Board Games!!!

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Board Games!!!

Postby SnowAngel » Nov 30, 2019 8:45 pm

Couple of questions for those who enjoy Settlers of Catan, do recommend the 5-6 player expansion? Which of the expansions is the most fun/worth the money? My siblings and I received the main game for Christmas this year and we were told to open it the day after Thanksgiving. We are really enjoying it, but would like to have 5-6 players instead of 4.

SnowAngel
Never spend your time in such a way that you would not
like to have God say, "What are you doing? - J.C. Ryle
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby daughter of the King » Dec 01, 2019 1:02 pm

The 5-6 player expansion makes the game take longer. It can be hard to have a bigger group if you all are just learning the game, but it's not a bad experience. If I remember right, the 5-6 player expansion only applies to the base game, so it can't be combined with other expansions. If you have a large enough group I would recommend getting a second copy of the base game and then switch off who plays in what group.

My favorite expansion is Seafarers. It introduces some fun elements that can make the game more fun if you want something extra, or (as my family has) you've been playing for at least ten years and desperately need some new scenarios to work with. :p The trouble with having an oldest brother who works in game design is that you end up playing a lot of niche games before they become popular. ;))

Taught the niece and nephew Dominion after Thanksgiving dinner. Had a tiny bit of trouble because niece is dyslexic so she had a hard time reading some of the cards and nephew is color-blind so we had to remember to identify victory cards by the symbol instead of just calling them green cards, but we had fun.
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby mm1991 » Dec 15, 2019 8:12 pm

We have a game board version of Oregon Trail. I think it's funny but no one likes to play with me because it's just like the computer game - everyone usually dies before anyone can get to the oregon town. =))
"Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you!"
- Dr. Seuss

mm1991
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Previous