This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Anime/Manga SF: It's over 9000!

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Anime/Manga SF: It's over 9000!

Postby stardf29 » Aug 06, 2012 12:22 am

Welcome to the Anime/Manga SF!

Anime and manga refer to popular forms of entertainment originating from Japan. Manga is the Japanese form of comic books, while anime typically refers to any animation from Japan. A good number of anime are adaptations of some sort, oftentimes of manga or video games, though adaptations of "light novels" (illustrated serialized stories) have become common lately.

One big draw of manga and anime is the sheer variety and uniqueness covered by these mediums. Grand adventures like Dragon Ball and One Piece, action-packed shows like Bleach, Naruto, and Cowboy Bebop, and deep, involved storylines like those in Fullmetal Alchemist and Ghost in the Shell are well known; it's also near impossible to mention anime without mentioning its unique genres like the shows of giant mecha robots popularized by Mobile Suit Gundam and the world of magical girls that Sailor Moon had drawn many into. The "shoujo" subset of manga and anime has provided many girls (and willing guys) such works like Fruits Basket. And of course, we can't forget all of the great masterpieces of Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli, producing unforgettable movies like Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro, and Princess Mononoke.

Go even deeper and you can find even more unusual offerings from the land of the rising sun. A show called Azumanga Daioh displays school life punctuated by offbeat comedy. Shows like Tenchi Muyo! and Love Hina are a male fantasy come true: a guy surrounded by girls interested in him. (Not that the girls have to miss out on the fun, if the popularity Ouran High School Host Club is of any indication.) Recent favorites like The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Clannad add a touch of supernatural and explore the depths of human emotion, while shows like K-ON! provide a laid-back slice-of-life experience (and some music to boot). If something more intense is to your liking, the complicated machinations found in Death Note and Code Geass might be to your liking. And there's far more where these all came from...

Of course, all this would be fairly moot if it just stayed in Japan. However, anime and manga has gained quite some international popularity, leading to massive efforts to get them translated and offered to audiences around the world, particularly in the United States. Helping to expand the popularity in the US is the practice of dubbing anime, giving the characters English voices. Of course, Studio Ghibli movies are a common sight in theaters. Bookstores oftentimes have entire shelves dedicated to and filled with manga. On TV, anime has been popularized by child-friendly shows like Naruto, but also by blocks like Cartoon Network's Toonami, bringing shows like Cowboy Bebop to the older crowd. Companies like FUNimation and Sentai Filmworks specialize in producing DVDs (and now Blu-rays) of anime for fans to watch at any time. And now, watching anime for free (and legally) hasn't been easier thanks to websites like Crunchyroll and Hulu, which stream a variety of anime shows for the economically challenged. (If you're interested, check out this page for

And, of course, every year across the country, anime conventions are held for anime and manga fans to get together and share in their indulgence of the art, up to and including dressing up as their favorite characters, a practice known as "cosplay".

But that's enough talk. Time for you to go ahead and talk about anything and everything related to Japanese manga and anime. Plug your favorite series! Talk about your recent discoveries! Or, if you'd prefer some questions to answer, have a go at these:

1. Why do you like anime and manga?
2. How did you get into anime and manga? What were those "gateway series" that got you hooked?
3. What are your favorite anime and manga series?
4. Do you prefer anime or manga? Why?
5. What types (genres) of anime/manga do you like?
6. When watching anime, do you prefer dubs (English voices) or subs (Japanese voices with English subtitles)?
7. What anime and manga are you watching/reading right now? What do you think of it?
8. Have you ever been to an anime convention? What was it like? Did you cosplay? (If not, would you consider it?) Which character did you do (or would you do)?

As usual, follow the forum rules. On that note...

Important Note Regarding "Fansubs" and Legal Streams:

Please do not link to any fansubs or sites that provide fansubs.
We don't have to know if you watched a show through fansubs or not. If you don't know what fansubs are, don't worry about it. This is not a place to talk about if it is right or wrong to watch fansubs.

You can link to any legal stream of a show.
(Again, please see this page for which websites and YouTube channels are legal streams.) Any links to illegal streams will be removed.
"A Series of Miracles", a blog about faith and anime.

Avatar: Kojiro Sasahara of Nichijou.
stardf29
Moderator Emeritus
I'm on a goat.

Re: Anime/Manga SF: It's over 9000!

Postby shastastwin » Aug 06, 2012 7:28 am

I like the animes that I have watched because they fit into my normal category of interests: fantasy, action, etc. I have not read any manga yet.

2. How did you get into anime and manga? What were those "gateway series" that got you hooked?
Someone introduced me to an anime called Trinity Blood, which takes place in a future where the Church and vampires are at war. I also had a friend loan me her copy of an anime called History of Logos War (or something like that). That was my first real taste of anime (though sadly I have not finished the series yet), but what got me hooked was watching Fullmetal Alchemist after doing some research on medieval alchemy for a paper in my Shakespeare class.

So far, Fullmetal Alchemist is the best I've found.

Well, I like anime and haven't read any manga, so I don't know that I really prefer one.

As I said above, I like fantasy and action-based animes. I think the ones I find myself drawn to are the ones with a darker tone that explore human nature.

6. When watching anime, do you prefer dubs (English voices) or subs (Japanese voices with English subtitles)?
I generally prefer dubs, because watching the show and reading subtitles gets distracting.

7. What anime and manga are you watching/reading right now? What do you think of it?
I'm making my way slowly through D. Gray Man. It's decent but much weirder than the others I've watched before.

8. Have you ever been to an anime convention? What was it like? Did you cosplay? (If not, would you consider it?) Which character did you do (or would you do)?
I have not, but I wouldn't mind going to a con at some point (anime or otherwise; actually a general con is more likely). I would definitely cosplay if I went to a con. If I did an anime character, I would probably try to do Edward Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist. Although I'm much more like Alphonse, Edward would be easier for me to pull off. ;))

I assume that for the sake of this discussion we are only dealing with Japanese-produced works. If not, I'll have to include Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra in my thoughts (and my cosplay character would be Aang, since I've done that character before for Halloween).
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
Inexhaustible Inspiration
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby Aslanisthebest » Aug 06, 2012 10:11 am

I'm not a dedicated anime/manga fan; I've only had a few samplings here and there, but I've not read or watched extensive amounts of it. My sister recently got into anime and manga, so I kind of trail along and see/watch some things with her. I know a couple things to avoid.....like out-there, odd shoujos and other things I'd like to steer clear of... :P I don't know it on a level I can actively converse about it, though. The very few I know about are the anime series Detective Conan (I've watched one, my sister seen more), the manga Yotsuba, and of course, a few of the Ghibli ones. I really, really, really want to see Akage no Ann.

1. Why do you like anime and manga? The first thing that got me into Manga was the way it was read - from right to left. I think I finished the first manga I've read and completed in one sitting because the traditional right to left of manga really fascinated me and made the story more interesting to read. :P I enjoy anime - speficially, how Ghibli does anime, nice and gentle with beautiful backgrounds. Though I don't like Ponyo's story or characters (except for Sosuke, because he was nice :P ), the animation was just breathtaking. (the fish-wave things, for example! And the lighting!) For the Ghibli ones, I've seen My Neighbour Totoro (which I really liked. Satsuki and Mei probably are on my "favourite characters" list.), Howl's Moving Castle (which was... eh, the animation was nice but it wasn't my cup of tea.), Spirited Away (The animation was, as always, beautiful. I probably would not watch it again because there were things that wierded me out. The general atmosphere was very interesting. My favourite part was when Chihiro went on the train on the water, because of the animation.), and Ponyo. (The animation, like I said, was lovely. It's probably my favourite animation in Ghibli films, that is, until I see Arietty. The lighting was lovely, the shape of everything was so realistic and beautiful. I really liked the animation, but the story not so much. Ponyo got on my last nerves, Sosuke's mom was ..., Ponyo's dad was O.o, and Ponyo's mom was doubly O.o. I didn't really like the character roles (such as, how mothers and fathers were portrayed), and the plot. Sosuke was probably my favourite character, to some point.) I've really come to see how talented manga artists are. Little things like one frame with someone's head turning, then a close up of the head, all add up the the fluidity of following the story and appreciating the art at the same time. At one point, I did not know how I would be able to read a graphic novel and follow along at the same time, but now that I see how artistic and minutely detailed and well-done each and every square is, I find it so interesting and really hard to put down. I wish I knew of more good and enjoyable mangas, because I really enjoy the small bit of what I've tasted of graphic novels.
2. How did you get into anime and manga? Like I said above, my sister. For a long time, I thought anime and manga (due to seeing tidbits of stuff when we had cable and were flipping through the channels) were too fast-paced and only in one selected genre. However, my sister found many things that have made me like anime and manga and my initial opinion of it is now changed.
3. What are your favorite anime and manga series? I haven't actively watched a series. I would really, really like to read more Yotsuba! Our library only has the first one (which I picked up, not knowing what it was, and finished in one sitting but constantly flipped through it. I don't know if I've ever laughed out loud that many times when reading something. :P ) I think I laughed really hard when Jumbo put Ena and Yotsuba in the back of the pick-up truck and said, "Don't stand up" Despite Yotsuba's antics, I thought, for sure, that she wouldn't stand up. But then... "YAY! *THUNK*" :)) There were many memorable quotes that had me laughing.
But...yes... I really liked Yotsuba. And, also, I would like to see the Akage no Ann series. I've seen a few things here and there and heard that it's a really extensive and detailed version of Anne of Green Gables... plus, the animation is lovely. But, alas, no one has it nearby. :(
4. Do you prefer anime or manga? Why? Uh... from the little I've gone through, both? I liked Miyazaki-style anime. I really like the way he does anime. I really enjoy manga, too, because (as I said to the first question) the right-to-left style of reading is neat.
5. What types (genres) of anime/manga do you like? I can't fully say, because I haven't really read/watched that much to say. I suppose the same genres I like in any other type of media: realistic fiction, historical fiction, mystery, comedy. I'd say fantasy but I am a bit finnicky with fantasy.
6. When watching anime, do you prefer dubs (English voices) or subs (Japanese voices with English subtitles)? I've watched every anime I have in dubs, but I honestly think I prefer subs. The one anime which I like the dubs is My Neighbour Totoro. I think the Fanning sisters did a good job with that. However, I did not like the dubs for Ponyo. I'll be watching The Secret World of Arietty in subs because my sister and I thought that would be a nicer experience. Hopefully the subtitles will not distract me too much.
7. What anime and manga are you watching/reading right now? What do you think of it? Planning to watch The Secret World of Arietty tonight? ;)) Technically, we're in the middle of Yostuba but we don't know when we'll get the next one. I am excited for Arietty and think it looks very interesting, and like I said above, I think, from what I have read, Yotsuba is fantastic. :P
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby CSLewisNarnia » Aug 06, 2012 9:22 pm

Just a bit ago, I was browsing through the old Anime/Manga SF (which is where I was able to get some good information for some shows and books I might like), and I kept thinking, "I really hope they open another one up!" :P Thanks for opening it up! :D

1. Why do you like anime and manga?Why? Well… I really enjoy animation and anime & manga have a unique way of presenting animation and illustration.
2. How did you get into anime and manga? When my sister and I were younger, we had seen this show called “Superbook” and I remember thinking that the characters looked interesting. Eventually I started seeing stickers with manga, etc. etc. I was kind of not interested in anime/manga, because I thought that it was mostly sci-fi, which is not my favorite genre ;)) But then, I saw My Neighbor Totoro. It was so pretty, so sweet! And not sci-fi!! :P So I'm looking around for more anime/manga that I might enjoy.
3. What are your favorite anime and manga series? I’m really new to anime and manga, so...hehe ^.^'
From the Ghibli movies I’ve seen, My Neighbor Totoro is my favorite. Mei and Satsuki were really sweet, and the background… phenomenal. The colors, the grass, the trees, the sounds, blended together into this beautiful countryside.
The other Ghiblis I’ve seen are Spirited Away , Howl’s Moving Castle , and Ponyo. Neither were my favorites or really enjoyed by me, but they did have some stuff that I liked. Ponyo in particular had a really nice setting. I love the colors and the sea-side feel. I really liked the huge fish as sea waves. :P
TV shows… I’ve only seen Detective Conan, or Case Closed, which was alright.
Manga... I’ve only read one animanga book of My Neighbor Totoro, all but one of Castle in the Sky , and the manga Yotsuba&! Totoro was as pretty as the movie. I liked the sounds effects :P I wrote some of them down in case I ever try my hand at making small graphic novel strips. ;)) Yotsuba was good. It was so hilarious! It was one of the only non-sci-fi/romance/drama/the-non-family-friendly-stuff at our library. My sister and I have been quoting some of the first book. :P
4. Do you prefer anime or manga? Why? Well… I’ve seen more anime, so maybe that? But, I guess that if I wanted to watch something, I’d like anime. And if I wanted to read something, I’d like manga. :P
5. What types (genres) of anime/manga do you like? Kind of realistic fiction (like Yotsuba&!), good comedy, Ghibli’s stuff (I guess that’s fantasy?) has been really nice.
6. When watching anime, do you prefer dubs (English voices) or subs (Japanese voices with English subtitles) ? It kind of depends. I usually don’t mind dubs, esp. if I’ve seen them first in dubs ;)). Subs are nice too, though. I’m used to having subtitles for movies, so it’s not bothersome or anything. We might watch The Secret World of Arrietty tonight and I wanted to see that with subtitles and Japanese audio.
7. What anime and manga are you watching/reading right now? What do you think of it? Maybe Arrietty tonight, but nothing otherwise. :P I’m trying to find some good ones.

I have really been wanted to see Akage no An! But I have been rather unsuccessful in finding it. Hopefully, when I do, I’ll be able to see how I like it. (Now, though, from seeing pictures and stuff of it on Wikipedia and other trustworthy sites, it looks really cute! :P )

--CSLN
Icon by me. Sister: Aslanisthebest
Every time I think of a quote or witty comment to put here, the quote is not so spectacular and the comment is not so witty.
CSLewisNarnia
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby DamselJillPole » Aug 07, 2012 12:18 am

Of course i love the way the characters are drawn out and the scenery are gorgeous always. Really why I love them so much is that I consider them to be the best stories ever. I'm a huge fan of 'The heroic Journey' and most stories in anime/manga definitely have that.

My best childhood friend got me hooked on Inuyasha and Cowboy Bebop and loved anime ever sine then.

Inuyasha, Pokemon, Avatar, Cowboy Bebop, Spirited Away, Castle In The Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service, among other Ghibli films, but Spirited Away I am most obsessed with ;;)

I've read some manga before, but I still prefer anime.

Spiritual mostly. Fantasy and family.

English is good but I really love the Japanese vocies with English Subtitles more because it's better to get into the story that way.

Not currently however I am working on a Spirited Away fanfic at the moment.

I've never been to an anime convention yet, but I will. I did however cosplay Kagome from Inuyasha and Kairi from kingdom Hearts, the video game :p

Yeah I love anime.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby stardf29 » Aug 08, 2012 2:42 am

Okay, I guess I should answer my own questions. :P

1. Why do you like anime and manga? As I've mentioned, the sheer variety and uniqueness of anime and manga is its biggest draw. It also helps that I generally prefer animation to live-action stuff.

2. How did you get into anime and manga? What were those "gateway series" that got you hooked? Cardcaptor Sakura. Well, I guess I was kinda-sorta interested in that mangled English version that aired on TV way back when and decided to look it up again, found the original version, and... well, the rest was history.

3. What are your favorite anime and manga series? Anime-wise, my favorite is Clannad, including the "After Story" second season. Well, especially that second season. It is a story of relationships, with a bit of a supernatural element, and what I especially like is how it goes past the typical high school setting and actually into adult life, allowing this show to cover some ground not normally covered even outside of anime. It has great character interaction and some powerful emotional moments, and really embodies a lot of things I like in a story.

A recent show that has become a big favorite of mine is anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day (represented in my signature). It's a story of a group of childhood friends who have grown apart after the death of one of them, and how they start to come back together when the ghost of their dead friend appears to one of them one day. Watching the journey of these friends is really quite an experience, right up to the finale. It's not very long (only 11 episodes), and fairly focused in the story it tells, and like Clannad, it has powerful emotional moments.

Meanwhile, there is also Nichijou: My Ordinary Life, which is a comedy where all sorts of absurd things happen to normal people, while a young professor, her human-like robot that wants to be fully human, and a talking cat have as normal of a life as they can (which isn't much). It's a good show for seeing just how crazy and off-beat anime can get, though obviously not for those who aren't into high-randomness.

Manga-wise, Fruits Basket is my favorite. It is an extremely intricate story with a great cast of characters. The manga goes far more in-depth than the anime does, but the anime is also a favorite of mine, slotting just below the above three mentioned.

If all things were equal, I prefer anime. Seeing everything animated and colored and voiced adds a special magic to it. The music can be especially important for some series, too, including a recent favorite, Kids on the Slope, which is a story about jazz that is just so much better when you can, you know, actually hear the jazz. (Jazz composed by Yoko Kanno of Cowboy Bebop fame, no less!)

However, an unfortunate result of the anime industry as it works in Japan is that oftentimes, when a manga gets adapted into anime, the anime stops before all the material can be adapted. So sometimes, the story of the manga is much more in-depth than the anime.

Still, I generally prefer anime. (It helps that I can oftentimes buy anime all at once, usually at worst in 12/13-episode chunks; not so much with manga.)

5. What types (genres) of anime/manga do you like? I go for a wide variety of shows, but I have found that there is a type of show that I consider "my type" of show, though I often go for shows beyond that type. That type seems to involve relatively down-to-earth settings, perhaps with fantasy elements without huge overarching plots and stories more driven by the characters; good comedy elements are also helpful. That said, I do enjoy a good variety of anime.

6. When watching anime, do you prefer dubs (English voices) or subs (Japanese voices with English subtitles)? I'm generally more of a subs person; I like hearing the original voices and some of the elements of the Japanese language that oftentimes gets missed in translation. Sometimes I prefer dubs--more likely if the show takes place in the US.

7. What anime and manga are you watching/reading right now? What do you think of it? Okay, here is where I get to plug a variety of shows that are airing right now, both in Japan and streaming here courtesy of Crunchyroll; they have new episodes uploaded every week.

First off is Humanity Has Declined, in which a "mediator" and the fairies that she works with that have overtaken the earth (due to humanity nearly dying out) get into all sorts of crazy adventures. And by "crazy", I really mean crazy. This show is an amazing combination of sheer insanity with a bit of social satire, and it is brilliant. It's also quite random, so again, not for those who can't handle high levels of randomness.

Kokoro Connect is a story about a group of high school students and the events that unfold starting with a strange phenomenon that has them randomly swapping bodies with each other. Despite the obvious comedy hijinks that normally ensue from such a setup, the show actually explores some of the more dramatic parts of the premise, and how the switching causes the group to learn more about each other and what they go through. Overall, it's a character-driven series that can be quite interesting.

Tari Tari is another character-driven series, this time without any fantasy elements and focused on a group of students that decide to form a chorus club. Again, a lot of this show is driven by the characters, their pasts, and what they go through thanks to the chorus club.

For something dealing more with adults, there's Natsuyuki Rendevous. In this show: man falls in love with flower shop owner, starts working for her, then finds out that he can see her dead husband's ghost. Despite the seemingly wacky concept, the show itself is more dramatic, showing how a widow tries to deal with the death of her husband, and how it affects the young man trying to win her heart.

Moyashimon Returns is the second season of Moyashimon, and it's about students at an agricultural college, focusing on one boy who can see microbes. Which look awfully cute. Lots of craziness, and you also get to learn a good amount of microbiology.

And finally, there's Sword Art Online. It's about an MMORPG powered by virtual reality technology, except revival is forbidden, you can't log out until the final boss is beaten, and if you die in-game, you die in real life. The show chronicles the story of one solo player determined to beat the game. Overall, it's entertaining and intriguing, though it'll probably appeal most to MMORPG fans.

8. Have you ever been to an anime convention? What was it like? Did you cosplay? (If not, would you consider it?) Which character did you do (or would you do)? I have been to conventions, and it's definitely fun. Haven't cosplayed yet, and I don't know who I'd want to dress up as if I did...

stardf29
Moderator Emeritus
I'm on a goat.

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Aug 09, 2012 2:46 am

Lots of variety. Anime and manga cover many genres, topics and themes rarely explored in Western animation, let alone Western live action TV/movies. Often have long moments of meditative silence or long scenes of nature etc. to set the scene and the mood. They know how to make the most ordinary thing/moment seem epic (sorry for using this word) and extraordinary. I love the philosophical and psychological depth some series have.

I'd seen a bit of Sailor Moon on TV at my neighbour's house back in primary school and then later some Pokemon and Digimon. I saw some of Dragon Ball Z too but thought it was terribly long-winded and silly (but that was the Western edited version). My real interest in anime and manga only spiked when I was about 15 and I was given several issues of The New Kindaichi Case Files (a murder mystery manga) by a Japanese exchange teacher who my family befriended and whom stayed at our place. I had never read manga before that time and had seen only a little anime. He also gave me Studio Ghibli's Spirited Away movie (which I loved!). I think my first (complete) anime TV series was Last Exile, then Noir. And it just grew from there.

Anime:
Azumanga Daioh, Baccano!, Ergo Proxy, Future Boy Conan, Kaiba, Last Exile, Nadia: The Secret of the Blue Water (besides the horrible filler episodes), RahXephon, Serial Experiments Lain. All of the Studio Ghibli movies bar Pom Poko and Tales of Earthsea. Paprika (not Ghibli) is a great anime alternative to Inception (I love both movies for different reasons).
Manga:
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Fullmetal Alchemist, The New Kindaichi Case Files, Monster.

Anime for the colours and animation, manga for the depth of story and the generally more compact and refined approach (none to very little filler, unlike anime).

Mystery, fantasy, sci-fi, philosophical, thrillers - psychological and other. Some comedy (not the sexual, immature kind).

It depends. Some anime are poorly dubbed, others are average and few are well done or exceptional. I prefer subtitles but I can watch most anime with dubbing, especially Studio Ghibli movies.

I'm not currently watching/reading anything at the moment (anime or manga related) but I'm planning on watching the Giant Robo anime OAV soon.

No, I haven't but I would cosplay as Monad from Ergo Proxy (creepy but awesome).

9. Series that started out Awesome but became something less?
I watched a a paranormal thriller TV series called Ghost Hound which started off very promisingly but at the half-way point totally changed it's original focus and went with a more pedestrian and therefore less interesting story. Has anyone seen this one?
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby CSLewisNarnia » Aug 09, 2012 9:40 am

Hello :)
Well, last-last night, and last-last-last night ;)), I saw The Secret World of Arrietty .
This was the first Ghibli that I saw with the original (Japanese) audio. I liked it. The voices, tones, and emotion really added to the characters. It can be a really irritating experience seeing a movie when certain characters' voices just do not match with them or (especially in animated feature) they sound all "Haha, this is a cartoon movie! So we'll talk in a cartoon-like way." :| This was not like that at all! The subtitles and a different audio did not take away from the movie. They added an authenticity to it that I enjoyed.
If there is one thing that Ghibli always gets down it is definitely the art in the movie. Most of their movies that I've seen, I wasn't so crazy about plot or anything, but the art was really good. The animation was flawless (and to a budding animator like myself, I can only sit wide-eyed and hope to do it that way someday :P ). The colors were wonderful! The settings were gorgeous. Everything blended together so beautifully. They captured the Borrowers' relationship to humans and humans' stuff very well, you could feel the weight and texture, of things we use everyday, in a different light. Really great artwork.
I know some people loved the music, and some didn't. I liked it. The flute used in different parts of the scores was really nice! Cecile Corbel's voice was pretty good as well. The setting's great feel was aided by the music.
All this said, there was something that did not lean towards my liking--some morality. That took away from the movie for me.

-CSLN
Icon by me. Sister: Aslanisthebest
Every time I think of a quote or witty comment to put here, the quote is not so spectacular and the comment is not so witty.
CSLewisNarnia
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Meltintalle » Aug 09, 2012 10:20 am

I don't have any super deep reason, it's mostly that I admire the detailed art involved. I do like W4J's answer about the significance of the ordinary that some series display... But I wouldn't have thought about it if he hadn't mentioned it. :)

I started with picking up random mangas at the library. I doubt any of them are super popular but one of the first was a fantasy story called Real/Fake Princess and it was lovely and bittersweet. Another one I enjoyed was Dragon Voice which I shallowly picked up because of the title and even when I discovered it was about a boy band it was still interesting

My favourite anime is FullMetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. It's also the only one I've watched all the way through. I started the original FullMetal Alchemist but I'm only up to episode 12. For manga... maybe Otoyomegatari.

4. Do you prefer anime or manga? Why? Manga. It's easier to pause and admire something without losing the flow of the story.

5. What types (genres) of anime/manga do you like? Fantasy/historical? I'm pretty clueless. :p

Subs all the way! It's probably a combination of liking what I heard first and associating it with the characters, but I found the dub for FMA: Brotherhood felt like they picked voice types (young whiny boy, strong male character etc.) instead of giving the characters something a little more unique

The most recent manga I picked up is Crimson Hero which is about a volleyball club and the lives of the kids involved

8. Have you ever been to an anime convention? What was it like? Did you cosplay? (If not, would you consider it?) Which character did you do (or would you do)? No. But I would consider cosplaying, possibly as Riza Hawkeye from FullMetal Alchemist.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby stargazer » Aug 18, 2012 8:13 pm

Nice intro post, stardf!

I don't mind watching animated television despite my advanced age ( ;) ) - not only Western animation but also anime. So often the settings, artwork, and animation are quite impressive, as others have noted. They are very pretty to watch - and the plots can be complex enough to keep my interest.

I've seen some anime - Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle come to mind, not to mention anime-influenced series like Avatar: The Last Airbender - but I credit our own stardf with introducing me to following a full anime series via Fruits Basket.

Since then I've also caught some Fullmetal Alchemist and Naruto.

So often the settings, artwork, and animation are quite impressive, as others have noted. They are very pretty to watch.

It depends. ;)) Usually, I prefer subs; it seems closer to the original. And I've gotten used to reading subtitles in Western movies and shows. Still, at times I can get so involved reading the subtitles that I can't pay full attention to the picture, so there are times I use dubs too. If both options are available and I have the time and interest, I sometimes try both to see which I prefer for that individual anime.

I've never been to a convention and doubt I would cosplay; too introverted I guess.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Fire Fairy » Aug 19, 2012 1:44 am

You know what? I'm not exactly sure. I think I really liked the unique stories and situations, and I love learning about a different culture (I've learned a lot of Japanese from watching anime). I kind of went through a period of two years where I was severely addicted to it :ymblushing: and have just gotten over it, so I'm not exactly sure why I like it. Most of it is that I like a really good, really well-written story, and there are quite a few gems I found in the wide expanse of anime I watched.

Hmm, I'd say the very first anime I watched was Hayao Miyazaki's Howl's Moving Castle in my art class in my senior year of high school. We watched it for the artwork, and had to watch it over a two-day period because the class period wasn't long enough. The first day I went home and found it online and watched the rest. I didn't get into the TV shows until later, though, when I was on Narniaweb and saw somebody else's siggy and asked them about it (I don't remember who). They told me it was from a show called Detective Conan. I checked it out, and I was hooked. I don't remember the name of the first manga I ever read, but I remember that it was a fantasy. I saw it in my high school's library and picked it up, and the rest is history. I haven't been able to find it anywhere else (that is, in any of the county libraries), which is why I can't remember the name.

Anime TV
Baccano! (amazing storyline, but I'll never watch it again. It's the bloodiest thing I've ever seen, so fair warning x_x )
Avatar: the Last Airbender(technically not anime, since it's American-made, but the story is so deep and so well-done it deserves a place with the best :ymapplause: )
The Legend of Korra (naturally...)
Seirei no Moribito (aka Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit) (You can watch it subbed via Crunchyroll)
Death Note
Jyu Oh Sei
Detective Conan (it gets a little formulaic after a while, but I love mystery/thriller/suspense :-ss )
Last Exile
Last Exile: Fam of the Silver Wing (not nearly as brilliant as the first season, but still good)
Ghost Hunt (all but one episode, because it's too bloody, but I know what happens, so I skip it)

Anime Movies
Howl's Moving Castle
Anything by Hayao Miyazaki. Enough said.

Manga
Skip Beat!
Fruits Basket

Probably anime, but that's probably because it's easier to access (my library never has the first volume of a series. It's quite annoying). Plus, I love hearing the Japanese language and learning by absorption. You don't get that with manga. :)

Mostly fantasy, sci-fi, and mystery, but really, anything that has a complex, original storyline with very few, if any, fillers.

When I first started out I preferred dubs, but watching Detective Conan changed all that, since only the first 130 episodes were dubbed. Now I've watched so many subs that dubs annoy me (especially since the dubbing actors hardly ever do a good job. And they use the same actors over and over again, too). Plus, I've learned a lot of Japanese from watching subs and paying attention to how certain phrases are translated into English.
When it comes to Studio Ghibli, however, it depends on the movie. Disney did a magnificent job dubbing the Ghibli films, so some movies like Howl's Moving Castle are much better dubbed (Billy Crystal makes the perfect Calcifer. And I love Christian Bale as Howl). Others, like My Neighbor Totoro, are just as delightful in either English or Japanese. (And then there's Castle in the Sky, which you have to watch in English because the subs on the DVD are merely a transcript of the English script and not a direct translation of the Japanese. Gives me a headache @-) ).

I'm rewatching Death Note right now. I'm afraid to watch anything new right now, because I'm afraid I'll get out of control like I did when I was addicted to it (I'm not kidding. My addiction was very, very real and very much a problem). Besides, I really enjoy going back and watching some of my favorites. Death Note, to an English major like me, is amazing. It's a wonderful Macbeth-like story that tells of how an ordinary high school student becomes a mass serial killer. He has a major God-complex, and I love the intellectual battles between him and L, the brilliant high school detective set on catching him. Truly a work of art.
*Ahem* Anyways, the manga I'm currently reading is called The Adventures of Young Det (it's actually a manwha, from Korea, but that's beside the point). It's a fantasy that's kind of interesting, but a little slow. I'm also rereading Skip Beat! for the simple reason that I love it.

Never have, probably never will. If I did ever cosplay, I would probably go as Korra or some other Avatar character. But I'm not one for dressing up in costumes, so I highly doubt it. (Besides, I've never liked associating with the superfan crowd. I get passionate, but not that passionate).
Member of the Dragon Lovers Club. PM FrecklefaceJill to join.

Avy & Sig by Ithilwen--thank you!
Fire Fairy
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stardf29 » Sep 01, 2012 6:47 pm

Posting about a show I just finished that I would whole-heartedly recommend...

Usagi Drop (a.k.a. Bunny Drop) is a show about the 30-year-old office worker and single man Daikichi when he ends up having to take care of his relative, the six-year-old Rin. The show has a very laid-back feel to it as it shows how Daikichi responds to the challenge of sudden parenthood, as well as how Rin herself goes through all of it. It's certainly no action-packed adventure or drama-ridden soap opera, but it's definitely something to look at if you want a nice heart-warming story.

stardf29
Moderator Emeritus
I'm on a goat.

Postby johobbit » Sep 15, 2012 4:52 pm

Please note that this Special Feature will be closing on Friday, September 21.

And a reminder that if you have a request for a Special Feature (topics that are related to a single author, book, or series), don't wait 'til spring, PM your friendly Spare Oom moderators ... now! :D
johobbit