Food for Thought (and Discussion)

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Food for Thought (and Discussion)

Postby fantasia_kitty » Jan 06, 2018 7:52 am

Yes, no, pork. ;))

Here's the recipe. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/warm ... pe-1918585 :D Let me know if you try it and what you think!
fantasia_kitty
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby ValiantArcher » Jan 06, 2018 4:33 pm

;))

Thanks, fk! :) Will post here if/when I get a chance to try it!

Last night and this morning I made a variant on Peanut Butter Twisters, one of Summer's favourite treats. The original recipe calls for a rolled-out dough spread with a peanut filling to be folded in half, cut into strips, the strips twisted and baked, and then drizzled with a chocolate sauce. Instead of making them into strips, I spread the filling all over the dough and then rolled it up into a log. I cut the log into circles and baked them like cinnamon rolls, "frosting" with the chocolate sauce after baking. I think they were about comparable to the originals, but perhaps a bit drier - I think this might be solved by increasing the amount of peanut butter filling. Overall, though, people liked them. :)
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby fantasia_kitty » Jan 23, 2018 12:09 pm

I started a new tradition last year with the Super Bowl: Making two desserts that loosely represent the two teams competing. So this year for a super bowl party (that no one may come to, and if that's the case the hubby will take the food to work), I'm making a Boston Cream Pie and a Philadelphia Cheesecake. :D

Oh, and Kansas Day is this Monday so I need to get some groceries put together for a Kansas Dirt Cake. ;))

And my husband's birthday is coming up too, and he wants a chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting. I usually do the molten lava cakes with peanut butter filling for him, but we're getting to be such a huge family (babies everywhere!) that those are getting to be a bit overwhelming.

Making desserts > Making real food :))
fantasia_kitty
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby johobbit » Jan 24, 2018 2:05 pm

You gals are making me h-u-n-g-r-y! ;))

One of our (many) favourite dishes is Sweet and Sour Chicken. It's such an easy-to-make meal and is delicious with fresh brown rice and a couple of vegetables. We're having ours with sautéed spinach with garlic cloves tonight and crunchy carrot sticks, mmm!

Ingredients

Sauce:
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 cup ketchup
1 cup water (I use more like 3/4 cup)
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup minced onion
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper

Chicken:
6-8 chicken breasts or thighs
butter
salt and pepper

Directions
Sauce: Combine all sauce ingredients in saucepan. Simmer over low heat for 20 minutes or until a bit thickened.

Chicken: Place chicken in roasting dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and dot with butter. Brown, uncovered, in oven at 425°F for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 325°F. Pour sauce over chicken. Cover and continue for approximately 2 hours.

A few notes:
*I hardly ever include salt in my recipes (including this one), and they are still very tasteful
*I usually double the sauce recipe to freeze a batch. Obviously it needs to simmer longer if doubled. I think I let it go nearly an hour last night.
*2 hours seems long to me. I often stop ours baking at ! & 1/2 hours and it was yummy. I guess if you want the flavour to sink in even more, continue for that extra time.

It's been fun having lots of homemade soups and muffins in the freezer over this winter. They're certainly handy for us to pull out, and also it is so important (in our family) to have them readily available to give away to folk who could use a little pick-me-up in mid-winter. :)
johobbit

Postby stargazer » Jan 25, 2018 10:36 pm

I like your idea of the representative desserts, fantasia.

Note to self: don't look at this thread when hungry. ;))
"The eclipse will melt your spine!'

- Overheard in a telephone pictionary game, August 2017
stargazer

Postby Grandmama » Feb 03, 2018 11:07 am

fantasia kitty, can I come to your house for your Super Bowl party? Yum!
Grandmama
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby wild rose » Mar 11, 2018 7:12 am

Recently I've gotten back into baking cakes :) The other week I made Chocolate Devil's Food Cake for the teacher I work with. It was kind of a random idea, our students came up to me and said it's going to be her birthday March 1st and we should do something and I threw out that I can make a cake and they all agreed it was a wonderful idea. Problem is I only get home 8 pm earliest. I also have to get up at 5 am to get to work on time.

Still I stayed up till 1 am in the morning and got up at 4 am to finish the icing. I have to say it was a great cake...if I'm not blowing my own horn here ;))

Next monday I'll bring over three cakes to celebrate my birthday which was last Friday. I've already decided that one is going to be a chocolate chip cake, I'm still making up my mind about the other two, but I think I'll go with spice-cake and probably apple and cinammon. :)
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby Valiant_Nymph » May 04, 2018 4:09 pm

Wild Rose, I'm looking for a good chocolate cake recipe! Would you be able to share yours? :)
Valiant_Nymph
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » May 10, 2018 3:55 pm

I can't say that I have a favorite chocolate cake recipe in my arsenal of recipes, Valiant_Nymph, but I did make this black bean chocolate cake recently and I thought it turned out pretty well. That may be not at all what you're looking for, though. ;))

I also made a yellow cake with white beans the other day and tried something new for the frosting — I used pureed beans for that as well instead of the customary truckload of confectionery sugar. I know buttercream made from beans sounds really weird from an American standpoint, but white bean paste is actually commonly used in Korean desserts and is the key ingredient for making the intricate icing flowers that top Korean cupcakes. It's called baek ahng geum and it's very simple to make.

I used navy beans in my batch because that's what I had on hand, but next time I'll try the traditional cannellini beans. I didn't know quite what to expect from the flavor, but using plenty of vanilla extract resulted in a nice, not-too-sweet buttercream. Even my brother liked it, so I'd say it was a success. ;))
—The Rose-Tree Dryad, a.k.a. Rose @};-
NW sister to Melian_Maia, lover of narnia, Elanor and juzuma loves lucy + NW twin to MissRosario
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Valiant_Nymph » May 10, 2018 5:39 pm

The Rose-Tree Dryad wrote:I can't say that I have a favorite chocolate cake recipe in my arsenal of recipes, Valiant_Nymph, but I did make this black bean chocolate cake recently and I thought it turned out pretty well. That may be not at all what you're looking for, though. ;))

Ha, that's not what I had in mind, but I might try is out! ;))
Valiant_Nymph
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby JillPoleFriend » May 14, 2018 2:36 pm

Does any have a good recipe for chocolate chip cookies? I'm trying to make some for my mom's birthday :)
JillPoleFriend
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Valiant_Nymph » May 14, 2018 2:53 pm

I know this is strange JillPoleFan, but I find the recipe on the back of a particular brand of chocolate chips to be really good. Not sure if they have this brand in your area, but here is the recipe:
https://www.hersheys.com/kitchens/en_ca ... ecipe.html
Valiant_Nymph
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby SnowAngel » May 23, 2018 11:14 am

I have a great chocolate cake recipe, but I can't remember if I am allowed to share it. It's my great-grandma's recipe. Somewhere in this thread I posted my favorite buttermilk brownie recipe that is a lot like a chocolate cake.

This recipe was one of my birthday pies, other pie was sour cream blackberry and I am sure I have posted that recipe already.

Mocha Chiffon Pie (adapted from Better Homes And Gardens New Cook Book copyright 1965)

1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup cold water
1/2 cup water (I used shots of espresso)
2 BRCC instant coffee sticks (maybe 2 teaspoons of instant coffee)
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
3 egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 or 2 T. coffee grounds (could use coffee grounds from making coffee listed above)
1/3 cup sugar
3 stiff beaten egg whites
baked pie shell

Soften gelatin in 1/4 cup cold water. Heat 1/2 cup water (or coffee) to boiling; add instant coffee and chocolate; dissolve. Add softened gelatin, stir until dissolved. Cool.

Beat egg yolks with 1/3 cup sugar till light; add chocolate coffee mixture, salt, vanilla, and coffee grounds. Cool at room temperature.

Gradually beat 1/3 cup sugar into beaten whites; fold into chocolate mixture. Pour into pie shell. Chill until firm, about 2-4 hours. Trim with whipped cream and chocolate curls.

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
NarniaWeb Guru
Maiden of Monday Madness

Previous