This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Harry Potter!!!

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Special Feature: Harry Potter!!!

Postby decarus » Dec 03, 2009 3:42 pm

That was very interesting, GB. I agree that Trelawney is not aware of how good a seer she is, but i think that makes her predictions all the more interesting. If you go back and reread them from early books they always seem correct.

I always wonder about who else's death she predicted. Mcgonagall said that she predicted a death every year and i always wondered if they were the deaths of people who died in the final battle at hogwarts.
There are no clouds in the sky. There is only the open sun and the Lord watches.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Gandalfs Beard » Dec 03, 2009 4:08 pm

Well, to be balanced, many of her "predictions" were vague enough, that anyone could make such claims and appear "correct". I mean there is so much Doom and Gloom in the World that I could predict a plane crash tomorrow and have a very good chance of being right (let me know if this actually occurs somewhere on Friday Dec 4th 2009 ;) ).

Hermione was right that Trelawney's prediction that the thing "Lavender feared most" happening on a certain date was off the mark.

Yet Trelawney also clearly has some latent abilities that she herself doesn't particularly understand or read very clearly. Lavender's letter about the death of her Bunny arriving on the date Trelawney predicted was an indication that she saw something, but very vaguely. Her predictions of Harry's death were always thwarted.

And it's made clear by McGonagall that a student did not die every year, despite Trelawney's predictions. Neville's cup breaking? She knew a nervous klutz when she saw one =)) . Reminded me of the scene in the Matrix when the Oracle asks Neo if he thinks he would have broken the cup if she hadn't mentioned it.

So a combination of factors including probabilities, luck, educated guesses, and actual ability led to many of Trelawney's predictions at least coming close to the mark.

GB (%)
"Absence of Evidence is not Evidence of Absence" -- Carl Sagan
Gandalfs Beard
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby decarus » Dec 03, 2009 5:52 pm

I think my favorite photos right now are from after Malfoy Manor when the trio apparates to the beach near shell cottage. There is just something about the ocean and the dark rocks. It is just great.

It just really makes me want to see the who Malfoy Manor scene and to know that they are going to split the films right before it is just too much.

I have a lot of photos saved because there were a lot taken when they were filming on location. Now they are holed up in the studio so we will only get the photos they give us.
There are no clouds in the sky. There is only the open sun and the Lord watches.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby TheGentleWarrior » Dec 03, 2009 8:28 pm

decarus, I love, LOVE those pictures from the Shell Cottage filming!! :D :D I'm looking forward to seeing that scene and the Malfoy Manor scene too. Those are some of the most anticipated scenes in the movie for me. :)

I found a really good (but shaky) video of them filming the Shell Cottage scene on Youtube if anyone is interested in seeing it. It just makes me even more excited too see this movie. The splitting of book seven into two movies is going to be reallly hard for me though. Idk if I can wait another six months for part two!!

decarus, are you a part of the COS forums? I've been browsing through them recently and I found someone with your exact name on there and posting some pics too. :)

Btw, why is the Shell Cottage scene in broad daylight?? :-\ It's supposed to be night during that part. :| Love all the HP 7 pics so far! I'm saving them all. :D
Proud ballet dancer!
4/23/12 - First triple pirouette en pointe!
TheGentleWarrior
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby decarus » Dec 03, 2009 8:58 pm

Yeah, i am on the COS forums. I help with the All-inclusive DH list on there, so i could post photos all day. I just really like the ones from shell cottage on the beach. There are some great ones of dobby's burial as well.

Today we just got some footage. It is only four seconds long and not the best quality, but they show the wedding, the trio at the burrow, and what i think is the trio running in the fog of Hogsmeade, notice the wanted posters on the wall.

PS. The split is rough, but for me, better that then them cutting half of the stuff in Deathly Hallows. I am not sure that the film would make sense if they started cutting. It will be a rough six months and we probably won't have the dvd for awhile after that. I do hope that the release the dvd before release part 2.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby TheGentleWarrior » Dec 03, 2009 9:08 pm

Ah, yes, I did just see that footage! :) I'm quite happy to see it. I did straight away notice the posters on the wall and the fog so I was guessing it was the Hogsmeade part that we saw. I wish it was longer though, all this waiting to November 2010 is driving me crazy already!! 8-}

Does anyone have any guesses on when the teaser trailer might come out?? May perhaps? That is six months before the first half of DH is released into theatres. :-\

Dobby's death is probably going to be one of the hardest scenes to watch for me. That along with the Malfoy Manor scene.
I heard that there's going to be a chase scene that's not into the book leading up to the trio's capture and trip to Malfoy Manor. Anyone know if that's confirmed?
Proud ballet dancer!
TheGentleWarrior
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby decarus » Dec 03, 2009 9:17 pm

Yeah the chase scene is confirmed. At some point the death eaters/snatchers will chase the trio through the forest and then capture them. It was mentioned by the director and some people who went to the set when they were filming the trio running through the woods with like twenty death eaters chasing them. There aren't any photos of that, sadly, but it is confirmed.

I think based on the fact that Ron and Harry are wearing the same thing when they talk to Xenophilius Lovegood that they are wearing on the beach of shell cottage after Malfoy Manor that it will all be when long scene, of course, with the films splitting in the middle.

This is my speculation. The trio will go to Xenophilius' house, learn about the hallows, the house will then be attacked by the death eaters. The house will blow up and the trio will run from the house through the woods being chased by the snatchers/death eaters. They will then be captured. End DH Part1. The trio will then be taken to Malfoy Manor and eventually go to Shell Cottage in DH Part 2.

PS. I am not sure about when a trailer will come out. Sometimes we get a teaser six months early, but really most of what you get is in the last two months to six weeks. I hope they keep giving out photos though. I love a good photo.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby TheGentleWarrior » Dec 03, 2009 9:42 pm

Wow, the chase scene sounds intense! Nice speculation too! It's going to be hard for me to see that and then end up seeing "To be continued" flashing up on the screen. But although we have to wait longer i'm glad that this movie is in two parts, that way they can incorporate the whole story into the movie without cutting anything out I hope! #:-s

Yes, any HP photo's i'll welcome with open arms! I hope they continue to bring those out too. They've already released 2 official movie pictures, I hope they release some more soon.
Proud ballet dancer!
TheGentleWarrior
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby decarus » Dec 03, 2009 9:55 pm

Well here are some more photos of the trio after they apparate to the beach. Look you can see the cut on Hermione's neck from when Bellatrix tortures her and Hermione just looks so disheveled. Malfoy Manor is going to be intense. Also here is one of Luna and Bill who run up to them as they are laying on the beach.

I have some great ones of them running through the streets after the wedding attack and of dobby's burial. There has also been a new one recently of are first sighting of Xenophilius.

I'll post some more later. I need to head out.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby TheGentleWarrior » Dec 03, 2009 10:04 pm

WOW thanks decarus! :D I LOVE all of these pics!! And yeah, Malfoy Manor is SO going to be intense. I got excited just looking at the pictures and some of the videos on YT!

I'm wondering just how intense the torture sceneand dobby's death are going to be though. I'm looking forward to those scenes yes, but i'm just wondering how hard they're going to be to watch. :|
Proud ballet dancer!
TheGentleWarrior
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Dec 03, 2009 10:17 pm

The scenes should be intense but not to the level of '24's' torture scenes.
I expected Hermione's cut to be more vicious. The trio look incredibly tired in that photo, especially Rupert Grint.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Dec 04, 2009 4:24 am

Rupert looks like he has a black eye coming on. I thought the break would be after they destroy the Locketcrux. There is a natural slowing of the narrative then. But then nothing much happens in the book between the visit to Xenophilius and going to Malfoy Manor.

[quote="Gandalf's Beard"Trelawney is shuffling a deck of Tarot cards and muttering to herself when harry runs into her. "Two of Spades:conflict"..."Seven of Spades:an ill omen. Ten of Spades: Violence. Knave of Spades: a dark young man, possibly troubled, one who dislikes the questioner-" These references clearly predict:Malfoy's conflicts, the future battle with Harry ending in Malfoy's bloodshed, and Snape's Questioning of Malfoy.[/spoiler

Then she stops dead, looks at a card and says "that can't be right." We aren't given any indication of what card she saw until near the end of HBP. The card is the title of the chapter, "The Lightning Struck Tower", in which [spoiler]Dumbledore is killed atop the Astronomy Tower.
So Trelawney is a far better "seer" than anyone gives her credit for. And Rowling makes a point of this in HBP.[/quote]

Doesn't the 'dark young man' refer to Harry, himself? As for Trelawney's prediction in this instance, it might be correct, but hasn't Dumbledore already planned that if push comes to shove then Snape would kill him instead of Malfoy?

Even the correct prediction Trelawney made about Wormtail escaping suggests that she might have been more aware about events than she has been letting on.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby decarus » Dec 04, 2009 6:34 am

Here is a photo of Xenophilius Lovegood and the second one is of drawings around his door possibly by Luna. Notice Harry and Ron are wearing the same clothes as in the photos of the beach of shell cottage after Malfoy Manor.

And here is a few of Dobby's bruial.

I wish there was some footage of this. They can get play by play photos, but can't get footage. No one had a video camera that day i guess.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Rising_Star » Dec 04, 2009 8:09 am

I don't suppose you can put those pictures in a spoiler is there? Some people haven't read the last book yet. *cough*Johobbit*cough* ;) :P

P.S."Brooklyn!"
Rising_Star
Moderator Emeritus
NarniaWeb's Resident Hunter

Postby johobbit » Dec 04, 2009 10:34 am

Awww, thanks, Ryan. Yes, spoilers would be appreciated. :p

Here is my Harry Potter history:
I read the first three books shortly after they came out, then began the fourth, but had already lost interest. Here was my summary of the first three at the time: Harry escapes the Dursleys and manages to get to Hogwarts; danger ensues; Harry breaks key rules to save the day, conquers Voldemort, and furthermore gets rewarded for his misdemeanor afterwards during a massive school feast ... albeit he does 'save the day'. ;))

Okay, I've changed my opinion now, somewhat, but that was seriously my first reaction. Plus, I think I was kind of rebelling against all the hype. :p (Yes, I know one could come back to me with "What about your love for The LotR movies"—valid question. And the answer is that I have been passionate about Tolkien's writings for nearly forty years now, so ... yeah, big difference. :D )

I have come to enjoy the Harry Potter story better from the films, actually, and have seen them all a few times. I have promised that I will begin reading Deathly Hallows over the Christmas break. *crosses heart* So, now that I've stated this publicly, I daren't not follow through. ;) Then later on I will go back and read books 4-6, and maybe even end up starting at book 1 and re-read those first few.

Kind of random: did anyone else think Ginny's character in HBP was ... flat, one-dimensional? I liked Bonnie Wright in the other films (especially the one where Harry saves her from Voldemort—the Tom Riddle's diary film), but in HBP she was so monotone and blank, or something. Nothing to her. That disappointed me.

I recently bought the HBP soundtrack, and am getting to know it. At the recommendation on the soundtrack thread, I'd also like to purchase either Azkaban soundtrack or OotP.

Anyway, I will let y'all know what I think of the seventh book. I've always been especially fascinated by Snape (and thinks Alan Rickman does a top-notch, stone-faced job portraying him, plus I love his voice), so I'm really curious (and also hesitant) to find out what becomes of him. I've also been quite torn as to whether he's on the good or evil side, but am strongly leaning towards the former.
johobbit

Postby Gandalfs Beard » Dec 04, 2009 10:52 am

I've seen some of those pics at the Leaky and Mugglenet myself, but they're great. Maybe you should at least put the captions in spoilers though ;) .

Wagga, I initially thought the "dark young man who dislikes the questioner" was Harry myself. But after numerous read-throughs, I am certain now that it is a reference to Malfoy. I think we're supposed to think of Harry first though.

And yes, Dumbledore had already planned that Snape should be the one to kill him, but he didn't know when or where, and Trelawney certainly didn't :) .

EDIT: You're going to read DH first, before finishing 4,5,6 :-o ? Shame on you Jo [-x . You HAVE TO at least read Half Blood Prince before Deathly Hallows. The film shows enough for folks who only watch the films to see the last movie. But it doesn't explain enough for people to be able to transition from HBP the movie, to DH the book.

GB (%)
"Absence of Evidence is not Evidence of Absence" -- Carl Sagan
Gandalfs Beard
NarniaWeb Guru

PreviousNext