This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Board Games!!!

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Board Games!!!

Postby Shadowlander » May 13, 2011 5:27 am

Feel free to discuss your favorite boardgames here, from Clue (or Cluedo to our British/Australian friends) to Risk to Monopoly! And feel free to include card games such as Uno or Rummy. :)

I have a real affinity for board games and have been playing them faithfully since I was very young. I know most folks likely don't have much experience with boardgames outside of the standard fare one might find at their local Wal-Mart or Target. As much as I love the hobby I have quite a ways to go before I can call myself anything close to "experienced" in it. So if all you are used to is Sorry! or Monopoly, feel free to put down your thoughts and fond memories of those games to your hearts' content. :)

And answer a few questions too while you're here! :D

1. What is your favorite board game?
2. What piece do you prefer to play with in Monopoly?
3. Trivial Pursuit: Love it or hate it?
4. What three boardgames would you take with you if you were deserted on an island?
5. What color do you like to use? (pawn, token, armies, etc.)
6. Who do you like to play as for Clue (or Cluedo)?
7. Given the choice would you rather play a game that exercises your brain (like Chess, Mahjong, or Go) or is more simple fun or has storytelling elements (like Life, Battleship, or Sorry!)?
8. Chess or Checkers?
9. Name a board game you've always wanted to play but never got around to:
10. What board game do you play more than any other?

Now no one freak out on me here, but this is my current game collection in its shelves (minus Ticket to Ride, Pandemic, and Clue, which are over at my parents' house ;))).

It looks like a lot but it's not as many as you'd think. I've seen people with collections of up to 2,500 board games! Suffice it to say my lovely Wifester thinks I have too many. =))
Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Re: Board Games!!!

Postby wolfloversk » May 13, 2011 6:16 am

Ok before I start on the questions I'm gonna say I abesolutey love Rummikub and Trouble...

1. What is your favorite board game? Hah! Failed to see that... well Rummikub, Trouble, and Scattegories are all up there
2. What piece do you prefer to play with in Monopoly? Man, I'm not even sure if I remember what pieces there are... um there's a dog right?
3. Trivial Pursuit: Love it or hate it? Love it, but it hates me ;)
4. What three boardgames would you take with you if you were deserted on an island? See # 1
5. What color pawn do you like to use? Umm.. purple, blue, or green depending on what's available
6. Who do you like to play as for Clue (or Cluedo)? Never played it
7. Given the choice would you rather play a game that exercises your brain (like Chess, Mahjong, or Go) or is more simple fun or has storytelling elements (like Life, Battleship, or Sorry!)? Ummm... oh dear... I like both too much. It depends on how much work I already did that day.
8. Chess or Checkers? Chess
9. Name a board game you've always wanted to play but never got around to: I think its called Pictonary
10. What board game do you play more than any other? ooi... um not counting the computer versions, probably yatzee or rummikub, counting them Mahjong :P
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby fantasia » May 13, 2011 6:40 am

Oh man... start off with a hard one why don't you? Well, interestingly enough, I don't play many board games, though I do play what Hasbro's website dubs Party Games, so for the sake of this thread, I'm going to include those.
I really like Scattegories, Cranium (that's got a board!!!), Pictionary, Pit (yay Pit!!!!), Taboo, but I think the number one game I love that's really a card game that uses a board, is Cribbage :D . My grandpa taught me how to play it before he passed away so that one is extra special.

Funny story about Monopoly. I've never played a game of it, or at least a full game of it. When we were little my dad thought that the real game was entirely too long and so we'd play til all of the deeds were purchased and whoever had the most deeds won.... or something like that. ;)) In answer to your question, I don't really have a favorite piece, but I think the shoe is probably the one I used the most.

If it's a version from an era in which I was alive, I like it quite a lot. Unfortunately the one I play the most is my parents version which is like from the 60s and 70s. :P

4. What three boardgames would you take with you if you were deserted on an island?
Are there going to be other people there with me?

5. What color pawn do you like to use?
Neither. :P

Colonel Mustard

7. Given the choice would you rather play a game that exercises your brain (like Chess, Mahjong, or Go) or is more simple fun or has storytelling elements (like Life, Battleship, or Sorry!)?
This isn't answering your question, but I tend to prefer a game with an element of luck tied in with strategy. I also tend to prefer games that last under two hours. ;))

8. Chess or Checkers?
I dislike them equally. ;))

My family and friends actually have quite an extensive collection of games, I can't think of any that I haven't played that I've always wanted to.

As far as quantity goes, toss up between Cribbage and Battleship I think. And when I was little, I remember playing a lot of Chutes and Ladders (I think that one's been renamed) and Hi Ho Cherry-O.
But as far as sheer time spent on a game, it's gotta be my dad's favorite called Empire Builder (similar to Rail baron). I'd like this one a lot more if it was shorter but a game can run anywhere between 3-6 hours long.

Hey Shadowlander, I can't see it on your shelf (though there's a lot of games there I can't make out) but have you ever played Stratego? I bet that would be right up your ally! :D

ETA:
My simulposting buddy, AKA wolf wrote:6. Who do you like to play as for Clue (or Cluedo)? Never played it
You're missing out. You've gotta try this one when you get a chance, it's loads of fun. :D

ETA2:
Shadowlander wrote:And feel free to include card games such as Uno or Rummy.
I missed this bit at the top. The number one game I've played more than any other is the card game Pitch. Family tradition and all that. ;)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Shadowlander » May 13, 2011 7:59 am

I guess I should kinda do this myself, eh? :))

1. What is your favorite board game? Battletech, but Axis and Allies is a close second
2. What piece do you prefer to play with in Monopoly? the top hat
3. Trivial Pursuit: Love it or hate it? LOVE it ;)) I'm a bona fide trivia junkie
4. What three boardgames would you take with you if you were deserted on an island? I'd need to be long so it'd take up time but still unique each game: Battletech, Axis & Allies, and HeroQuest
5. What color pawn do you like to use? Blue!
6. Who do you like to play as for Clue (or Cluedo)? Colonel Mustard. If he's not available then Professor Plum
7. Given the choice would you rather play a game that exercises your brain (like Chess, Mahjong, or Go) or is more simple fun or has storytelling elements (like Life, Battleship, or Sorry!)? A storytelling game :D
8. Chess or Checkers? Chess, though I'm much better at Checkers ;))
9. Name a board game you've always wanted to play but never got around to: Scotland Yard
10. What board game do you play more than any other? Ticket to Ride, although Clue and Sorry! are both close seconds...

fantasia kitty wrote:...the number one game I love that's really a card game that uses a board, is Cribbage :D . My grandpa taught me how to play it before he passed away so that one is extra special.

Cribbage is a mystery to me...I have two Cribbage boards, a traditional one and some super cool looking Golf Cribbage thing...

I initially thought it was kind of a race game or something but I'm told that the pegs are just used for scoring. One of these days I'm going to learn how to play it though. :D

fantasia kitty wrote:Funny story about Monopoly. I've never played a game of it, or at least a full game of it.

Few people have. The game is unbearably long and unconscionably boring beyond the first two turns. I'm told that almost everyone plays it wrong (Free Parking, etc) and that if played right it's not supposed to go longer than 1 1/2 hours. I say the game could be 5 minutes long and it'd still be one of the most boring board games in existence with a topic so dull that only an accountant (and a bored one at that) could take a shine to it. But Monopoly does two things really well...first it adapts itself well as a McDonalds annual prize game (who doesn't visit McD's 500% more when Monopoly is in town??? ;))) and it takes on new identities and skins as well, which is why you have everything from Wizard of Oz Monopoly to Harry Potter Monopoly to Plumber Monopoly.

You know, one could feasibly create Narniaweb Monopoly....;))

fantasia wrote:Are there going to be other people there with me?

For sake of argument let's say "yes". B-)

fantasia wrote:But as far as sheer time spent on a game, it's gotta be my dad's favorite called Empire Builder (similar to Rail baron). I'd like this one a lot more if it was shorter but a game can run anywhere between 3-6 hours long.

I found it! This one?

And 3-6 hours is definitely my bread and butter! If a game goes that long it crosses the boundary into Epic. B-)

fantasia wrote:Hey Shadowlander, I can't see it on your shelf (though there's a lot of games there I can't make out) but have you ever played Stratego? I bet that would be right up your ally!

I've got two copies of it! My original copy from 1986 and my nephew's copy from 1988. They're kinda different from the ones you can get today and the numbering system is all backwards (the Marshal used to be a 1 but is now a 9, Scout used to be a 9 and is now a 1). I love Stratego! But no one will play it with me. :(

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby FencerforJesus » May 13, 2011 8:25 am

Stratego was a favorite of mine back in the day. I have the original and the Star Wars and LOTR versions. The special versions have pieces with 'special moves' and I don't like the LOTR ones because they are lopsided. Good guys are too powerful. I too remember that the numbering system changed. I prefered it when the Marshall was the 1, not then 10 that it is now.

Something fun I did for my Artificial Intelligence project for this semeser was Connect-4. I actually designed a program that allowed you to play against an opponent. It doesn't work perfectly but my AI is much better than I expected. Might go back to it later and tweak it more or do chess or checkers.
Be watching for the release of my spiritual warfare novel under a new title: "Call to Arms" by OakTara Publishing. A sequel (title TBD) will shortly follow.
FencerforJesus
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Thenin » May 13, 2011 1:48 pm

BOARD GAME? Probably Monopoly, Aggravation or Tripoly (the three-board monopoly version). I have to say my favorite game is Uno.

2. What piece do you prefer to play with in Monopoly? Depends on the version. My families main version is an anniversary one, so that is that would be the train. (although I am quite found of the coke-bottle in Tripoly.)

3. Trivial Pursuit: Love it or hate it? Could go either way.

4. What three boardgames would you take with you if you were deserted on an island? Umm.. Bonanza, Apples to Apples and a simple deck of cards. (can come up with multiple games then!)

5. What color pawn do you like to use? Yellow!

6. Who do you like to play as for Clue (or Cluedo)? Colonel Mustard

7. Given the choice would you rather play a game that exercises your brain (like Chess, Mahjong, or Go) or is more simple fun or has storytelling elements (like Life, Battleship, or Sorry!)? Probably Story telling.

8. Chess or Checkers? Umm..I always lose, so neither.

9. Name a board game you've always wanted to play but never got around to: Time Machine. A two player card game that belongs to my sister.

10. What board game do you play more than any other? Catan or Monopoly.
Thenin
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby DamselJillPole » May 13, 2011 2:47 pm

Monopoly, Candyland, Sorry, Mousetrap and Chess are the only board games I ever played and I love them all.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby SnowAngel » May 13, 2011 2:51 pm

fantasia_kitty wrote:but I think the number one game I love that's really a card game that uses a board, is Cribbage :D .
Cribbage is favorite at our house, we almost never go on a trip without a Cribbage board and a deck of cards. :)

1. What is your favorite board game? Domination or Sequence.

2. What piece do you prefer to play with in Monopoly? When I was little, I always used the dog. Now I usually use the iron. :)

3. Trivial Pursuit: Love it or hate it? I don't know what that is.

4. What three boardgames would you take with you if you were deserted on an island? Domination, Sequence, and a deck of cards.

5. What color pawn do you like to use? Blue or green.

6. Who do you like to play as for Clue (or Cluedo)? Mrs. White. ;;)

7. Given the choice would you rather play a game that exercises your brain (like Chess, Mahjong, or Go) or is more simple fun or has storytelling elements (like Life, Battleship, or Sorry!)? A storytelling game. :)

8. Chess or Checkers? Neither.

9. Name a board game you've always wanted to play but never got around to: I can't think of one.

10. What board game do you play more than any other? Right now, Ten Days in Europe or Domination.

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby fantasia » May 13, 2011 3:47 pm

SL wrote:5. What color pawn do you like to use?
Clearly, based on everybody else's answers, I assumed the wrong game for this question. I was thinking of black and white chess pieces, so I'm gonna need some clarification on this one. ;)) Sorry perhaps?

SL wrote:I found it! This one?
That would be the one. :D His game cover looks a little different, but I have no idea how many iterations of Empire Builders there are in the universe. I think there's a European and Asian version of the game, but don't quote me on that. I've not played those.

SL wrote:(who doesn't visit McD's 500% more when Monopoly is in town??? ;)) )
Guilty as charged. ;)) Though not as much as when it was first introduced. I usually win free fries. Ooooohhh... aaaaahhhhh. :P

SL wrote:For sake of argument let's say "yes".
Like others have mentioned, a deck of cards and my Cribbage board, Yatzee (that game never gets old), and um..... Monopoly. Hey, why not? Got lots of free time, maybe I'll be able to play a full game. ;))

As a side note, I can't believe how popular Colonel Mustard is. ;))
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Shadowlander » May 13, 2011 4:05 pm

Fencer wrote:Stratego was a favorite of mine back in the day. I have the original and the Star Wars and LOTR versions. The special versions have pieces with 'special moves' and I don't like the LOTR ones because they are lopsided. Good guys are too powerful. I too remember that the numbering system changed. I prefered it when the Marshall was the 1, not then 10 that it is now.

I have heard of both those versions and the unique piece abilities, but I've never gotten the chance to play them. :( But original Stratego was played so much at my house the pieces started to wear off a bit. ;)) Here's the old Stratego commercial that used to come on TV on Saturday mornings.

Thenin wrote:Name a board game you've always wanted to play but never got around to: Time Machine. A two player card game that belongs to my sister.

That sounds interesting...it's a card game? How does it play? :)

SnowAngel!! :ymapplause: You know there's at least two Tom Clancy board games, right? The Hunt for Red October and Red Storm Rising. :D

The cool thing is that I've read you can combine the two games together and make a massive NATO - Warsaw Pact WW3 scenario covering the North Atlantic and Europe, just like in the book. B-) Well, figured since you were a Clancy fan and all...;))

SnowAngel wrote:3. Trivial Pursuit: Love it or hate it? I don't know what that is.

Trivial Pursuit is a game designed in the late 70's or early 80's (depends on who one asks) for up to 6 players. Each player has a circular "pie" piece with 6 slots in it. You go around the board and attempt to answer questions in one of 6 categories; History, Geography, Arts & Literature, Sports & Leisure, Entertainment, and Wild Card. Should a player correctly answer a question on specific spots on the board they receive a colored piece of pie to put in their token. When all 6 different colors are collected they go to the center of the board and attempt to answer the final question. :D If you like Jeopardy, you'd probably like Trivial Pursuit. :)

I've seen copies of Sequence at the thrift store. If it's as good as you say I might finally give in and pick it up ;)). Not familiar with Domination, but Ten Days in Europe appears to be a really popular game as well. Did you know there's a Ten Days in Asia, Africa, and US too? :D

fantasia wrote:Clearly, based on everybody else's answers, I assumed the wrong game for this question. I was thinking of black and white chess pieces, so I'm gonna need some clarification on this one. ;)) Sorry perhaps?

Doh! Well, most games usually have some sort of colored token or armies, typically primary colors or what not...but what am I telling you this for, you already know that! ;)) So what's your favorite color to play with I guess is the better question. :)

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby Kate » May 13, 2011 4:57 pm

Oh my goodness SL, you have Masterpiece. :-o We have my mom's copy from when she was a girl and we love it, but I've never seen it anywhere else.

My family are big game people and I grew up playing games every week with my sister and our two neighbors down the street. So many wonderful memories. :D

This is so difficult, but probably in the long run, Settlers of Catan. (Or Clue!)
The battleship.
My friends and I love the absurdity of it. We have the 70s or 80s version, so we don't know any of the answers other than the literature, geography, and history ones. We had to change the rules to any time you get a question right, whether it's on the designated spot or not, you get a pie slice.
4. What three boardgames would you take with you if you were deserted on an island? Settlers, Clue, and Quelf (Quelf would be complete madness on an island)
White, always white.
In keeping with #5, always Mrs. White
(Although one year, my friends and I dressed up as the suspects from Clue for Halloween and the costumes were dependent on who could fit into them, so I was Mr. Green. With the Candlestick.)
7. Given the choice would you rather play a game that exercises your brain (like Chess, Mahjong, or Go) or is more simple fun or has storytelling elements (like Life, Battleship, or Sorry!)? Oh, a mix of both. Scotland Yard is brain bending and story-telling.
8. Chess or Checkers?
I guess Chess. It's more interesting, but I'm terrible at it.
9. Name a board game you've always wanted to play but never got around to: I don't know, but last time I was home I played a new game with my sisters called The Farming Game, but we didn't finish it. I'd like to actually finish sometime.
10. What board game do you play more than any other? Either Balderdash or Settlers of Catan

SL: We really must have a game night sometime and we will have to play Scotland Yard and 221B Baker Street. :D

Fencer: Anytime anyone says Connect 4, I can't help but think of Connect 4 Million! (Warning: Lost Spoilers)
Kate
Moderator Emeritus
DJ Mod

Postby georgiefan1 » May 13, 2011 11:18 pm

I have a love for Candyland :p
the car
love it!
Sorry, Candyland and Scene it
when it comes to Sorry, I am always green
Ms. Scarlet! (also lets add this to my favorites, I completely forgot about this game!)
simple games
8. Chess or Checkers?
that one is hard.....probabally chess
Mousetrap!
I play Clue and Sorry the most probabally

and I have a question, is your Othello game based off the play Othello?
NW twin to Georgiefan! NW sib to 22!
avvie by AslansChild thank you!!!
georgiefan1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Kate » May 14, 2011 1:17 am

Georgiefan: I used to cheat at candyland and my friend and I would rig the deck so my dad got Plumpy every time. ;)
Scene it is a good pick. Now you can watch movies on your deserted island!

I can see why you would want to play Mousetrap, but never buy it. Play someone else's. It's interesting the very first time you play it and then totally boring every time after that.
Kate
Moderator Emeritus
DJ Mod

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » May 14, 2011 1:52 am

I'm going to have to say I have a love/relationship with Monopoly. I've played it many times and enjoy it most of the time. But sometimes the games go on too long. The longest game I've played of Monopoly was 18 hours long (over several days). The longest game I've played in one day was 10 hours. :)

There are many games I haven't included below - Mousetrap is one of them. Great little game - when everything works properly.

I have two. Risk and The Settlers of Catan.

The Scottish dog.

Haven't played it much but I enjoyed it.

Risk, The Settlers of Catan and Taboo

What question is this in relation too?

Colonel Mustard

I'm not sure. I love thought-provoking games but not ones that require logic (eg. Bohnanza frustrated me to no-end. I hated it. Still, there's a time for both kinds of games.

8. Chess or Checkers?
Chess is more interesting but I'm only able to play Checkers (I don't understand the former game).

The other games in The Settlers of Catan series.

Currently? Risk. In my childhood? Monopoly.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby Silver the Wanderer » May 14, 2011 5:12 am

1. What is your favorite board game? Do card games count? ;)) I love Apples to Apples. But if we're talking literal BOARD games, I'd have to go with chess. I love how much thinking is involved to win.

2. What piece do you prefer to play with in Monopoly? The dog! Yes, I'm always the dog. ;)

3. Trivial Pursuit: Love it or hate it? Never played it. ;) But seeing as I'm really bad at trivia, probably hate.

4. What three boardgames would you take with you if you were deserted on an island? But if the island is deserted, that means there's no one there! And if there's no one there, then there's no one to play against me! And if there's no one to play against me, then I'm going to have to play against myself! And if I play against myself for days/weeks/months/years on end, I'm going to go mad eventually. 8-}

But if we're just presenting this question for theoretical purposes only, I suppose I'd go with Monopoly (it'll last me a LONG time), Apples to Apples (so I can study some vocabulary words), and chess (so I can be like the man from that one Pixar Short-film and play an intense game against myself. ;)) )

5. What color pawn do you like to use?In chess, white. In any other game, blue.

6. Who do you like to play as for Clue (or Cluedo)? I haven't played in so long that I don't really know.

7. Given the choice would you rather play a game that exercises your brain (like Chess, Mahjong, or Go) or is more simple fun or has storytelling elements (like Life, Battleship, or Sorry!)? It depends on the mood I'm in, I guess, and the people I'm playing against. Usually, I'll go with the brain exercises.

8. Chess or Checkers? Chess! :D

9. Name a board game you've always wanted to play but never got around to: Risk. It looks awesome, but I've never played it before.

10. What board game do you play more than any other? Well, when I was little, games like Candy Land and Chutes and Ladders got played a lot. Nowadays, it's probably chess.
Av and Sig by Aravis Autarkeia

Silver the Wanderer
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » May 14, 2011 5:22 am

Chutes and Ladders? What kind of rubbish title is that? We call it Snakes and Ladders. Also, it's Cluedo, not Clue. (And while we're at it, it's Where's Wally?, not Where's Waldo?). :p
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Next