This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Past Movies: Part Deux

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Past Movies: Part Deux

Postby Ithilwen » Jul 04, 2014 10:07 pm

PrinceCor004 wrote:I'm not sure if I've said it here or not, but TDKR truly feels like it was not meant to be the film we got.

It's the film we needed. Not the film we deserved. B-)

On a serious note, Batman Begins is my favorite of the trilogy. TDKR is probably my least favorite as well.

Overall, I really liked Nolan's Bat-verse, and I wish we could have gotten more than just three films.

~Izzy =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby Reepicheep775 » Jul 05, 2014 2:53 pm

The first time I saw TDKR I felt very underwhelmed. On repeat viewings, I grew to love it. I still think it's the weakest of the three, and I felt it stood on its own feet the least well, but I now think of it as a worthy conclusion to the trilogy. I wish we could have seen the conclusion Nolan had planned. :(
Reepicheep775
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Aslanisthebest » Jul 06, 2014 9:45 am

Huh, it's interesting how y'all consider TDKR to be one of the weakest. I didn't think about that, Cor--that they might have thrown it together. I can see that. Though, I liked it so much, that my take is that even when Nolan throws things together, they turn out spectacular. :P I do need to rewatch the series in order to definitely identify one as my favorite (I've only seen TDK once, and that was some time ago.)

The reason I liked it as much as I did was because of all the characters and their different responses to the situation.
In the first two films, Bruce Wayne largely knows who he is (BB) or is very sure of his morals and his approach (TDK), but he seems to be out of options in TDKR. We see him hiding away, not trying to maintain the "playboy by day, hero by night" act, and almost giving up Batman. He gets reprimanded from all those who believed in what he was doing, from Alfred to Gordon to Blake. I liked seeing him come from being passive to active, which was really capped of well by the "Rise" scene. Blake was such a neat character, too. And the complexity behind Selina Kyle was fascinating to watch. We see her turn from bitter and flexible with the law to finally getting some conviction. Everything implied about her character development was subtle and artful, much like the character herself. With the old characters, though, I liked the fact that the series showed that over the years, people do change and get tired even of worthwhile efforts. Gordon, who was the good police in Begins, has to admit that he lied.
The last couple minutes of the film were beautiful. They reminded me a lot of the last minutes of Inception.

---
Cor, that's a good point, about Iron Man compared to The Avengers. I don't think my comparing it is very fair, but I suppose it was inevitable, since I was introduced to the Marvel superheros by The Avengers. I don't have huge expectations for Iron Man 2, but we'll see.
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby 220chrisTian » Jul 14, 2014 1:00 pm

Happy Bastille Day! Do you have any favorite French Revolution films?

http://artsandculturereviews.wordpress. ... c-journey/
220chrisTian

Postby Shadowlander » Jul 14, 2014 5:37 pm

I wouldn't mind having a few of the Napoleonic-era flicks, although that's post-Terror stuff. I have read The Scarlet Pimpernel, but haven't seen the movie/s yet. I've been made to understand the David Niven one is pretty good.
Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby 220chrisTian » Jul 17, 2014 1:52 pm

Shadowlander: the 1950 version is pretty far back! I haven't seen it, but I like David Niven as an actor - Guns of Navarone, My Man Godfrey. :)

There's also ...

1934 with Leslie Howard and Merle Oberon
1982 with Anthony Andrews, Ian McKellen, and Jane Seymour [my FAVORITE, having seen it a dozen times] :x
1999 with Elizabeth McGovern and Richard Grant

http://www.imdb.com/find?s=all&q=scarlet%20pimpernel
220chrisTian

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 30, 2014 2:58 pm

I did not know that David Niven was in a version of My Man Godfrey! I love the original with William Powell and Carole Lombard from the 30s. Huh, and June Allyson's in it, too! It's a bit hard to imagine her in Lombard's role, but I'll have to give it a watch and see what I think. :) I've seen quite a few of June Allyson's films (always a sucker for a musical), and I've generally liked the films that I've seen with Niven in it. Around the World in Eighty Days is a lot of fun. Now that I'm thinking about it, I want to watch it again. ;)) I shall have to mention it to the family. ;)
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby stargazer » Aug 09, 2014 6:24 pm

We watched Divergent last night. On the whole we enjoyed it, though not having read the book I can't vouch for its faithfulness to the source material (but I've heard it does reasonably well).

The setting brought to mind similar recent dystopias like The Hunger Games, but to me the setup was very reminiscent of Isaac Asimov's 1957 novella Profession, in which children are 'educated' instantly at a young age via a sort of computer interface. Based on the results of this test, they are also sorted into what profession (rather than the factions as in this new story) they will follow upon reaching adulthood.

Like Tris, the story's main character's initial test is inconclusive so he can't be processed into a profession; unlike her, he doesn't get to choose one. (From this point, the plots of the two stories diverge).
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby 220chrisTian » Aug 11, 2014 11:26 am

Rose-Tree: yes, Niven and Allison were in a 50s version of that film. I saw it before I did the Powell/Lombard one. I like them both, but I prefer the Niven/Allison one. :) I've also seen just one version of Around the World in 80 Days, the 2004 one with Jackie Chan. I liked it. :)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0327437/

Stargazer: I've read little dystopian fiction, although I'm familiar with some titles and film adaptations (I know who stars in them ;) ). Your description of Divergent and Asimov's Profession is very similar to Lois Lowry's The Giver (1993), which I started reading last night. The film hits theaters on Friday. :)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0435651/
220chrisTian

Postby SnowAngel » Aug 12, 2014 5:09 pm

The Rose-Tree Dryad wrote:I did not know that David Niven was in a version of My Man Godfrey! I love the original with William Powell and Carole Lombard from the 30s. Huh, and June Allyson's in it, too! It's a bit hard to imagine her in Lombard's role, but I'll have to give it a watch and see what I think. :)

I saw the David Niven/June Allyson My Man Godfrey earlier this summer. It was very entertaining. My Dad and older brother stayed in the living room and watched it, something they don't often do when we watch Turner Class Movies. I still like the William Powell/Carole Lombard version best. :) But the remake is definitely worth watching.

My older brother recently decided that he wanted to watch some of the Avengers movies. So on Friday I asked him to take younger sister and I to the library, and we got Captain America: The First Avenger and The Avengers. I liked Captain America the best, both the movie and the character. Quite surprisingly Scarlet watched part of both movies, including the end of both. I thought she would have read a book instead of watching the movies with us. :D

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby 220chrisTian » Aug 20, 2014 11:56 am

I watched the Powell/Lombard version of My Man Godfrey (1936) on DVD last night. I didn’t remember how selfish, spoiled, and ridiculous this family is! Carole’s character is over-the-top immature. Who would want her? This is probably the reason I prefer the Niven/Allyson version. I also prefer watching Powell with Myrna Loy (on-screen wife) in the “Thin Man” films. She oozes class.
220chrisTian

Postby 220chrisTian » Sep 22, 2014 4:06 pm

I saw Philomena (2013), with Judi Dench and Steve Coogan, on DVD last week. It's based on a true story. My review is below. Martin Sixsmith (played by Steve) released a documentary on BBC, also last week, called Ireland's Lost Children. I just checked out Philomena (the book) from my local library. :)

http://artsandculturereviews.wordpress. ... philomena/
220chrisTian

Postby SnowAngel » Sep 24, 2014 6:02 pm

After much influence on Tumblr by fellow NarniaWebbers, I bought Captain America: The Winter Soldier on Blu-ray. Last night, I watched it with my brother and sister and loved it! :D Why didn't someone tell me sooner how good it is? /:)

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby fantasia » Sep 25, 2014 10:19 am

@SnowAngel, Whereas I've heard from a ton of people that it's fantastic, which made me actually interested. *is very burned out on superhero movies ;)) *
It JUST arrived in the mail via Netflix yesterday so I will be watching it this weekend. I hope I like it as much as everybody else. :D
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby stargazer » Sep 28, 2014 10:07 am

I recently watched The Winter Soldier with friends and also enjoyed it. There are so many superhero movies, fantasia, and there seems to be no end in sight. But I think they did a good job with this one. There was a certain point at which I was able to guess what was coming, but it was still enjoyable.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby fantasia » Sep 28, 2014 11:23 am

We watched The Winter Soldier last night. I thoroughly enjoyed it though it was a bit predictable. I can't decide if I liked that one better or Guardians of the Galaxy. I think GotG is a bit more to my taste right now (silly and goofy = :x ) whereas WS had a better story (and no bad language... thank you).
I think the thing I appreciated most about WS was that the thing with superhero movies right now almost all have my hated/dreaded wimpy hero symptom to theoretically make the superhero more relatable. But WS did not do that. Instead of debating between doing the good thing vs the easy thing, he was debating on which thing was really good. :ymapplause:
So yeah, glad I watched it, it's definitely up there in terms of super hero movies for me. :)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

PreviousNext