This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The shot is up...and its good! General Sports Discussion

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: The shot is up...and its good! General Sports Discussion

Postby fantasia » Mar 24, 2014 3:30 pm

Yeah, yesterday was pretty disappointing. :P Both KU and WSU lost, and they did it in the same way. Both were two points down and went for a 3 pointer in the last seconds of the game and missed. Still proud of WSU though. Yesterday was the first game they lost this season. Pretty darn good for a team that came out of nowhere last year.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Shadowlander » Mar 24, 2014 4:34 pm

It is sad to hear of. I was kind of hoping they could pull it off. I'm just glad the UNC Tar Heels lost. Now I don't have to take too much smack talk from em at work tomorrow. ;))
Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby narnia fan 7 » Mar 31, 2014 8:08 am

Baseball's Opening Day is here! baseball is back!!!
narnia fan 7
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby stargazer » Apr 07, 2014 9:53 am

It's not the NCAA Final Four, but congrats to my alma mater's men's basketball team on winning the NIT tournament last week.

And the Twins have their home opener today. It's a great day for outdoor baseball, and the grounds crew has been hard at work removing all the snow we got last Thursday.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby CaptainM » Jun 29, 2014 5:21 am

The only football I watch is the CFL but that is because I do get NFL games but they are on late but I do follow it a little bit. I am more in to hockey.
"How can you govern a country which has 246 varieties of cheese"-Charles De Gaulle
CaptainM
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby ValiantArcher » Mar 21, 2015 2:39 pm

*blows dust off this thread*

...so, anyone paying attention to March Madness? ;)) For the first time in my life, I filled out a bracket (two of them actually!) since it's a big deal at the company I work at, and winner gets bragging rights (second was for the group I specifically work in, which gives you perhaps even bigger bragging rights ;)) ). I paid no attention to rankings and had done no research on the actual teams, which means I lost my championship team for the first bracket in the first game. :P ;)) And then I lost my other championship team yesterday. ;)) I think some of my coworkers were a bit embarrassed for me, but it's been a lot of fun and I (when last checked) have the dubious distinction of being dead last in the company rankings. ;))

Does anyone have any serious (or semi-serious) thoughts about which teams have a good chance of making it to the championship? :)
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby Shadowlander » Mar 22, 2015 4:29 pm

Well, the odds on favorite to win is Kentucky, and make no mistake, they're a formidable team. I suspect they may pull it off...but no other team has been able to play a completely perfect season since Indiana University back in the 70's (I think it was 74 or 75, but I'm rusty). My personal belief is that they will fall just shy of the Final Four, but if they make it that far they'll probably go ahead and win. I hope they lose...I'm a huge Duke fan and if Duke makes it far enough to face off with Kentucky it'd be like playing an NBA team. Seriously, they're that good. ;))

I filled out one bracket and it's not completely mangled yet, and it looks a lot better than my coworkers' versions B-) . I love March Madness! This is one of the greatest times of the year, especially if you have a team that makes it in. Literally any team with enough heart can make it all the way to the Finals if fortune favors them. Do you have a team that you're pulling for personally Valia? Or are you just sorta winging it? lol
Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby ValiantArcher » Mar 22, 2015 6:17 pm

I am completely winging it, SL. ;)) I don't really care who wins but perhaps that will change as the championship progresses. Currently, I'm just curious to see who, if any, of my coworkers guessed correctly, especially since 'my' teams are out.
I think at least one of my brackets had Duke making it as far as the Final Four, so we'll see. ;)) A couple of my coworkers have Virginia winning, but I think one has Duke and another Kentucky. :)
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby stargazer » Mar 22, 2015 7:15 pm

Brackets are pretty popular around here as well but I've never tried my hand at doing one. I'm more of a casual fan unless a local team is in - I'll watch the games as part of a social event with friends, sort of like our Super Bowl parties.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby SnowAngel » Apr 06, 2015 10:44 am

Not really interested in basketball, but a few members of the family (including myself) were very happy that UK lost!

Baseball is back!!! We are a very happy bunch at my house today after watching the Cardinals beat the Cubs yesterday! :D Although last season was just long enough ago that I had to keep explaining things to the younger siblings; strikes, outs, top of the inning, etc. Everything that my brother had to explain to me when I first started watching baseball and he very kindly reminded me of that yesterday. 8-| ;)

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Sep 06, 2015 4:29 am

I've had no reason to contribute to this thread beforehand, as some sports in Australia, especially some of the football codes in Sydney, are as alien to what you are talking about on this thread as Narnia might be to Calormen. Our most usual local football competition is NRL, or National Rugby League. There are nine Sydney teams, Penrith (Panthers), Parramatta (Eels), Manly (Sea-Eagles), St George (Dragons, of course), Wests (Tigers - a long story), Easts (Roosters), Souths (Rabbito's - again a long story), Cronulla (Sharks) and Canterbury-Bankstown (Bulldogs). We also have in this competition three Queenslander teams: 1.Gold Coast (Titans), 2. North Queensland (Cowboys) and 3.Brisbane (Broncos). As well, the competition includes a Canberra team (Raiders), one from Melbourne (Storm), a Newcastle team (Knights), plus a team from Auckland in New Zealand, called the Warriors.

Sometimes players switch to other codes such as the related Rugby Union, played in UK, France, Romania and other places. But it is rare, indeed, for someone like Jarryd Haynes, a player from the Parramatta Eels, to switch to your NFL, called Gridiron here. He has just been signed up to play for the Forty Niners in San Francisco, and, it seems, wears a yellow and maroon outfit with 38 on it. I expect that now we will all have to learn a bit about Gridiron-speak. :ymsigh: Jarryd Haynes was one of the better and more popular players here.

Could someone please tell me why the San Francisco team is called Forty Niners? And what has this team got to do with an old song called O my darling Clementine? Just puzzled and curious. :-\
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby IloveFauns » Sep 06, 2015 6:06 am

I have never watched a NRL match and only recognize about 1/4 of those teams mentioned @Wagga. I mean I thought Hawthorn was the Tassy team in AFL because my dad went for them. Turns out there isn't a Tasmanian team so they tend to go for a Victorian team. So, so yeah I have no clue when it comes to sport. I have no idea why Richmond are called the Bombers.

I know my work mates were hoping for a Western Australian grand final this year. Which would be Fremantle vs. West coast, just to purely anger the eastern states (Bitterness I think). I am assuming the final would be played over here for the first time (can it be?). So if that does happen I will be avoiding the city that day.

When I went over to knew york, we ran into this guy who was extremely excited to talk about AFL with an Australian (my dad). My dad was trying to get away from him in the end.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Sep 06, 2015 4:55 pm

IfL wrote:I have no idea why Richmond are called the Bombers.

There are so many places called Richmond it is hard to know which Richmond is which sometimes. But it is Essendon's team which is called the bombers. That is quite logical when you realise that Essendon was once Melbourne's main airport. Whilst Collingwood are the Magpies. I think there is a team called the crows but don't know which it is.

AFL is normally a Melbourne connection, with teams like Hawthorn, St Kilda (definitely the Saints), Essendon, Collingwood, Richmond or Geelong. It has become more Australia wide, with the Freemantle Dockers and West Coast Eagles representing Perth. The second team said about themselves, that being the first Interstate team to be accepted into the VFL, they made history by turning VFL into AFL. I don't follow "aerial ping pong", though I like the outfits the players wear. So I'd be delighted if that competition went to Perth.

There is a Sydney team in the AFL, the Swans, about 5th on the competition ladder. Brisbane also has an AFL team, the Lions, I think, long before Sydney. And I think there is an Adelaide team but don't know which one it is. Hawthorn are the Magpies.

IlF, I think you will find the so-called East Coast prejudice is because of Sydney/Melbourne rivalry, with Melbourne being the main centre for Australian Rules and Sydney's NRL competition extended to include first Queensland, then ACT, Melbourne and even Auckland.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Gymfan15 » Sep 07, 2015 11:48 pm

waggawerewolf27 wrote:Could someone please tell me why the San Francisco team is called Forty Niners? And what has this team got to do with an old song called O my darling Clementine? Just puzzled and curious. :-\

I suspect it comes from the California Gold Rush in 1849, and Wikipedia confirms it:

The name "49ers" comes from the prospectors who arrived in Northern California in the 1849 Gold Rush.

As for the song, it's an old folk song in America; I don't know what connection it has to the team specifically. Sometimes teams adopt songs that aren't directly related to their name or history; I can think of a couple major sports teams that have non-related songs as "their" theme.
Gymfan15
Moderator Emeritus
Giver of Prestigious NarniaWeb Taglines™

Postby aileth » Sep 08, 2015 7:55 am

Clementine was a song about a 'forty-niner.

Near a cavern, in a canyon,
Excavating for a mine,
Lived a miner, forty-niner....
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby IloveFauns » Sep 08, 2015 10:01 pm

@Wagga i think it is the Adelaide crows. My brother goes for the swans(wouldn't have a clue why, but he always has).

This has got to be me when it comes to sport in general (My favourite IT crowd clip). I can undertsnad why people enjoy it but it isn't for me. Especially cricket, that is just some people standing in a field, likely dying in those uniforms in the heat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESVjzf4FzyU
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

PreviousNext