This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Second Measure: Sewing, Yarnwork, and other Needlework

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: The Second Measure: Sewing, Yarnwork, and other Needlework

Postby IloveFauns » Sep 15, 2013 1:31 am

johobbit wrote:May I just say again that I am awed by the talent in here: Bella, IlF, Ozymandias, wild rose, others on the previous pages ...

IloveFauns wrote:I will post up more of my quilt as soon as possible.(in my case that may be 3 weeks).

Any pics ready? ;;) ;))

Ha and more than a month after this post, still none and they are all on my old computer now which is rather disappointing.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby johobbit » Sep 17, 2013 1:53 pm

Hopefully we can see them at some point, IlF. Whatever works for you. B-)

Oh my goodness, wild rose, your little amigurimi family is adorable, as is the blankie lovie! Having said that, I had to Google both words (amigurimi and blankie lovie), because I had never heard of either of them before. :ymblushing: ;)) And the cross stitch is gorgeous! So fine and delicate.

EDIT: Bella, I'd love to see the adult sweater when you're finished. What a special gift for your grandmother! And how cool about taking knitted waste and turning it back into something of value. Great idea!
johobbit

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Oct 15, 2013 5:53 pm

Digging this thread out of the high past to show off my new scarf. It's the first thing I've ever knitted before, and apart from a few flaws, I consider it to be pretty good.

Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby johobbit » Oct 16, 2013 5:24 am

DiGsY, that is lovely. That maroon colour is especially attractive. Good job, especially for your first knitting project! And I do like how you have it draped so artistically over the chair. How long is it? 6-7 feet or so?
johobbit

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Oct 16, 2013 5:37 am

It's longer than that; more like 8 feet. The original strips were about 10 feet each, but when I sewed them together, they shrank.

I'm now working on an iPod sleeve.
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby Meltintalle » Oct 16, 2013 7:50 am

That's really neat, DiGs! (At first I thought you'd done the stripes lengthwise, so they were super long and only a few rows and my mind was totally boggled but then I woke up and realized that they must have been short rows and lots of them. ;)) ) I bet the iPod sleeve will work up really quick in comparison. :)
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Oct 16, 2013 5:59 pm

Meltintalle wrote:At first I thought you'd done the stripes lengthwise, so they were super long and only a few rows and my mind was totally boggled but then I woke up and realized that they must have been short rows and lots of them.

Actually. . . you were right the first time. The whole scarf is only made of five strips. So the strips are like 8 feet by 1.5 inches.
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby AslansChild » Oct 16, 2013 8:03 pm

Which way did you knit? The length-side? (The 1.5 in.) If not, I'm very much in awe of the needles used for the 8 ft! :-o Did you use a pattern, or was is just freestyle?

Also, very very lovely for a first time! *cheers*

My first project, a few years back, was a very very crooked-rowed purse. I kept increasing and decreasing my stitches without realizeing it! And the gauge was sometimes too tight... ;)) And my first swatch/piece of knitting resembled more of a doily, the stitches were so loose. :p
"...when my heart is overwhwlemed, lead me to the Rock that is higher than I."
-Pslam 61:2
AslansChild
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Oct 17, 2013 3:44 am

AslansChild wrote:Which way did you knit? The length-side? (The 1.5 in.) If not, I'm very much in awe of the needles used for the 8 ft!

Yeah. . . . 8 foot knitting needles would be quite the sight to see :)). I did the length side, which was a total of six stitches on size 10 needles.

AslansChild wrote:Did you use a pattern, or was is just freestyle?

Nope, it was just freestyle.

I will hopefully finish my iPod cover today :D
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby wild rose » Oct 17, 2013 7:15 am

that's a really nice scarf Digs, (oh and an amazing chair :) ) I like the combination of colors. :)

post a picture of your iPod cover when your done :) (please :) )
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Oct 17, 2013 6:01 pm

Finished the iPod cover tonight :D REALLY pleased with the way it turned out.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q167 ... 8bd31e.png

Does that image work for everyone?

This was insanely easy to make. . . . I feel like I could whip one out every two days and sell 'em ;))
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby wild rose » Oct 18, 2013 5:44 am

really nice Digs :) A nice color combination, did you plan it out or use colors randomly?

I'm working on knitting a sweater for my nephew, but it's coming along really slowly. I'm hoping to have it finished over the weekends, cause I know my older sister is waiting for me to get it done, as my nephew needs a warm sweater cause the weather has gotten cold
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Oct 18, 2013 10:49 am

wild rose wrote:really nice Digs :) A nice color combination, did you plan it out or use colors randomly?

The colour combination was actually in the yarn itself. . . it was multicoloured yarn (I had to buy it when I saw that they were almost Ravenclaw colours ;)) ).

I really wanna see pics of your progress on the sweater, wild rose!
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby Ozymandias » Oct 18, 2013 3:58 pm

johobbit wrote:May I just say again that I am awed by the talent in here: Bella, IlF, Ozymandias, wild rose, others on the previous pages ...

:ymblushing: Thank you JoHobbit, and it's good to see that this thread is still up and running! :)

Ok, so I've been gone for a while but while I've been gone I've been sewing like a right maniac so that means PICS and lots of them. :D I will show a small selection for now since I'm at school and will post more once I smileyfy myself through the power of MS paint. :D Also I have no clue how to resize these things so my apologies to the mods if they eat the page

Project 1: Apple-green circle skirt (for sale)

Project 2: Audrey-Hepburn inspired dress (for myself) as seen on the hanger:

MORE TO COME SHORTLY (I hope ;) ).
Ozymandias
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby wild rose » Dec 06, 2013 7:33 am

digging deep deep to find this

unfortunatly, the sweater is taking a loooong time to get done. I finished the body and one sleeve, I need to make the other sleeve and the collar. I'm *hoping* I'll have it done in time for Christmas and then just give it to my nephew as a Christmas present

Ozymandias, wow, I love that skirt, it's totally something I would wear :) and that's a lovely dress, you sure have talent with sewing.

With the New Years/Christmas season coming up, I've been loaded by my older sister with costume sewing for her younger dance groups (3-6 yrs.) So far I've made 12 skirts and 8 blouses. I've still got to make 10 vests, 2 or 3 more skirts, I've got to make new sleeves for about 10 blouses and about 20 hair elastics...I think that's it ;)) . And my sister wants it all done by this Monday @-) I'm not sure I'll make it on time, but maybe some magic powers will come to me....
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby shastastwin » Dec 06, 2013 8:58 am

Wow, rose! That's quite a workload. I hope you get it all done in time.

I'm currently working on my first cabled knit item: a scarf roughly based on Lupin's in the third Harry Potter movie. It's gone pretty well so far. I'm about 3/5 or so done with it, and haven't had much opportunity this week to work on it. I'm hoping to have it done before our Christmas trips later this month since it's wool and will be a nice, warm, and more portable option for a scarf compared to my also nice and warm Doctor Who scarf. That thing is close to 10 feet long (maybe longer) and isn't very convenient for long trips. ;))
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
Inexhaustible Inspiration
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

PreviousNext