This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Video games

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Video games

Postby fantasia » Apr 19, 2017 6:44 am

In reply to your spoiler...
For the lizard, once you arrive in the Goron town, visit the armory. They sell a full set of armor that will take care of you while you're there.
Now for some annoying reason, that same armor doesn't work in the desert. /:) I can't remember exactly how I got the stuff for Gerudo, but I know I followed the primary quest line there and got an outfit set and piece of jewelry for desert heat resistance.
There's also the cheaper option of elixirs and food stuffs. I don't remember recipes off the top of my head, but I know I found them when I leading up to the area.

Hope that helps!
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Sonny » Apr 23, 2017 4:20 am

Thank you so much! I ended up needing only one elixir to get to Goron City because I ended up having enough rupees or things to sell to buy a matched set of Flamebreaker Armor and Flamebreaker Boots as soon as I got there. I left off while trekking up Death Mountain, and am excited to defeat Vah Rudania!.

I also bought The Evil Within the other day, but I have found it tedious and a bit slow. Not as fun as I was hoping, and certainly not as scary as I thought it would be. I'm only on Chapter 3, so we'll see if it improves. But it was probably worth the $14 I spent on it!
Sonny
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Ryadian » May 11, 2017 11:28 am

shastastwin wrote:I finished up Child of Light last night (I wasn't far from the end when I posted Saturday). I think I definitely lost something by playing the first few short chapters and then taking a long stretch away before finishing it, because the ending worked really well and tied in a LOT more story than I thought it would. The biggest story complaint I had was that between the beginning and the last third of the game, there's very little of the main story involved. All of the side characters and such in the middle are very nice, but because the game is so brief, it feels like there's a lot more to the world beyond the "page" as it were. While I like to feel that there's more to the story with any tale, this felt a little like we weren't getting *enough* of the story (again, just in the middle section).

When I first played the game about a year (or two? Who can keep track of time? :P), I played it to story completion within a week, and I agree that doing it quickly really helps with the story. ;)) You get through the middle parts where you're just kind of wandering around and keep up your momentum to want to finish the story. ;)) I'll admit, I started a New Game+ recently and have yet to finish, even though I'm fairly near the end of the game. It's a beautiful game and I did enjoy the story, I just wish there had been a bit more to it. ;))

It also would've been nice to have any development for any of your party members after your quest to add them - after that, they pretty much only even have dialogue where everyone has dialogue. Which is too bad, because they were all fun characters. I also kind of want to go through the game again just to see if I can collect all those pages since they seem to tell a really interesting story, but I'm not a fan of scouring every location on the map to find all the collectables, without at least some kind of map or directions. ;))

My recent game obsession has been Horizon Zero Dawn. It kind of flew under the radar - which is a shame, because I loved this game. The visuals were astounding, the story was really well-told, and I felt fully involved in the world. The characters were a bit hit or miss, but the only ones I found grating were the ones where that was the point, and I did like the main character. ;)) I'd heartily recommend it to anyone with a PS4 for the story alone, and I also found the gameplay enjoyable (though I understand it's kind of a mashup of a lot of other open world games like Assassin's Creed - I've never played those games so it didn't bother me ;)) ). I'd still be playing it if I didn't have to justify using the TV for hours on end, and I can no longer claim I'm trying to get to the next story point. ;))
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
Ryadian

Postby fantasia » Jan 17, 2018 1:36 pm

Anyone besides me hooked on the HQ app? ;))
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Shawna » Feb 01, 2018 7:34 pm

I've been kind of hooked on Fire Emblem Heroes lately. It's mostly the character-collecting that I like, but the chess-style gameplay is fun too (except for when it's impossibly hard). Some of the characters are very cute/funny.
author webpage: http://shawnacanon.com
Shawna
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby GreatLionAslan » Jul 31, 2018 6:00 pm

Hellow everyone. i challenge you all to a battle on my game i play called Alter Aeon. sence i am blind i can't play Xbox or fallout or any of those games. So i play tthis game. Alter Aeon is a mud which is a multi user dungin. It is a text bassed game. That means there are no pictures only words. you have to read to see what is happening around you. you can get the client at

http://www.alteraeon.com.

you can learn more about the game at

http://www.alteraeon.com/helptopics

If you need further assistance, or want to know more about this awesome game, do not hesitate to email me or send me a private message.

EDIT: hellow guys. I'm verry sorry i gave you the rong address for help on Alter Aeon. this is the correct address

http://www.alteraeon.com/help/index.html

Enjoy Alter Aeon and hope to see you soon.
GreatLionAslan
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Kalta79 » Aug 02, 2018 9:12 am

Link to the Past was the last Zelda game I played, I preferred the Final Fantasy series until XII. Playing the original Zelda now for me is rather funny, since I remember when it first came out, I was young enough that I was scared to fight Ganon at the end unless it was broad daylight, and part of me wanted to hide behind the couch a little as well :ymblushing:
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby narnianerd » Dec 26, 2018 8:55 am

So, video games and I have a very complicated relationship. Its a pretty fun story in retrospect, so I think I'll share it here.

As a young lad, my first ever experience with a home gaming system was an Atari Replica my dad had bought, almost as a joke. There was no way that he was going to get me a PS1 or Gamecube, this was the man who to this day refuses to purchase a cable tv package. Technology will rot your brain, he used to say. Jokes on him though, because I played the crap out of that Atari game.

It came preloaded with pretty much every arcade game you could imagine and I made it my personal mission to play every single one. I was a pretty akward kid, homeschooled most my life and as a result I didnt have many friends. But I had that Atari. Eventually I came across the OG Xbox at a yard sale. At the time it was already outdated. I think the 360 had released. Somehow though, I convinced my parents to let me buy it.

I was in heaven. I had bought it with a whole bunch of games, n addition to the box itself. NASCAR 2005, Madden, COD 2: The Big Red One and many more. I played those games until I wore the rubber off the joysticks. But it was too good to be true. My parents became frustrated with how much I played it, claiming that it had begun to rot my brain. In contrary it was probably the only thing keeping me sane. Middle school was a weird time. I had all the messed up hormones of your average teenager, but none of the usual social outlets. Video games were my release. My escapism. Then they were gone. Confiscated. Hidden in the garage where they would remain for nearly a year.

Now the thing you have to understand about our garage is that it wasnt so much a garage as it was a storage unit. Theoretically it could fit two cars. In practice it hadn't been possible for that to have happened since 1998 when my parents had filled it to the brim with all their junk upon moving into our house.

I hatched a plan. Amongst the old junk I found an old forgotton 20 inch tube tv, an extension cord and using my ingenuity I rigged up a discrete gaming station. I was a rebel and my cause was video gaming. When not in use I would cover the whole setup with an old rug, blending it into the junk perfectly. I would sneak down there in the middle of the night, volume on its lowest setting. Gaming away to my hearts content. This continued on for nearly half a year. There were a few close calls. Once or twice my dad or another family membet entered the garage while i was down there. But the junk in the garage was so dense that my position would go undected so long as I was fast enough on the volume nob.

It was a blissful six months. Playing single player modes over and over again, challenging myself in ways I didn't know possible. Until that fateful day came. I was caught and sold out by my snitch little sister. Video games were once again relegated long weekends spent at friends houses. Oh yeah, I eventually made friends. Something I probably wouldn't have been able to do without a mutual appreciation fot video games.

I'm an adult now and I live on my own. But I had a whole childhoods worth of games to catch up on, so my first purchase as an independent person was a 360. I'm finally up to speed now. My current favorite game is Battlefield 5 on the Xbox One. I'll probably talk more about that in a later post. Until then, this has been story time with Nerd.
you had me at meah
narnianerd
NarniaWeb Fanatic
Assisstant Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby SnowAngel » Dec 27, 2018 11:59 pm

Wow, that's quite a story, narnianerd. I remember years ago my brother playing Call of Duty: Big Red One on the PS2 and he was in the middle of a mission when he had to go a run an errand or something with dad. He hands the controller to me (who hadn't played the game before and had just been listening to him talk about how hard the game was) and tells me to try to finish the mission since the game would only save if you finished the mission. I finished it, and had fun. If mom had only known where that would lead. ;)

I haven't gamed much over the last couple years, my brother and I use to play co-op regularly, but that's been while. I have to admit I miss those times when we were teens and would play Splinter Cell: Conviction co-op or take turns playing a Call of Duty game until 10 o'clock at night.

So about two and half weeks ago my younger siblings and I decided it was time to play through the 3 Halo games my older brother gifted to those of us who play video games when he moved out. We started with Halo 3, it took us two days to complete the game. Then we played Halo 3: ODST that took two days as well, but there was almost a week in between the two days. I bought Halo: Reach and after playing it twice we are halfway through it. Normally the younger siblings are only allowed 30 minutes of video games a day, but since they are playing with me the rule is being misplaced for the time being. ;) What can I say it's Christmas break for the kids, we're having fun! B-) And as long as there is no arguing and mom can work on a sewing project uninterrupted, then it's okay for Christmas break. My little brother and I are planning to finish Reach this weekend and next week we will probably start Halo 4.

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby Cleander » Dec 28, 2018 4:36 am

I know the pain of being unable to play a favorite game, narnianerd. Only in my case it wasn't my parents that prevented me. It was the general advance of technology.
The game I'm talking about is perhaps the official computer/video game of homeschoolers everywhere. It goes by the illustrious and undying name of AGE OF EMPIRES.
(I'm referring to the second version, the medieval one. This one seems to be the favorite of most people who've played it.)
Umfortunately it's an old game that is no longer compatible with the computer I use. I've tried multiple times reinstalling it or getting it on Steam, but so far I have been unsuccessful.
But I'm not giving up. I'm on a quest to restore this game and I am going to try and try again.
Wish me luck!
PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Kalta79 » Dec 28, 2018 9:35 am

Hmmm...I have it on Steam with my Windows 10 laptop and I haven't had any trouble it. I also have the original and the 2nd in the series here on my XP desktop(we're old school here mostly and still on dialup for home internet). I prefer older computer games mostly...newer ones I like are pretty much limited to puzzle type games, like hidden object ones. I also like the Civilization series, but my favorite are the 2nds in both series. I don't know why, but it seems the third games and beyond don't have the same appeal the earlier ones do, just for me at least. And there's nothing like being able to accomplish some good old-fashioned world domination in your pajamas with the favorite beverage/snacks of your choice, so I totally feel your pain, Cleander...and I do wish you luck...and now I feel a need to play it again...the Gold Rush scenario that I have never achieved my goal with, of mining all the gold before I off the other (AI) players.
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Cleander » Dec 28, 2018 2:30 pm

Oh yes, Civilization 2!!!! :D I have some good memories of that one. I need to check if that still works...
My problem with Steam is actually just setting up an account.
I had one before but I deleted it a long time ago after an abortive attempt to buy Age of Empires 2.(in which I found out too late that I had bought an expansion, not the actual game, and discovered to my horror that I was out of money X( ).
I've tried setting up a new one, but the window just spins and never responds after I confirm my email. I'm hoping to try again soon.
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Kalta79 » Dec 28, 2018 4:09 pm

Oh, I don't even remember signing up for Steam or why I did in the first place, it was a couple years ago. I got AoE 3 on it too and the expansion packs, but when I tried to start playing it, I was like HUH? Really didn't understand what I was doing...had the same problem with Civ 3(I have 3-6 on Steam as well). The gameplay was different enough that I haven't been interested in trying to figure it out for either series yet. Civ 2 Test of Time and Civ 2 Call to Power are my favorites for that series, but I need to find more copies of the game, my CDs are too scratched up, and of course they're the ones that you have to have the disc in to play. There are 'crack' files that will just let me play the game without the disc, but they don't work right.

I wanna get us those NES/SNES mini consoles that have preloaded classic games...I am an old-school gamer and I always will be I guess. Anyone else here remember the King's Quest games or Bard's Tale?
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Cleander » Dec 28, 2018 5:34 pm

I never actually heard of those Civ 2 expansions, Kalta. I'm just used to the old original... I can still remember the incredibly pixelated graphics and the weird sound effects. It was SO FUN!... especially in cheat mode :D :D
BTW, your wish for my good luck must have had some effect... I tried again this evening, and now, even as I write this, AGE OF EMPIRES 2 IS INSTALLING ON MY COMPUTER!!!!!!!!!! :ymapplause: :D :D Though it'll probably have a bug in it somewhere, I shouldn't wonder... :|
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Kalta79 » Dec 28, 2018 5:49 pm

It's my father's fault I got hooked on the Civilization series way back with the very first game, he and I used to play computer games together all the time. It's all his fault that I knew enough about Star Trek that I kept trying to call the Carthaginians the Cardassians whenever they were one of my AI opponents hehe
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Cleander » Dec 29, 2018 3:33 pm

One advantage that Civilization has is the simpler multiplayer game. Me and my brother can just sit down at one computer and take turns moving, like on a board game. A real-time game like Age of Empires is harder to play with other people; you have to wait for it to hook up to the LAN or the internet... and 80% of the time it won't work. X(
But fortunately my acquisition of Age of Empires II on Steam last night worked great. I'll be immersed in nostalgic euphoria for the next year I think. My quest is complete, and I don't even know what I did right this time that made it work!!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

PreviousNext