The Road Goes Ever On and On: Everything Tolkien - Book 2

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: The Road Goes Ever On and On: Everything Tolkien - Book 2

Postby Varnafinde » Apr 11, 2018 7:38 am

What most of us thought would never happen, is finally happening after all - The Fall of Gondolin will be published in August this year.
https://www.tolkiensociety.org/2018/04/the-fall-of-gondolin-to-be-published/

Edited by Christopher Tolkien and illustrated by Alan Lee, The Fall of Gondolin will follow the same format as Beren and Lúthien published last year, separating out the story so that it stands alone while showing how the narrative evolved over the years. This is the first time the tale of the Fall of Gondolin will be published as a standalone edition, collecting all versions of the story together.

I am so happy about this news!
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum

Postby johobbit » Apr 11, 2018 7:48 am

I am awfully eager for this too, Varna, and thanks for posting. :D Sorry to say that I am not a huge Beren/Lúthien fan :ymblushing: so have not yet bought that book (maybe someday), but I really love the fascinating and captivating tale of Gondolin, that great Hidden City. Definitely purchasing this when it releases!
johobbit

Postby Varnafinde » Apr 11, 2018 2:00 pm

Although I bought the Beren/Luthien book as soon as it arrived in Norwegian bookshops (in English, I don't think they will translate it), I have only started reading it and read perhaps a fifth of it (or less). I will finish it some time - but now it's possible that I read The Fall of Gondolin first ...

In my fanfiction universe, Varnafindë's father was a little boy who lost his parents when Gondolin fell. Friends of the family took him on and made sure that he escaped from the burning city with the group of people led by the Elvenking's daughter (and her human husband), who had dug a secret tunnel in case it might needed for just such a disaster.

So Gondolin is "my" city more than the other ancient Elven cities ... :)
Varnafinde

Postby Valiant_Nymph » May 09, 2018 5:56 pm

How do people feel about the new Middle Earth TV series that has been proposed by Amazon? I'm both excited and worried, because I'm unsure exactly what source they are drawing on. :-s
Valiant_Nymph
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Varnafinde » May 10, 2018 6:28 pm

For my own part I feel confused, because just like you I'm unsure what source they could be drawing on.

It's very much a question of rights to use sources - is this something going under the same set of rights that Tolkien sold in his lifetime and which eventually allowed Peter Jackson's movies, or has there been some newer sale of rights? Nobody has mentioned such a sale, so I guess we're still talking about the old rights, which means that only what's in LotR (including the Appendices) and the Hobbit can be used, and anything from Silmarillion will be off limit.

So I wonder what they can do.
Varnafinde

Postby Valiant_Nymph » May 11, 2018 11:32 am

Varnafinde wrote:For my own part I feel confused, because just like you I'm unsure what source they could be drawing on.

It's very much a question of rights to use sources - is this something going under the same set of rights that Tolkien sold in his lifetime and which eventually allowed Peter Jackson's movies, or has there been some newer sale of rights? Nobody has mentioned such a sale, so I guess we're still talking about the old rights, which means that only what's in LotR (including the Appendices) and the Hobbit can be used, and anything from Silmarillion will be off limit.

So I wonder what they can do.

Yes, it just seems like they will expand on the appendices. But that makes me nervous. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I hope it turns out well!
Valiant_Nymph
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby johobbit » Jun 29, 2018 1:01 pm

Varna wrote:So Gondolin is "my" city more than the other ancient Elven cities ... :)

That is very cool!

I had a fun, unexpected Tolkien moment today as I was walking out of the grocery store. Near the entrance, they always have a nice display of cloth bags with various seasonal designs, which are quite lovely. This morning, one especially caught my eye ... it is a mountain scene with a beautiful moose in the foreground, but the caption was "Not all those who wander are lost". Not usually being impulsive in buying, I immediately purchased it ($3).
;))

:D
johobbit

Postby stargazer » Jun 29, 2018 10:15 pm

That's great, Jo. :)

(I first read 'moose' as 'moon' and thought that would be neat as well, though the moon in the foreground would be unusual).
"The eclipse will melt your spine!'

- Overheard in a telephone pictionary game, August 2017
stargazer

Previous