This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Food for Thought (and Discussion)

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Cooking/Cake Decorating

Postby Horse_Lover » Mar 09, 2010 6:55 pm

kittengirl,
We used to get those out of our library! :D I forget if we ever tried anything or not though.. :D
Nweb twin to ValiantPrincess, and Nweb sis to elvenbug
Proud member of the 10th Avenue North club!
Horse_Lover
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby kittengirl » Mar 10, 2010 7:28 am

Horse Lover
That is acually were we got the cookbook. The pictures were pretty funny!

If you're a girl Christian Star Wars fan check this place out! http://thelakehouse.bigforumpro.com/
(Siggy by theprincessspy!)
kittengirl
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby SnowAngel » Mar 10, 2010 7:29 pm

Bartholmew wrote:After looking through all of the pages I have to say SnowAngel. You are welcome to come over and cook here anytime you like. ;)
Thanks, but I don't think my mom would spare me. ;)

Yesterday, I made pizza. It was delicious! :D It was loaded with hamburger, olives, green peppers, green onions, and lots of cheese. :) I used a recipe that Scarlet got from her pen-pal. It was so simple; if anyone would like the recipe just let me know. :) The crust is a little bland, so the next time I make it I'm going to put some spices in the crust...something along the lines of basil/oregano/rosemary blend.

And last week, I made Shadowlander's "Slumguillon" recipe. It was great. Everyone loved it with the exception of Scarlet (she doesn't eat any kind of sausage, except for my homemade beef sausage 8-| ). Next time I will need to use more sausage and potatoes, but what I made was sufficient since we had ice cream for dessert. I did add ground mustard, for a little bit more flavor. But other than that I stuck to the recipe, which is kind of surprising for me, because I tend to add and subtract spices from most recipes. :-$

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby RamanduDaughter » Mar 12, 2010 5:06 am

I'm engaged to be married in one year (next March) and am planning my wedding. Neither of us are well off and neither are our families, so we are cutting costs any way we can without compromising the quality of the wedding. One of the ways we're reducing costs (plus giving me the chance to do something I've always dreamed of doing!) is that I will be designing my own wedding cake.

I envision a design with 4 layers, with garlands of frosting roses and petals swathing the top and side in a graceful, natural pattern, dropping to the base. I don't want to use all white, but I don't want intense colors, so I plan to use a pale pink and pale green for the flowers and white for everything else, including possibly white plastic pearls in a swirl along the edge. The base cake will have a gauzy bow in a silky, pale pink.

The only similar cake I've made was the three layer cake I made for my parents' 25th anniversary a few years ago, featured in the photo below. It was a hot evening, and the cake collapsed slightly, into the rather triangular shape you see. This time around I'll have a base to work with the will keep the weight of each layer from impacting the others.
Attachments
l_3c351e811276d17673253378b12e6583.jpg
l_3c351e811276d17673253378b12e6583.jpg (46.27 KiB) Viewed 12368 times

NW sis to LittleTarkheena & AitB, NW twinny to Goldie_Lucy
RL sis to RuralNarniaFan

"I have seen progress in an egg. In Narnia we call it Going Bad."
RamanduDaughter
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby IloveFauns » Mar 12, 2010 6:02 am

That cake is awsome. I want a slice.

this is the best cake ever.

IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Aslanisthebest » Mar 12, 2010 11:01 am

On a quick side note, Conga-rats, RD!!!! :D :ymhug: How exciting!
Such a good idea; and I really love that cake. The roses are lovely. =]
Wow, ILF, that cake is something impressive.

Yesterday, CS and I decided to make an icecream pie sort of thing. (recepie taken off the back of the label for the crust, but with some alterations, it was really good!)

Definitely not the most amazing or appetizing picture of it, but the camera's not working apart from videos, so we took a video of it, and I did print screen and cropped it. ;))

Basically, it's just the oreo crust, double vanilla ice cream, cinnamon graham crumbs (lightly sprinkled on top), hand whipped cream, and Cadbury chocolate curls. (I finally did the curls right with the vegetable peeler! :D )
It tasted really good, and was rather simple to make. And thankfully came out right! =]
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby ValiantArcher » Mar 12, 2010 3:43 pm

Congratulations, RamanduDaughter! :D And that sounds like a lovely cake. :) I have a question, if you have a chance---how hard was it to make the roses on your parents' cake (they look lovely!)? And what type of frosting did you use? I've always wanted to be able to make fancy designs, but have never figured out the knack of it. (Even just figuring out a pipeable frosting would be a good step for me :P)

That cake is really something, IlF! :)

Yummy, Bella! :D Do you literally whip the cream by hand or do you use a motorized beater? I've done it both ways, but I think I prefer the motorized way. ;) ;))

And I think the last thing I made was an apple crumble. It tasted good, even if the bottom crust layer stuck to the pan something awful. :P I didn't grease it, but it shouldn't've stuck with the amount of butter in it! :-o ;))
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Mar 12, 2010 4:32 pm

Shadowlander wrote:I have to ask...did you eat the nativity when Christmas season was over? Just curious! ;))
I made the nativity on Jan. 1. We transported without it breaking (except for the star and the angel which just lasted long enough to snap a picture.) From our house to a friend's house who lives about 2 hours away for a late Christmas party. We ate some of it there and brought the rest back without it breaking. We figure it probably froze in the back of the car. I think the temp. was negative that day / around zero.

Shadowlander, l love your style of recipe writing. It is much more entertaining than most recipes. I think bacon would be a nice touch. YOu learned different food groups than I did. =)) I think you should be able to handle biscuits and gravy. It was one of the first things we learned how to do in foods class. Our group thought it was disgusting.
Shadowlander wrote:I hate peeling potatoes, don't you?
I don't like pealing them either, especially since on of the first times I did it, I peeled part of my fingernail and cut the skin under it a little. I'm a bit of a klutz.

ILF, my friend had Mario and some green character on the top of her wedding cake instead of a bride and groom.

RamanduDaughter, the same friend's groom made cheese cakes for their wedding cake. Your cake looks amazing!
ValiantArcher wrote:(Even just figuring out a pipeable frosting would be a good step for me :P)
I have trouble finding frosting that is a good consistency too. It is also hard because the more you hold the bag the warmer the frosting gets and the warmer the frosting gets the more runny it becomes.

SnowAngel, what kind of a cookie press do you have? We can't seem to find a good one. The disk that pushes the dough down keeps breaking off. I think we have other problems too but I'm not sure.

Here are some more from me. I'm still behind.
holloweencookies1.JPG
holloweencookies1.JPG (56.68 KiB) Viewed 12349 times
holloweencookies2.JPG
holloweencookies2.JPG (54.12 KiB) Viewed 12349 times
holloweencookies3.JPG
holloweencookies3.JPG (47.47 KiB) Viewed 12349 times
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby IloveFauns » Mar 12, 2010 5:34 pm

Your sister is awsome pal. I don't wnat a normal cake when i get married. If i ever do. I love the holloween cookies to.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Mar 13, 2010 8:00 am

IloveFauns, it wasn't my sister it was my friend.
Here is the last of my Halloween pictures.
holloweencookies5.JPG
holloweencookies5.JPG (37.04 KiB) Viewed 12335 times
Pattertwigs Pal

Postby kittengirl » Mar 13, 2010 12:18 pm

Oh! I love that cake. Your making me hungry. ;)

If you're a girl Christian Star Wars fan check this place out! http://thelakehouse.bigforumpro.com/
(Siggy by theprincessspy!)
kittengirl
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby IloveFauns » Mar 13, 2010 6:31 pm

Pattertwigs Pal wrote:IloveFauns, it wasn't my sister it was my friend.
Here is the last of my Halloween pictures.
holloweencookies5.JPG

lol sorry i had no idea why i post sister. Was the yoshi the green character(the one in my avatar) or it could of been the old version of browser.

this being king koopa

if it were another human it would of been marios brother luigi but i am sure you would know him.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Shadowlander » Mar 13, 2010 7:51 pm

Snow Angel wrote:And last week, I made Shadowlander's "Slumguillon" recipe. It was great. Everyone loved it with the exception of Scarlet (she doesn't eat any kind of sausage, except for my homemade beef sausage ).

Scarlet didn't like it?! Ah well, can't win em' all. ;)) I'm glad you liked it! I hadn't thought to add ground mustard, but then again I'm culinarily (is that a word?) challenged...would that make it taste kinda...mustardy? Like French's yellow? I made a batch of "slumgullion" last week...the wife (mega-picky eater) will go back for seconds on this stuff and sometimes thirds, and then she asks for leftovers to bring to work. She almost never asks for leftovers of anything. ;)) *sigh* if there was just a way to get around the potato peeling...it takes me about 45 minutes to peel them and dice them up. All in all pretty basic recipe...*wonders if he should share his family's sacred secret recipe for crepes*

Pattertwig's Pal wrote:l love your style of recipe writing. It is much more entertaining than most recipes.

I love food and I find it dissapointing that most recipes for great food tend to be kind of emotionless. When you're making a great, hearty meal it should be something that gets you excited as you read it...like an adventure story for your taste buds with the meal being the payoff. :D

Pattertwig's Pal wrote:You learned different food groups than I did.

Well, to my count there's about what...roughly 50 food groups out there to choose from, including (but not limited to) the Meat group, Cheese group, Rabbit Food group (carrots and celery), Pizza group, Pizza Toppings group, Hot Sauce group, Microwave group (these include frozen burritos and Hot Pockets), the Icky Sauce and Dressing group (mayonaisse, French dressing, etc.) and the immortal Potato group. What do they teach children in schools these days? ;)

Pattertwig's Pal wrote:I think you should be able to handle biscuits and gravy.

Gravy has a real harsh reputation about it and most cooks will tell you it's super easy to mess it up. Sawmill gravy (the type one puts on biscuits for breakfast) seems to be on the easy side by most reports, but it still makes me nervous...so for now I'll probably get my Biscuits and Gravy (part of the Gravy group, btw) at the local IHOP. ;))

Pattertwig's Pal wrote:ILF, my friend had Mario and some green character on the top of her wedding cake instead of a bride and groom.

ILF wrote:Was the yoshi the green character(the one in my avatar) or it could of been the old version of browser this being king koopa.

My first guess would be Yoshi, but now that you mention it it could also be Koopa. Nothing cooler than two video game characters doing battle on a cake, yes? ;)) Then again it could also be one of those man-eating plant things that live in those flowerpots. But my guess is Yoshi.
Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby Glenstorm the Great » Mar 14, 2010 12:17 pm

all those cakes look good *yum* :D

yesterday we made coconut pie! We make it fairly often. Here's the recipe if anyone's interested. We make twice as much, do twice the coconut, and do 1 and 1/3 times the flour. it makes it a little thicker and more coconut-y and delicious :p

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paul ... index.html
Glenstorm the Great
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Mar 15, 2010 1:09 pm

For some reason this quote made me think of this thread (and one poster to it in particular. ;) )
There is no love sincerer than the love of food. ~George Bernard Shaw
Pattertwigs Pal

Postby Gymfan15 » Mar 15, 2010 6:59 pm

Shadowlander wrote:I love food and I find it dissapointing that most recipes for great food tend to be kind of emotionless. When you're making a great, hearty meal it should be something that gets you excited as you read it...like an adventure story for your taste buds with the meal being the payoff. :D

Shadowlander, may I present you to The Pioneer Woman Cooks? ;)) Don't let the name give you cooties; her style (and food!) appeals to guys and girls. ;) She has the most fantastic stuff on there, and I love just reading the recipes, even though I've only made one or two things she's posted. Although, the stuff I did make was DELISH. I credit PWC with giving me the inspiration and confidence to make my fabulous chicken soup. All chicken soup I made before was bland and bleh, but now it's amazing and I make it all the time. :D

Anyway, I figured posting PW's site on here would be appropriate for a Cooking thread. And if you want some great cookie, cupcake and cake decorating, get thee to Bakerella right now! Her stuff will make you drool and be in awe of her talent at the same time. ;)
Gymfan15
Moderator Emeritus
Giver of Prestigious NarniaWeb Taglines™

PreviousNext