This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Special Feature: Smallville

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Special Feature: Smallville

Postby briofthesilversea » Sep 10, 2009 6:18 pm

Smallville, based on the life of Clark Kent (aka, Superman), is a well known TV series, starring Tom Welling, Allison Mack, Kristin Kreuk, and Michael Rosenbaum. Wether Clark Kent is saving Lana Lang from the bad guys, or just pretending to be an average highschool boy, Smallville is sure to capture the heart of....well, at least the fans ;) So, thus begins the special feature where you can discuss this wonderful TV show. All forum rules apply :) Enjoy!

briofthesilversea
briofthesilversea
NarniaWeb Junkie

Re: Special Feature: Smallville

Postby TheGeneral » Sep 10, 2009 7:33 pm

Smallville! I watched that show for about 3 years during high school, but haven't in a long time. I miss it, it was usually pretty interesting. Sometimes it was just a tad, I don't know, wishy washy? But overall, good ;)
TheGeneral
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Rising_Star » Sep 10, 2009 8:07 pm

I really liked the early seasons of Smallville, where there was a new meteor freak every episode and we got to see all kinds of interesting powers. Nowadays it's really gone down the soap opera aisle. Lana was/is so annoying, and Clark can never figure out what to do, there's constantly some kind of love triangle going on . . . really the only redeeming factor in this show for me right now is Chloe. She's the reason I'm going to be watching this last season (that and the hopes that Bart Allen will make another appearance ;) :P).

Has anyone else noticed that all of Lana's boyfriends have either ended up going crazy/evil or dying? Or going crazy/evil and dying? That's just a little too much drama for me. She seemed to have a new guy almost every season! At least Chloe stuck with one boy for all those seasons.

P.S."Brooklyn!"
Rising_Star
Moderator Emeritus
NarniaWeb's Resident Hunter

Postby Lion's Emblem » Sep 10, 2009 11:43 pm

Oh yeah for Smallville. I didn't really know of it in it's early seasons (which I'm greatly disappointed about), but I have really enjoyed watching the last few seasons. I especially like when the other superheroes come in to play, like Green Arrow, Zatanna, and Supergirl. Some of the dialogue and editing gets a bit cheesy and annoying (ever notice how those big dramatic pauses seem to sit on screen forever before a commercial break? [-( )

I totally agree Rising_Star. Chloe has to be one of my favorite characters.

Is there going to be another season and when is it supposed to start? I thought I knew for awhile there, but there hasn't been any sort of preview or anything for Smallville on the CW.
Sig by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NWsis to eves_daughter & ForeverFan
Lion's Emblem
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby briofthesilversea » Sep 11, 2009 9:09 am

The new season has started on CW. I don't think that it has been on for long, though. Only a few episodes. I just recently got my television back, so I will be watching it tonight! It's on on Fridays, I believe :) Hope that helps.I liked the old episodes better, also. And Chloe is one of my favorites as well! I'm not a huge fan of Lana, but Clark is pretty awesome :ymblushing: Pete is cool. (he's from the older seasons...like the first 3)
briofthesilversea
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Avra » Sep 11, 2009 9:36 am

Ah, Smallville! My faaavorite show! :D
The ninth season premieres Friday Sep. 25. Here's the official trailer
The way I like to describe Smallville is that it is a hit and miss show: it's either way off target or right smack in the gold. The whole Lana/Clark rollercoster got really annoying really quickly, but when they focus on the more iconic Superman aspects (Clark's powers, Kryptonian heritage, Lois--love her quick fire wit!--, future Justice League, battling the baddies), I can get really, really obsessed with the show.

I do miss Jonathan Kent being on the show! Although John Jones/the Martian Manhunter is doing a good job of filling in the role of an older male (not to mention corporeal) mentor; now if he'd only have more screen time...
Sheldon: A neutron walks into a bar and asks how much for a drink. The bartender replies "for you, no charge".

Proud sister of an Aspie (Aspergers)
Hannah's Scribblings
Avra
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby briofthesilversea » Sep 11, 2009 10:14 am

Scratch what I said earlier. I guess last week they just showed an episode of the new season yet didn't premier it? Because it was first episode of the ninth season :-\ Oh well, it's the Vampire Diaries tonight, so no Smallville :(
briofthesilversea
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Avra » Sep 11, 2009 10:44 am

briofthesilversea, I believe the CW is showing reruns of season 8, to bring everybody up to speed. We have to wait 2 weeks for season 9...my TV had better be working by then!
Which are everybody's favorite characters? Mine would be Clark, Lois, Jonathan and Oliver Queen.
Sheldon: A neutron walks into a bar and asks how much for a drink. The bartender replies "for you, no charge".

Hannah's Scribblings
Avra
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Rising_Star » Sep 11, 2009 10:56 am

Yeah, Lana's just plain annoying. :P But I agree that the Superman aspects and tie-ins are really cool. :D

My favorites are Chloe Sullivan, Lois Lane, Jonathan Kent, Bart Allen, and Oliver Queen. I also liked Pete and was sad they booted him off the show. It was cool to see him come back for that one episode though. I really felt bad for him. He was always playing second fiddle to Clark and Chloe.

Anything with the future Justice League is awesome. One of my all-time favorite episodes is "Justice" from season 6. Seeing them all come together like that was just great. :D

Ryan James from episodes "Stray" and "Ryan" was how I got my nickname "Ryan" on here actually. He was my favorite "side-character," and I asked qwertykate88 to make me some graphics of him. Here and here. Someone (I don't remember who) saw the name "Ryan" on the avatar and thought it was my username. :P I told them that I didn't mind being called Ryan (as it is my favorite name) and it stuck.

Of course than he had to die. Because all my favorite characters die. Especially ones named Ryan. :P

I also liked Jimmy Olsen. Although it's interesting that he's not the *real* Jimmy Olsen. He was too old anyway, but I thought they had just bent time like they did with Lois and Clark (you know, how they weren't supposed to meet each other until after Clark started working at the Daily Planet?).

P.S."Brooklyn!"
Rising_Star
Moderator Emeritus
NarniaWeb's Resident Hunter

Postby Avra » Sep 11, 2009 11:36 am

Justice, now there was a really good episode!
In that scene right after the future JL blows up 33.1, those guys just look way too pleased with themselves!
Poor Ryan (character, not NWebber). I liked him too. It's sad how minor (and even major) characters who learn Clark's secret usually wind up dead. I mean, they even killed my favorite recurring character (Raya) twice! oh, well; at least she died well both times.
Have you seen the DVD commentary on a couple of season 8's episodes? Everybody was talking (rather loudly, too) about how they are going to miss both Jimmy--er, Henry James Olsen-- and Aaron Ashmore, the actor who played him. Didn't really sound like the Smallville cast and crew is particularly pleased that DC comics was making a fuss about him being the wrong age and such.

I'm very happy this Special Feature was opened. I get the feeling I was driving my family loony while impatiently waiting for the new season, and most of the Smallville message boards... don't have nearly as high a quality enviroment as NarniaWeb. Now I get to drive you guys crazy!! :ymsmug:

Hannah's Scribblings
Avra
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby briofthesilversea » Sep 11, 2009 11:47 am

Ok, that makes more sense! I think that CW had the name of the episode confused, because I read on their site and the name of the episode they aired last week was the name of the first episode of the ninth season. AND it had been messed up anyway...or at least my TV guide was messed up. lol

I still remember the very first episode I watched of Smallville...X-ray. Oh, that was great! Lol! I wasn't that thrilled about the series back then, I was just sick and bored so I watched it. I think that one was one of the first seasons, actually!
briofthesilversea
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby ALittleMoreSonic » Sep 12, 2009 8:26 am

I just discovered Smallville this summer, so I've been doing some catching up. I haven't quite got to the fifth season yet, but hopefully I'll catch up... maybe by the end of the year? It's pretty interesting, but I do prefer the (to use X-files terms) 'myth-arc' to the average 'monster of the week' episode. Sometimes the MOTW is good (especially the early ones like the boy who stole Clark's powers in a lightning strike and shapeshifting girl) but usually it just feels like the same episode just with different characters.

My favorite story arc so far was the Lex-is-insane arc. That was fascinating.
ALittleMoreSonic
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Lion's Emblem » Sep 12, 2009 9:47 pm

Thank you for posting a link to the Ninth Season trailer Avra. Ninth season looks good B-) . I'll definitely have to mark the calendar for the 25th. My favorite characters... are the one's that never stay very long: Kara Kent and the one episode wonder Zatanna. As for opening crediters, my favorites have to be Clark and Chloe. I look forward to the new faces we'll be seeing this season.
Sig by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NWsis to eves_daughter & ForeverFan
Lion's Emblem
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Avra » Sep 13, 2009 11:53 am

You're welcome. :)
This going to sound odd, especially coming from sucker-for-happy-endings-me, but the last time Smallville took a dark turn, back at the end of season 2
when Clark ran away to Metropolis
, it got really good imo. I'm definately looking forward to s9!

Hannah's Scribblings
Avra
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby johobbit » Sep 21, 2009 7:08 pm

Please note that this Special Feature will be closed on Thursday evening of this week.
johobbit