This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Special Feature: author Karen Kingsbury

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

How many Karen Kingsbury books have you read?

1-4
38%
5-10
No votes
10-20
25%
20+
25%
Every single one ever published
13%

Total votes : 8

Special Feature: author Karen Kingsbury

Postby SnowAngel » Sep 08, 2009 5:20 pm

This special feature is for discussing about Karen Kingsbury's works. Two of her books are currently being made into movies: Like Dandelion Dust and Gideon's Gift.

I have read all of the Red Glove series, the last couple books in the Firstborn series, all of the Sunrise series, Take One, and various other stand-alones. Can't say which book has been my favorite, yet, although I am anxiously awaiting the release of Like Dandelion Dust the movie. B-) It might end up my favorite KK book - I tend to like books-made-into-movies as I can then visualize the characters better.

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Re: Special Feature: author Karen Kingsbury

Postby Scarlet_Trefoil » Sep 08, 2009 5:52 pm

I'm in the "20+" category, but I can't really brag about how many of Mrs. K's books I've read because I get sucked into the story and can't put it down! :D The Baxter series, all three, were especially difficult not to finish in one day. It gets worse as the stories continue as I now "know" so many Bloomington residents! :-o I am waiting in agony for the rest of the Above the Line series to be published so as to see who Bailey Flanigan will choose to marry.

My favorite books, though, are her Women of Faith series, A Time to Dance and A Time to Embrace. I prefer them mainly because John and Abby are such vivid characters, but the plot (hurting couple on the verge of divorce) is also fresher in this little series.

~Scarlet
Av by Wunderkind_Lucy & Sig by flambeau
President of the Come What May Club - PM me to join!
Scarlet_Trefoil
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby NaiadWaker » Sep 09, 2009 4:06 pm

Oh wow. This is a very good topic. Karen Kingsbury is such a good author! I read Waiting for Sunrise and was overwhelmed with emotion! That one is my favorite, along with Where Yesterday Lives.
I can't wait to read the rest of the Above the Line series, too!
NaiadWaker
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Silvertongue » Sep 09, 2009 4:18 pm

I've only ever read "Even Now" and "Ever After" by her...which "Ever After" totally made me cry. *sniffs* And it's a rare book that makes ME cry! :P
Image Image Image
Silvertongue
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby NaiadWaker » Sep 09, 2009 4:56 pm

Oh, Ever After was really good too! That was such a well written book! I cried too! !!!
NaiadWaker
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby princess_of_narnia » Sep 10, 2009 2:34 pm

I choose "Every Single One Published", but that wasn't quite true. I haven't read two of the "Red Glove" series, and one other single title. Plus I've never read any of her children's books, but I was assuming that those didn't count in the survey.
As Scarlet_Trefoil mentioned, you just get sucked into her books, and they are hard to put down.
The Baxter series (Redemption, Firstborn, Sunrise, and Above the Line) are more like a tv series than anything else. Once you get to know the characters, you love thme, and want to know everything htat happens to them. Even Karen herself can't stop writing about them (she tried three different times :p ). And I also can't wait to see who Bailey will marry, though I'm certain it's Cody.
As much as I like the ever continuing Baxter series, my favorite series has to be the Cody Gunner series. Those books are so chalked full of emotion! But the most emotional book of hers that I have read is Ever After. She builds up the romance through the first half of the book and then kills off the main character. :(( I was so mad at her that I vowed never to read anymore of her books...I eventually got over it. :p
Has anyone ever noticed the similarities between the Kingsbury family and the fictional Flannigans?
Sig by ski_hi_flier Avvy by campgirl
princess_of_narnia
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby SnowAngel » Sep 10, 2009 5:39 pm

princess_of_narnia wrote:Has anyone ever noticed the similarities between the Kingsbury family and the fictional Flannigans?
Yep, pretty cool. B-)

I haven't read Ever After, but I have read Even Now. Even Now was pretty hard to read, so I'm not sure I want to read Ever After.

I started reading the Redemption series, but books 3, 4, & 5 haven't been at the library when I've been there. Urgh. Hopefully they'll be in the next time I'm there. :)

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby Scarlet_Trefoil » Sep 18, 2009 11:19 am

princess_of_narnia wrote:As much as I like the ever continuing Baxter series, my favorite series has to be the Cody Gunner series. Those books are so chalked full of emotion!
I liked those a lot, too. But I shed buckets of tears while reading A Thousand Tomorrows :(( , so I think overall I prefer Just Beyond the Clouds. The company that directed/produced Like Dandelion Dust supposedly has the screen rights to A Thousand Tomorrows, according to their website, http://www.downesbrothers.com/. The real question is, who should they cast as Cody and Ally?

~Scarlet
Scarlet_Trefoil
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby johobbit » Sep 21, 2009 7:16 pm

Please note that this Special Feature will be closing on (EDIT) Friday of this week.
johobbit

Postby daughter of the King » Sep 23, 2009 5:58 pm

Baily is going to marry Cody. It's that simple. :D
I've read the all of the Baxter series, Like Dandelion Dust, When Joy Came to Stay, Even Now and Ever After, A Time to Dance and A Time to Embrace, A Thousand Tomorrows(that one brought tears), I don't remember how many others. They're all good.
I noticed the similarity between the Flannigans and her family too.
I am eagerly anticipating the movie version of Like Dandelion Dust, but the one I really want to see is Redemption.
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby Scarlet_Trefoil » Sep 24, 2009 5:48 pm

daughter of the King wrote:Bailey is going to marry Cody. It's that simple. :D

I know, but I surely wish she'd hurry up and at least let them be engaged! *agonizing sigh* It's bad enough that Bailey is still dating Tim as of Take One (not that I really dislike Tim, Cody just has more depth).

Oooo, I'd love to see any and all of the Baxter books made into movies...but who in the world would be able to *be* the characters?

~Scarlet
Scarlet_Trefoil
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Scarlet_Trefoil » Sep 25, 2009 11:56 am

SnowAngel found the Shades of Blue trailer last night. :-o B-) It has to be the best book trailer I have seen to date. I think I can forgive Mrs. K now for not finishing the Above Line series before writing another stand-alone. ;;)

~Scarlet
Scarlet_Trefoil
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby SnowAngel » Sep 25, 2009 5:36 pm

Scarlet_Trefoil wrote:SnowAngel found the Shades of Blue trailer last night. :-o B-) It has to be the best book trailer I have seen to date.
I would have posted it last night, but it was getting late and I needed to go to bed. i-)

Scarlet_Trefoil wrote:I think I can forgive Mrs. K now for not finishing the Above Line series before writing another stand-alone. ;;)
I have to second that, because that has to be the best book trailer I have ever seen. B-) :)

I still haven't gotten read the any more of the Redemption series. :( Maybe this week. :)

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby daughter of the King » Sep 25, 2009 7:45 pm

Awesome trailer! Okay, now I can wait for Take Three too.
Read them as soon as you possibly can SnowAngel. Keep your kleenex handy. Hey, does anyone else think that "pass the kleenex" should be a catchphrase for Karen Kingsbury books?
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot