This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Pottermore!

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Pottermore!

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » May 17, 2012 6:57 am

Did everybody else get an email from Pottermore a few days ago? Apparently CoS is very close to being released!

What's everybody hoping to see (or find out) in CoS?
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby shastastwin » May 17, 2012 7:20 am

daughter of the King wrote:Something struck me as rather odd when practicing potions the other day: whatever happened to "There will be no foolish wand-waving in this class"? :p

I hadn't thought of that, dot, but it is very ironic, isnt it?

DiGs, I don't think I received an email from Pottermore about CoS. The last email I remember getting was reminding me to register. ;)) I think that was a leftover from my signing up for updates before the public opening.

I would love to see some more of Moaning Myrtle's story and probably some more about Hagrid and Professor Sprout. We had I think three character bios expanded or introduced in PS: Ollivander, Quirrell, and McGonagall. Since we also got a lot of Wand information in this book, I'd like to see something for Potions, the Sword of Gryffindor, and other magical objects from the book. More information on Fawkes would also be nice, as would more information regarding the Basilisk, Aragog and the Diary. I'd like to see more character profiles, particularly for the students and professors. Having a history for Lucius Malfoy, Cornelius Fudge, etc. would be nice. Maybe a profile for Tom the barman?

As I check Pottermore now, I notice that it says we can now read excerpts from the books in the library. :D
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
Inexhaustible Inspiration
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » May 17, 2012 7:25 am

I'm kind of hoping for a new quiz of some sort. . . but I'd have no idea what it would be. I really want to find out what my Patronus and Animagus would be, but that probably won't be until book three for the patronus. There may not even be a "what is your animagus" quiz.

I'm hoping for some background info on Gilderoy Lockheart (aka, why the heck did Dumbledore hire that daft shoebrush ;)) ).
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby shastastwin » May 17, 2012 7:42 am

A Patronus quiz would likely be in the third book. However, I have heard people say that you ought to be able to switch Houses since the Sorting Hat takes your choice into account and since Harry questions the Hat's decision perhaps that will be an option? Maybe there will be more classes that you can actively participate in, like Herbology or Charms?

I've gone through the chapters and bookmarked the books with information now. I like to have that stuff handy. ;))

I had completely forgotten about Gilderoy Lockhart (no idea how I could do that) in all of my rambling above. Definitely we should have a thorough history of his life. Am I the only one who finds it interesting to see the wand and House of the characters revealed?
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » May 18, 2012 6:33 am

Eli wrote:Am I the only one who finds it interesting to see the wand and House of the characters revealed?

Um. . . no. . . ;)). I think that's one of the more interesting facts about Pottermore.

I think that's interesting about possibly changing houses. I don't know why anybody would want too ;)). Did you get a choice between two houses at the end of the sorting ceremony? The sorting hat asked me if I'd rather be in Ravenclaw or Slytherin. I'd rather switch wands than switch houses. I think it goes against the spirit of the books not to be able to choose at least some aspect of your wand. I know that the wand chooses the wizard, but if a wizard resists a wand. . . . well. . . I don't know. Do you think that a wizard's opinion concerning their wand has any validity?
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby shastastwin » May 18, 2012 6:42 am

Regarding your spoiler, DiGs:
No, I was placed directly in Ravenclaw. I guess it does take you choice into account after all, but only if you're on the very edge between two Houses. I guess I'm not as much of a Gryffindor as I thought. ;))

I agree that the chance to change wands should come in at some point. Several characters have to change wands because of mishaps and such, so I imagine that there will be some sort of option for that eventually, perhaps in either book two/three (when Ron gets a new wand) or book five/six (when Neville does). (The first book in each of those pairings is when the first wand is broken, and the second is when we know the character has a new wand.)
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » May 18, 2012 6:53 am

Regarding the Spoiler Convo:
And to think that I came close to being a. . . . . . Slytherin! *shudders* That sorting hat must have a seam loose!

I don't think that we'll get much of a chance to change wands. After all, the story follows Harry's journey, and his wand doesn't get broken until book seven while on the run. . . and I don't think he could just waltz down to Olivander's and get another one ;)).
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby Kate » May 22, 2012 1:53 am

Apparently that's a hat stall.

So...I joined. My name's GalleonFeather20407 (a bit similar to Booky's name with the money/natural object combo). I got my wand (I'm not in the ebony club: Red Oak, Unicorn Core, 13 3/4 in, Quite Flexible). And surprise of all surprises, I was sorted into Ravenclaw. I was expecting Hufflepuff, but Ravenclaw's actually kind of accurate. I think intelligence is rubbish as a means for distinguishing value, so there's my Puff side, but my personality is better with the Claws. I'm intrigued that so many of us are in what I'll call the "darker houses." I've always considered Ravenclaws to be more similar to Slytherin. Who knew that so many of us were brainy?

So, anyone think that Hufflepuff will ever catch up?
When will we have a house cup winner?
What would you do to make Pottermore more interesting?
Kate
Moderator Emeritus
DJ Mod

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » May 22, 2012 4:36 am

Kate! It's wonderful to see you 'round here again!

I'll send you an invite. I'm PatronusWizard17572.

I've never considered Ravenclaw's to be similar to Slytherin. . . but I think I can see where you are coming from.

I'm guessing that the Hufflepuffs will never catch up, and that we won't have a house cup winner for a LONG time.
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby Menelve » May 22, 2012 8:42 pm

Yay! Another person joined! I accepted your invite, btw.

I know what you mean about the houses, Kate. Slytherin and Ravenclaw are kinda cold in disposition/friendliness while Gryffindor and Hufflepuff are what I'd call the warm houses. (I always point to the scene in book 7 where students decide whether or not to stay behind in hogwarts and fight. Gryffindor has the most stay behind, then Hufflepuff, then Ravenclaw with no Slytherins remaining.)

~Anna
Menelve
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » May 23, 2012 5:24 am

What spells do you guys use in Wizard Dueling? Do you use the same ones, or do you try out different ones?
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby shastastwin » May 23, 2012 6:07 am

Menelve, that's pretty much the way I have thought of them, but it makes sense if you think about the Houses being associated with the four classic elements (which probably entered Rowling's mind at some point, though I doubt it was a major development point).

Gryffindor: Fire
Hufflepuff: Earth
Ravenclaw: Air
Slytherin: Water

It would be pretty interesting to see what sort of things one might pick up on in the books with this interpretive strategy.

DiGs, I tend to use Petrificus Totalus because it's consistently the highest-scoring spell I have used in the duels.
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » May 23, 2012 6:17 am

Eli wrote:Gryffindor: Fire
Hufflepuff: Earth
Ravenclaw: Air
Slytherin: Water

It would be pretty interesting to see what sort of things one might pick up on in the books with this interpretive strategy.

Well you wouldn't find out too much about earth or air because of the book bias ;)).
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby Princess Anna » May 24, 2012 4:55 pm

First off, welcome to the ranks, Kate! :D (feel free to add me, if you wish!)

Kate wrote:Who knew that so many of us were brainy?

I don't know if it's so much "brainy" as a combination of brainy and eccentric. :p
I'm actually not that surprised about the amount of Nwebbers that are 'Claws.

Digsy wrote:What spells do you guys use in Wizard Dueling? Do you use the same ones, or do you try out different ones?

Yes. :p

I guess it's more like...
when I'm practicing, all of them are game
when I'm dueling, I stick to the same few (mainly Petrificus Totalus, because it gives you more points if you win)

As for all this talk about Ravenclaw being "cold" or "less friendly" or "like Slytherin"... what?! I never saw it like that! :-o

Ok, I figure you guys would like to see the statistics.
(and none of these are counting my RL friends that are on pottermore)

Number of Nwebbers per house
Ravenclaw: 7 (including me)
Gryffindor: 3
Hufflepuff: 1
Slytherin: 3

Number of Nwebbers with an ebony wand- 4 (all of which have a unicorn core)

If you want more info, feel free to ask me! :)
Princess Anna
Moderator Emeritus
the Resident Troublemaker

Postby Kate » May 26, 2012 8:51 am

Dueling is really frustrating because everyone just uses the full-body bind because it's the spell with the highest point value. Strangely enough, it's also one of the easiest, which makes no sense. As much as I'd like to try out the jelly legs or "mimble wimble," they just don't have the point clout that "Petrificus Totalus" does. So dueling is super boring.
Kate
Moderator Emeritus
DJ Mod

Postby narnian1 » Jun 09, 2012 11:58 am

DiGoRyKiRkE wrote:Did everybody else get an email from Pottermore a few days ago? Apparently CoS is very close to being released!

What's everybody hoping to see (or find out) in CoS?

So glad it's finally coming out. It's been WAY too long of a wait. I've lost interest in the site because of it. One can do SS/PS only so many times... But I guess I can redo it again to 'prepare'. I want to learn more about the houses, and the chamber.

I loved the stuff on Minverva for SS/PS. My favorite by far.
(I'm Slytherin btw :( )
narnian1
NarniaWeb Guru

PreviousNext