This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Cultural Curiosities: Life in Other Countries

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Cultural Curiosities: Life in Other Countries

Postby Valiant_Nymph » May 14, 2018 2:48 pm

I've been to France, although it was many years ago. Which part of France are you visiting? I personally didn't enjoy Paris too much, as it was very crowded and 'touristy.' But I liked a little seacoast town I visited called La Rochelle; it was very romantic ;;)

And my favourite part of visiting France was definitely the food! I remember getting the sweetest and reddest strawberries while I was there. :)
Valiant_Nymph
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » May 14, 2018 5:22 pm

Yes French food could be nice, though I am not fond of the way the French do ham, or how they do allegedly Italian food 8-| . I do love French cheeses though, and bouillabaisse, and it is best to go to the Brasseries to eat in preference to fast food places like McDonalds.

I've been to France three times in all, but the third time was only for a day or three, in association with the ANZAC Day centenary of 2015. A lot depends on what you want to see, and do, in the country, and that time, 26-28th April, 2015, I was visiting Northern France, around Villers Bretonneux, where there is a museum for those Australians who were sent to that town in World War I to help defend it against invading German forces. This year Villers Bretonneux was the site for Anzac Day commemorations, as the battle of Villers Bretonneux occurred a century ago, on 25th April, 1918.

I've also been to see the American war graves and monument overlooking Omaha Beach in Normandy, which commemorates the D-Day landings of 6th June, 1944, which helped put an end to World War II, and which would be of great significance to American visitors there, in particular. Further along the Normandy coast are Sword and Juno Beaches where the British and Canadian troops landed. France, today, looks very green and tranquil for such a turbulent history.

As well, I've been to Honfleur, St Malo, Mont St Michel, Epinay (the centre of the champagne producing area), Rouen and Rheims. I wish I could go back to have another look at the cathedral in Rouen, in particular, as this Normandy city is much more historical than for being the place where St Joan of Arc was burned at the stake. And the tour we went on to visit Normandy and a bit of Brittanny, didn't take in Bayeux where the famous Bayeux tapestry is normally located.

I personally didn't enjoy Paris too much, as it was very crowded and 'touristy.'

Yes, the Louvre is not a place for the faint-hearted, especially on a French public holiday, and it is important to beware of pickpockets. Around Versailles there are too many people trying to sell souvenirs and virtually everyone gets pushed in, in large groups that is easy to get detached from if you can't keep up. Even the Eiffel tower can get a bit too crowded. Often in those places I saw more when with my own family rather than with the larger tourist group. There is a gilded statue of St Joan of Arc, just down from the Louvre, in the Place des Pyramides, adjoining the Rue de Rivoli, in Paris, and if you see it, please give it a wave for me. It is one landmark that is hard to miss, and one place where I knew exactly where I was. Beware of Paris traffic. ;)
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Valiant_Nymph » May 22, 2018 12:55 pm

Has anyone been to New York city? My brother is going and would like some tips on places to visit (especially places to eat ;) ) I went there once, but it has been years (and I was only 10)!
Valiant_Nymph
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby coracle » May 22, 2018 2:51 pm

I was there for a couple of days in 2000 - when the WTC was still there - and I had a recommendation from another traveller to go on the Circle line boats, which take you right round Manhattan. The guide tells you about everything you are seeing, and it was a great start to my visit as I knew approximately where I was. I went up the Empire State and was able to identify some of the buildings from above (after the boat ride).
I recommend you find a good basic guide book and use it to make a short list.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Valiant_Nymph » May 22, 2018 8:54 pm

Thanks, Coracle. I will pass on this info to my brother. :)

If I were going I would just want to eat all the good food! My tourist stops would consist in stops at restaurants haha. When I went years ago, I remember thinking pizza in New York was sublime.
Valiant_Nymph
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby fantasia » May 08, 2020 2:05 pm

We've had a number of new members join recently from various countries around the world, so I thought it'd be fun to bump this thread back up again. :D

Starting off with a question... what are the average dates of a school year in your country? Here in the USA, it depends on where you live. The midwest where there's a lot of farming country, it's usually mid August to mid May. If you go to the coasts it's usually mid September to mid June. The current pandemic had me wondering how schools have been interrupted around the world.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Courtenay » May 08, 2020 4:51 pm

In Australia, the school year starts in the last week of January or first week of February and ends in mid December, so that every school year fits perfectly into the calendar year. Which is the way it should be and the only logical way to do it, obviously. :D ;)

I'm not in contact with anyone there who has school-aged children at present, but the lockdown began in March, about halfway through Term 1 (which normally ends around Easter). They're now talking about possibly allowing schools to go back by the end of July, which would be early in Term 3 (there are four school terms per year in most states). So it's a matter of losing about a term and a half of school, but returning in the same school year about halfway through it, rather than on the verge of a new school year. I suppose how that's handled will be up to the respective state education departments for public schools and up to the individual school for private ones. At least nearly all students will be in the same boat when it comes to the impact on their schooling and I'm sure allowances will be made for that.
"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed." (Prince Caspian)
Courtenay
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby coracle » May 08, 2020 11:05 pm

New Zealand is in the southern hemisphere, where summer is from December to February, and includes Christmas and New Year.
The school year starts at the end of January or beginning of February, and has four terms, divided by 2-week holidays (breaks) around Easter, in early July, and September/October.
This means that all the end of year tasks and activities happen along with Christmas events and preparations, and plans for summer camping trips!
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby wild rose » May 17, 2020 2:17 am

Zambia is also in the Southern Hemisphere though we don't have a summer/fall/winter/spring season break. It's more of hot/very hot/rainy/coldish and then back to hot. So there's no such thing as a two month long summer break. Basically for most schools the school year starts in January and is divided into three terms. So the first term goes from January to March then there is a month long holiday during April, then the second term is from May to July then holidays in August and lastly the third term is from September to November with holidays in December. There are so mid term breaks which last for a week in the months of February, June and October.

The only difference is for some big international schools that have connections with Europe and America so they try to follow the more northern hemisphere calendar. I think this is mainly for their twelfth grade students, most of whom choose to go and study abroad and need the school year to end by July. So the school year will start for them in September as opposed to January but they still follow the same three term system with the same holidays breaks.

Honestly it was very confusing for me at first when I moved here, ;)) but after three years I've gotten used to it and now get confused by how the school system works in my native Russia. Most of my siblings are teachers so I thought I wanted to invite some over for December (it's a good month to visit Victoria Falls, right in the rainy season when the water levels are high) and they have to remind me that up there they don't get the whole month off school like we do here but only a week off at the end.

In Russia there isn't really a standard way the school year runs. That is to say it always starts in September. For elementary school it will end in mid May, for middle and high school usually mid June. And then of course everyone gets the last week of December and the first week of January off because of New Year's and Christmas. Other than that it's sort of up to the school to decide when the spring and fall vacations will come around.
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Previous