This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Getting to Know You

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Getting to Know You

Postby Narnian_Storm » Jan 04, 2014 10:47 pm

*A fox strolls into the room, unable to hold back a small smile. He bows respectfully, then speaks.*

Greetings to you all! *Nods to Jo and Trusty* Nice to see you here instead of Facebook, once again.

I figured I would reintroduce myself to this fine establishment after Trusty told me he was returning for a time. He and I met here many years ago and have had a few adventures across the interwebs. And of course there is Jo, my favorite weather reporting Hobbit from the northwest. :)

My name is Todd, or as I was once called here, 'Odd Todd the fox for God' ;)) I first found Narniaweb...oh my, it was today, 8 years ago. Interesting...I didn't even realize it until now. Narniaweb has meant so much to me, it is a pity I haven't been here more in the past 5 years or so.

Among the many things I have to thank Narniaweb for is my lovely wife (Frodo_Lion). As I understand it, we are one of but a few couples that met here. I think that is super special and I like to brag about it. :p

I'm 25 now, have a son (named Peter...though not really because of Narnia *gasp*) and am finishing up my master's degree in meteorology. I'm also building a private weather forecasting company with hopes of that becoming a long and fruitful career. I hope I will be around more than my previous one or two post returns in the past. Good mortereve to you all!
"I have been asked by Aslan HIMSELF to gather more troops."
Narnian_Storm
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Trusty » Jan 04, 2014 10:52 pm

Narnian_Storm wrote:[color=#ff6600][i]I figured I would reintroduce myself to this fine establishment after Trusty told me he was returning for a time. He and I met here many years ago and have had a few adventures across the inter webs.[/colour]

Yes! So glad you decided to come! This will be fun. We have indeed had many adventures haha (nearly all Narnian-themed of course) but I'm glad we've done a full circle back to NarniaWeb. 8 years to this day, you say? Wow. Good timing. ;)
Trusty
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby johobbit » Jan 05, 2014 6:05 am

Narnian_Storm! Wow, what a treat to see you on NarniaWeb again, and on your 8th anniversary too. B-)

I love it that you met Frodo_Lion here on the forum (brag away :D), now are married, have a young son, and are completing your Master's! All the best as you finish this last lap. Since one of my strong desires as a teen was to be a meteorologist (which never came to fruition(, this quite tickles my fancy. ;))

Yep, it's good to keep in touch via FB, but even better right here! :D

And of course there is Jo, my favorite weather reporting Hobbit from the northwest. :)

*said Hobbit bows respectfully, furry feet deep in the snow, "At your service". ;))
johobbit

Postby NarnianGriff23 » Jan 20, 2014 9:01 pm

1. Name (please avoid your real full name):NarnianGriff23 but you can call me Ash or Griff for short if you like. :)

2. King or Queen of Narnia (guy or girl): Queen.

3. Family (single/married/kids): Single, 2 brothers i'am in the middle.

4. Occupation: currently looking for something in Clerical/office work.

5. How you learned about NarniaWeb: surfing the net for Narnia sites. it was high up on the page ^ ^.

6. How old were you when you first read the Chronicles: Eleven, though I'd heard about the series from my mom. Who has an album of the 2nd chapter of Acts the roar of love and we'd watch the bbc series together.

7. How many times have you read the Chronicles: I've kinda lost count. XD diffidently more than 10 though.

8. Favorite of the Chronicles: LWW, Prince Caspian, The Silver Chair, The Magician's Nephew, VOTDT.

9. Hobbies and/or interesting things about you: I like to read, write,draw, sing and lots of other things ^ ^
NarnianGriff23
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jan 21, 2014 12:49 am

Welcome to NarniaWeb, Griff! :-h This is a great forum, and I really hope you'll enjoy being a part of it! If you like books and writing, you should check out the books thread and Writer's World for discussion. Have fun and hope to see you around the forum! :)
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby johobbit » Jan 21, 2014 5:58 am

Welcome here, Griff! Ahhh, another "Roar of Love" fan! :D There are more than a few here. ;)) It's good to have you a part of the NarniaWeb community! And I will add to Rose's helpful links to include drawing and music B-) along with many other topics of interest.

Further up and further in!
johobbit

Postby Thunder-Fist » Jan 21, 2014 4:25 pm

1. Name (please avoid your real full name): Thunder-Fist, or Corin.

2. King or Queen of Narnia (guy or girl): King.

4. Occupation: I own a bookshop.

5. How you learned about NarniaWeb: I stumbled across it in mid 2005 researching the upcoming LWW film.

6. How old were you when you first read the Chronicles: Not sure. I remember sneaking into my older sisters' room while my mom read to them. I must have been five or six. I think I read the books on my own for the first time when I was nine.

7. How many times have you read the Chronicles: I've lost count.

8. Favorite of the Chronicles: It constantly changes, but The Horse and His Boy is consistantly near the top, perhaps because it holds the character that my parents named me after (though truth be told I am much more like Shasta/Cor than his twin).

9. Hobbies and/or interesting things about you: I am writer at heart. I also love reading, as every writer should (though ironically I haven't been able to find the time to read as much as I would like since I took over the the bookshop.) I also have about a thousand other interests and hobbies contantly jockeying for my attention and time, but those are far too numerous to list here.
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -C.S. Lewis
Thunder-Fist
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jan 21, 2014 7:25 pm

Welcome to the forum, Corin! :-h (So neat that you were named after a Narnia character!) I've always dreamed about working in a bookshop, but it never before crossed my mind that a person might have less time to read in such a place! ;)) HHB is consistently one of my top favorites, too—it's such a great book. Anyway, I hope you enjoy exploring the forum! Have fun! :)
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Thunder-Fist » Jan 22, 2014 2:04 pm

Thanks for the welcome. I don't know why I went so long without ever joining the forum. I love talking about the Chronicles and I've been a faithful visitor to Narniaweb ever since I found it.
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -C.S. Lewis
Thunder-Fist
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby johobbit » Jan 22, 2014 2:21 pm

Welcome, Thunder-Fist, so glad you joined the forum here. :D I ditto Rose in echoing my awe of you actually owning a bookshop! What a privilege that must be. There are a number of avid readers on NarniaWeb. :)

It's odd about HHB because when I was a child and read the Chronicles, it was my least favourite (even though I still really enjoyed it), but now that I'm 'all growed up' ;)), it has become ever so much more meaningful. Such layers and meaning and lessons set amidst an amazing tale.

I visited NWeb's main news page every day for two years before becoming active on the forum. Could kick myself for not joining earlier. :P

See you around the forum! :)

P.S. I just noticed you're from Alaska. That is very cool, in itself! B-)
johobbit

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jan 22, 2014 3:11 pm

Thunder-Fist wrote:I don't know why I went so long without ever joining the forum. I love talking about the Chronicles and I've been a faithful visitor to Narniaweb ever since I found it.

You're definitely not alone in that—I think I lurked for about five years or so before finally joining. ;)) Glad you decided to become part of the forum! :)
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Thunder-Fist » Jan 22, 2014 6:30 pm

johobbit wrote:
It's odd about HHB because when I was a child and read the Chronicles, it was my least favourite (even though I still really enjoyed it), but now that I'm 'all growed up' ;)), it has become ever so much more meaningful. B-)

Funny, I felt the same way about The Last Battle. When I was a kid I wouldn't read it. I guess it was too dark for me at the time. Now it also tops my list of favourites. It used to be my pipe dream to be the director for The Last Battle someday (for awhile in my teens I pursued filmmaking) because it, more than any of the others, inspired cinematic visuals and moments in my head.

I am also very lucky to own my bookshop. I always wanted to work at one, but I never dreamed I'd own one. I applied to work at our local bookshop and the owner told me that he couldn't afford another employee. About a year later he told me he would hire me. I worked for two weeks and he said he was moving and asked if I wanted to buy it from him. Two months later I owned the place. Somedays I feel like way too much of a kid to be running a business, but overall I know I have been very blessed and I try to remember how lucky I am.
Thunder-Fist
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby johobbit » Jan 26, 2014 6:53 am

It would be amazing if a true and faithful Narnian fan could helm the films ... like you! :D

And so very cool about your own bookshop tale. Continuing best with that!
johobbit

Postby aileth » Feb 05, 2014 11:54 pm

Well, I'd best bite the bullet and do this.

1. Name : Aileth
2. King or Queen of Narnia : Queen
3. Family (single/married/kids): Single
4. Current occupation: Primary school library assistant/shepherdess/chief cook, bottle-washer, and general factotum about the house
5. How you learned about NarniaWeb: Internet search, after watching the three movies for the first time in May 2013
6. How old were you when you first read the Chronicles: Too young to remember. Lucy was the name I liked the best for a long time. I wonder how that happened?
7. How many times have you read the Chronicles: Repeatedly. Sometimes I just read my favourite parts of each book, sometimes the whole thing.
8. Favorite of the Chronicles: That's a hard one. For a long time it would have been HHB, but now I think Prince Caspian.
9. Hobbies and/or interesting things about you: Reading, writing, sewing, proofreading, book collecting, playing several instruments, including the fool. Oops, I wasn't supposed to mention that one - it just slipped out. Really, I do try not to (play it, I mean).

On that note, I teach a few piano students - for the fun of it, of course.

This will be my seventh season of midwifery on our (small) sheep farm. Lambs any day now.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby johobbit » Feb 06, 2014 3:18 pm

Hi Aileth, how exceedingly cool about you delivering lambs! I can't imagine how precious that would be! Have you read any of James Herriot's books? Do you have any aspirations to be a vet?

I taught piano students years ago, and found it very rewarding (especially with those who actually worked at learning ;))). Good to have you on the forum! :D
johobbit

Postby aileth » Feb 06, 2014 11:12 pm

Thanks for the welcome, johobbit.

Cool is definitely the word, at least at this time of year. Once the ewes start lambing it's pretty busy. Like many animals, they prefer to have their young at night. I check last thing before bed, and then leave the window open so I can hear any activity. Most of them are pretty quiet, really, though there are exceptions.

Last year I remember waking up at 3:00 am, hearing one of them yelling. Sure enough, she was having difficulty. I didn't want to waste time going back to the house, but I knew I needed help. Fortunately, my brother had heard the commotion, and came out (I thought the whole neighbourhood would be out, too).

I did consider becoming a vet, but in the end I found that I liked working with human kids better. So now I do my vet stuff at night, and try to stay awake at work the next day. (-|

Oh, those students who don't practice :|
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

PreviousNext