This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Comical Discussions - Web and Newspaper Comics

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Comical Discussions - Web and Newspaper Comics

Postby Arwenel » Sep 30, 2009 6:21 pm

Whenever i got my hands on a newspaper, the first thing i would look for was the comics section. I never read them regularly, but i've enjoyed Foxtrot, Pearls Before Swine, Hagar the Horrible, Mutts, Zits and various others at various times.

Nowadays, however, burgeoning comic authors also have the Internet as a venue; one can use photos as well as drawn images. Several are very, very popular, with all sorts of references in popular culture.

This is a thread for the discussion of your favorite newspaper and webcomics - old favorites and new discoveries, what characters you like best, anything at all.

Just be advised -- by their very nature, webcomics do not have to be held to the same standard as ones that appear in newspapers. Some include content that younger people shouldn't see, some include stuff that nobody should see.

Also - some comics are more plot-based than others. Please use spoiler boxes when discussing plot twists.

Discuss!

As i mentioned before, i have never had a chance to follow many newspaper comics regularly, but i read several webcomics regularly --

Irregular Webcomic: updates daily, featuring episodes of various random and quirky story-lines, such as space adventurers, Roman senators, an Australian crocodile hunter who bears a lot of resemblance to Steve Irwin, pirates, and others.
Darths and Droids: DM of the Rings for Star Wars. If that means nothing to you, imagine if you will that Star Wars was an original story written by a group of roleplayers instead of a series of movies. Started with Phantom Menace, they are now about halfway through Attack of the Clones.
Order of the Stick: The adventures of a number of characters in a world that follows the law of roleplaying game Dungeons and Dragons; more plot-based than the other two.
(Warning: OOTS is usually clean, but it does use some bad language, and some comics include a good bit of suggestive content. Definitely a PG-13 comic. Also includes magical and polytheistic content.)
Digger: A wombat gets lost tunneling, finds herself in a totally unfamiliar part of the world, and gets caught up in the lives and problems of the people she meets.
(Warning: Not particularly violent, but it does include magic, gods, and lately has dealt with some very serious, sad topics.)
xkcd: The (in)famous comic of science, romance and other nerdy stuff.
(Warning: Can include some very seriously adult content.)
I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind
Some come from above, some come from behind
But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see
Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!
~ Dr. Seuss
Arwenel
NarniaWeb Guru
"We Mistborn need not make sense." (BC)

Re: Comical Discussions - Web and Newspaper Comics

Postby Queen Susan » Sep 30, 2009 6:40 pm

Other then some of the comics on the Sunday paper we get- :ymblushing: - I usually just pic up Garfield or Calvin and Hobbes (My favorite!!) for a quick read when I don't have much else to do. :) (Which is sometimes rare. I can't remember the last time I sat down to read it...)

On the discussion of Calvin and Hobbes: I love almost all the characters. ;)) Hobbes makes me laugh a lot, and.. well, they're all so funny. =))
Queen Susan
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Whistling Welcomer

Postby Valiant_Lucy » Sep 30, 2009 7:01 pm

Hm, well I looove Calvin & Hobbes, and Foxtrot. They can always make me laugh. :D
I've read a bit of xkcd, but I'm afraid I don't always "get" them. :ymblushing:
"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." Marilyn Monroe
Valiant_Lucy
Moderator Emeritus
The IMAR&NB mod

Postby Silvertongue » Oct 01, 2009 5:39 am

My favorite comics are: Calvin & Hobbes, Foxtrot, Pearls Before Swine, and Zits. :D C&H is hilarious! :D
Image Image Image
Silvertongue
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby wisewoman » Oct 01, 2009 6:26 am

I'm not familiar with webcomics, and I look forward to finding out more about them :)

But just a reminder, this is a family-friendly forum. Please keep everything in this thread at or below a PG rating. We've got younger members and members who would prefer not to read anything above that. I recommend skipping the inappropriate comics entirely for the purposes of this forum. Thanks! :)
"It is God who gives happiness; for he is the true wealth of men's souls." — Augustine
wisewoman
Moderator Emeritus
The Moddess of Sentence Surgery

Postby FencerforJesus » Oct 01, 2009 7:37 am

Calvin and Hobbes was my favorite comic growing up. Every character had their own quirks that were downright hilarious. My family still has several books of Calvin and Hobbes collections.

I also loved Farside and Close to Home.

But don't read the comics anymore. I don't get a paper and I don't go on-line to read them (though I do all of my news surfing on-line).
Be watching for the release of my spiritual warfare novel under a new title: "Call to Arms" by OakTara Publishing. A sequel (title TBD) will shortly follow.
FencerforJesus
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby The Old Maid » Oct 01, 2009 9:01 am

Well, for fans of Batman & family there's the Batman: Dark Knight Adventures, created by student (mostly college) reporters and illustrators from the World's Finest affiliate of Toon Zone. The intended audience for "DKA" is older teen and adult.

A particularly good webcomic called Mom's Cancer has been converted into book form. It's a true story and won the first Eisner Award (created for online comics). Like the posters on this thread, the author-illustrator is a fan of Calvin and Hobbes' Bill Watterson, so you may see similarities in Fies' drawing style playing out on a more serious subject.
It's back! My humongous [technical term] study of What's behind "Left Behind" and random other stuff.

The Upper Room | Sponsor a child | Genealogy of Jesus | Same TOM of Toon Zone
The Old Maid
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby IloveFauns » Oct 01, 2009 4:49 pm

For me. I only read futurama and simpsons comics.I buy the futurama ones monthly.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby ramagut » Oct 04, 2009 4:42 pm

I get the webcomic Sheldon on a daily basis! It is so funny!! Squee! :D
ramagut
Moderator Emeritus
Mumsie Mod

Postby Erucenindë » Oct 05, 2009 5:14 am

My favorite of all times is Pearls Before Swine. It's almost a guarantee that I will laugh! Rat is hilarious! :))

I also love Calvin and Hobbes!

I've read both online before.
My Graphics Site
Council of Elrond - Best LOTR forum
Aliit ori'shya tal'din. ~ Mandolorian Proverb
Auta i lóme; Aurë entuluva. ~ Quenya
Erucenindë
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Shadowlander » Oct 06, 2009 5:14 pm

The only two comics I ever really loved were the aforementioned Calvin & Hobbes and The Far Side. I've got a couple of the C&H treasuries and I tell you now that no other comic on Earth has almost made me rupture a spleen from laughing so hard. It was a sad, sad day when Bill Watterson decided to retire. Too soon. For my money it doesn't get any better than when Calvin turns into alter-ego Tracer Bullet, noir detective. But the Stupendous Man episodes are great as well. Great strip!

The Far Side is a close second. I don't bother reading the comics section of the paper anymore, at least not since they got rid of those two. Garfield does nothing for me and Family Circus is about as funny as watching paint dry, but to each his/her own. B-)
Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby wisewoman » Oct 09, 2009 1:32 pm

I love The Far Side. We used to get the books out of the library and pore over them ;)). I think I inherited that sense of humor from my father...
"It is God who gives happiness; for he is the true wealth of men's souls." — Augustine
wisewoman
Moderator Emeritus
The Moddess of Sentence Surgery