This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Getting to Know You

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Getting to Know You

Postby Dimitris » Mar 27, 2020 4:50 pm

Sure why not?

But if you are interested to compare translations, in what way does this help you?

There are two translators. The first five books translated by Tzeni Mastoraki. The last two books translated by Anna Sarri.

Although the translations are good, note that contains obsolete vocabulary.

Οf course I can upload some pages. If you want it, just ask for it.

Also if there is a topic about covers, I can upload the first greek cover plates which drew from a greek artist.
Dimitris
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Col Klink » Mar 27, 2020 6:13 pm

I didn't mean I wanted to read the translations myself. (I don't know Greek.) But I thought it might be fun to google the translators, find out the translations have a good reputation. Thanks for the info.

It'd be interesting if after you've managed to read the original texts, you feel like the first versions you read were accurate, if there was anything you feel they didn't capture, or if they actually improved on the original in any way. (I didn't mean that to imply you're obligated to write about those things. They're questions I find somewhat interesting.)
For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen
Col Klink
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Justin of Archenland » Apr 09, 2020 11:56 pm

Hello all!

Although I've known about NarniaWeb for a few years, I've never had the courage to join the forum until now.

I'm very happy to be part of this community and find out more about everyone's love for and opinions of the Narnian stories.

For now, here goes!

1. Name: Justin of Archenland, or simply Justin
2. King or Queen of Narnia : King
3. Family (single/married/kids): Happily married
4. Occupation: English teacher
5. How you learned about NarniaWeb: I was discussing something with a friend of mine a few years back and wanted to look up some info on it or views of other people. Through a simple search I found NarniaWeb. More recently, I've been working on a small school report concerning the Narnian world and I worked up the courage to join this community. Here I am.
6. How old were you when you first read the Chronicles: Thankfully my mother opened me and my brothers up to Narnia when we were around the age of 7-8. Although first in Dutch, as soon as I was able to comfortably read the English version I did, and I have never gone back!
7. How many times have you read the Chronicles: More than 5, less than 10?
8. Favorite of the Chronicles: Definitely VDT. The imagery there and Reepicheep's (one of my faves.) role in that story. Wow!
9. Hobbies and/or interesting things about you: I am kind of a culture nerd. Music, history, stories, art. Anything can inspire me. I love reading and writing. I sing from time to time in a band. But what I love the most is finding stories through other people or connecting fiction to real life.

That's the jist of it. I hope to learn more about all of you very soon :)
“Child," said the Voice, "I am telling you your story, not hers. I tell no one any story but his own.”
― C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
Justin of Archenland
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby johobbit » Apr 10, 2020 6:51 am

Welcome to NarniaWeb, Justin of Archenland. How wonderful you have that Dutch heritage to treasure! I am really glad you found the courage to join the forum. B-) Your answers to the questions are thoughtful and interesting. We are glad to get to know you too! Feel free to browse around and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. :)
johobbit

Postby Justin of Archenland » Apr 10, 2020 9:22 am

What a nice and warm welcome, johobbit , thank you very much :)
“Child," said the Voice, "I am telling you your story, not hers. I tell no one any story but his own.”
Justin of Archenland
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Apr 10, 2020 9:29 am

Hi there, Justin of Archenland! :-h We're glad to have you here! It took me a while to gather the courage to join the forum, too... that was about ten years ago and I am sure glad I finally made the decision to become a member! ;))

The report you're writing on the Narnian world sounds like a very fun project! Hope you'll be able to find some inspiration and helpful resources in some of the discussions here. :D

Looks like you've already discovered a couple interesting topics, but have fun continuing to explore the forum! :)
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Justin of Archenland » Apr 10, 2020 10:18 am

Many thanks, The Rose-Tree Dryad!

I don't know why it took me some time, but I'm glad I've mustered up enough to finally join the group. I look forward to speaking to and reading from you more :)

The report you're writing on the Narnian world sounds like a very fun project! Hope you'll be able to find some inspiration and helpful resources in some of the discussions here.

Thankfully, I already have. Which adds a lot to my gladness in being a part of the community!
Justin of Archenland
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Dimitris » Apr 10, 2020 11:47 am

Welcome Justin!

It makes me happy to see people from other countries as well. :)
Dimitris
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Wanderer Between Worlds » Apr 10, 2020 9:25 pm

Hello Justin of Archenland! :)

I hope you enjoy NarniaWeb as much as I have. I recently joined, and I’ve found this to be such a nice and welcoming community! :D I’d love to hear more about your report on Narnia; it sounds so interesting.

—Wanderer
"I am,” said Aslan. "But there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.”
Wanderer Between Worlds
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Justin of Archenland » Apr 10, 2020 11:35 pm

Thank you very much, Dimitri! I'm happy to add to the European representation here ;)

My thanks to you as well, Wanderer Between Worlds (and may I add that I adore your username)

My report is basically on the motives of Lewis' writing of the series. More specifically, if he had any evangelistic reasons to add so many religious symbolism in the stories. I'm basically at the conclusion that he didn't, but that it has had an evangelistic effect nonetheless.

I was actually hoping for something more intriguing for a conclusion, but in the end it was simply not meant to be :p
An added section about The Narnia Code/Planet Narnia (which I hadn't heard of before) definitely deepened my personal views on the literary skills of Lewis, but since I can't prove or ascribe to the main theory of that research, it didn't change much of my own conclusion.
Justin of Archenland
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Courtenay » Apr 11, 2020 2:37 am

Hello and welcome, Justin of Archenland! :) I'm really enjoying reading your contributions so far.
"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed." (Prince Caspian)
Courtenay
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Justin of Archenland » Apr 11, 2020 7:33 am

Courtenay wrote:Hello and welcome, Justin of Archenland! :) I'm really enjoying reading your contributions so far.

Thank you, Courtenay! That's always nice to hear. I'm learning a lot here in such a short time, so I'm happy I can contribute as well :)
Justin of Archenland
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Wunderkind_Lucy » Apr 11, 2020 9:20 am

Hello, Justin of Archenland! Glad to have you join us!

Justin of Archenland wrote:Although first in Dutch, as soon as I was able to comfortably read the English version I did, and I have never gone back!

I think it's very cool that you've been able to read the Chronicles of Narnia in both Dutch and English. I'm bilingual in Korean and English, but I haven't read much fiction in Korean (although I plan to eventually).

Like Courtenay, I've been enjoying reading your contributions so far! :)

~Wunder
Wunderkind_Lucy
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Justin of Archenland » Apr 11, 2020 11:14 am

Thank you, Wunder !

Is there a reason for not reading much in Korean, or has it just not happened as often as you had hoped? I'd assume there are some amazing Korean works out there!

I actually met a Korean-German last month on 'a sort of' pilgrimage in Spain. She has opened my eyes to the great Korean history and culture. I have become very intrigued ;;)

Thank you for the encouragement; much appreciated! :)
Justin of Archenland
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby stargazer » Apr 11, 2020 4:47 pm

Welcome, Justin! Enjoy the forum!
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Justin of Archenland » Apr 12, 2020 4:02 am

Thank you, stargazer! :)
Justin of Archenland
NarniaWeb Regular

PreviousNext