The Second Measure: Sewing, Yarnwork, and other Needlework

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: The Second Measure: Sewing, Yarnwork, and other Needlework

Postby Lady Arwen » Feb 21, 2018 10:30 pm

That dress is quite gorgeous! I've never been much for sewing doll clothing (it's the only time in sewing where I feel my fingers and machine are much too large) but yours are awesome.

I may be teaching a few daughters of friends to sew soon. They've been getting into costuming, which I do (just in case any of y'all missed that), and I've found that old sheets make great bases for quick costumes that can be easily sewn (and just as easily ripped ;)) ).
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Re: The Second Measure: Sewing, Yarnwork, and other Needlework

Postby Grandmama » Feb 27, 2018 8:29 am

Lady Arwen wrote: I've found that old sheets make great bases for quick costumes that can be easily sewn (and just as easily ripped ;)) ).

Good idea with the sheets. I've also used them to practice with patterns to make sure they fit before cutting into the "real" fabric.

Lady Arwen wrote:That dress is quite gorgeous! I've never been much for sewing doll clothing (it's the only time in sewing where I feel my fingers and machine are much too large) but yours are awesome.

When my girls were younger, I used to sew Barbie doll clothes. However, I no longer have the desire, the patience or the good eyesight for that!
I understand the "machine being too large" for doll clothes. Set-in sleeves, for instance, need to be done by hand.
I'm looking forward to getting back to sewing doll clothes, but at present, there are too many other projects demanding my attention.
Grandmama
NarniaWeb Regular

Previous