This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Video games

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Video games

Postby IloveFauns » Sep 13, 2009 3:04 am

well i can't see another video game threads. Here you can disscuss video games. In the past we discussed Zelda and world of war craft a lot.

EDIT by moderator: Discussing 'mods' is fine in this topic, but please refrain from posting links. Thanks.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Re: Video games

Postby Shadowlander » Sep 13, 2009 3:34 am

But mostly Zelda. :p
Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby FencerforJesus » Sep 13, 2009 12:52 pm

I won't be doing much in the video game department this semester. I have a lot of homework among many other things. The last game I played was Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean. It's a very different kind of RPG in terms of the battle game play. But it's got impressive GC graphics and a sensational soundtrack. It's a fun game.
Be watching for the release of my spiritual warfare novel under a new title: "Call to Arms" by OakTara Publishing. A sequel (title TBD) will shortly follow.
FencerforJesus
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby IloveFauns » Sep 13, 2009 4:08 pm

I will be buy spirit tracks(zelda) when it comes out.Thats the only game i am planning on buying.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby TheGeneral » Sep 13, 2009 5:20 pm

I play Lord of the Rings Online mostly (almost every night). Also Medal of Honor allied assault and breakthrough, battlefield 2, and battlefield heroes. I used to play runescape, super mario 64, crazy taxi, midtown madness, sim theme park, and just lots of other old things I don't play anymore, but good memories ;)
TheGeneral
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Shadowlander » Sep 14, 2009 2:45 am

TheGeneral wrote:I play Lord of the Rings Online mostly (almost every night). Also Medal of Honor allied assault and breakthrough, battlefield 2, and battlefield heroes. I used to play runescape, super mario 64, crazy taxi, midtown madness, sim theme park, and just lots of other old things I don't play anymore, but good memories.

I haven't played LotR online, but it looked good and drew my attention. But I've got too much invested in World of Warcraft to just split the scene entirely.

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault was a fantastic game all the way through, but the mission that totally blew me away was the Omaha Beach landing sequence. In all of the first-person shooters I've played (which is a considerable amount) I've never had one that made me involuntarily duck in front of my monitor like that mission did, nor has one me saying out loud in an empty room at 2:00am, "C'mon boys, move forward! Go! Go! Go!" ;) . The game was released not long after Saving Private Ryan and much of the sequence mirrors the film. The submarine base mission was also well done and quite memorable. That, my friend, was a fine, outstanding game!

And Midtown Madness...wow. Even years later I'll still play this one from time to time. If I have one vehicle to pick it's the classic 1968 Mustang (one of the ones you can unlock as I recall). That rear wheel drive makes it corner like a dumptruck but the old girl has some serious get up and go! Sometimes I just put it into Free mode and drive through Chicago like a madman with 2-3 police cruisers in hot pursuit and spend half my time just trying to outwit em'. Midtown Madness 2 is even better as it includes a bunch of new vehicles, paintjobs, and lets you drive not just in San Francisco but also London.

As fast as the Panoz Roadster is, do you find it as almost uncontrollable as I do? When you're cranking out 140 mph and make the slightest turn the thing jerks right off of the road, and it has no damage capacity to boot. :-o

A small video game related news tidbit...I'm not sure if anyone here is old enough to remember the old LucasArts adventure games (Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, The Dig, Full Throttle, etc), but I read somewhere that LucasArts is remaking several of them to bring them up to modern standards and will be rereleasing them. Anyone else hear about this?

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby IloveFauns » Sep 14, 2009 3:08 am

Mario kart is one of those games that gets better every edition not worse. Zelda is sorta all over the place.Some of the later ones are better then some of the earlier ones but some of the earlier ones are better then the later.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Bartholmew » Sep 14, 2009 3:26 am

The only video game I have ever gotten into is RuneScape. I enjoy playing other games with friends but RuneScape is the only one I've played hard-core.

Any other RuneScape players out there? feel free to post would love to meet you guys in-game.

Some of my friends have wanted me to switch over to WoW but I don't plan on leaving RuneScape anytime soon and I don't think my computer could handle it.

I joined RuneScape just a little bit after I joined NarniaWeb---Back in 2007.
Pumbaa: “Anything we can do?” | Simba: “Not, unless you can change the past.” –The Lion King
Bartholmew
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby IloveFauns » Sep 14, 2009 4:07 pm

My brother joined runescape in 2003 or 2004. He played that to 2006 and then he found war craft and played that to march this year and never played again.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Bartholmew » Sep 14, 2009 6:07 pm

Did he happen to get a Christmas cracker from the holiday event? I can't quite remember which year it was from... But you could sell one of them for around 700m now.

Did your brother have reasons for quiting? Or just got tired of it?

(Sorry if I sound like a nerd to any of you... I am one :| ).

EDIT: Whoops my bad... I just did some research on it and it was the Holiday event of 2001.
Pumbaa: “Anything we can do?” | Simba: “Not, unless you can change the past.” –The Lion King
Bartholmew
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby TheGeneral » Sep 14, 2009 8:42 pm

Shadowlander wrote:
I haven't played LotR online, but it looked good and drew my attention. But I've got too much invested in World of Warcraft to just split the scene entirely.

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault was a fantastic game all the way through, but the mission that totally blew me away was the Omaha Beach landing sequence. That, my friend, was a fine, outstanding game!

And Midtown Madness...

As fast as the Panoz Roadster is, do you find it as almost uncontrollable as I do? When you're cranking out 140 mph and make the slightest turn the thing jerks right off of the road, and it has no damage capacity to boot. :-o

I know what you mean, I have a friend on WOW, and I try to get her on lotro, but I'm mostly joking cause she's been playin that forever and you can't just leave an mmo ;)
Yeah, I got really into MOH, such a well-made game. Couldn't agree more. I was on the public servers a lot, and my uncle's private server with my cousins and brother (goooood times)
And yes, I couldn't control that car for nothing LOL, that's funny. I got really worked up on the races, I spent more time just cruising :)
TheGeneral
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sep 14, 2009 8:51 pm

Midtown Madness? I've only ever played the demo but yes, some cars have terrible handling. At least the Panoz Roadster looks good though, am I right? ;)

I haven't played games in quite a while. Bioshock was good but not great, I'm 2/3rds of the way through. Certainly not worth the 10/10 many reviewers gave it. I'd maybe give the game a 7/10 and that's mainly for the art-direction and story. The game-play was a bit tired and the atmosphere suggested 'survival horror' but the weaponry and abundance of it (and lack of variety in enemies) suggested 'first person shooter'. Also some of the blood and language was overdone not because it served the story but just because they could. It's almost like the creators were saying, "SEE ALL THE BLOOD AND 'F' WORDS? THIS IS A COOL ADULT GAME? SEE?' I think it disrespects the interesting story to be so immature. Oh well.

My favourite games are the Thief stealth games, Psychonauts, the Age of Empires series (though I haven't played AoE 3) and the Worms games. All from several years ago or more but that's because I can't run current games on my computer and more importantly there are less and less innovative games out there.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby IloveFauns » Sep 15, 2009 1:46 am

Bartholmew wrote:Did he happen to get a Christmas cracker from the holiday event? I can't quite remember which year it was from... But you could sell one of them for around 700m now.

Did your brother have reasons for quiting? Or just got tired of it?

(Sorry if I sound like a nerd to any of you... I am one :| ).

EDIT: Whoops my bad... I just did some research on it and it was the Holiday event of 2001.

No my brother did get a christmas cracker

He just found warcraft and thought it was better,
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Shadowlander » Sep 15, 2009 5:20 am

W4J wrote:I haven't played games in quite a while. Bioshock was good but not great, I'm 2/3rds of the way through. Certainly not worth the 10/10 many reviewers gave it. I'd maybe give the game a 7/10 and that's mainly for the art-direction and story. The game-play was a bit tired and the atmosphere suggested 'survival horror' but the weaponry and abundance of it (and lack of variety in enemies) suggested 'first person shooter'.

I've played Bioshock all the way through several times, and while I gave it a 5 out of 5 on Amazon.com I can certainly understand your misgivings with the of the issues you list. Bioshock can be a frightening game at times, but it never really becomes a full fledged survival horror shooter like its "spiritual predecessor", System Shock 2, was. That one had me changing my drawers regularly, especially if I played it at night. ;) The art deco style was amazing, and the plot was particularly good in my opinion. And the fact that the game gives you free choices as to whether or not you wish to be "good" or "evil" is just icing on the cake. There were points in the game where I thought everything meshed together perfectly (Fort Frolic) and other parts where the scenery was...well, a little ho-hum (Apollo Square), but overall I thought it was a stellar game, and one which took Ayn Rand's philosphy and kind of turned it on its head. To be fair I think the system would have ended up working just fine if not for the advent of Adam into the society, but we'll never really know, eh? ;)

I loved how Plasmids integrated into the game, especially the Bee Swarm one (which I used a lot) and the Electrical Bolt one, which stuns enemies long enough for me to nail em' with my revolver.

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby WanderingSamuri » Sep 18, 2009 1:45 pm

Once again, I must sing the praises of the Thief series. Thief 4 is slated for I think 2011. Hopefully, it will improve on the last title, Deadly Shadows, and keep the same cast of characters and general feel.

I'm also a big Grand Theft Auto fan. About a month ago, I completed my greatest gaming achievement of my life, going coast to coast on GTA2. All 67 missions completed (counting the tutorial), without dying, failing, or getting arrested once.
WanderingSamuri
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sep 18, 2009 5:58 pm

Yes, I hope Thief 4 is great too. It better have a better title than 'Deadly Shadows' too. I mean, good grief! It's like they were trying to market it to Xbox kiddies or something. Oops. They were.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Next