This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Pottermore!

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Pottermore!

Postby Miss Rosario » Apr 25, 2012 7:06 am

Well, this is a surprise. I got sorted into Gryffindor. I was hoping for Ravenclaw, but ah well. ;)) *high-fives Lia*

My wand is Ebony with Unicorn core, eleven inches, unyielding.
Icon by fireworks123
NW little sister to Windsong
NW twin to Rosie

"I don't run away from a challenge because I am afraid. Instead, I run toward it because the only way to escape fear is to trample it beneath your feet." -Nadia Comaneci
Miss Rosario
NarniaWeb Fanatic
Wandering Welcomer

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Apr 26, 2012 5:51 am

Seriously, Miss R? Another Ebony wand with unicorn hair? This has to be a NarniaWeb thing! That makes four of us I think!
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby IloveFauns » Apr 26, 2012 6:21 am

Indeed me you, rose and menelve. And there is quit a largish list of woods on hp wiki and all are available on pottermore(i believe).
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Menelve » Apr 26, 2012 10:17 pm

The whole list of wand woods on Pottermore and their descriptions is very interesting. I am surprised that so many people are getting the same type of wand. But long live the ebony wandusers! :D

~Anna
Menelve
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » May 04, 2012 7:13 pm

Well, I finished the Pottermore content tonight. I must say that for all of the hype I'd heard about this site I was immensely underwhelmed.

Perhaps the best content I found was the backstory on Professor McGonagall, which I found absolutely amusing! I also enjoyed the content on wand woods and wand cores very much. Of course, getting an official wand, and being sorted were both very exciting.

I found the interface to be very confusing, and it wasn't until tonight that I learned that you could "zoom in" by merely pushing the up arrow key. Until that, I was just clicking in random places trying to get the screen to zoom in. This led to MANY frustrations. A simple "user's guide" would have been very helpful.

I would LOVE to see more things added to the Pottermore shop. From what I've seen all of the wands are very similar in design, and therefore, I think it'd be nice if you could order your wand from them (rather than trying to make your own). I'd also like to see some stuff you can buy from your house (house scarves, banners, robes, etc....)

At any rate, I am looking forward to Chamber of Secrets. . . perhaps I'll enjoy it more now that I know what I'm in for.

Overall, I think that the online platform would have worked MUCH better as some sort of MMORPG or video game. . . but I digress.
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby shastastwin » May 05, 2012 5:50 am

DiGs, I have to agree. When the site was first announced, I imagined something like what was done for the book Search for Wondla by Tony DiTerlizzi. When you reached certain points in the book, you could hold the page up to your webcam and the book's website would give you information and a map of the journey so far based on the illustration you showed it. While not necessarily requiring a webcam, I figured Pottermore would be more like that, giving the reader a LOT more background information.

That said, getting the wand and House information was cool, and the background info on McGonagall and Olivander, not to mention the wand woods, cores, and lengths/flexibility information has been great. I also enjoyed reading the Dursleys' love story. ;)) I hope that CoS releases soon, because otherwise I think the site might die. It's just not interesting enough for me to keep going back. :(

A couple of links for everyone:
House Letters for all four Houses
Alivan's Wandmakers

The first is a group on Facebook that has Notes which include the text of the welcome letters for each House. This is where we learn that Merlin was a Slytherin (o_O) and I will never see Merlin the same again. THe second link is to Alivan's. They are a wandmaker's shop, but they also sell House memorabilia. I have a Ravenclaw House pin from there, and it's very good quality. I have yet to order a wand because they are a bit pricey but their wands are made of actual wood and most of the wands sold at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Orlando that I've seen have been made of resin ( :ymsick: ).
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
Inexhaustible Inspiration
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby ChristProclamer » May 07, 2012 2:17 pm

Well, I'm a bit late about here, but I too have joined Pottermore. I'm only up to chapter 8, and taking it slow through the story.

My username is BladeRose9945, of Ravenclaw. I was sure I'd be in Slytherin, but Ravenclaw was always sort of my hoped-for house. And I got it!

Wand: Maple and Dragon heartstring, 12 and a half inches, surprisingly swishy. Getting my wand and exploring Diagon Alley were much more fun than I had expected.

Has anyone been able to figure out what the wand length means exactly? It was vaguely alluded to in the wand wood note that the longer the wand, the bigger or better the personality, but it wasn't really concrete about that. 12 inches seems to be the average length. And also, what does it mean that a wand is swishy or unyielding? Does that demonstrate the wandbearer's level of stubbornness/strength?

All in all, the site isn't a HUGE bunch of fun, but it is entertaining enough for me. I love getting to 'see' and interact with places like Diagon Alley. And not only because of what I'm finding (though the shopping and the extra information are great). It's because of what I haven't seen--All those locked buildings in Diagon Alley are intriguing...I wonder what year we get to go into Knockturn Alley? I also wonder how the game will change when we get to Deathly Hallows. Will we, the 'students' keep going to school, or will we go camping with the Trio?

Off to brew me some potions...
ChristProclamer
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Princess Anna » May 07, 2012 3:27 pm

ChristProclamer wrote:My username is BladeRose9945, of Ravenclaw. I was sure I'd be in Slytherin, but Ravenclaw was always sort of my hoped-for house. And I got it!

Hello there, housemate! :)
I sent you a friend request, hope that's alright. Anyway, I think taking it slow is smart. Lots of us rushed through and are kind of bored at times. Stretch it out as long as you can bear to, is my advice. But dueling and potions are fun.

As for wands, I couldn't say. But it seems you have some pretty good guesses. Don't know what else to say right now, but I guess I'll see you in the common room! If you like, I could pm you some tips too. ;))
Princess Anna
Moderator Emeritus
the Resident Troublemaker

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » May 07, 2012 3:36 pm

Welcome to Ravenclaw, ChristProclaimer! I'm sure you'll fit in well with all of us.

I agree with you that the Diagon Alley section was perhaps the most fun part of the Pottermore experience thus far!
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby daughter of the King » May 08, 2012 4:07 pm

I finally caved and signed up. Username is OwlWillow3691.

No idea how much time I'll spend with it, but I'm being a good little communications student and keeping up with the online trends so I suppose I could call it educational. ;))
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » May 08, 2012 4:18 pm

Welcome aboard Dot! I've sent you a friend request!
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby Gymfan15 » May 08, 2012 6:13 pm

Question for you all.

How much time do you have to spend/how long does it take to get to the point in the game where you get sorted? I don't read HP; only have a working knowledge of the stories but I'm curious to see what House I'd get into if I were into that sort of thing. ;) Plus I know next to nothing about HP stuff so I wouldn't be able to subconsciously rig the quiz. ;) But anyway, if it takes too long to get to that point or too much energy/whatever, I'm not going to bother.
Gymfan15
Moderator Emeritus
Giver of Prestigious NarniaWeb Taglines™

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » May 08, 2012 6:15 pm

Gymmie, with a fast internet connection and a lackluster approach, you could probably make it to the sorting ceremony in a half hour or so ;)). And the questions on the quiz have absolutely nothing to do with Harry Potter. Somebody without the slightest working knowledge could take it just fine.
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby daughter of the King » May 08, 2012 7:22 pm

*is a Ravenclaw* When I first started I really had no idea other than I was pretty sure I wouldn't wind up in Gryffindor. Then, while shopping in Diagon Alley, I got annoyed when the only books available to be purchased were the textbooks. :p That seemed to be a pretty strong indication. ;))

My wand is maple with a unicorn core, 10 3/4 inches, rigid.

Potions are hard, and I can't seem to get the hang of spells, but other than that I am enjoying the new information. There was no where near enough history on the Wizarding World in the books (I should have known I was a 'Claw when I was reading! Silly me).
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » May 08, 2012 7:52 pm

Yay! I'm glad that we can still be friends fellow Ravenclaw! *bows humbly and shakes hand* I hope to see you around the common room!
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby daughter of the King » May 10, 2012 6:58 am

Something struck me as rather odd when practicing potions the other day: whatever happened to "There will be no foolish wand-waving in this class"? :p
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

PreviousNext