This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Acting and Live Theatre.

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Acting and Live Theatre.

Postby Princess Anna » Sep 29, 2010 12:21 pm

Faun_Song612 wrote:Oh my gosh, that post made me SO happy! Your love of theatre is so contagious and joyful!

I can't comment on everything, but it sounds amazing and wonderful and fun and I'm so jealous-in-a-good-way! :D And it's so wonderful and sweet when people help you out!

I'm so glad it made you happy! :D
I just wish you could be here, to either 1) be in it with me or 2) see it.
You'd love it, I just know it. (You might even wanna come more than once. that way, you could see it once, and then another night sit backstage... cause we all know the real fun happens back there. hehe)

I think we covered the tech week (and it's other names) thing over the phone, so I'll let that go for now. ;)

Re my foot:
It's feeling better than Sunday, but I'm still moving very slowly. And it still hurts. I swear, it'll be like this til the show's over. (that's knowing my luck. haha!)

And references to a current show = pathetic and silly, perhaps, but totally awesome. :)

I know, right?! :D

EDIT - Oh, I forgot, I wanted to say: those little "love notes" of appreciation from your cast family are just wonderful, aren't they? :) Theatre people seem to be possessed of ALL the different love languages (can't remember all of them at the moment :P ) but I especially love being TOLD I'm appreciated. Whether it's face-to-face, handwritten or on Facebook (handwritten is a huge bonus :D ) they are so special and encouraging.

Yep, being told you're appreciated gives you the BEST feeling! :) And I totally agree with you about that whole paragraph!

sandyentersNarnia- Wow, 5 or 7 years old?! Lucky you, and how special a memory! :D I wish I coulda started that early! (I did two in high school, and the rest have been since I've been in my twenties)

If you were to choose your own musical Princess Anna, what would it be?

Do you mean, "what are your dream roles"? Gosh, there are so many I don't know if I could list them all! ;)) I can try and list some of them, though...

Belle (in Beauty and the Beast)
Jo or Beth (in Little Women; the musical version, to be specific. but just doing the normal play would be fun too)
Elphaba or Galinda (in Wicked)
Nancy or Bet (in Oliver!)

And those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. I know there are many more. I also know there are some roles I would LOVE to do, but never could. (because I'm either too old, or because they are boy parts)

Welcome to Narniaweb (and the theatre thread), Elanor! :D
You get to be in Little Women?! EEEPPPP!!!!! I'm SO jealous! Amy's a good role, though I'd prefer to be one of the two I listed already. Be sure to keep us updated. I wish I could come see it...

As for me:
I'm excited, cause I get to go back to the playhouse tonight!!! I can barely sit still, and for the first time since sunday (unless you count my phone call with dear Fauny), I am smiling. Two day breaks don't agree with me. =))

Pick-up rehearsal here I come, YIPEE!!!!!!! (basically that means we'll be going over the show to make sure we didn't forget everything over our two days off)

The only low point, is knowing that marks the halfway point... that it's *gasp* almost done. If these past two days were this rough... I don't wanna know what it's going to be like when it's actually over. Sadness...

and for inquiring minds: yep, the avvy is me from opening night. the sig is made using my most fave pic from the show. (the one of my "corner kids")
Princess Anna
Moderator Emeritus
the Resident Troublemaker

Postby daughter of the King » Sep 29, 2010 12:58 pm

sandyentersNarnia wrote:We're doing now a musical play of Sound of Music. I hope I get the part of Liesl.

Break a leg! Sound of Music is my Mom's favorite movie and I have always wanted to play Liesel. I probably never will though, I'm getting kind of old for the part (although at White Christmas auditions they asked me how old I was and when I told them they said "No way! I was sure you couldn't be more than 15! *sigh*).

Sounds like Oliver has been lots of fun, PA! I love hearing backstage stories. Hope your foot is all better before the next performance! And you look so pretty in your costume!

Amy is such a great role, Elanor. I have never seen the musical, but I really want to.

Nothing happening here. I don't know which I'm more excited about: VDT or Oklahoma auditions! But I have to wait till December for both. *sigh*
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby Elanor » Sep 29, 2010 1:31 pm

Princess Anna wrote
You get to be in Little Women?! EEEPPPP!!!!! I'm SO jealous! Amy's a good role, though I'd prefer to be one of the two I listed already. Be sure to keep us updated. I wish I could come see it...

I know, it's amazing!!!! I'd enjoy to sometime be Beth of Jo, but I'm happy with Amy. I'll keep you updated for certain!
I wish you could come too!!
NW sisters Lyn, Lia, and Rose
RL sister Destined_to_Reign
Member of the Tenth Avenue North and Pixar Club
Dubbed The Ally Of Epic Awesomeness by Libby
Elanor
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Princess Anna » Sep 29, 2010 11:08 pm

Gosh, I fear I may be taking over this thread! (but honestly, where else can I get away with going on so, about it... and not get groaned at?)

Dot wrote:Sounds like Oliver has been lots of fun, PA! I love hearing backstage stories. Hope your foot is all better before the next performance! And you look so pretty in your costume!

Aren't backstage stories just the best?! I'll try and tell ya more... if I can remember them. Things (funny, sweet, etc) are always constantly happening. So, it's hard to keep track of them all.

I don't think it'll be better, but we can pray that I can get by with as little pain as possible. (or that I can have enough strength and determination to push through it)

Aww, thanks!! :ymblushing: You can only see a little bit of it in the avvy. Once the show is completely over, and all pictures from it are where they should be, I promise to either 1) post the link in here or 2) let you know, so those interested in seeing them could tell me... and I'd pm them to you. (I would share them now, but we still have four more nights worth of pics to come! what's the point of showing a halfway full album?!)

Poor dear, having to wait that long! Hopefully hearing about ours, will help you deal with the wait. (rather than make it worse. I'd feel bad if I made you feel worse!) :ymhug:

Elanor, I did see that you wrote back... I just don't know how to respond. But don't think I'm skipping over you! :ymhug:

*****will edit with info on the pick-up rehearsal soon**********
Princess Anna
Moderator Emeritus

Postby sandyentersNarnia » Sep 30, 2010 2:29 am

daughter of the king: Really?? My mom too! She was the one who influenced me with Julie Andrews! :). So how many plays have you done?

Princess Anna: Well, I kinda stop attending workshops when I finished my one year there. I was kind of lazy back then, but now I regret doing so. :( Well, good for you on your returning in the playhouse! :).

"Two sides of the same coin"
sandyentersNarnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Elanor » Sep 30, 2010 9:17 am

It's highly annoying that when I'm practicing my line's with my brother in my room, I go through them perfectly. And when I'm there on stage - I made lots of mistakes, things that I've never had trouble's with.
There are two scenes I'm worried about. One that I'm having that ^ trouble with, and one that I haven't gone through yet, but I'm sure I'll have the same problem.
But at least I still have more than a month!!

Just thought I'd post that little tirade. :) Hows life?
Elanor
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Faun_Song612 » Sep 30, 2010 10:40 am

It's highly annoying that when I'm practicing my line's with my brother in my room, I go through them perfectly. And when I'm there on stage - I made lots of mistakes, things that I've never had trouble's with.

I hate that! :( During Sound of Music, I had all of my lines really good in rehearsals, but when I did my first dress rehearsal, we jumped straight into act two and I messed up every single line in the first scene. O.o I was really frustrated and not sure what was going on... it was so unlike me, and I KNEW I knew the scene. :-\ But I made up for it during Something Good - we made every teenage girl watching in the audience swoon from the adorableness of it. ;) Heeheeheehee. And after that I was fine.

I think it's important to take a moment before a rehearsal or performance or scene to "center" yourself. Voice teachers talk to me about that all the time, but I'd never taken it very seriously. Adding a little prayer never hurts, too. :D

Last night were Peter Pan callbacks. I got called back for Mrs. Darling and I felt I could have done better. :( I was sad I didn't get to sing again, and I really don't know how I did on my scene... :-s Now I have to wait until Tuesday for the cast list... eek!
"She is too fond of books and it has turned her brain."

Loving NW triplet of Theophila & Booky
Faun_Song612
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Elanor » Sep 30, 2010 11:03 am

I know! I think when it's really happening it'll be fine, cause I still have a long long time. But right now, when I try to go without my script . . practice practice practice!
You played Maria in Sound of Music? How amazing!! That must be like the best role ever!! Aw . . I wish I could have seen it!!
There will definitely be a load of prayer going on before the first play!!!!! :)

I hope you get picked, make sure you let us know!!
Elanor
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Princess Anna » Sep 30, 2010 12:26 pm

Ahhh! Sorry, you guys! I honestly meant to edit my post last night. But I kept getting distracted, and then I was so tired... I fell asleep. But I promise to have this post make up for it! Hopefully I can remember it all, but if not that's ok... we'll hit the highlights. :)

sandyentersNarnia- Don't worry, it's never too late! Just because you were lazy about it then, doesn't mean you can't go back to it now. I hope everything works out! Be confident, do your best, and that's all one can really hope for. (whether or not you get cast)

Elanor wrote:It's highly annoying that when I'm practicing my line's with my brother in my room, I go through them perfectly. And when I'm there on stage - I made lots of mistakes, things that I've never had trouble's with.

Aww, poor dear! That kinda reminds me of how when practicing my piano, I would do it almost perfectly... but as soon as the teacher was standing over me.... ICK. haha!

But like you said, you have plenty of time... so don't worry. First time off book can be tricky... but I know you can do it! :)

Fauny wrote:I think it's important to take a moment before a rehearsal or performance or scene to "center" yourself. Voice teachers talk to me about that all the time, but I'd never taken it very seriously. Adding a little prayer never hurts, too. :D

Yeah, that's true. Getting focused helps. I've seen some castmates (the ones with bigger parts) going backstage earlier than they have to, just to run over their lines in their minds. (because it's quiet back there)

And yes, prayer is always the best thing to help with nerves and doing your best. :)

Oh, and sorry callbacks didn't go quite how you wanted them to. Just remember, that doesn't mean you won't be picked for that part. They know you well enough to know they can rely on you. And they obviously liked your audition enough to call you back. :) Please continue to let us know! (but I'm sure you don't need us to say "break a leg", cause I just KNOW you'll get the part. and if you don't, then I won't know what is wrong with those people :p )

How the pick-up rehearsal went:

Well, first Ms. Mary took longer than expected to come get me. (she had planned to come earlier than she normally does-she tends to run late everywhere, see. but that didn't happen) But we still had time to drop tickets off for these people from church, and rush over to the playhouse... or so I thought. Anyway, she got caught up talking with them, and we left their house later than I liked. (but we still got there in time, thank goodness!)

Anyway, I had taken my costume and stuff home on sunday... you know, to wash it and stuff. So, I was bringing it back last night. I came in to the theatre, and greeted everyone (we were all excited to see each other, as we'd missed being around each other). I set my backpack down, and then said "I should probably take this (meaning my crate full of costume stuff) downstairs, huh? It might take me awhile..." And Jordan stood up and goes, "I'll take it."

"No, I can do it. But, thanks."
"No, I'll take it."
"Alright, if you're sure..."
"Just tell me where to put it, I can't go in there." (he meant the girls' dressing room)
"Just put it outside the door, Jordan. I'll go downstairs and move it later."
"Ok!"
And off he went. ;))

Anyway, I love pick-up rehearsals! They're the time we can be goofy with it. Like, we still do all the lines, we still sing all the songs... but we can... "change" it a little bit. Things always get nutso at pick-up rehearsals. You hear the most laughter then, and all that. This one was different, in that not only did we not use costumes... but we didn't use the set pieces or props! Talk about odd!

Other random things from last night, that are worth remembering:
-Brubo pretending like he wanted us to catch him, during "Oom Pa Pa" (since Jennifer, our Bet, wasn't there)
-Three year old Elyse trying to kiss the big boys on the cheek. (I didn't see it happen. But apparently she kissed Austin. and Will kept hiding cause, "I don't want her to get ME!") =))
-getting eleven new pictures to add to my Oliver! album!!!! :D Which ties into..
-(said while coming down the stairs after "Who Will Buy") "Jordan? One of these times we should TOTALLY get a picture of this!" "We so totally should!!!"
*I realise I have my camera in my pocket. I spy Zoe at the bottom of the stairs* "Zoe!! Can you take a picture for us?!" He poses, I just concentrate on getting down the stairs without further injury. :))

How the foot held up:
-All day it had felt bad, but better than on sunday. I thought "I can do this...". Ha.
-I had trouble standing steadily during "Oom Pa Pa". I mean, I was fine(ish) when linking arms with Emmy (wincing, maybe. but did it). but otherwise... I had to keep holding my arms out to balance myself. Which leads into...
-I've been teasing Jordan, because he forgot me... I had to take MYSELF up and down the stairs for most the rehearsal. Anyway, after the fiasco which was "Oom Pa Pa", I wasn't even gonna TRY going on for "Who Will Buy" (which is usually the hardest scene for my poor foot). I was like, "I give up!"

When the kids came upstairs/backstage to get ready to go on for said song, Jordan spotted me backstage. "Oh, my gosh! I am sooo sorry! I forgot! are you ok?!" "Just go on for the song, Jordan." :p I had been annoyed at having to go on the stairs myself, but when I saw how paniced he got... I couldn't help but forgive him and laugh. I just stayed backstage and sang from back there. afterwards, he took me downstairs... and eventually, back into the theatre where our stuff was.

Other thing of note: On the way to and from the theatre, Ms. Mary and I were singing along to Amy Grant. (I hadn't done that in YEARS! and it was funny, even though it had been ages... I still remembered all the words. but hey, as a kid I had heard those cd's SO many times... I could sing them in my sleep!) Once we made it to my driveway, we just sat there and danced and sang... because we wanted to finish the song first! hahaha!

Weekend #2 begins tonight!! I'll have to let you know how it goes!

Let's leave you with this... I wanted a profile pic related to the show. And since I was always going on about my foot, and getting help... blah blah blah. When I came home, I made this. Don't you just love it?! (let me know if you can't see it... and I'll find another way to show ya)

*leaves singing "Be Back Soon!", as usual*
Princess Anna
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Susan's_look_a_like » Oct 01, 2010 7:36 pm

I've never done any professional acting, but I've been in a few dramas and skits. A lot of what I've done is dramas to music like the Lifehouse "Everything" skit. I was also casted for parts in both "A Midsummer's Night Dream" and "Robin Hood". My drama group at school and my friends and I helped organize both plays. Unfortunately both plays fell through just a few weeks before opening because the main actors dropped out. We ended up having to perform silent dramas, but they were just as fun. I've always liked to act and participate in a lot of character acting with a couple of my friends. We even did a brief drama at our graduation together. I hope to be able to participate in more plays and dramas. I even write some of my own skits and am considering getting a minor in theater productions.

Then main part of theater that I like in costume making andstage make up next to acting. It's so much fun to make costumes then see then come to life along with a character. I do a lot of costing and an just getting into wig design and special effects make up. I hope to learn prop making and stage directing as well. It's a dream of mine to be part of a traveling drama troupe and see some of my skits/plays acted out.
Like Narnia? Read Reading with the Heart: the Way into Narnia
d(^_^)b
Sig & avie: Checkers
Susan's_look_a_like
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Faun_Song612 » Oct 01, 2010 7:54 pm

Elanor - Yes. :) And I think it is one of the best roles ever... but I'm the teensiest bit biased, you know. ;) Haha!

Andrea, again, I loved reading that post! (And that is so cute and funny about Elyse. Awww :P ) I will look at your new pictures!

And thank you, I appreciate that. :) The directors do know me, and they know what I can do. And if I'm right for this part, then they'll give it to me. If not, then... God's plan is always perfect.

Susan's_look_alike - That's so cool that you're into costuming! I think that's something my sister would really excel at. She enjoys performing, but she's so creative and artistic and has such good taste (and she's quite the perfectionist) that I think she should get into theatre design, whether it be set, costumes, whatever.

Faun_Song612
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby sandyentersNarnia » Oct 02, 2010 5:44 am

Princess Anna: Thanks! :) I really regret not being consistent, but your advise helped me to move on. I really love acting. It's like it runs in my blood, and I need to keep going to make the circulation keep on running. (Hope it makes sense LOL).

"Two sides of the same coin"
sandyentersNarnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Elanor » Oct 05, 2010 8:36 am

Well, tonight I have rehearsal. It feels like years since the last one (actually Thursday) and I miss my friends. Hopefully it goes really well.
But I admit, I'm uninspired about it. I'm kinda tired of life . . . oh well.
Elanor
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Faun_Song612 » Oct 05, 2010 6:44 pm

Elanor - I know that feeling! I have a hard time going only a few days without rehearsals/theatre friends. :P What can I say? I'm addicted.

I GOT THE PART! :) :) :) I was cast as Mrs. Darling! And my Liesl from Sound of Music is Wendy, so I get to be her mother again, hahah. :D There are some things in the cast I'm a bit ... disappointed about... meh. But nonetheless, it's an oustanding cast and I'm so excited!

Faun_Song612
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Elanor » Oct 06, 2010 7:50 am

I know, acting . . . is just amazing. :) It was great seeing everyone again, and most of us went without scripts!! I excited.
That's awesome, I'm so glad for you! Sounds so fun, and I'm super glad you got the part! Make sure you keep us informed!
Elanor
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby daughter of the King » Oct 06, 2010 2:22 pm

Princess Anna wrote:Gosh, I fear I may be taking over this thread!

No you're not! We love hearing about Oliver!

Princess Anna wrote:Poor dear, having to wait that long! Hopefully hearing about ours, will help you deal with the wait. (rather than make it worse. I'd feel bad if I made you feel worse!) :ymhug:

Oh, it definitely helps. I miss being in a play so much it's nice to hear about other people's experiences. I was going to audition for more plays this year, but most of the ones they put on weren't family-friendly, and although I could have handled some of it, I don't think my parents could have. ;) Anyhow......*is already counting down the days*

sandyentersNarnia wrote:So how many plays have you done?

Not counting youth group skits or summer camps only two: A Christmas Carol, and Act Three, Scene Five. Both were amazing experiences.

Faun_Song612 wrote:I think it's important to take a moment before a rehearsal or performance or scene to "center" yourself. Voice teachers talk to me about that all the time, but I'd never taken it very seriously. Adding a little prayer never hurts, too. :D

Most definitely. Right before one of the party scenes in Christmas Carol (which was my longest scene), I almost always slipped out of the crossover hall into the wings before everyone else. It helped a lot to be able to take a few quiet moments and just relax myself. Especially because the crossover hall would get really crowded before that scene because of all the hoop skirts.

Speaking of the party scene, did I tell you guys about my epic fall during that scene? I don't remember if I did or not.

Princess Anna wrote:"No, I can do it. But, thanks."
"No, I'll take it."
"Alright, if you're sure..."
"Just tell me where to put it, I can't go in there." (he meant the girls' dressing room)
"Just put it outside the door, Jordan. I'll go downstairs and move it later."
"Ok!"
And off he went. ;))

;)) What a great guy! I don't think any of the boys in the plays I've been in would have offered to do that for me.

*reads through the rest of PA's post* Sounds like pick-up rehearsal went really well! Other than your foot. :( The bit about the little girl kissing the boys really made me laugh.

Elanor wrote:But I admit, I'm uninspired about it. I'm kinda tired of life . . . oh well.

You can do it!!!!

Faun_Song612 wrote:I GOT THE PART! :) :) :) I was cast as Mrs. Darling!

Hooray! I'm sure you will be amazing.
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

PreviousNext