This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Second Measure: Sewing, Yarnwork, and other Needlework

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: The Second Measure: Sewing, Yarnwork, and other Needlework

Postby Grandmama » Apr 06, 2020 11:02 am

ValiantArcher wrote:Thank you for the reply, Grandmama! I appreciate your thoughts and expertise. :) Your explanation of the fabric ties made perfect sense - though, are you stitching along the outside/right side of the fabric at the end? I don't have an iron with me, so if I end up making some, I'll have to get creative with getting folding/pressing to take. I did find some bits of ribbon around, but I don't think I have enough of anything for four ties. ;))

Yes, you will be stitching along the outside/right side of the fabric at the end. I did try sewing a tube with right sides together and then turning it right side out, but it turned out to be a lot of work to make the ties that way.
I was able to make about 20 more face masks over the weekend using shoe laces. So happy that the shoe laces are now being put to good use and not just occupying space in the closet. :)
"I suppose the sewing machine's too heavy to bring?. . . I can't abide the thought of that Witch fiddling with it. . ."
Grandmama
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby ValiantArcher » Apr 11, 2020 9:11 am

Grandmama, thank you again! I ended up making a couple of masks - they are definitely not donate-able, but they're functional, so I have one for shopping and my sister has one for when she has to go meet with people for work. My sewing machine decided to give me probably every problem it could besides breaking a needle. ;)) On the positive side, I discovered that a glass measuring cup heated with a little water in it made a pretty good iron for pressing the ties. :)

So glad you were able to put the shoelaces to good use! :) Have you made any more masks this week?
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby Grandmama » Apr 11, 2020 9:24 am

ValiantArcher wrote: On the positive side, I discovered that a glass measuring cup heated with a little water in it made a pretty good iron for pressing the ties. :)

You are so resourceful! Way to go.
So glad you were able to put the shoelaces to good use! :) Have you made any more masks this week?

Yes, but just a couple for our family and any friends or neighbors who would like some to go grocery shopping. I tried ordering some colorful shoelaces on Amazon, but the expected delivery isn't until May. I'm thinking that I'm not the only person who discovered they make good ties. :)
I work part time at a fabric store and the bias tape display is almost entirely empty--people are making a lot of fabric face masks, I think! The elastic display has been empty for a couple of weeks already. The store is now closed--we are just trying to catch up with the backlog of online orders without the benefit of receiving much helpful new merchandise to stock. It's an interesting time, that's for sure.
"I suppose the sewing machine's too heavy to bring?. . . I can't abide the thought of that Witch fiddling with it. . ."
Grandmama
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby coracle » Apr 11, 2020 5:44 pm

I've been home in my own house for 10 days now, and in spite of its being on my original plan for the 14 day self-isolation (for arriving home from overseas), I have failed to do any sewing or knitting!

So, this week I must take out the gorgeous red wool that I bought nearly 3 years ago before leaving to live in UK, and choose a pattern to knit it with.

Also I need to look in my sewing box at a couple of items that I partly-sewed about 4 years ago.....
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby ValiantArcher » Apr 12, 2020 4:20 pm

Thank you, Grandmama! Though I feel like now is certainly a time for resourcefulness if any. ;))
I'm glad to hear you're able to make masks for your family and others needing them. :) I'm a little surprised your store has any bias tape left! If I'd had it with me, I would've used those before making ties as well. ;)) I hope catching up on the backlog goes well! :)

coracle, I hope you have success with choosing a pattern for your wool. :)

My knitting project last week - and probably for most of this week - is a string/market bag in blue cotton. I'm not sure when I'll be able to use it, though. ;)) The holes are about finger-sized, which was one of the attractive features about the pattern - and means it should work for a variety of things besides groceries/produce. :)
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Previous