This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Second Measure: Sewing, Yarnwork, and other Needlework

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: The Second Measure: Sewing, Yarnwork, and other Needlework

Postby wild rose » Sep 12, 2012 5:39 am

Mel I've documented the whole process of how I tablet weave, I know some people do it a little differently, but this is how I was taught and how I do it :) I don't know if you still need it, but in any case here it is. Maybe someone else will be interested. I hope I've made it more or less understandable, I tired my best, English not be my native language and not really having someone to correct me on grammatical errors :)
http://vlaworkshop.blogspot.com/
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby Meltintalle » Sep 12, 2012 1:50 pm

Wild Rose! :-o :ymhug: That is an amazing tutorial! I think you've given me enough confidence that I understand the process to jump right in and start a project. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

And it was worth the wait for the dress pictures too. :D
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby wild rose » Sep 14, 2012 10:49 am

I'm SO glad it was able to help you, I'll admit I was kind of nervous when I was making it, cause I had never made anything like this before :)

Meltintalle wrote:And it was worth the wait for the dress pictures too. :D

haha, yeah, it was a long wait, sorry about that :p But I am glad you think it was worth it :)
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby shastastwin » Sep 15, 2012 5:50 pm

I am now approximately 1/4 of the way through my Doctor Who scarf. I'm taking pictures periodically, but I won't put any up yet. I also have offered/been asked to make an afghan as a Christmas present for some friends of ours. I'm using the various squares used in this Knit-along/Crochet-along group. I'm making the crocheted afghan in the first post there. It's Harry Potter-themed but the squares are nice enough that we're considering making one just for us with different colors. ;)) I'm about four squares in, so only another 45 to go. :-o Here's hoping it gets done in time for Christmas. ;)
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
Inexhaustible Inspiration
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby ValiantArcher » Sep 16, 2012 2:16 pm

I'll definitely keep your quilting advice in mind, SnowAngel! Thanks for the encouragement. :)
How are the denim bags going? :)
(Also, I do so little knitting and crocheting too that it can't really be counted either. Actually, I do very little crafting at all. :ymblushing: I'm trying to change that! But, sadly, when you're studying engineering, no one really cares if you can do any sort of needlework. ;)))

Those dollies are really cute, wild rose! :) And I love your dress! :D It's very nice.

How's your weaving project going, wolfloversk? :) What colour(s) are you weaving with?

That sounds like a neat pillow, Lady Haleth! :) How hard is the embroidery to do? And do you have a design for the embroidery, or are you just figuring it out as you go along?

I think I remember seeing some of your work before, IlF. :) Hopefully you'll post some more when you start sewing again? ;;)

Hurrah for progress on the DW scarf, stwin! :) The new project looks a bit challenging to me, but I'm sure it'll go well for you (and that you'll get it done in time ;) ).

So, I ended up doing a quarter of the knitting they wanted for the gauge, but it was all correct dimensionally, so I hope it'll be good enough. ;)) I still haven't started on the wristwarmers yet. I actually am eying some patterns for DW washclothes mainly because they look less intimidating. :ymblushing: ;))
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby wild rose » Sep 18, 2012 1:05 pm

thanks Valia :)

I envy all you people who know how to knit, Once a lady tried to teach me, but being a lefty can have it's disadvantages and I just couldn't get the hang of it. I need to find a fellow left-hander who knows how to knit to teach me :)

here are a few more dolls I made. These ones are called Dolls of Happiness, though I prefer to call them 'Little Rapunzels' :)

'Little Rapunzels'
my favorite 'Little Rapunzel'
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby shastastwin » Sep 18, 2012 2:38 pm

Wild rose, I'm not left-handed, but I did a quick search to see if there were any guides to knitting for left-handed people.

WikiHow to Knit Left-handed
Youtube Basics of Knitting Left-handed

I hope those will help. I've often gone to Youtube to better understand new knitting stitches.

I'm making slow but steady progress on my Doctor Who scarf, and I've started another square for the afghan. :)
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby Meltintalle » Sep 18, 2012 2:58 pm

Is DW Dr Who or a brand name, Valia? I can see it being either, but I'm leaning towards the latter... Also, yay for swatches! (and math) B-)

Those are cute, wild rose! :D

I started my tablet weaving project yesterday, worked on it for several hours and then ripped all the mistakes out this morning and started again. ;)) I am a glutton for punishment and designed a pattern (using the program wild rose mentioned) that calls for four forward turns of the cards and then four backwards turns of the cards and for the longest time I couldn't remember which I was doing when. My little brother helped me a lot: first he handed me a sheet of paper and said "Write it down as you go" and then after watching awhile he figured out a correlation between the pattern and which way I was turning the cards that I could remember. He knew what I was doing before I did! 8-}

Here is what it looks like so far!
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby wolfloversk » Sep 18, 2012 3:41 pm

Question for you tablet weavers... I see you all mentioning "turning the card" just what is that process exactly? Do you rotate the card? Flip it over another card? Sorry for my questioning something that's probably pretty basic... I typically pick up crafts visually, so learning something over the internet can be difficult for me, unless I get a detailed diagram. Plus I've honestly never seen anyone in the process of tablet weaving, so I don't have much visually to go by.
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby Meltintalle » Sep 18, 2012 4:08 pm

It is pretty basic, but watch as I complicate it while explaining... ;))

I think if I say you rotate the card we'll mean the same thing. My brother suggests thinking of the cards as wheels. A visual example would be if you take a post-it note and label the corners

AB
DC

Hold it with the thin side facing you and turn your hand away from you so the corners read

DA
CB

If you repeat you get

CD
BA

etc

Does that make sense?
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby wolfloversk » Sep 18, 2012 7:59 pm

Yep I think it does :) So would you normally rotate it 90, 180, 270 or 360 degrees? or does it depend on the design?
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby Meltintalle » Sep 19, 2012 7:20 am

So far I've only encountered 90 degree turns, but I think there are designs where you'd do more between rows. :)
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby wild rose » Sep 19, 2012 11:52 pm

Mel is right, you usually only turn the cards 90 degrees,

you're design is amazing Mel, and I see you labled the cards correctly :p due to a mistake when I was learning instead of labeling A B C D, I labeled my A D C B. And now I'm to lazy to re-label them cause I'm used to it this way :p

thank you so much shastastwin :) I'm going to try my hand at it today, if I can find my old knitting needles :)
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby Meltintalle » Oct 08, 2012 4:09 pm

I've finished my tablet|card weaving project! :D

picture proof

Also, I have now finished the body of my sweater and started the first sleeve. I'm pretty close to being done!
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby shastastwin » Oct 12, 2012 8:06 am

I finally have pictures of my DW scarf uploaded. For those of you who are my friends on Facebook, they are in the album "Hobbies."

For everyone else, here you go:

It's about 2/3 done now and measures 6 1/2 feet long. I'm also approaching the halfway mark on my friends' afghan. Four more Ravenclaw squares and then I can tackle Hufflepuff and Slytherin. :)
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby shastastwin » Oct 19, 2012 7:47 am

Well, it only took me another week to finish the scarf. ;)) There's a full pic on FB now, and I'll add one to this post as well. Haven't made much more progress on the afghan, though.

shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

PreviousNext