did anyone hear any news that the Earth's magnetic pole in the north has shifted rapidly from Canada northwards to Siberia?
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Jan 17, 2019 10:32 pm

Meanwhile, we're looking at the coldest weather of the season so far this weekend, about -20C. That's not unusual at all, and in fact is later than usual. Forecasts vary as to whether we'll have clear skies for the lunar eclipse.

Another large snowstorm is poised to move across the central US, so (like the last one about a week ago), areas south of here will get lots of snow while we have almost none at all.

A sure sign of spring: the sun set today at 5pm, the first time since November 3 it has set so late in the evening.

I'd read about the pole shift, wagga. The most interesting part to me is that the movement appears to be accelerating.
stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » Jan 18, 2019 9:10 pm

I really must try to be more consistant with this thing.
The aforementioned cold is moving over as I am typing this. If only I were one of those lucky beasts who can hibernate.
The weather folks are predicting wind chills just to the north at -35F, to -40F below. Just to the south, we have 6, to 9 inches of snow predicted for the next day.
I'm Surrounded :-s
Anyone else remember the common saying in summer when those of us in the American Mid-West can relate to wagga? "It's not the heat, it's the humudity?" I seem to notice the inverse of this when we have these nice bone chilling cold days. The air just likes to draw the moisture from the skin. I have found a quick remedy in super glue. Just hold the cracked area closed, and apply. Carefully I might add as didgits glued together make typing most difficult.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Jan 23, 2019 8:54 am

I recall that phrase, Puddleglum, and have been known to use it in times of summer 'air you can wear.'

The big snowstorms continue to pass south of here, and we've received a paltry 11 inches/280mm this winter so far, much less than half of average.

But January will try to live up to its reputation as a cold month, with highs this weekend trying to reach 0F/-17C and wind chills pushing -40F/C north of here.

I'm surprised to see blizzard warnings northwest of here, but lots of wind is on the way. They must have more snow than we do. ;))
stargazer

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jan 23, 2019 1:57 pm

stargazer wrote:A sure sign of spring: the sun set today at 5pm, the first time since November 3 it has set so late in the evening.

When you first posted the above comment, I happened to notice that evening the sun set here at 8.00 pm, Daylight Saving Time. I am not sure that this is actually a harbinger of autumn arriving, as though the weather is a bit nicer today than it has been, the heat is not over yet, and we still have a month of summer to go before it moderates. Last year it wasn't really cool until after April.

stargazer wrote:I'd read about the pole shift, wagga. The most interesting part to me is that the movement appears to be accelerating.

Yes, it does seem a startlingly rapid change of direction, and I am curious to understand why, and what are the implications. It must have happened beforehand, but how frequently? What I would like to really know is, how does this magnetic pole shift affect the Magnetic South Pole? On 1/1/2007 it was somewhere around Cape Adare in Antarctica, we were told.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

PreviousNext