This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Harry Potter!!!

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Harry Potter!!!

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jul 10, 2012 2:17 am

DiGoRyKiRkE wrote:It's been more than 48 hours since the last post in this thread, so I feel no shame in double posting ;)).

Dad and I were talking today, and he asked the following question, to which I couldn't give a decent answer.

In the scene in Deathly Hallows, where Harry sees all of those who had sacrificed so much for him, we see Harry's Mom and Dad, Lupin and Sirius, all of which were brought back by the Resurrection Stone.

The question is. . . why do you think that Snape was absent from this meeting. Was it merely because he couldn't stand the three marauders who were present, or was it because he still blamed Harry for Lily's death, or was it some other reason?

No, it wasn't because Harry disliked Snape. Of all people in the world he most sorely missed his parents had to be it. Both Sirius and Lupin count as his father's dearest friends, because both had been unjustly blamed for their deaths, and also because Sirius as Harry's Godfather and Lupin as Harry's mentor were particularly close to him.

Although Dumbledore turns up later at Kings Cross, having some explaining to do, I note that the Resurrection Stone did not bring him forth either. ;) Don't forget either that Dumbledore had had his own painful experience with that Resurrection Stone, and that where Snape was concerned, that Harry might need some time to process fully the information he had learned about this inscrutable teacher and his relationship to his own family members.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Jul 10, 2012 4:53 am

Yes, I never felt Ginny's chemistry with our lead. It was a little better in the book but I think he and Luna should've hooked up. She was far more interesting a character but perhaps too wild for him.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jul 10, 2012 6:06 am

Shadowlander wrote:And then Delores Umbridge, who needs to be choked twice. And then maybe a third time just to make sure.

I heartily agree! In the books she's 100,000 times more deranged and evil! Umbridge was one of the things I disliked about the OOTP film, because they toned her down so very much.

Shadowlander wrote:Speaking of Lucius Malfoy, I knew I'd seen him someplace before.

Yes! He also played the Dad and Captain Hook in the new Peter Pan film (which is amazingly fun!)

Warrior wrote:Yes, I never felt Ginny's chemistry with our lead. It was a little better in the book but I think he and Luna should've hooked up. She was far more interesting a character but perhaps too wild for him.

Yes, I was always hoping that Harry would end up with Luna. . . . . Luna absolutely rocks. Period.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby stargazer » Jul 10, 2012 10:30 pm

First is Bellatrix LeStrange, who needs to be choked. And then Delores Umbridge, who needs to be choked twice. And then maybe a third time just to make sure.

;)) I agree as well. ABC Family ran the movies (except for DH1 or 2) this past weekend, and I watched 4-6. They were fun to watch, except for all the commercials.

Yes, I was always hoping that Harry would end up with Luna. . . . . Luna absolutely rocks. Period.

Ditto here too. I loved the 'spacey' portrayal by the actress (Evanna Lynch) in the movies.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Jul 10, 2012 10:38 pm

Bellatrix is downright evil but I think she's a lot of fun. And Luna Lovegood is easily one of the best characters in the HP universe.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby parableproductions » Jul 11, 2012 4:49 am

Thought I'd join in with my 2 cents - I don't have the time to post on the boards very often (nothing like working 10 to 12 hour days!)

I've read all the books and seen all the movies. This series is one of my favorites. As far as the whole - should Christians read/watch this series - sure, but I think that parents should read/watch with their kids and then talk about what messages were Christian and which ones weren't (because there are both in this series). Of course, I also think that parents should be doing that with a lot of books and movies in order to help develop discernment in their kids.

And I totally agree with those of you who have said that Luna Lovegood is one of the best characters. Even reading the books, I always thought that she belonged with Nevelle - and I'm glad they included that in the movies (without going overboard).

Now, a question for you. What do you think (if anything) that Rowling left out that she should have included? (No "shipping" please). There were just a few little things here and there, that I thought were missing. For example:

Once they got back to the house on Privet Drive after being attacked by Dementors - why didn't Harry try to get Dudley some chocolate? He doesn't even try. I could see Vernon and Petunia telling him to go away, he'd already done enough damage - but I think it would have been in Harry's character to try.
parableproductions
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby shastastwin » Jul 11, 2012 6:51 pm

Has anyone seen this challenge? It's a quiz to see if you can name the top 200 characters in the Harry Potter series by number of mentions. That website also has a quiz for the top 50 by number of mentions (only with that one you can't guess any who aren't in the top 50, or you have to start over) along with a bunch of others along those same lines. They also have some for Lord of the Rings and Narnia. :)
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
Inexhaustible Inspiration
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jul 11, 2012 8:20 pm

I got 135/200 in the time allotted, and that includes the top 67! That's pretty good, if you ask me!

I missed: (putting in spoilers so y'all don't see them before you take the test)
Moaning Myrtle
Lee Jordan
Ernie Macmillan
Firenze
Grawp
Gellert Grindelwald
Fat Lady
Bob Ogden
Fawkes
Frank Bryce
Elphias Doge
Alicia Spinnet
Justin Finch-Fletchley
Gregorovitch
Marrietta Edgecomb
Bertha Jorkins
Travers
Ernie Prang
Montague
Nicolas Flamel
Mary Cattermole
Roger Davies
Bane
Nagini
Fluffy
Dedalus Diggle
Broderick Bode
Michael Corner
Hannah Abbot
Madam Malkin
Augustus Rookwood
Sturgis Podmore
Reg Cattermole
Dick Cresswell
Sir Cadogan
Ronan
Warrington
Mrs. Cole
Mr. Roberts
Leanne
Hokey
Albert Runcorn
Dawlish
Griselda Marshbanks
Romilda Vane
Magorian
Milicent Bullstrode
Beedle the Bard
Aidan Lynch
Moran
Piers Polkiss
Demelza Robins
Hestia Jones
Mafalda Hopkirk
Bogrod
Terry Boot
Hassan Mostafa
Adrian Pucey
Karkus
Professor Tofty
Wilkie Twycross
Jimmy Peakes
Avery
Troy
Augusta Longbottom

I have no idea who half of these people are :))
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Jul 11, 2012 8:36 pm

I drew a blank with 15mins to spare. In that time I got 41/200.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby stargazer » Jul 13, 2012 11:40 am

The noon news today had an item about potential "Olympic Quidditch." They call it "muggle Quidditch" as they don't fly around. ;))

But the players do have broomsticks. Apparently the Snitch is a yellow ribbon attached by velcro onto the back of one of the players. There are some 700 teams worldwide and it's increasing in popularity. One of the players interviewed commented that with both HP and the Olympics in England, it's a natural combination. Maybe someday. ;))
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jul 13, 2012 12:08 pm

Quidditch matches are such fun to watch! They have a Quidditch team at OSU, and I don't know how many times I've seen them playing. Always wanted to join the team, but I had other priorities :(

Here's hoping for some good Quidditch matches in Rio in 2016!!!
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby Lady Haleth » Jul 13, 2012 5:02 pm

I played that once. I was a Chaser and a Beater. We were Ravenclaw, who got beat up on by Gryffindor and Slytherin. However, someone did bring chocolate frogs! :)
The glory of God is man fully alive--St. Iraneus
Salvation is a fire in the midnight of the soul-Switchfoot
Lady Haleth
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jul 21, 2012 4:10 pm

I mentioned a few days ago (I'm not sure where, or to who ;)) ) but I managed to find a really nice time-turner replica online! The one from the noble collection is obviously, everybody's first choice, but it's 50 bucks +S&H.

http://www.universalorlando.com/Merchan ... chain.html

This is the time turner that they sell as a keychain at the park in Universal Studios. It's only $12.95 + S&H and it's very very nice! I took off the key ring, and put it on a big, old, golden chain. For the price; it's just as nice as the noble replica.

SO glad that I finally have one of these ;)

At any rate, the site sells a LOT of merchandise that they sell in the park. . . . I plan on using this as a "Christmas Wish List" :P
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jul 23, 2012 2:47 pm

Again, going by the 24 hour rule (it's been 47 hours and 37 minutes :P )

I just read a spoiler online that said the following concerning the London Olympics:

Apparently, part of the ceremony is going to feature Voldemort fighting off a host of flying nannies based on Mary Poppins. There's going to be a whole section of the opening ceremony based on British children's characters!!!!!!!

And everybody said that the Beijing opening ceremonies could never be topped :))
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby King_Erlian » Aug 01, 2012 1:12 am

I was thinking the other day, while watching one of the Harry Potter films: I would have loved to have seen Tom Baker playing Dumbledore...
King_Erlian
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Aug 01, 2012 7:15 am

Hmmm. . . . . that doesn't strike me as a very good match, King_Erlian. Why do you think he would have made a good Dumbledore.

For me, Dumbledore will always, always, always be Michael Gambon. He did such a magnificent performance, full of life, and wit, and strength. I like him so much better than Richard Harris, who was certainly a "wiser" Dumbledore, but who was so very old and frail, that it just didn't work for me.
DiGoRyKiRkE

PreviousNext