This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The shot is up...and its good! General Sports Discussion

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: The shot is up...and its good! General Sports Discussion

Postby stardf29 » Dec 02, 2009 11:47 pm

I got to go to the Jaguars vs. 49ers game last Sunday. First time going to a professional football game, and 'twas very fun! (Plus, I got to go for free since it was part of a volunteer event where I would help out during the halftime show.) I think what I enjoyed the most about being in the stadium (as opposed to watching from the couch) is feeling the energy of all the fans around you as they cheer their team on.

Anyways, from what I gathered, the Jaguars had a 3-game winning streak going into the game, while the 49ers had a 5w-6l record.

From what I saw, the Jaguars managed to prove that making fourth-down conversions without sufficiently protecting the quarterback is a bad idea.

Anyways, also from what I gathered, the Jaguars' loss officially gives the Colts a spot in the finals, if I'm not mistaken. I hope they do well. After beating the Bears that one Super Bowl (*grumblegrumble*), they have to prove they are capable of winning it all again.

On a side note, I think that being able to kick a football on a field goal attempt so that it hits the goalpost itself is a pretty cool feat. Alas, it scores no points. Also, stadium food is horribly overpriced. Free tailgate food, though, is awesome. :D
"A Series of Miracles", a blog about faith and anime.

Avatar: Kojiro Sasahara of Nichijou.
stardf29
Moderator Emeritus
I'm on a goat.

Postby IloveFauns » Dec 03, 2009 5:29 am

I think we can all agree that Danny Green flogged roy jones jr last night. comeon 2 minuets and 2 seconds. not much of a fight.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby narnialover4 » Dec 28, 2009 12:05 pm

Is anyone else anticipating Vancouver 2010??? I can't wait till the Olympics!!!
"Are you sure you're eighteen?"
"Why? Do I look older?"
narnialover4
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby TheGeneral » Dec 28, 2009 12:09 pm

narnialover4 wrote:Is anyone else anticipating Vancouver 2010??? I can't wait till the Olympics!!!

Yeah, been lookin forward to it a long time. Only problem is that the winter olympics are during school so it's hard to watch a lot. :-\
But I won't miss the skiing, that's for sure.
TheGeneral
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby IloveFauns » Dec 28, 2009 6:23 pm

I not a big fan on winter olympics i liek summer a lot better(just has better sport) well most of them are better.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby TheGeneral » Jan 17, 2010 3:00 pm

The Vikings didn't disappoint today! :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
At first, I thought oh man we might be in trouble. But, Brett Favre delivered and I have hopes for next week.
And as far as that last unnecessary touchdown, ok maybe a little mean, but get over it Cowboys ;)
TheGeneral
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby FencerforJesus » Jan 17, 2010 5:24 pm

Jets are beating the Chargers right now. The Championship games are looking to be pretty good. I really excited about the Saints/Vikings game. Based on who is left, I ready to put money down that the Super Bowl winner is going to come from the NFC. Thoses two teams look too good for the Colts or the Jets (who just scored as I typed this post to take a 17-7 lead with 7 minutes to go in regulation). I don't see the Chargers being able to get past the Jet D which has given the Chargers headaches the whole day.
Be watching for the release of my spiritual warfare novel under a new title: "Call to Arms" by OakTara Publishing. A sequel (title TBD) will shortly follow.
FencerforJesus
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Jan 17, 2010 10:04 pm

If the Vikings can play as well as they did today, they definitely have a shot at beating the Saints next week. One disadvantage will be the crowd noise - today it was to their advantage, but next week the Superdome crowd will be working against them.

It's been over 30 years since the Vikings went to the Super Bowl. I was still in high school back then! ;))
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby FencerforJesus » Jan 18, 2010 8:01 am

The Saints have never been to the Super Bowl (one of five teams to have never been to the dance). To be honest, I have reasons to root for both teams and regardless, I am rooting for the winner in the Super Bowl. The NFC Championship Game is slated to be one of the best in years. And I will safely say that the Viking will do WAY better than they did in thier last visit to this game (a 41-0) blowout against the Giants who then lost to the Ravens in the SB. So I won't pick a team to root for in this game. I just know it's going to be a good one.

Onto Basketball, my Denver Nuggets just had a big win against the Jazz and are yet again making a stand for being the team to challenge the Lakers in the West. It's going to be a good spring for me, especially with the Avalanche doing very well in Hockey and the Rockies getting ready to make another playoff run in Baseball.
Be watching for the release of my spiritual warfare novel under a new title: "Call to Arms" by OakTara Publishing. A sequel (title TBD) will shortly follow.
FencerforJesus
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Jan 18, 2010 12:22 pm

I do sympathize with the Saints, inasmuch as they've never advanced this far, and have had a great season. But as a lifelong Minnesotan who well remembers those 4 Vikings Super Bowl losses, my allegiance must lie elsewhere, at least for the moment. ;)

And speaking of baseball, there's some excitement here as the Twins prepare to move to their new home in downtown Minneapolis this spring, and outdoor major-league baseball returns to Minnesota after several decades. Just so the home opener doesn't get snowed out (like it would have last year if the Twins hadn't been playing indoors ;)) )
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Narnian_Warrior » Jan 21, 2010 4:09 pm

Well I'm disappointed in how the playoffs are playing out but at least the Colts are still in it.
On to basketball Roy Williams just experienced his first three game losing streak at Carolina last night. :(( Although they were two men down, nonetheless they should have done better than they did.
Image sig by MementoMorrie
Narnian_Warrior
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby FencerforJesus » Jan 24, 2010 8:23 pm

The Super Bowl is set. It will be the Colts and Vikings. Colts rallied from a 17-6 deficit to win 30-17 and the Saints just beat the Vikings 31-28 in OT. Excellent games and this will be a good SB. I am rooting for the Saints.
FencerforJesus
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby greenleaf23 » Jan 24, 2010 8:33 pm

Fantastic :D I was hoping Saints vs. Jets (well, in the beginning I was hoping Eagles, so that shows my foresight) but I'm happy with just the Saints. Awesome game though, if the Vikings hadn't had so many interceptions and fumbles they may have pulled it out, but the Saints fought till the end. The jump the Saints made in overtime for the first down was amazing, I have no idea how he managed to hold onto the ball!
Avi by Visionsbeyond/Awesome sig by Flambeau! NW Sis:Jay
LiveJournal (not really too terribly empty anymore :P)
Team Hoodie!!
greenleaf23
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby stargazer » Jan 24, 2010 9:41 pm

Congrats to the Colts and the Saints! It should be quite a game.

The Vikings had a shot but all those turnovers were too much to overcome. Maybe next year, Vikings fans. ;) (Though after all the hits Favre took today, I wouldn't blame him if he retires).
stargazer

Postby FencerforJesus » Jan 25, 2010 8:06 am

I see Favre and Warner not retiring yet. They are the type that will not retire until their bodies truly cannot handle it or when they game loses it's zeal. I saw this year that both QBs were have too much fun this year to just hang it up. I think they want to go out on top and that will be with a SB ring. But not every QB can do that. Warner had his chance last year. If Favre plays again next year, he will be in the hunt, as will Warner, so we shall see.
FencerforJesus
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby checkers » Jan 25, 2010 9:25 am

SAINTS IN THE SUPERBOWL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Being from LA, this is a dream come true for me and everyone else down here!!!!! We finally made it!!!!! I can't believe that field goal of Hartleys! Wish I could've been at the dome....that was a night to remember. :) They showed the French Quarter like, two seconds after the game was over, and the whole place was crazy!!!!! So was everyone else!!!!! I just can't believe we're going....I don't even really care if we don't win....WE MADE IT!!!!! Brees wasn't so great last night though...that's the main thing that's got me worried. :( I feel sorry for poor Archie Manning, his old team is going up against his son's team! Well, I think he needs to cheer for his son. :)

And Shockey better get over his dadgum turf toe before the Superbowl......He's my favorite and we need him out there!

Who Dat! Who Dat! Who dat say dey gonna beat dem Saints?!?!?!?!?! :D :D :D
Co-president of the BGMCA club. <--- don't remember what that was but I left it for the nostalgia
Buds: 5, Twin Blank! <--- also don't remember who Twin Blank was. Find me if you're out there, lost one.
checkers
NarniaWeb Guru

PreviousNext