This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Video games

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Video games

Postby Bookwyrm » Dec 12, 2009 12:24 am

Yep, I'm a hunter. I've noticed the same thing about monsters chasing. Seems like the only way I can get away from them is to use Desperate Flight or jump off a cliff. :-s The irritating thing about Moria is the huge distances between encampments with monsters crawling around everywhere. The last quest I worked on was finding Balin's camp. It took me over an hour to fight my way to the Second Hall and then back through the passages to the camp.
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby IloveFauns » Dec 12, 2009 2:32 am

FencerforJesus wrote:Oh, I've beating it a number of times, on both GameCube and Wii versions. I was just talking about this play through. I like the Wii controls better, but I do not like that they had to flip the entire map just to make Link 'conveniently' right handed. Link has always been left-handed and being left-handed (playing a right handed Link left handed), the controls don't throw me off.

I always have a hard time deciding which Zelda is the best. Ocarina of Time has to be in consideration at all times, because it was completely renovating to that generation of video games. It was neck and neck with Final Fantasy VII for best game of that generation and it still considered one of the best games of all time. While it may be a personal bias, but I have always liked Windwaker and Twilight Princess more that Ocarina of Time due to the final sword-to-sword showdown between Link and Ganondorf. Talk about EPIC. But that's me.

majors mask was probalay the worst, it was still good but it wasn't a good follow after the ocarinia of time(just like lww and pc). That was the worst for the big console(don't knwo the correct term). The ealier zelda hand hold ones weren't that good because of the poor small graphics.

anyway here is my top 3.

1. Ocarina of time
2. twilight princess
3. Hour Glass

for some reason i seem to use my write hand for writting and drawing(anythign using a pencil or pen) but when it comes to cricket and stuff i can use ever.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby FencerforJesus » Dec 12, 2009 7:48 am

Here my recap on all the Zelda console games.
Legend of Zelda (NES): Completely opened up a new generation of games. It was the first free style game (you could pick where you wanted to go in what order) that opened up the door to the RPG genre. It was also the first game in which you could save data without means of a password. Simple game play, yet epic for its day. Best game of that generation.
Adventures of Link (NES): Followed up with LoZ's style of game play, but added a side-scrolling mode for battles, towns, and temples. This game also introduced the use of magic and completed the three parts to the Triforce. You could talk to people in towns which became a mainstay for the series and for future RPG's. This game has some neat innovations, but as a game, it never stood up to its predecesor.

A Link to the Past (SNES): Only Zelda game for this generation. This one introduced semi-3D elements and the first real story-line to the series. This game introduced used of different sword techniques, specifically the spin attack. It also was the foundation of Link's famed weapon: the Master Sword. With 13 temples (some short, some longer) this game added new elements to temples (like ice, lases beams, water, and sand). It also was the first in which you needed each item in the temples to advance through the temple. Items were also unique and fun to use (my favorite was the Hookshot), a staple that continued through the rest of the series. Like LoZ, ALthP was a classic game that has since been re-released three times on various platforms.

Ocarina of Time (N64): Since Nintendo unleashed its 3D graphics with Mario 64, this became the most anticipated game of its time. Taking 3D graphics where they have never gone before OoT, salvaged Nintendo's competitive survival against the upstart PS1. Game play was spectacular, sword play at it best level in gaming history, addition of new races (Gorons, Zoras, Kokiri, Skeikahs, and Gerudos), and a new complete soundtrack that was epic. This game introduced sub-temples and mini-bosses. The bosses this time actually had a purpose of being there, instead of just being a boss just for the sake of being a boss. Added with the time traveling event, in which you could visit the same place a different times and have different images. The items in OoT were spectacular and actually brought use to the items. The most standout was the Mirror Shield. It wasn't just the best shield. You actually had to use it to reflect light and energy to solve puzzles and beat bosses. To this day, with what OoT did to the gaming generation, this still considered one of the top games of all time.

Majora's Mask(N64): MM was an attempt to duplicate OoT's success. Using the same graphics, MM added two new twists to the game play: the ability to change forms via masks, and you had a time limit (3 days) to complete your mission. Link had a few extra tweaks that improved his play. For example, he would do a flip when he made a leap for a ledge. As the story line departed from Hyrule and introduced a one-time villian, MM never could duplicate what OoT did. It was a good game, but like AoL was to LoZ, it never had that originality that made its predecesor so successful.

Originally released for the GB Advance, Nintendo released Four Sword Adventures for the GameCube. This was Zelda's first attempt at Multi-player. The game play and graphics were identical to ALthP, but a new item, the Roc's Feather, allowed Link to jump. This game also introduced a new villian, Vaati that would show up later in Minish Cap. The problem with Four Swords is that to play multiplayer, each player had to have thier own GameBoy Advance with extention cable. For me it worked fine on Single Player, but I would consider this one to be the weakest of the console Zelda games.

Windwaker(GameCube): Windwaker had poor initial reviews due to its cell shaded graphics that gave a toon-like appearance. I too was turned off, expecting Zelda to go with a more adult Link and style. But as people played through it, the graphics worked themselves out in what turned out to be a pretty sweet game. The one thing that turned me on was early in the game, when Link learned the parry attack. I was sold from then on. Game play let Link have spectacular sword action combinations. The use of a WindWaker to control wind and sail around the ocean was a neat new feature. New items like the Grappling Hook and Deku Leaf added for more action and puzzle solving. The music was awesome and I loved how each boss had its own tune. The story line was the best yet (yes, even more than OoT) but the best was saved for last. I felt let down when for the final showdown you fought Ganon first. In all the other games, Ganon was the final boss and the graphics in conjunction with the timing, I was bummed, until I faced Ganondorf. That duel was the most spectacular moment for me in the whole Zelda series with the best action and best musical score. As a whole, WW is a very close 3rd to OoT and Twilight Princess in the series.

OoT Master Quest(GameCube): With Ocarina of Time still so popular, Nintendo re-released OoT for the GameCube and added a new twist to it: the Master Quest. Master Quest was the same story, but all the puzzles in the dungeons got changed up. With the same maps, harder enemies, and significantly more difficult puzzles, Master Quest was designed strictly for the pros. Only one temple was easier than the original: the Water Temple which to this day is legendary in the Zelda history. This combined with the original has kept this game very high on my list.

Twlight Princess(GameCube and Wii): With the release of the Wii, TP was the most anticipate game. This had the adult Link, graphics, and gameplay that everyone was expecting WW would have. Gameplay was pretty much the same style as OoT only greatly improved. The big attraction was horseback combat and the game has three major scenes requiring you to battle on horseback. Link also is able transform into a wolf, a key part of the story line. It is the longest game of the series with the deepest story. There are a total of nine temples, not including mini-temples and spectacular action sequences. The graphics were clearly the best, as you can see iron chains turn red as it gets closer to fire. You see Link get wet when he goes swimming and stay wet a few seconds after he gets out. But there were several other things that keep TP above OoT on my scale. The items were the best collection yet. A spinner that lets you glide along walls. A ball and chain enabling massive destruction. And a twin clawshot that lets Link think he's Spider-Man. With these cool items, the bosses were the immensely fun and I can't get enough of it. This makes the replay value of TP the tops of the series. The musical score takes it even further with epic boss tunes. The scales of the battles, the world, and an ultimate four-boss-battle finale combined with the gameplay, replay value, and everything puts Twlight Princess at #1 on my list.
Be watching for the release of my spiritual warfare novel under a new title: "Call to Arms" by OakTara Publishing. A sequel (title TBD) will shortly follow.
FencerforJesus
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby IloveFauns » Dec 12, 2009 4:53 pm

The 3 day thing is what i disliked for a cuple of the later missions that took a while.

i almost forgot the minish cap

The only thing that was bad about this game was the stupid cap that would talk and talk. Also that stupid bird in the OoT.

We have completley forgot about the The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening and ocacle seasons. I played these a long time ago and can remeber nothing.

Also i never played windwalker. Wasn't the hour glass the sequal?
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby FencerforJesus » Dec 12, 2009 5:28 pm

See my post above. I edited it. The other thing I didn't mention about Twilight Princess was your sidekick, Midna, it actually a character worth getting to know. Navi and the owl in OoT were just obnoxious. The sidekicks in Zelda have only been good in WW, Phantom Hourglass, and TP. Minish Cap did have a good sub-plot for Ezlo, but he was very annoying. There are times where Midna can get annoying after several times through, but she is a very well rounded character. After seeing her development, I wonder if they will give Link a side-kick who's actually going to be evil at some point. That would be a pretty sweet twist.
Be watching for the release of my spiritual warfare novel under a new title: "Call to Arms" by OakTara Publishing. A sequel (title TBD) will shortly follow.
FencerforJesus
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby IloveFauns » Dec 12, 2009 5:33 pm

Yeah that would be awsome. I can remember i use to try and bypass the owl. It never worked though. At least when you turn into adult link you don't have to put up with him anymore.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby FencerforJesus » Dec 13, 2009 8:46 pm

I'm now two temples through Zelda: Spirit Tracks for DS. The game play and style is almost identical to that of Phantom Hourglass. It follows the same story line as Windwaker and PH two generations later (little obnoxious Niko is now a old man for those that know him from these two games). Graphics are also almost identical. But two things I have noticed that have greatly improved are the puzzles (they are fun and somewhat challenging in a few places) and the soundtrack is pretty sweet. It isn't epic persay, but I definately like much better than PH at this point. If it keeps up, I expect it to be my favorite portable Zelda game. But my battery is now low so I will charge my DS overnight and go at it again tomorrow.
FencerforJesus
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Shadowlander » Dec 14, 2009 1:52 am

Fencer wrote:Legend of Zelda (NES): Completely opened up a new generation of games. It was the first free style game (you could pick where you wanted to go in what order) that opened up the door to the RPG genre.

Well, yes and no. It has been probably...*thinks as hard as he can*...perhaps 15-20 years since the original Zelda was on my TV screen, but while you could explore all you wanted you kind of had to do the dungeons in a certain sequence because you needed items from early dungeons to access or explore later dungeons. What I mean is you couldn't just run off and do dungeon #8 until you'd done some earlier one in which it gave you a certain device which would allow you to go in to dungeon #8. The game was nicely scaleable in that way and I loved it. :D I do remember that once you finished the game you could play a somewhat harder version with scrambled up areas and that the dungeons would have specific letter shapes, for instance dungeons 1-5 spelled out ZELDA. :)

Fencer wrote:Adventures of Link (NES): Followed up with LoZ's style of game play, but added a side-scrolling mode for battles, towns, and temples. This game also introduced the use of magic and completed the three parts to the Triforce. You could talk to people in towns which became a mainstay for the series and for future RPG's. This game has some neat innovations, but as a game, it never stood up to its predecesor.

I didn't like the game at first but it does grow on you after a bit. One element it had that I'm kind of surprised you didn't mention (being a fencer!) was that you could do a little swordplay, with special moves being needed to take down certain monsters (I found the jumping downthrust move to be the most useful overall). It's an underrated game but I'll definitely agree with you that it never really surpassed its predecessor.

Fencer wrote:A Link to the Past (SNES): Only Zelda game for this generation. This one introduced semi-3D elements and the first real story-line to the series. This game introduced used of different sword techniques, specifically the spin attack. It also was the foundation of Link's famed weapon: the Master Sword. With 13 temples (some short, some longer) this game added new elements to temples (like ice, lases beams, water, and sand). It also was the first in which you needed each item in the temples to advance through the temple. Items were also unique and fun to use (my favorite was the Hookshot), a staple that continued through the rest of the series. Like LoZ, ALthP was a classic game that has since been re-released three times on various platforms.

ALttP was a very good game and, like you said, the only one they ever released on the Super Nintendo system (the last Nintendo home system I ever owned). It was a vast improvement over its two predecessors and I played it a couple of weeks until I finished it. Actually somewhere in a box in my house I have a VHS tape of the ending 20 minutes of it because at the time I was kind of experimenting with recording video games. I might have to go dig that up :D . As good as it was it simply paled in comparison to the Final Fantasy games for that platform, FF2 and FF3, which were both far more Epic in storyline and much more immersive as RPG's. So good was FF2 that it remains my favorite of the Final Fantasy series.

Fencer wrote:Ocarina of Time (N64): Since Nintendo unleashed its 3D graphics with Mario 64, this became the most anticipated game of its time. Taking 3D graphics where they have never gone before OoT, salvaged Nintendo's competitive survival against the upstart PS1.

Eh...this is where we'll start to disagree here, my friend. This game was just not my cup of tea. I don't know if I was too into the "top down" perspective of Zelda games or if it was Link's "grunting hamster" noises but this one just didn't tickle my fancy at all. I didn't own the N64 (by then Nintendo was really diverging from the other two platforms and attained its "kiddie game" image with less serious games available overall) but my brother did and I always felt the best game for the platform was Goldeneye with its multiplayer mayhem. ;)) In fact if you put a fully functional N64 in front of me with a pile of games in front of it I'd probably still begin by looking for Goldeneye. B-) The PS One was, in my humble opinion, the better of the two platforms. PS One was able to put a lot more graphical power into their games and it resulted in games like FF7 (probably the finest iteration of that series ever produced), the Mortal Kombat games, and the fantastic Tomb Raider titles. There was, to my understanding, some fiasco by which Nintendo didn't want to leave the cartridge format despite CD's being able to deliver far higher quality and sound effects (not to mention much longer game lengths) and it ultimately was responsible for their losing the Final Fantasy titles, a decision I'm sure Nintendo still regrets very much as that was on of their bedrock game producers for several years. And you couldn't have pulled off a game like FF7 or FF8 on the N64. By then I was playing more PC games anyways, so I only ever had maybe 15 titles total for PS One anyway. ;))
Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby IloveFauns » Dec 14, 2009 3:15 am

I am afriad i am on FFJ side as you may of already of guessed. For one the oCarinia o time was voted one of the best games of all time. The only game that beats it on some lists is the original mario game. I know that doesn't mean everyone likes it. also I hated the play station one, i didn't enjoy the game characters half as much as the 64 nintendo characters. The only better thing was the controllers life span. I have always had something againist playstation until the psp released then i found them good but nintendo and xbox beats them any day.

I don't think i can rant on anymore.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby FencerforJesus » Dec 14, 2009 8:25 am

I will say that graphics and game length alone don't make a game. Nintendo does have a lot more kiddie games than PS and XBox have, but Nintendo still views themselves as more gaming platforms while PS and XBox try to draw everyone by doing everything. I've always found that Nintendo as a whole has always had a better completel collection of games than PS and XBox have had. PS and XBox do have a few standout games, (such as FF, Halo, and perhaps Fable) but most of the other games are just same style, different renditions. For example, I can't see much difference between Halo, Modern Warfare, Doom, and all the other first person shooters on those systems other than setting and creatures. The fighter games (Mortal Combat, Soul Caliber) ect are all pretty much the same as well, only with slightly better graphics as the generations go on.

Nintendo on the other hand has a history of not only making thier repeat games unique, but also having a greater collection of unique games. Each time they release a new Zelda game, it's clearly not the same as the previous one (even when comparing Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time). Game play might be similar, but there are enough tweaks to the gameplay that makes it standout. I like Nintendo better because they have thier focus on gaming and not everything else, in which vision can be lost.

So while N64 could never compare with PS1 in terms of graphics or game length (ie compare FFVII to Zelda: OoT), Zelda still matched FFVII as those two were neck and neck in nearly every poll not only for best game of the year (released at the same time) but also still high on the list for best games of all time. Those two series are my favorites, not just due to graphics and game play, but controlability, musical scores, epic moments, and a very high replay value. I don't like games regardless of graphics that are beat one-time and that's all you need from it. I like ones you can play over and over again without it getting old. Zelda and Final Fantasy have that element: an element not many other games have.
FencerforJesus
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Shadowlander » Dec 14, 2009 12:44 pm

Fencer wrote:I will say that graphics and game length alone don't make a game.

Ha! See, I never said that! =)) The bottom line is a game should be fun regardless of its graphics, but if you have Really Fun Game #1 with improved graphics and game length and Really Fun Game #2 without, chances are most people are going to want to play Really Fun Game #1. I mean if graphics makes little to no difference in the experience we'd all still be plugging away on our Atari 2600's, yes? I do hate games that push graphics over plot development and controllability and all platforms are occasionally guilty of publishing tripe like that from time to time. I savage games like that in Amazon reviews when I see em'.

Fencer wrote:Nintendo does have a lot more kiddie games than PS and XBox have, but Nintendo still views themselves as more gaming platforms while PS and XBox try to draw everyone by doing everything.

Nintendo is the one that's appealing to everyone, not X-Box 360 or PS3. My brother Matt explained this to me perfectly one day when I mentioned I was surprised that Nintendo had such a huge following when they had so very little I wanted to play despite the Wii-chuck novelty (the platform was still in its first year at the time). And he told me "Nintendo is out there trying to attract everyone. They don't even care about you because they know you'll never break away from the PC or 360. They're going after the untapped goldmine that is new players, and they know there's more of them than there are of you". He was dead on the money, too. ;))

Let's equate this to cars (for lack of a better comparison. Plus I just woke up and I can't think of anything better ;)) ). Nintendo is peddling the most cars, regular ones like minivans, 4-door sedans, and the usual cars which move the world. The X-Box is selling cars like Chargers and Mustangs. The PS3 is selling the same cars that the 360 is but they have provisions for selling "experimental" level vehicles that you see only at car shows. I said several years ago that the best platform is probably the PS3 but that it would take years for it to come into its own (making it more of an "investment" platform) and that the 360 was the best overall for the money, and I tend to still hold that view. The Wii's biggest weakness is its graphics...even the best Wii games tend to look like slightly advanced games from the Gamecube. Now there's nothing wrong with that if you like their game lineup, but it just doesn't really scratch that gaming itch for me. My sister has one and I enjoy playing it, but when I want to really sink my teeth into something I'd rather play the 360 or my PC.

Fencer wrote:PS and XBox do have a few standout games, (such as FF, Halo, and perhaps Fable) but most of the other games are just same style, different renditions. For example, I can't see much difference between Halo, Modern Warfare, Doom, and all the other first person shooters on those systems other than setting and creatures.

Blech...Halo. Overrated 8-| . I'm assuming by your naming those three you're referring to First Person Shooters overall because two of them aren't even available on 360 (you can play Halo on it because it was originally a regular X-Box game from back in the day but there's no Achievements available for it, and Doom hasn't been a regular platform game since PS One and even then it was an eyesore and looked and played far better on the PC). Modern Warfare is a decent game...my favorite part is where you get to fire the big guns on an AC-130 Spectre gunship, but other than that it doesn't really "talk" to me.

But to say that each FPS is a simple redress of some earlier game is like saying that your last fencing match was just a redress of some earlier match you played ;). You and I both know that's not the case, but coming from an outside observer with little to no knowledge it would sound rather insulting. So, let's go down this path to further expand on the theme. Far Cry is like fencing in the middle of a jungle on the set of an Errol Flynn movie. Half Life is like fencing in a rundown old factory filled with otherworldly creatures that like to interrupt the match by occasionally attacking you and your opponent. Bioshock is like juicing up with experimental performance drugs (that make your foil flame up) and fighting in an abandoned underwater dome that threatens to crash down on your head at any moment. Portal is like fencing with a foil you can point at walls with and open doorways that emerge behind your opponent. FEAR is like a fencing match with bullet-time features from the Matrix mixed in with the occasional visit by a ghost, and Fallout 3 is like a match in the apocalyptic ruins of your hometown with RPG like skills where you can upgrade and modify your existing foils, epee's, and sabers, and you have to fight your former neighbors who are now bigger, stronger, and badder than you are because they took a major hit of radiation. Now yes, this does put them all in the same category, but by no means does that make them identical to each other. ;)

I will readily agree with you on Final Fantasy games. Like I said, FF2 (SNES) is my personal favorite overall but I think FF7 was definitely the best in terms of quality of story, graphics (for its time) music, and game length. Remember the twist where you discover Cloud's "real" history? Wow! That blew my mind the first time I saw it :-o ! The game was way ahead of its time. I very much enjoyed FF8 although FF9 wasn't quite as good. Tactics was a fun game but spoiled by a few instances of "impossible" levels. I utterly detest FF10...the language translation issues of the past FF games were bad but they could be overlooked because the other areas of the game were so very good (I'm looking at you Barrett!). But FF10 the characters all have voices and it makes the game awkward and clunky at times. The scene where Tidus and Riku (I think that's her name) are standing there on the overlook and laughing was truly one of the most comically bad moments in gaming history. =)) I felt like I shouldn't be watching! I heard a rumor they were thinking of rereleasing FF7 on modern systems...have you heard about this? And by the by did you ever defeat Ruby or Emerald Weapon? I almost got Ruby. Once. It was...painful.

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby FencerforJesus » Dec 14, 2009 1:29 pm

RE FF: What you call FF2 and what the rest of the world calls FFIV are the same game. That one was the best one prior to FFVII. Do you have a DS? Get the re-released version of FFIV. It's the exact same story line with much improved graphics. While it does have voices, they are much better than FFX's. And yes, that moment between Tidus and Yuna (Rikku wasn't in the party yet) was very cheesy. A much better choice is FFXII. While I never played FFVIII, FFXII is the best game in the series since FFVII. It is the first game that breaks away from the end of the world senario into a more political background, while having very well done and deep characters.

Have I beaten Ruby or Emerald Weapon? In a word: NO!!! Even at level 99. I heard Emerald Weapon is one of the most difficult enemies of all time and I agree. And with 850,000 HP, what can you expect? The next most difficult enemy I have faced is Yazmat, the ultimate Mark in FFXII. That beast has over 50,000 HP and has a very annoying habit of casting Renew (complete restoration of HP) when he's down to his last 5% of his life. I haven't even gotten that far on him yet.

If they did a re-release of FFVII, that would be glorious. If they did what they did with FFIV (FF2 to you), and just take the exact same story and just improve the graphics, I would be there to get it as soon as possible. Plus, HOW can you argue against FFVII's ultimate sound piece, One-Winged Angel? That is the best single tune I have heard in all my video game experience and its competition in my list is very sparse.
FencerforJesus
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Shadowlander » Dec 14, 2009 3:00 pm

Fencer wrote:If they did a re-release of FFVII, that would be glorious. If they did what they did with FFIV (FF2 to you), and just take the exact same story and just improve the graphics, I would be there to get it as soon as possible.

Then like me you'll find this to be of great interest! I don't have a PS3 but even this would make me think about getting one. :D

Fencer wrote:Have I beaten Ruby or Emerald Weapon? In a word: NO!!! Even at level 99. I heard Emerald Weapon is one of the most difficult enemies of all time and I agree. And with 850,000 HP, what can you expect?

There was a long and convoluted way to get the job done but it required a lot of legwork and a ton of patience. The simplest way was to get a Land/Sea Chocobo (this is time consuming in and of itself) and then acquire the Knights of the Round and Mimic (I think it was called Mimic...it's been a long time since I played FF7) materias, and then go to Mideel and level them up so that they'd get Master levels. Mideel always seemed like the place with the best number of monsters versus level of experience ratio to do this in, although after a while you'll want to claw your eyes out for the repetetiveness of it. After about 30 or so hours (bare minimum) you just go up to whichever Weapon, have Cloud cast Knights of the Round, and then the other two party members cast Mimic. They'll simply repeat whatever Cloud is doing. And Knights does a good 100,000 damage if you're set up right, so you can drop whichever Weapon you're fighting down to a manageable level provided you can stay alive. The problem, as I said, is that it requires a vast amount of patience...this is stuff that isn't required to beat the game and at best is a lot of sidetracking to get something done that's more or less a notch on your belt.

My best shot I managed to get Ruby Weapon down to 1/4 health before my party expired...it was epic man, truly epic. :D

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby FencerforJesus » Dec 14, 2009 4:04 pm

I'm well aware of what it takes to beat these guys and yes, Knights of the Round, connected with HP-Absorb (so you gain your HP back with every blow) with a massive amount of miming (it was Mime not Mimic, but close enough) would get the job done. To get Knights of the Round, you have to get a Gold Chocobo, which of course, takes long enough till you almost beat the game to get, and it requires 500,000 points for Mastering (so put it on a Triple tech point weapon) or you will be playing a very long time. Of course, having a Final Attack connected with a Phoenix (both Mastered) is never a bad idea either.

So here was a question that came to mind as I was doing a couple chores this afternoon. What are your top 5 or 10 (pick a number) moments, battles, scenes, etc in your gaming memory? Shadowlander already mentioned one in FFVII when Cloud's true story emerged. I've mentioned one with Links' final showdown with Ganondorf in Zelda: WindWaker. So what are your top gaming moments, be it of any kind from any type of game? I'll post mine in a little bit.
FencerforJesus
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Shadowlander » Dec 14, 2009 5:42 pm

Fencer wrote:So here was a question that came to mind as I was doing a couple chores this afternoon. What are your top 5 or 10 (pick a number) moments, battles, scenes, etc in your gaming memory?

Hmm...that's a tough one, but I'll give it a whirl!

1. The first time my dad plugged in Pong on the family TV in the late 70's

2. The first time I got eaten by a dragon (which looked more like a chicken) in the Atari 2600 game Adventure ;))

3. Hearing the signature Final Fantasy theme for the first time on my old NES

4. The first time I played through my roomate's copy of StarFlight on his Sega Genesis and discovering that Endurium,
the fuel that ran the starships of the universe, was in actuality the Ancients themselves, whose ruins were dotted on planets across the galaxy
. That was mindblowing!

5. At the beginning of Star Control II going in to orbit around Earth for the first time and finding it slave-shielded by the Ur Quan. (PC)

6. Climbing the massive, underground pyramids and swan diving into the water hundreds of feet below on the Egypt subsection on Tomb Raider (PS One)

7. Final Fantasy VII - two moments actually, the first being...the death of Aeris and the second being the segment when we discover Cloud's true history...he was never in SOLDIER but was a low ranking guard the whole time! Truly two eye opening moments from that game!

8. The introductory tram ride from Half Life.

9. Warcraft III - The scene in which Arthas returns to Lordaeron and kills his father, King Terenas, and usurps the throne.

10. Storming Omaha beach while under withering machine gun fire in Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. It was pure adrenaline.

and last but not least...

11. Watching the Fallout 1 intro for the first time, which is where I got my avatar from. B-)

Ok, so that was 11, but I did put em' in chronological order from when I was a wee young lad all the way up to modern times so it's even sequential. :D

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby FencerforJesus » Dec 14, 2009 9:25 pm

I've got quite a few so here it goes more in chronological order than anything else.

1). SMB3 (NES): I remember being scared to death the first time the sun attacked you in one of the desert stages. That was pure 8-year old terrified into a dying panic (and I did die on that life). I got over it quickly, and soon beat it, but seeing that happen for the first time scared me.

2). Beating Zelda (NES) backwards. I always made challenges for myself in that game and have beaten it in a variety of ways. I'd get only the necessary items to advance, but I'd complete the temples in reverse order. I've also beaten it with no ring, the regular shield, and the wooden sword. That was a challenge.

3). Getting my SNES with Zelda: A Link to the Past. I saved up my money from a paper route I had. This was the first system I actually owned, but shortly after I got it, the N64 came out so I never got many games for it.

4). Chrono Trigger (SNES, PS1, DS): One of the best games of its generation. My two big moments in that game were
the showdown with Magus
and
invading the Ocean Palace before confronting Lavos for the first time

5). Mega Man X3 (SNES): My most memerable time in this series was beating it for a friend for the first time at his house and seeing his reaction to
Sigma's Battle Body form for the first time

6). Final Fantasy VII (PS1): My sentiments are the same as those of Shadowlander's except I have to add one thing:
the battle with Safer Sephiroth and listening to One-Winged Angel

7). Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64): Several things from this game. 1.
Youth Link faces Ganondorf. The way they did the eyes for both characters in this scene gives me chills, and the closing shot of this scene with Link is one of my favorites of the series.
2).
The Water Temple. To this day, the OoT Water Temple is legendary for its level of difficulty. It was so hard the Master Quest version was actually easier.
And 3)
Ganondorf changing into Ganon. One of the best transformation animations I have seen, especially with N64 graphics

8). Zelda: WindWaker (GameCube): Yes Zelda makes a number of apperances on my list. Two things in this game. 1)
Learning the Parry Attack at the beginning. See more in part 2
and something I've mentioned before on this game.
The final showdown with Ganondorf. I was giddy and ecstic when I saw Gandondorf draw his two blades. The music is the best single track in the series, and the best Zelda animation moment yet is Link's final killing move. It is simply beautifiul.

9). Zelda: Twilight Princess (GC, Wii): Just to make it simple, my favorite moment of this game is the first horseback battle.
Colin is kidnapped and Link battles in a large field to get him back ended in a face-to-face showdown on the narrow Bridge of Eldin.

10). Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World (Wii): Tales of Symphonia for GC and Wii are the two best RPG's Nintendo is known for since Squaresoft (now Square Enix) left for Playstation. What I love about the sequel to this series is the animates sword duels especially
when Lloyd faces a villian masquarading as him, and they appear like twins.
The ones in this game are so far the best animated sword duels I have seen.

I can probably dig out some more gaming memories but that will do for now.
FencerforJesus
NarniaWeb Zealot

PreviousNext