This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Pottermore!

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Pottermore!

Postby Bookwyrm » Apr 15, 2012 8:40 pm

I was kind of underwhelmed by the chapter stuff too. The potion-brewing and wizard duels are fun though. Still, I was expecting a ton more info from Rowling. So far only the new stuff about McGonagall and the info on wands has been really interesting.
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby Menelve » Apr 15, 2012 8:43 pm

My wand's ebony too! Unicorn core, 10" and unyielding. :) Go ebony people! :D

Mim, you wave your wand by clicking on it. And it's located behind the potion standard ingredients. Took me a while to find it too.

~Anna
Menelve
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby IloveFauns » Apr 15, 2012 10:11 pm

I just completed book 1. I thought all the books would be available now but I guess not. I think they should of made the key harder to find and the snitch harder to catch but I liked the potion riddle one.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby shastastwin » Apr 16, 2012 4:41 am

I'm still not sorted yet. It was a busy weekend. I did manage to get my wand. Dogwood with Dragon heartstring, 12 3/4", slightly springy. I was surprised to get this, because I wouldn't have chosen this wood or core for myself and another test I took had radically different results. I was wondering if at some point there will be an option to replace your wand as Ron and Neville did.

IloveFauns, I think the idea is to add a new book periodically. The home page says the first book is available, so I wasn't expecting more than that. I imagine the books will have more to them once they get further in.
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
Inexhaustible Inspiration
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Apr 16, 2012 6:18 am

Yay for all the Ebony people! Maybe it's a NarniaWeb thing ;)). I've looked up ebony wands already made online, and they are not cheap. Close to 70 bucks (plus shipping!). I'm in the wrong business ;)). I think it's so expensive, because it has to be imported (it only grows in Africa and Southern Asia I think).

You can by foot long lathe blanks of ebony online for about 10 bucks. . . Dad and I are considering getting a lathe since I've been consistently gaining more and more interest in woodworking. I might go that route.

Eli wrote:Dogwood with Dragon heartstring, 12 3/4", slightly springy

Now that is a wood that we do have around here (and it was actually the wood for which I was hoping, because I've never worked with it before, and was interested in the challenge). Dogwood definitely seems to fit your personality. I remember the Wand Wood section saying that it would choose a light-hearted practical-jokester kind of person ;)).
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby shastastwin » Apr 16, 2012 6:44 am

Maybe we can work on a dogwood wand at the Moot, DiGs. :) It would match the oak one I have well, I think. ;) I would love to eventually be able to have a hawthorn wand. Hawthorn has a special place in my heart because of its connections to the Merlin myths.

I tried out potion making. It took me three tries to get the practice run completed. I think I'll be attempting some more later, now I've got the hang of it. I'm looking forward to dueling soon.

(Oh, and I have been sorted into Ravenclaw. No surprise there. :P )
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Apr 16, 2012 7:11 am

Eli wrote:(Oh, and I have been sorted into Ravenclaw. No surprise there.)

Any suggestions on how to get me in? Like I said, if Harry can choose Gryffindoor, certainly I can should be allowed to choose Ravenclaw ;))

And working on a wand at the moot sounds like fun! Perhaps all the mods who come can make their own! I know that Hawthorn bushes do grow in Ohio. I'll see if I can find a good Hawthorn tree in our woods the next time I go hiking (which will probably be today or tomorrow).

EDIT: I MADE IT INTO RAVENCLAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *dances uncontrollably*
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby Menelve » Apr 16, 2012 9:42 am

Congrats to you Ravenclaws! Actually, that was the original house I was aiming for. But, in hindsight, I, um, shot myself in the foot with several sorting questions. lol

Alright, for those who wish for "cheats" or instructions, here are a few links I found useful.

Chocolate frog card location list: http://tweeting.com/the-11-chocolate-frog-card-locations-revealed-in-pottermore-spoiler

How to cast spells: http://tweeting.com/how-do-you-cast-spells-in-pottermore

And the most useful:

Instructions for potion making: http://dejiki.com/2011/08/brewing-potions-in-pottermore/

And the location list of 11 free ingredients in the game: http://tweeting.com/where-are-the-hidden-potion-ingredients-in-pottermore

I suppose it's a mark of truly being a Slytherin for me to even have thought of googling those things to see what info was out there. lol

Personally, for dueling vs. potions, I like the former better. It doesn't take as long nor does it cost money. (The potion how-to link includes potion brewing times which start around 40 min per potion. :-o ) So, I'm up for dueling whenever. If you can beat me. ;)

~Anna
Menelve
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby IloveFauns » Apr 16, 2012 6:16 pm

At least we get to wear an awsome green in slytherin.

@SHASTA I should really read stuff but i don't bother most of the time.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Melian_Maia » Apr 20, 2012 10:34 am

I suppose I should post here again and let everyone know what happened with my sorting. I kinda forgot since I posted it on Facebook. ;))

I was sorted into Gryffindor and my wand is English Oak with Unicorn core, fourteen and a half inches, supple.

I haven't really had much time to play on Pottermore this week, but hopefully that will change soon. :)
Draco Dormien Nunquam Titillandus
Minion to Lady A and Booky ⎮ NW sister to Ela, Mountie, and Rose.
Braintriplet to Narnia_Fan12 and narnianerd
Team Hoodie! Secret Order of the Swoosh
Melian_Maia
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Apr 20, 2012 12:14 pm

Melian_Maia wrote:I haven't really had much time to play on Pottermore this week, but hopefully that will change soon.

Same here. I just got up to potion brewing and had a little trouble. So rather than take a little time and deal with it, I'm putting it off ;))
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby IloveFauns » Apr 20, 2012 5:58 pm

After i found out where the wand was it was all good. Those other potions taking 40 minuets or more to brew is annoying, I bought a copper one so it would take less time but even than the potions have to brew for ages.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby shastastwin » Apr 21, 2012 4:56 pm

I only have a touch pad for my mouse, so Potions are a bit of a hassle for me. I try to avoid them for the most part. Wizard duels are much more fun for me.

I have a friend request from HeartSpirit30821. Is this anyone on here? I haven't been able to figure out who this is, and I don't really want to add people I don't know. :)

(Also, I now have both a hawthorn wand and an oak wand in real life. :D)
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby greenleaf23 » Apr 21, 2012 7:44 pm

I agree about the potions- waiting 40 minutes or more is a pain, and then I usually end up doing something wrong anyway. 8-|

I was a beta tester, so I went through everything a few months ago. I heard they added sound though, so I'm kind of excited to go through again and see it anything's different. I was sorted into Gryffindor, my name is Snitchspirit170, and my wand is holly, 12 and 3/4, dragon heartstring core, rigid. All the info they have about the wand woods and cores is really interesting, as is McGonagall's back story. I can't wait for the next books; there are so many great secondary characters who's histories would be so interesting to learn!
Avi by Visionsbeyond/Awesome sig by Flambeau! NW Sis:Jay
LiveJournal (not really too terribly empty anymore :P)
Team Hoodie!!
greenleaf23
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Miss Rosario » Apr 22, 2012 9:06 am

I waited four or five days for my email and it never came, so I made a new account (and did end up receiving both emails). My username is CastleWatch3969 now. I haven't even started doing anything on the site yet - I've been far too busy with school, but I'm hoping that will change soon. I'd like to look around, and am especially curious as to what house I'll be sorted into. :)

Icon by fireworks123
NW little sister to Windsong
NW twin to Rosie

"I don't run away from a challenge because I am afraid. Instead, I run toward it because the only way to escape fear is to trample it beneath your feet." -Nadia Comaneci
Miss Rosario
NarniaWeb Fanatic
Wandering Welcomer

Postby Princess Anna » Apr 24, 2012 4:10 pm

Just thought you all would like to know I joined last night, before I got offline. ;))

It's been really interesting seeing the new details. I think that's my favourite part. (that and diagon alley and the sorting) Two questions:
1) how long does it generally take to master the practice potion? I kept goofing it up for some reason... so I skipped that for now. (to go back for more tries later)
2) how on earth are we supposed to catch the snitch?! catching that thing is proving even more difficult for me than the practice potion! :((

Oh, right. Anyway... for all inquiring minds, here is my info:
username: DawnThestral26743 (I don't remember all the choices, but I do know that was the first option. and that I liked the sound of it better than the others)
wand: Sycamore with Phoenix Feather Core, Twelve and a half inches, surprisingly swishy
house: Ravenclaw

I don't know if that surprised me or not. I mean, almost every online quiz I've ever taken puts me in Hufflepuff. But in all honesty I would have been happy with any of them... well, except maybe Slytherin. But even that one could have been interesting... I mean it's Merlin's house! (don't know if that needs a spoiler or not, but just in case ;) ) I seriously am curious about the info on each house though. I mean, in the books we're biased toward Gryffindor 'cause it's Harry's house and the books are through his eyes. But anyway, I get to wear blue... and I love that colour. So, I'm happy. :)

Feel free to add me on there, if you wish!

Edit/updates:
I've sent you all friend requests!
Oh, and I caught the snitch AND have finished book one.

But I do have the same problem as stwin (touchpad on laptop), and that makes it hard to stir the potions. Anybody have any tips on how to do this? I'm getting frustrated. (and want to be able to actually make potions, without losing house points)
Princess Anna
Moderator Emeritus
the Resident Troublemaker

PreviousNext