This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The shot is up...and its good! General Sports Discussion

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: The shot is up...and its good! General Sports Discussion

Postby FencerforJesus » Oct 10, 2009 8:31 pm

Baseball playoffs are on. LA swept the Cardinals tonight and advance to the NLCS. The Phillies/Rockies Game 3 was delayed today for snow and will be made up tomorrow. That series is tied 1-1.

In the AL both Yankees and Angels are up 2-0 in thier series to be continued tomorrow.

In College FB, Tebow played tonight for Florida. They are currently up 13-3 on LSU in the 3rd quarter.
Be watching for the release of my spiritual warfare novel under a new title: "Call to Arms" by OakTara Publishing. A sequel (title TBD) will shortly follow.
FencerforJesus
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Oct 11, 2009 10:36 pm

In the MLB playoffs, sweeps appear to be the order of the day. The Dodgers, Yankees, and Angels all defeated their division series opponents 3 games to none. The exception is the Phillies-Rockies series, which is tied at 1 game apiece with game 3 currently tied in the 8th inning.

Meanwhile the NFL season is young but the Vikings remain one of the 5 undefeated teams after winning in St Louis Sunday.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby FencerforJesus » Oct 12, 2009 7:42 am

Rockies lost in the 9th yesterday 6-5. They are down 2-1 in the series with Game 4 this afternoon. It sounds like both clubs are throwing thier best pitcher for this game to either keep it going or end it. And the worst part of it for me is that I'm going to miss the end of the game due to fencing practice.

I watched the spectacular game between the Broncos and the Patriots. Truly the best game of the year so far. Denver is also 5-0 after Orton put up another flawless game. He has only one pick* this year. And yes, that pick deserves and astrick because it was on a hail-mary pass to end the half. As good as Cutler, Romo, Brady, and the Mannings are talent-wise, the Broncos have a QB that is very intelligent and doesn't make mistakes. And with thier defense, still ranked #1 by a long shot, they just proved they are Super Bowl Contenders. I only see the Colts being a real threat to them right now in the AFC. Its going to be a fun year.
Be watching for the release of my spiritual warfare novel under a new title: "Call to Arms" by OakTara Publishing. A sequel (title TBD) will shortly follow.
FencerforJesus
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Sparky » Oct 16, 2009 6:52 pm

Okay, so the Broncos probably will win their division, but I wouldn't count out the Chargers just yet. They oftentimes wait until later in the season to get hot.

Some noteworthy games in college football:
Texas vs. Oklahoma. During the preseason, this was the game everyone was pointing to. Texas/Oklahoma is always a big game, but this time it was going to be a grudge match, a matchup between two top five teams with the winner likely going to the National Championship game. Now, Oklahoma has two losses and is just trying to avoid having to settle for the Cotton Bowl, and Texas has been solid, but hasn't really looked like NC contenders. I have a sneaking suspicion that Oklahoma sneaks out a win in a largely defensive battle, throwing the Big Twelve into chaos.
USC vs. Notre Dame. Been a while since the Irish have been lucky in this game. They should at least be able to keep it respectable this year, but USC's defense is going to be a problem for Jimmy Clausen. Can Notre Dame's defense match USC's offense? I think not. USC extends their win streak against the Irish.
Alabama vs. South Carolina. This game is more important to South Carolina than it is to Alabama. The Gamecocks are the only team in the SEC East that can still catch Florida; everyone else has at least two losses. The Tide have been rolling over everybody, and I'd say South Carolina will get the same treatment.
Mark my words, someday I will think of something brilliant to put in my sig.
Sparky
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby FencerforJesus » Oct 19, 2009 9:14 pm

Sorry to the Chargers fan but AFC West division race is already over. Denver just took San Diego to the shed for a whipping with yet another shut-down 2nd half performance. Denver is now up 3 1/2 games in the division with the head-to-head tie breaker, which really means 4 1/2 games right now. Denver remains one of four undefeated teams (two in each conference).

And is the Patriots 59-0 win due to a Pats revival or just a horrid Titan team? I'd say both. The Pats are going to be in the playoffs against, but everything in the AFC is going to come down to Denver and the Colts. And they have a head-to-head this season. I could see both teams being undefeated for that match-up.

Onto Baseball, Angels beat the Yanks today to pull within 2-1 in thier series. And the Phillies just beat the Dodgers to take a 3-1 lead in thier series. Current WS match-up prediction: Yanks vs Phils.
FencerforJesus
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Oct 22, 2009 8:36 pm

The Angels dodged elimination in the ALCS with a 7-6 victory, even though the Yankees had the bases loaded in the top of the 9th inning. But the Angels have their work cut out for them - they have to win twice in New York to prevent that Phillies - Yankees World Series Fencer mentions.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Horse_Lover » Oct 24, 2009 9:26 am

Okay, this is general sports, so, does anyone here like to play Ultamite Frisbee? I LOVE it! :D
Nweb twin to ValiantPrincess, and Nweb sis to elvenbug
Proud member of the 10th Avenue North club!
Horse_Lover
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby FencerforJesus » Oct 24, 2009 12:57 pm

I don't play it as often as I'd like but I love Ultimate Frisbee as well. If I get hot, you want me on your team. I can actually take off downfield at the same time as the frisbee and beat it. I love being open have a frisbee coming my way and being able to back up along with it to maximize the distance of the throw. It's so fun, but we don't play it much in my neck of the woods.

I just had a fencing tournament today, taking 4th place out of 6. It was a small event that didn't count for anything other than bragging rights and I had three very close direct elimination bouts, winning 15-14, losing 12-15, and losing for 3rd place 13-15. It was fun, but definately not my best day. I wanted to be in Colorado Springs going at it against 160 some fencers at the Air Force Academy, but transporation logistics fell through for me. Maybe next time.
FencerforJesus
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Oct 29, 2009 11:34 am

I've played Ultimate Frisbee before, but bad knees have kept me away from the more strenuous sports.

The Phillies took Game 1 of the World Series in the Bronx last night, beating the Yankees 6-1. It was a shutout going into the bottom of the 9th inning, and the TV commentators pointed out that the Yankees had never been shut out in game 1 of a World Series - and this was their 40th Series. A rather impressive achievement.

In the NFL, this upcoming weekend marks Brett Favre's first return to Wisconsin after signing with arch-rival Minnesota. It'll be interesting to see the reception given him at Lambeau Field.
stargazer

Postby Gymfan15 » Oct 29, 2009 11:40 am

Grrrr. For a second year in a row, I get a whole bunch of teams I like in the play-offs, and the two that I like the least are the ones that actually make it. Maybe next year, I should start rooting for the Phillies or the Yankees and see if this "jinks" works backwards. ;)
Gymfan15
Moderator Emeritus
Giver of Prestigious NarniaWeb Taglines™

Postby Narnian_Warrior » Oct 30, 2009 2:51 pm

Gymfan15 wrote:Grrrr. For a second year in a row, I get a whole bunch of teams I like in the play-offs, and the two that I like the least are the ones that actually make it. Maybe next year, I should start rooting for the Phillies or the Yankees and see if this "jinks" works backwards. ;)

Ugh, I can't stand the Yankees. They're like the patriots to me in the NFL. (I love the Panthers and really, really, despise the Patriots X( X( ) Who were you pulling for in the playoffs?
Image sig by MementoMorrie
Narnian_Warrior
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Narnian_Warrior » Oct 31, 2009 4:40 pm

Arrgh. Just watched Miami beat Wake Forest with a touchdown in the last minute. X(
Very frustrating. X( X( X( X( X(
Narnian_Warrior
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby stargazer » Nov 02, 2009 11:35 am

Narnian_Warrior wrote:...Who were you pulling for in the playoffs?

This inquiry wasn't directed to me, but my idea of fun Series would have been Colorado vs. the Twins. Sure, both were eliminated early, but those were my favorite teams among those making the playoffs and I would have enjoyed seeing them face off.

As it is, the Phillies now have to take 3 straight from New York, including 2 games in Yankee Stadium - while the Yankees just need one more victory. Still rooting for the Phillies. ;)

In the NFL, Brett Favre returned to vigorous "boos" from a sellout crowd at Lambeau Field yesterday. The Vikings jumped out to a big first-half lead but sputtered in the second half, though they still pulled out a 38-26 win over the Packers to improve to 7-1.
stargazer

Postby Narnian_Warrior » Nov 02, 2009 2:06 pm

stargazer wrote:In the NFL, Brett Favre returned to vigorous "boos" from a sellout crowd at Lambeau Field yesterday. The Vikings jumped out to a big first-half lead but sputtered in the second half, though they still pulled out a 38-26 win over the Packers to improve to 7-1.

Who were you pulling for? I was hoping the Vikings would win. I'll bet there were some mad people in Lambeau.
Narnian_Warrior
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby FencerforJesus » Nov 02, 2009 3:05 pm

I was rooting for the Broncos yesterday, but Baltimore pulled off an incredible attack plan that shut down the Denver O save for two drives. Next week Denver hosts Pittsburg and I think they will make appropriate adjustments to pull off a win against the Steelers.

The NBA season is off and two teams are looking standout at this point, Boston in the Eastern Conference, and Denver in the West. Boston knocked off the Cavs and Denver took two hard fought games against Division rivals, Utah and Portland. And based on the first three games, the MVP of the season is Carmelo Anthony with 31, 41, and 42 points in three games. I think the Lakers have much to fear from this team if they wish to repeat.
FencerforJesus
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Nov 02, 2009 10:06 pm

Narnian_Warrior wrote:Who were you pulling for? I was hoping the Vikings would win. I'll bet there were some mad people in Lambeau.

Vikings fan here (I live in the Twin Cities). But there are still a lot of Green Bay fans here, since we're quite close to Wisconsin, and perhaps some older fans that cheered for the Packers before Minnesota got a team back in 1961.

The Phillies pulled out a win tonight so the Series returns to the Bronx.

Our NBA team hasn't made the playoffs for the last couple of years. Hopefully this year will be different.
stargazer

PreviousNext