This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Pottermore!

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Pottermore!

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Apr 13, 2012 10:48 am

"Dear NarniaWebber, we are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry."

Well. . . the closest thing to it at least ;)

Welcome to the Pottermore thread! After months and months of waiting, the newest (and perhaps most interactive) Harry Potter experience is just around the bend.

For those of you who are not familliar with the Harry Potter universe, we have a Harry Potter thread (that has long since gone into dormancy). You can find this thread (and perhaps revive it) by clicking here. Of course, the best way to get a little bit of insight about the Harry Potter universe, is to go to the primary source - the seven beautifully written novels that adorn almost everybody's bookshelf.

Pottermore is an extension of the Harry Potter books, and will provide an interactive Harry Potter experience to all members. The site was first announced back in 2011, when J.K. Rowling (the author of the series) announced that she was planning on using the site to give her readers access to all of the notes she'd collected over the history of the series. An initial launch date of October 2011 was announced. One million people were selected for beta-testing prior to October, and apparently their input revealed several "holes" in the Pottermore experience. Although most of their feedback was very positive, it was decided that Pottermore's release date would be moved into the future (for an undetermined amount of time) while the site moved to an entirely different platform.

Days turned into weeks, which turned into months before, in late March of 2012, it was announced that Pottermore would be released to the general public in early April.

So with that, we turn it over to you! What are you looking forward to most about Pottermore? Into which house do you hope that the sorting hat places you? What do you think your wand will be like? What aspects of the game do you hope are there, and what aspects do you hope are not? The possibilities for discussion are endless! So, without further ado, I shall repeat (and slightly modify ;) ) the words of the most famous headmaster of Hogwarts. "Before we begin our banquet forum discussion, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Oddment! Blubber! Tweak! Thank you."

Draco Dormien Nunquam Titillandus!
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Re: Pottermore!

Postby shastastwin » Apr 13, 2012 5:20 pm

I am most looking forward to having extra information about the books and to being sorted and given a wand. I expect I'll be sorted into Ravenclaw or Gryffindor. There's an outside chance I'll be in Hufflepuff, but I doubt it.

As for my wand, I have a feeling that the wood will be somewhat determined by the Celtic wood calendar that Rowling had posted on her website (before its recent renovation). If that's so, I'll likely be disappointed. The wood associated with my birthday was not one of my favorite woods. I would prefer hawthorn, holly or elm. I don't really have any preferences about the rest of the description.
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
Inexhaustible Inspiration
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby Ithilwen » Apr 13, 2012 5:44 pm

What will users do on the site? And how familiar do you have to be with the books to participate? (I haven't read them yet.)

Is there an advantage to joining right away? Would waiting until one has read the books mean missing out or getting left behind in certain activities, etc.?

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby shastastwin » Apr 13, 2012 6:36 pm

Ithi, I think that there are games and forums connected to the site. Users will also have the option to upload fan art (the Pottermore Insider has been posting a selection for each chapter so far). I think a certain level of familiarity would help. Since the site isn't open to everyone yet, I can't say for sure though. It might be fun to read through the books as you experience the site. At any rate, you shouldn't need to read more than the first book before joining.
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby Bookwyrm » Apr 14, 2012 3:10 am

Sorted into Slytherin! YAAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!! Fear me, Hufflepuffs and Gryffindors and Ravenclaws!
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby IloveFauns » Apr 14, 2012 3:23 am

I just joined up and I am waiting for my email. I hate all the numbers at the end of the usernames, but oh well.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Apr 14, 2012 6:15 am

Yeah, I just joined as well! I can't say that I'm exactly pleased with my username (I'd love it if it weren't for all of the numbers), but I can understand why they did it.

If there is some sort or "friend invite" tab, my Pottermore username is PatronusWizard17572

I'm still waiting for my email to arrive (I've gotten the first email. . . it's the second that I'm waiting for.)

I really really hope to be placed into Ravenclaw. One of the features that I'm really hoping for, is that we have some say in which house we are placed. That's the way it works in the book. . . and I sincerely hope that the developers didn't overlook this in Pottermore. If not Ravenclaw, maybe Hufflepuff.

Eli, do you have a link to this "wand calendar?" I've never heard of such a thing, and I'd be interested to see it.

At any rate, the adventure has begun!

*Is not even remotely surprised that Booky has found himself in Slytherin*
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby shastastwin » Apr 14, 2012 7:11 am

I"m also waiting for my second e-mail, DiGs. My username is MugwumpHawthorn31245, for those interested.

DiGs, I tried to find the calendar last night, but that page of Rowling's website was dismantled. I'll try to find another copy.

This page seems to have the same dates as the one Rowling had.

This one also has those dates in the info column of the table.

My wood according to that system would be hazel. :P

(About how long should I expect to wait for my second e-mail?)
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Apr 14, 2012 7:14 am

And mine would be Ash. . . I'd like to make my "Pottermore Wand," but ash is a very hard wood. . . I don't think it'd be too easy to do without a lathe. I just made a GORGEOUS vine wand two days ago, and I am in love with it. Here's hoping that wand-woods don't follow with that calendar.
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby The Jedi Clone » Apr 14, 2012 11:16 am

*Grins* I according to that article on the wands, would have a Rowan wand, good for defensive spells. Also, known fact that no Dark Wizard or Witch has ever had a Rowan wand. :D
RL Sister to Melian Maia
Adopted Sister to Weirdo and Gildor_Inglorien
The Jedi Clone
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Apr 14, 2012 11:28 am

Wand Wood Spoiler:

harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Wand_wood

This article on the Harry Potter Wiki has several woods listed as "Mentioned (Pottermore)." It's my opinion that these woods will be used for making wands on the site. This would mean that the wands of the Pottermore Universe will not necessarily follow the above linked calendars precisely

As some of you know, I carve wands by hand as a hobby. If you'd be interested in having your pottermore wand carved for you, shoot me a PM and we can discuss details ;). I live in the middle of the woods, and so I have access to a wide variety of trees, and while I can't guarantee every wand type. . . I can at least guarantee something ;)
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby Miss Rosario » Apr 14, 2012 11:42 am

I'm still waiting for my email. I wasn't at all pleased with the username options they gave me.... each one had something to do with walnuts except for one. ;)) I ended up as ChestnutCloak25359.

As for the sorting, I really hope to be placed in either Gryffindor or Ravenclaw. :)
Icon by fireworks123
NW little sister to Windsong
NW twin to Rosie

"I don't run away from a challenge because I am afraid. Instead, I run toward it because the only way to escape fear is to trample it beneath your feet." -Nadia Comaneci
Miss Rosario
NarniaWeb Fanatic
Wandering Welcomer

Postby Melian_Maia » Apr 14, 2012 11:44 am

According to that calendar, my wand would be made out of Elder wood. ;))

Still waiting for my email and hoping to be sorted into either Gryffindor or Slytherin. My username is CrimsonWolfsbane4180. :)
Draco Dormien Nunquam Titillandus
Minion to Lady A and Booky ⎮ NW sister to Ela, Mountie, and Rose.
Braintriplet to Narnia_Fan12 and narnianerd
Team Hoodie! Secret Order of the Swoosh
Melian_Maia
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Bookwyrm » Apr 14, 2012 4:46 pm

My username is StoneSickle20581.

I've already played through far enough to get my wand from Ollivander's. It's a 14.5 inch fir hard fir wand with a phoenix feather core.
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Apr 14, 2012 5:03 pm

Booky, can you give any details (in a spoiler box of course) about how one goes about getting sorted, and how one goes about getting a wand?
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby IloveFauns » Apr 14, 2012 5:15 pm

lol I still haven't received my second email and it has been 12 hours.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Next