This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The shot is up...and its good! General Sports Discussion

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: The shot is up...and its good! General Sports Discussion

Postby SnowAngel » Oct 24, 2016 2:18 pm

What a matchup for the World Series this year. I am totally rooting for the Cleveland Indians to beat the stuffing out the Cubs.

Down to the last four races of the Sprint Cup Chase. All of the JGR drivers have advanced to the round of 8 including my favorite, Carl Edwards. :) Right now, NASCAR is my favorite sport (until STL Cardinals baseball returns in February).

Hockey is just getting started, so far the St. Louis Blues have play 6 games and are 4-1-1. I got to watch the first game of the season and they look good. :D

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby stargazer » Oct 25, 2016 11:24 am

My brother is one of the most avid baseball fans I know, and I guess I picked a little of it up by osmosis. ;))

I'll be watching the World Series begin tonight. Not sure who I'm rooting for...the Indians represent my hometown team's division and haven't been there recently, but the Cubs haven't won since before my grandparents married. We'll see.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby daughter of the King » Nov 03, 2016 12:32 pm

Well, I normally don't bother much with sports outside of the Olympics, but my Dad grew up in Chicago so we all watched the World Series. Last night was extremely nerve-wracking even though I didn't care very much. ;)) A homerun to lead it off, and then tied in the ninth, followed by a rain delay. My mother, who usually starts nodding after 9pm was wide awake at 1am and kept apologizing for how loud her cheers were. ;))
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby fantasia » Nov 03, 2016 2:37 pm

Hahah, I didn't watch the World Series as I just don't care about baseball at all. But boy did my Facebook feed blow up last night. :))
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby stargazer » Nov 03, 2016 3:28 pm

Congrats to the Cubs! It was quite a finish. Dot, my mother, who also goes to bed fairly early (and doesn't really care about sports unless our teams are playing) also stayed up late (past midnight local time) to watch the finish.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby ValiantArcher » Nov 03, 2016 8:42 pm

I didn't get to watch the final game, but my parents (life-long Cubs fans) did, and my mom sent me messages almost every time there was an update. ;)) So even second-hand it was rather nerve-wracking for a background fan. We all went to bed before the 10th inning, sadly afraid it wasn't going to happen, so I was very happy to get an excited text from my mom this morning. ;))

I'm keeping half an eye on my college alma mater football team for a work football picks thing (the vast majority of the group shares the same college alma mater, so as long as one person updates their sheet each week, we're good ;)) ), and also half an eye on the Chicago Bears, when I remember. I just saw they won against the Minnesota Vikings, which is a surprise to me...oh, well, I wasn't counting on that point anyhow. :P ;)) I'm not in any danger of winning this year, but I've gotten a lot of picks correct, so I'm happy. ;)
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby SnowAngel » Nov 07, 2016 12:07 pm

I will be nice and congratulate all the Cubs fans on the forum. Congrats, Cubs fans. :) There, I did it and now I can go back to hating the Cubs. :-q

Carl Edwards won at Texas yesterday and is locked into the Championship 4! What an ending to that race! :-bd

The Blues are up and down right now. They have won two in a row, but had a couple of bad losses before that. Their next game is versus the Blackhawks and will be on TV, so I am looking forward watching the Blues play and hopefully win. :)

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Nov 10, 2016 3:39 pm

This is really belated, but I did watch most of the Cubs vs. Indians game. It was an amazing game!

I was rooting for the Cubs because I wanted to see the goat curse finally get broken (such a weird thing to write :))), and there are also some Cubs players that I couldn't help but root for: Jason Heyward and Munenori Kawasaki. Heyward was originally with the Braves for four years, so I was thrilled to see him win. (I pull for the Braves, but shhh, don't tell anyone because they've been awful recently. :P) Kawasaki is kind of legendary among baseball fans: he could barely speak English when he joined American baseball, but he never let that stop him from communicating his enthusiasm. ;)) (Here he is with his Japanese-English dictionary. :))) So I was happy to see him win with the Cubs, even though he wasn't on the roster for the postseason.

Contrary to how this post may make me appear, I'm not a HUGE baseball fan; that's my brother. :P I don't generally follow sports very closely, but when I do, I prefer watching faster-moving sports like college basketball and hockey. (Go Heels, go Canes. :D)
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby fantasia » Mar 18, 2017 4:04 pm

Anyone following the March Madness tournaments this year? I'm very loosely I suppose. ;))
I follow three teams.
University of Kansas (KU) - Best of the three Kansas teams and the one my niece attends.
Kansas State University (KSU) - My alma mater.
Wichita State University (WSU) - Close to where I live and I have tons and tons of friends who cheer them on and went there, including my mother-in-law.

All three played yesterday, KU and WSU won their games, but KSU lost.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby SnowAngel » Mar 19, 2017 8:38 pm

I haven't paid any attention to basketball recently since Mizzou has lost so many games. But Mizzou has a new coach now, so maybe next season I will actually have a winning team to root for.

Just two weeks until Opening Night baseball, can't wait for the Cardinals to beat the Cubs. :D My siblings and I have enjoyed watching two spring training games so far, at least one more spring training game will be nationally televised.

I really enjoyed watching Team USA win yesterday in the World Baseball Classic. That catch by Adam Jones was so awesome! B-)

And today I watched the later innings of Mizzou's game on SEC Network. Mizzou baseball is really good this year, as in 19 wins in 20 games kind of good which is more like great. Oh, and those are 19 consecutive wins. B-) They will be on SEC Network again on Saturday and you can bet I will be watching. :)

The St. Louis Blues have been down and then back up again in the last month, will be interesting to see if they can finish the season strong. Their play of late has been fairly strong, they had a good winning streak of 5 games followed by one lose and then two more wins.

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby SnowAngel » Mar 23, 2017 8:42 pm

USA!!! That was an awesome game yesterday. Marcus Stroman's pitching was just plain nasty. B-) Loved seeing Eric Hosmer playing first base. It was a lot of fun watching USA win gold in the WBC.

The Blues won again! Currently third in the Western Conference...with just a ten more regular season games left. :) Hard to believe I only started watching the Blues a little over a year ago.

Mizzou basketball is going to be interesting next season, especially if Michael Porter Jr. signs with the Tigers. *fingers crossed*

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby SnowAngel » Apr 17, 2017 12:04 pm

Baseball just sucks right now, (I think) it's a good thing this is start of the season for both of my teams. Seriously the Cardinals are 3-9, what on earth is wrong the team? I have watched several games this season, and when the pitching has been good the offense hasn't been there. Not getting hits with runners on second and third has to stop or the losing trend will continue....

But on the flip side hockey is super fun right now. The St. Louis Blues have a commanding 3-0 series lead over the Wild in the first round. B-) Jake Allen has been in beast mode for the whole series, some of the saves he has made were just astounding.

So, it looks like Mizzou will have a basketball team next season. Like a real team, how crazy is that?

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby AstroWolfD » Oct 13, 2017 4:53 pm

Well I am excited. After a super regular season and a nail biting but super awesome ALDS, my Houston Astros are just about ready to face off against the Yankees in game one of the ALCS! Last time the Astros were in this position was back in 05, my first year as a fan, so this is a big deal to me. And I'm ready to experience that all over again! Go Stros! :-bd
Avi and sig by the Wonderful wolfloversk

AROOOOOOO!!!
AstroWolfD
NarniaWeb Guru
Guard Wolf of the NW WC

Postby AstroWolfD » Oct 31, 2017 5:59 pm

I just feel the need to post something about this World Series. About my team. This has been an amazing ride. Win or lose, I won't be forgetting this run. Here's hoping for a historic Astros Series win tonight!!!
Avi and sig by the Wonderful wolfloversk

AROOOOOOO!!!
AstroWolfD
NarniaWeb Guru
Guard Wolf of the NW WC

Postby SnowAngel » Nov 03, 2017 5:31 pm

Congratulations to the Astros on being the 2017 World Champions! And the Astros fans on NarniaWeb! I am thrilled Carlos Beltran finally got that elusive victory. B-)

The St. Louis Blues are off to a hot start, currently 10-3-1 after a shutout loss yesterday. Jaden Schwartz has been good great so far. I have gotten to watch a couple of games on TV, so awesome. :D

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby stargazer » Nov 11, 2017 7:14 pm

Belated congrats to the Astros! Looks like there was quite a celebration down in Houston after their win.
stargazer

PreviousNext