This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Food for Thought (and Discussion)

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Cooking/Cake Decorating

Postby Orious » Sep 14, 2010 12:40 pm

I see cooking in the title there so this is the thread for me. I mostly bake breads, actually, but I do do some cooking.

One of the last things I made was tomato sauce using several tomatoes a friend gave us. It was just a very base sauce so it didn't have any particular strong flavor. It was very orange instead of red like a tomato should be but that wasn't too big a deal. I froze most of the sauce but I did use some of it right away.
The other thing I made with the tomatoes was a potato and tomato pie. I thought it tasted pretty grand and I got all rave reviews. :) The potatoes were for the crust (because I didn't feel like making a crust and my sister doesn't tolerate gluten very well). The inside of the pie was onion rings and tomato slices layered and then topped with mayonaise and cheese. If anyone has a surplus supply of garden tomatoes and wants the recipe they can certainly have it, it is one of my own "creations" and I'm certainly proud of it. ;))

I am going square dancing this weekend and there is a potluck before the dancing. I can't decide if I want to bring dinner rolls or apple pull-apart bread. Maybe I will make both and bring whichever one turns out best or maybe I will bring both if they both turn out. :)
I make all my breads with whole wheat flour using an eletric mixer with a dough hook.
KrisTwin: Follower - Sibs AWH&Fauni - SirenSis - PotatoHead

"There are no boring subjects, only disinterested minds."

AV by ForeverFan
Orious
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Kate » Sep 19, 2010 10:33 am

I received an ice cream maker for my last birthday, so since today is one of my roommate's birthday, my other roommate and I wanted to make her some ice cream and cup cakes (since we just got some cupcake tins). When my roommate suggested we try cookies and cream ice cream, I remembered how Shantih made these cupcakes here and we went for matching ice cream with cupcakes with oreo frosting. :) They aren't quite as pretty as Shantih's, but they tasted great!
Attachments
09-18-10.JPG
09-18-10.JPG (16.85 KiB) Viewed 11365 times
Kate
Moderator Emeritus
DJ Mod

Favorite Recipes?

Postby Valiant » Oct 18, 2010 5:33 pm

Do you guys have any favorite recipes that you love to make and share with your friends? I love cooking..and eating :p. If anyone has a good recipe for cinammon rolls I would love to know!
Signature by daughter of the King; Avatar by Adeona

Keeper of the Secret Magic
Valiant
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby SnowAngel » Oct 23, 2010 2:42 pm

Cool cake, RevelinginWonder. I love the bright colors. :) Was the fondant hard to work with? And what did it taste like? I've heard it doesn't taste good, but I've never tried it myself. However, I would like to someday.

Shantih, how is it that everything you post pictures of, has to look so delicious? ;) I so want to make some cupcakes like that, but I always forget to ask Mom to get Oreos. *Goes to put Oreos on grocery list.* That frosting looks too good. :D

Aslanisthebest, that cake sounds delicious.

ElfMaidenArcheroRivendell, I can't remember having gingerbread, we always make gingersnaps. But it sounds scrumptious. :)

Mmm, your pizza sauce recipe sounds really good, StarKat. We do have a recipe for pizza sauce that we like, but I'm thinking I need to try yours. Can't have too many good pizza or sauce recipes any more than you can have too many cookie recipes!

Nice cupcakes, Kate. Hmm, I think it's been too long since we've made ice cream around here... *adds cream to grocery list, too*

And now for what I've been cooking... yesterday I made apple crisp. I love the smell of apples and cinnamon - it's such a "fall" scent to my way of thinking. :) It was delicious by the way. I had some of the leftover crisp for breakfast. ;;) (Fruit is a very healthy breakfast, you know, and of course the topping is made with the same basic ingredients as bread...) It's just as good cold as it was warm.

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby Valiant » Oct 23, 2010 2:54 pm

Do you guys have a favorite kind of tea? I hear they drink plenty of tea in Narnia. :p

There is a wonderful store near where I live that has a huge variety of tea available. You can buy the leafs and take it home or sit down and have a cup.

I had some cinnamon flavored tea that was really good. :)
Signature by daughter of the King; Avatar by Adeona

Keeper of the Secret Magic
Valiant
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby ValiantArcher » Dec 27, 2010 7:23 pm

I usually only drink black tea, Valiant. ;)) There is this one apple cinnamon black breakfast tea that I like, as well as some mint tea, but otherwise I don't usually try different types of tea. :)

So, I was wondering if anyone had ever worked with or made fondant before? I'm planning on making some marshmallow fondant soon, and was curious if there's anything I need to know about it beforehand or anything. ;))
I was also curious if anyone had ever used either Tootsie rolls or Starbursts to decorate cakes or cookies before? I read an article where someone used Tootsie rolls as an alternative to modeling chocolate (not that I'm actually sure what that is, but I'm pretty sure I haven't seen it in Wal-Mart ;))), and I thought it looked fun. :)
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby starkat » Jan 06, 2011 5:38 pm

I was experimenting with leftovers Monday night and came up with something actually edible.

stove top fried chicken
zuchinni
carrots
ham
rice
parmesan cheese

I stove top fried some chicken. In another pot, I had zuchinni and carrots and ham simmering in olive oil. I cut the carrots up very tiny so they would actually cook by the time everything else was done. I threw some cajun seasoning and some pepper into white rice while it was cooking. Then I mixed everything together and mixed in parmesan. My dad added Tony's creole seasoning and said that it really hit the spot. Without the Tony's, it was a bit bland. Everything that needed it was cooked in olive oil. The ham was just leftovers from the sandwich meat that I threw in for flavor.
starkat

Postby Lady Lilliandil » Jan 06, 2011 7:32 pm

Today my mom made the best moose ever! It had chocolate shavings on it and it was so good. She always makes something that no one thought was coming right after dinner. She can take like 3 things and make the best snack ever! she showed me how to make strawberry moose and its amazing, this is the recipe :)

heavy cream
powdered sugar
strawberrys ( not the frozen kind)

You whip the cream with a hand beater and then add sugar. ( only a little a time) Then you cut and crush the berrys and mix them in the sweet cream with a spoon. And you chill it in the fridge! Yay!! if you do all these steps you should have some good moose!

P.S. when you beat the cream don't whip it too much or you will get butter instead of whip cream! That would be disappointing :(( !
enjoy! :)
Avie by:MissAdventure
siggy by:LucyP0104
Caspian + Lilliandil
"Love NEVER fails"
Lady Lilliandil
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Jan 26, 2011 6:26 pm

I read an interesting article in the newspaper. According to a study done by McGill University in Montreal - men become more mellow and relaxed and less aggressive when looking at raw meat. /:)

I have been meaning to post this recipe for quite a while now. This is one of my favorite cookie recipes:

Rolled Sugar Cookies
Numbers in parentheses are for a double batch.
1 (2) cups sugar
2 (4) eggs
3/8 (3/4) cup Butter Flavored Crisco
3 scant tablespoons (scant 3/8 cup) applesauce
1 (2) tsp baking powder
¾ (1 ½) tsp salt
1 ½ tsp (1 tablespoon) vanilla extract
¼ (½) tsp almond extract
2 ½ (5) cups all-purpose flour

Mix together sugar and eggs. Add Crisco and mix until as many lumps as possible are gone. Stir in applesauce, baking powder, salt, and extracts. Mix in flour. It is easier to do it a cup at a time.
Cover, chill for several hours or overnight. It works best to chill it over night. Roll out a ¼ (1/8) of dough at a time to ¼ inch thickness between two floured pieces of waxed paper. Dip cutters in flour and cut cookies. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets. I'm pretty sure I never put them that far apart. Just space them far enough apart so they don't bake together. I like to put all of the small cookies on one cookie sheet and all of the bigger cookies on another. It is easier to time baking that way, since small cookies are done much sooner than large cookies. If desired, decorate with colored sugar. I like to use sprinkles, sugar, etc. to make little designs and faces. (For samples see previous pages of this thread). Bake at 375° for 7-9 minutes or until cookies spring back when lightly touched. The key word here is "lightly" I touched one too hard and a teddy bear cookie ended up with a permanent indent in his tummy. I had to eat him to put him out of his misery. ;)) The cookies may also begin to brown slightly, although that doesn't seem to happen as quickly with reduced fat cookies. The type of cookie sheet also plays a role in whether or not cookies brown and how fast the bake for that matter. It they are starting to brown they should be done unless they are really uneven thicknesses. According to the book I used to make this recipe reduced fat, reduced fat cookies should be baked at 325° for *will come back later and post time. I'm having a mental block and I don't want to disturb the cat in my lap to go and get the book* Edit: It's a good think I checked. The temperature is 275 - 300 not 325 :-o #-o the time is 15 - 20 minutes. It doesn't say why and I have done it both ways and don't notice a difference, except it takes a very long time at 325° especially if one is using airbake pans. 8-| However, if you try it both ways, let me know if you notice a difference.
Yield: It is ridiculous to put a yield on a roll out cookie recipe. We have cookie cutters ranging from teeny tiny to huge plus I have a gingerbread cookie pan, so a single batch would yield a lot of teeny tiny cookies to one gingerbread sized cookie (I'll post a picture later) and a double batch would yield tons of teeny tiny cookies to two gingerbread sized cookies.

I did my best to make the above recipe interesting. If anyone wants the simplified or "normal" version, let me know and I'll post it. ;))

Tip from Pattertwig's Pal: To measure the vanilla and the almond extract, try using medicine cups (like what come on cough syrup) and/or medicine spoons (like you would use for giving a baby medicine. These go down to 1/4 tsp).

The absolutely best cinnamon roll recipe is:
MOTT’S CINNAMON ROLLS
Dough:
4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
1 package active dry yeast
¾ cup Mott's Apple Sauce
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg, beaten
Filling:
1/4 cup apple Sauce
1/3 c. sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
Glaze:
1 cup sifted confectioner's sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp milk
Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray two 8-9 in. round pans with cooking spray. In a lrg. bowl, combine 1½ c. flour & the yeast. In a sm. saucepan combine ¾ c. applesauce, milk, 2 tbsp sugar, butter, & salt. Heat over med. heat & stir just until warm & butter is almost melted (milk will appear curdled). Add to flour mixture along with egg. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 s., scraping bowl constantly. Beat on hi speed for 3 min., using a spoon to stir in 2¼ c. flour. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth & elastic. Shape dough into a ball. Place dough in a bowl sprayed lightly with cooking spray; turn dough once to grease. Cover & let rise in a warm place until doubled (about 1 hr.). Punch dough down; turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Cover & let rest 10 min. Roll dough to a 12-in. square. Spread ¼ c. applesauce over dough. Combine 1/3 c. sugar & cinnamon; sprinkle over dough. Roll up & seal seams. Slice into 12 pieces. Arrange 6 rolls in each pan. Cover & let rise in a warm place until nearly doubled (about 30 min). Bake for 20-25 min. or until golden. Cool 5 min. Invert onto serving plate. Drizzle with a mixture of confectioner's sugar, vanilla, & milk. Serve warm.

We cheat a little :-$ and use our breadmaker to mix the dough. We put the ingredients in the breadmaker and use the dough cycle. We take it out of the breadmaker, let it rest 10 minutes and follow the recipe until is says to roll up and seal seams. We cut the dough first and roll each section separately it is a lot easier and less messy that way. Usually we put it in the refrigerator to rise overnight. Then, in the morning we can bake them and have fresh cinnamon rolls. Yum! =p~

My favorite tea is Candy Cane lane.

I haven't worked with fondant but it looks interesting.
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby Anfinwen » Feb 12, 2011 12:32 pm

My mother and I made this cake for a friend's wedding. Mom baked, leveled, made the icing, iced, helped assemble it, and made a sort of dome of fondant to put the roses on. I made the roses, the V on top, did the little squiggles all over, and the leaves. It was a small cake, just for the bride and groom (they saved the top).

Formerly The Lady Arwen Undómiel
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby SnowAngel » Mar 09, 2011 7:03 pm

That is a beautiful cake, TLAU. :D I would love to be able to make roses, but haven't learned how yet. I'm going to learn how someday. :)

Yesterday, I made beef sausage, gravy, and buttermilk biscuits. It's was delicious, IMHO. :D I'm learning how to make beef sausage, I'm still working on the spices.

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby Shadowlander » Mar 10, 2011 4:50 am

SnowAngel wrote:Yesterday, I made beef sausage, gravy, and buttermilk biscuits. It's was delicious, IMHO.

Yes, but did you serve it with grits? ;)) I love some biscuits and gravy, but I'm still too cowardly to give it a go with anything more than a prepackaged type of gravy.

Last week, for the first time in SL Cuisine history I made my very first lasagna. It was surprisingly easy and the stuff lasted just under a week, so my wife and I were putting away lasagna (one of the few foods that really does taste better as leftovers) and saving a few bucks along the way. So I guess maybe I should give biscuits and gravy a shot, right? B-)
Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby fantasia » Mar 10, 2011 9:57 am

PREPARE TO DROOL!!! =p~
For Christmas, I got a subscription to Taste of Home magazine (which as far as I'm concerned publishes the best cookbooks of all time). Taste of Home sent me an email saying "welcome! here's a free recipe"

The picture doesn't really do it justice cause my camera does weird things... but yeah, you can get the general idea. It's a Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Cheesecake. And since all I had to do was screenshot the recipe, I have no problem sharing it with you all for those who want to attempt a cheesecake. ;)

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d150/fantasia_kitty/PeanutButterCupCheesecakeRecipe.jpg

SnowAngel wrote:Yesterday, I made beef sausage, gravy, and buttermilk biscuits. It's was delicious, IMHO.
Biscuits and sausage gravy may just be my number one comfort food. Though I prefer pork sausage. :D
Shadowlander wrote:Yes, but did you serve it with grits?
I don't know why, but I have never been able to develop a taste for grits. My husband loves them, but not me. But then again, I don't like corn based foods (which is extra weird cause I love corn), tortillas, grits, etc.
Shadowlander wrote:I love some biscuits and gravy, but I'm still too cowardly to give it a go with anything more than a prepackaged type of gravy.
Oh my word, gravy is soooo easy. If you can make lasagna, you can make gravy. At this point in time, I'd normally share my recipe with you except that I've been looking for it for the past 10 min and can't find it anywhere. :)) So if I find it, I will get back to you. ;)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Orious » Mar 10, 2011 12:20 pm

I am with you on the gravy, Shadowlander! I'm not quite brave enough. ;)

Valiant wrote:If anyone has a good recipe for cinammon rolls I would love to know!
This is my recipe for whole wheat cinnamon rolls. It is kind of time consuming so I usually make it the night before and keep it in the fridge overnight.

3 cups warm water (or half milk and half water)
1/3 cup honey
5 teaspoons/2 packets active dry yeast
5 cups whole wheat flour
2 heaping tablespoons wheat gluten

Pour all five ingredients into the bowl of an electric mixer with the dough hook attached. Mix at medium speed until the ingredients are combined and you have a thick batter. Let sit for thirty minutes. (The wheat gluten can be left out in a pinch. Your rolls will just be softer and fluffier with the addition.)

1/2 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup honey
1 tablespoon salt
3 cups whole wheat flour

Pour these ingredients in after your batter has sat for a half hour. Mix at medium speed until everything is combined. Pour in another half to one cup of flour until the dough forms a ball and pulls away from the sides of your mixer. Knead at medium speed for eight minutes.

Spray a large mixing bowl with nonstick spray. Put the dough in the bowl and spray lightly with nonstick spray to help keep it from drying out. Let rise until doubled, about one hour.

About six tablespoons of butter
About eight tablespoons of cinnamon
About five tablespoons sugar
Raisins, optional
Chopped pecans, optional

Punch dough down. Divide dough in half and roll each half into a half inch thick rectangle. I normally wing the filling so I'm just guessing the measurements above. Melt some butter and using a pastry brush, brush the butter unto each of your rectangles. Sprinkle on some cinnamon, I'm guessing about four tablespoons per rectangle but I just take the bottle in the cupboard and sprinkle it on until it looks good. When I'm doing the cinnamon I usually sprinkle until I think that I have too much, that is about when I have enough. Sprinkle on sugar to taste. Sprinkle on raisins and/or pecans if you like that sort of thing.

Starting at the log end of your rectangle, tightly roll the dough into a log. Using a wet knife, cut each of the rectangles into twelve rolls each.

About two cups of maple syrup

Spray two baking pans with nonstick spray. Pour a layer of maple syrup into each of them. Place twelve rolls into each pan, leaving about a 3/4 inch of rising room around each of them.

If you are going to bake them right away, put them in the oven at 175 for about fifteen minutes to rise. Change the temperature to 350 (don't bother preheating the oven) and let them rise for 25-30 minutes or until done. :p I usually do not glaze them with anything but I do brush them with butter immediately after they come out of the oven.

If you are planning to eat them the next morning, spray them lightly with nonstick spray, cover them with plastic wrap and put them in the fridge overnight. Toss them into the oven when you get up in the morning. Cook them at 350 (without preheating) for 25-30 minutes or until done. I usually don't do any sort of glaze, I brush them with butter as soon as they exit the oven.

Well...I was going to post what I have been cooking this week but the post is much too long already.
KrisTwin: Follower - Sibs AWH&Fauni - SirenSis - PotatoHead

"There are no boring subjects, only disinterested minds."

AV by ForeverFan
Orious
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Gymfan15 » Mar 10, 2011 2:35 pm

YOu know, I don't think I've ever had grits, but I imagine the texture is similar to cream of wheat. Methinks I need to go someplace that cooks grits properly so I can try it out, right? ;))

On the subject of yummy food, my mom is in the process of cooking homemade meatballs and it smells heavenly. She tried a new technique where you sear the meatballs in a hot skillet prior to putting them in the sauce. I think that's a great idea; it gives the meat a nicer texture and helps the balls hold together while cooking. I can't wait to taste them.
Gymfan15
Moderator Emeritus
Giver of Prestigious NarniaWeb Taglines™

Postby SnowAngel » Mar 13, 2011 6:51 pm

Shadowlander wrote:
Yes, but did you serve it with grits? ;)) I love some biscuits and gravy, but I'm still too cowardly to give it a go with anything more than a prepackaged type of gravy.
Grits??? :-o Never, in my entire life have I made or served grits to anyone. I don't like grits. They're gross, slimy stuff, as I recall. [-( (I haven't had them but once in the past ten years.)

Don't get me started on prepackaged gravy. *is a charter member of the Gravy From Scratch - FOREVER! Club* Shadowlander, you really should try making gravy, it's not very hard as long as you stir it. We have a recipe for butter gravy, I'll post it if you're looking for a good Southern-style white gravy. I'll have to down size the recipe before I post since it's kind of a big recipe. We no longer mind having leftovers since it can be thinned and reheated (like condensed soup...only better!) or used to thicken soup or pot pies.

fantasia_kitty wrote:
Biscuits and sausage gravy may just be my number one comfort food. Though I prefer pork sausage. :D
I like pork sausage too, but my Mom and my older sister, Scarlet_Trefoil, both read The Maker's Diet and now neither will eat pork. Since then I started making beef sausage and the only problem I have with it is the spices. I can't seem to find the right combination of spices...or rather, the right amounts. My family likes sage, black pepper, garlic, and cayenne as our basic sausage seasoning. Lately I've added caraway seeds and cooked it all in a cast iron skillet and both things seem to round out the flavor a bit more. Maybe a little red pepper flakes would do the trick - a pop of heat in each bite. *adds to recipe*

Yesterday, I made french fries. Mumm! So good. :D I used Bobby Flay's recipe for Perfect French Fries. It's a fairly easy recipe, but time consuming as it uses a two-step cooking process. I'm thinking of partially cooking the fries, then freezing them for later use, like they do commercially.

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

PreviousNext