This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Getting to Know You

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Getting to Know You

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Feb 07, 2014 5:24 am

As a veterinary student, that sounds incredible, aileth! I always love it when an animal comes into our teaching hospital for a dystocia (presuming that it's not something emphesematous or life threatening.) The other day there was a goat dystocia, and as I walked by, I saw two fourth year students holding kids like little babies. It looked like they were burping them ;)).

Welcome to NarniaWeb; it's great to have you here.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby johobbit » Feb 07, 2014 8:35 am

It is fascinating reading even a bit about your lambing experiences, aileth! I bet you have story after story. Yep, human kids are amazing as well! All the best to you in both these ventures. :)

Oh, those students who don't practice :|

Yeah, no kidding. 8-| :P
johobbit

Postby aileth » Feb 08, 2014 9:33 pm

First lambs yesterday. In -10 C. With snow on the ground. Aaaahh! We currently have a lamb in front of the stove. She's too weak to stay out with her twin, so we take her every two hours to eat. Maybe by tomorrow she'll be able to be outside again.

(Dr) Kirke, that's rather neat. I'm afraid that I don't know half the names for the conditions I see, so I'm impressed.

I often wish that I could just hand the sick ones over to someone more capable. The nearest large animal vet is about an hour away, and even he looks blank when you mention sheep. So, it's us or nothing. We have a couple of good books and the internet; we ask the Lord for wisdom and hope for the best.

I have all the James Herriot books, and really enjoyed reading them. I think that's how I knew what to do when I first had to deliver a lamb. You're right, johobbit, there are lots of stories. Perhaps I'll write them down someday; I just have to get through my other writing projects first. Ha! Maybe I'd better not wait that long.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby johobbit » Feb 09, 2014 1:01 pm

That's a cold 'un on which to be working outside. But 'tis good to hear two lambs arrived safely :), and that one is warming by the stove. How precious. I hope she comes along well. And you guys are basically your own vet, that is really something. You must be learning so much! I am impressed.

I will never forget Herriot saying in one (or more) of his books that even after seeing hundreds of births he never tires of the thrill and joy of being a part of the delivery of a calf or lamb or colt/foal as they come out all slimy and ungainly, and then as the mother instinctively noses them close and they begin to suckle after awhile. Beautiful!

Perhaps I'll write them down someday; I just have to get through my other writing projects first. Ha! Maybe I'd better not wait that long.

;)) But, really, that would be very cool! :)
johobbit

Postby Darcy of Archenland » Feb 19, 2014 3:56 pm

Hello again Dears!
Name: Well it really depends...my REAL name is Monique. But who uses those these days? Other than parents. I answer most to Regina but here Darcy will do. Technically my full name is Darcy Regina Jones, but you better have an exceptionally good reason to call me that.
King or Queen: If Regina, Evil Queen. If Darcy, Princess.
Family: My parents and pets. Single Lady! (\._./)
Current Occupation: Princess of Archenland, college prisoner and slave of house keeping.
How you learned about NarniaWeb: Many years ago, in a land of myth and a time of magic, also known as 2009 ish...I randomly stumbled upon NarniaWeb while googling Narnia stuff. I made an account shortly after and then this wicked thing called "education" came along behind me, nabbed me and locked me in a tower never to be seen for a few hundred years. Then I had WiFi installed in that tower. But shhhh don't let The Master find out! By this time I don't even remember what my username muchless password was so I had to make a new one. All I remember is I used a Reepicheep picture! Or was it the Fox???? Oh Dear. MountainFireFox was a friend!!! Mountie she is called I do believe.
How old were you when you first read the Chronicles: I was the fantastic age of eight. I had watched the BBC productions several times and begged my parents for the book and promptly finished the whole thing in a couple weeks. Just in time for LWW!
How many times have you read the Chronicles: I lost count after nine for SC, eight for HHB, and seven for the rest. It got too difficult to keep track!
Favorite of the Chronicles: SC for sure. HHB is a close second. I really related to Jill and absolutely am in love with horses!
Hobbies/Interesting things: INSTAGRAM!!!! okay I seem a bit too eager about that. I love Role Play and use my RP account so much more often than my personal. It's sad really...I am in many many many many fandoms but Narnia is my original fandom. I am beyond obsessed with Doctor Who and it is highly probable I will randomly quote/talk about it. You have been warned. My other significantly used fandom is Once Upon A Time...then there's Middle Earth, the Avengers (Marvel in general), Teen Wolf, Sherlock, Merlin (I'm new to it only on season 4 no spoilers! *points sonic blaster*), Robin Hood,...in fact if it's BBC I probably watch it. I love Frozen! I was born in the wrong country. I may be forgetting something. Princess Darcy of Archenland is my original character for role play originally for Narnia and Middle Earth but she ends up in other fandoms too...it gets complicated. I'm a college student, studying for nursing so I really don't have much of a life beyond that...and American football season. Go Packers!!!! Oh wait NFL season is over. *walks away awkwardly* closing random thought: I want medieval fashion to come back! Hooded cloaks, elegant flowly dresses, swords, archery, yes please! Says the girl who wears skinny jeans and converse in all black. Dream job would be costume designer for movies/shows set in fantasy lands. That's all I can think of for now. I love this site with both my hearts!
"I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and the dreamer of improbable dreams." ~the Doctor
Darcy of Archenland
NarniaWeb Newbie

Location: Somewhere past the setting sun, in a TARDIS headed for the Enchanted Forest from Narnia

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Feb 19, 2014 7:42 pm

A bit belated, but welcome to NarniaWeb, aileth! :ymhug: I'm a little bit envious of you and your job as a shepherdess—lambs are just about the cutest things on the face of the earth! :)

Also—welcome to the forum, Darcy of Archenland! I like your name; sounds like you came up with a pretty cool character for roleplaying! If you like Narnia and other fandoms, then it's a great thing you returned to the forums, because there are loads of people on here who love LotR, and Doctor Who, and Marvel, and Sherlock, and—oh, you get the idea. ;)) Here are some threads that you might like checking out:

Special Feature Thread for Doctor Who
The Road Goes Ever On and On: Everything Tolkien
Fabulous Fashion
Costuming and Cosplay: Projects, Ideas, Daydreams, and Cons

Have fun rediscovering the forum, and glad that you joined us! :ymhug:
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Darcy of Archenland » Feb 19, 2014 11:15 pm

Thank you Rose-Tree!!!! I have returned to the land of my people! *cheers* I shall most definitely look into those forums! *eyes Doctor Who one hungrily* Boy have I missed it here!!! :ymhug:
"I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and the dreamer of improbable dreams." ~the Doctor
Darcy of Archenland
NarniaWeb Newbie

Location: Somewhere past the setting sun, in a TARDIS headed for the Enchanted Forest from Narnia

Postby Phosphorus » Mar 02, 2014 1:20 pm

Hello. It's been a while. :)

Almost four years, actually, since I last posted (2010), and longer since I've been very active. I graduated from Belhaven University in 2011 with a major in history and a minor in creative writing, and in 2013 I received my M.A. in American history from George Mason University in Virginia. I'm now married to a wonderful girl, living in Mississippi, visiting classes, actively reading theology and philosophy, researching, writing fiction, and will hopefully be doing some adjunct teaching for Belhaven this month. I plan to apply for doctoral programs in history next year.

I recognize some usernames, but it sure has been a long time. I'm just dropping in to say hello, and to add that I'm grateful for all the friendship you NarniaWeb folks gave me during a rather lonely period of my life. Hope all is well with the lot of you. I don't know if I'll be around much on the forum, but I wish you the best.

Rex ("Phosphorus")
Phosphorus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby fantasia » Mar 02, 2014 1:48 pm

Hiya Phosphorus, it's great of you to drop by to say 'hi.' I do remember you. :) Glad to hear life has been going well for you since you were last here. Hopefully you'll be able to stop by more often, but if you can't, we understand. :)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Mar 03, 2014 6:53 pm

Welcome back to NarniaWeb, Phosphorus! :)

I joined much later than you did, but I lurked for a very long time before that, and I remember your name and recall enjoying your posts on threads like Christianity, Religion and Philosophy. If my memory serves me correctly, didn't you also take part in a quest back in the days of the Holy Order of the Spoiler-Free Monastery before the release of Prince Caspian? I remember reading that and thinking it was absolutely hilarious. :))

It's good to hear that life has been treating you well, and it's nice to see your name on the forum again! Hopefully you'll drop by again sometime soon!
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby johobbit » Mar 04, 2014 7:38 am

Wow, Phosphorus, so good to see you here on NarniaWeb again, and to hear of the exciting events in your life. Much has transpired! It's neat to know that the forum was such a support and blessing to you in those years.

I think a number of us remember you well, especially, as Rose mentioned, your well-articulated and thoughtful posts. Do pop by again if/when you are able. :)
johobbit

Postby ForPeterAndAslan » Mar 05, 2014 6:18 am

Name-Just Call Me PA (Peter and Aslan) I really don't mind whatever you call me.
King/Queen-King I guess. Although I prefer the term Ruler. ;)
Family-The evil rulers of the house. (My Parents) I am single.
Occupation- None yet, but in a few years I will.
How I learned about Narnia web-I searched the Internet and there it was.
How old I was when I first read Narnia-Between like 9/10 to 11 I think
How Many times have I read the Chronicles-Once
Favorite Book-Horse and His Boy probably. Although as far as the movies, definitely PC
Hobbies-Writing stories although most of them I never finish :(( I also enjoy reading, I love sleeping in, and I love eating.
ForPeterAndAslan
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Mar 05, 2014 4:33 pm

Welcome to NarniaWeb, ForPeterAndAslan! :-h I'm half-tempted to just nickname you Ruler since you said you like the sound of that. ;)) I can empathize with you on starting stories and never finishing them—I have about a million of those! Since you like reading and writing, you might want check out the Books Thread and Writer's World, as well as the thread for Camp NaNo 2014 if you're interested in the crazy fun challenge of trying to write a 50k word novel in one month! Anyway, welcome to the forum and enjoy looking around! :)
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby ForPeterAndAslan » Mar 05, 2014 5:50 pm

Thank you... I might enter camp NaNo. Although I probably wouldn't finish. :D
ForPeterAndAslan
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby NarnianPrincess » Mar 10, 2014 9:23 am

1. Name (please avoid your real full name):NarnianPrincess
2. King or Queen of Narnia (guy or girl): Queen
3. Family (single/married/kids): Single
4. Occupation: Princess of Narnia
5. How you learned about NarniaWeb: From my friend shortly before LWW came to theaters in 2005.
6. How old were you when you first read the Chronicles: Oh dear... I can't remember. ;)) Mom started out reading them to me, so that was many many years ago.
7. How many times have you read the Chronicles: Several times.
8. Favorite of the Chronicles: Probably Voyage of the Dawn Treader or The Magicians Nephew.
9. Hobbies and/or interesting things about you: I enjoy reading, drawing, watching movies, hanging out with my friends and family I also have a strange British-esque accent even though I was born and raised in the United States ;)
Sincerly,
Her Royal Highness
Princess Elizabeth-Aka(Narnian Princesss)
The Bible isn't History it's His Story!
NarnianPrincess
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby johobbit » Mar 10, 2014 9:27 am

A hearty welcome to ForPeterAndAslan (Ruler ;) ) and NarnianPrincess! Really glad you're both here. :D :D
johobbit

PreviousNext