This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Misconceptions as Children

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Misconceptions as Children

Postby Weirdo » Sep 27, 2011 12:00 pm

My little brother thinks that, since my dad takes his motorcycle to work sometimes, that means that he comes home on his 'homercycle.' :D

I used to think that bad people had to be ugly. It's from all those cartoons.....:P
Also, I thought that if I stood in front of a fan long enough, I'd blow away to another world. I have NO idea where that came from. Hehe.
The cover on one of our Sherlock Holmes' books has a bunch of pipes on it, so I thought they were saying he smoked too much. :ymblushing:
Also, I thought that soccer players had to be latino, because my dad would watch soccer, and that was pretty much all that was on.....
Then I saw the world cup, and was trying to figure out how they could all still be latino. =))
Member of the Switchfoot Club! :D
NW siblings: wild rose, DeDe, The Jedi Clone, Melian Maia, Gathmandais, TheDwarfMan, and csjesi.
I'm a Northie! :D
Member of Loki's Army
Aegrenil, fifth Time Guardian.
Weirdo
NarniaWeb Nut

Location: Catching Sherlock Holmes with a lasso as he falls, of course!

Postby Nellie of Narnia » Sep 27, 2011 2:32 pm

ChristProclamer wrote:My sisters and I used to think that wedding vows included the phrase 'waffly wedded', because we weren't familiar with the term 'lawfully wedded'. I never could figure out what weddings and waffles had to do with one another...

narnian_at_heart wrote:My little siblings thought that too! Once they had a pretend wedding with my little brother as the groom, my youngest sister as the bride, and the sister directly after me presiding. My little sister took "thee as my waffle-headed husband."

=))

narnian_at_heart wrote:Oh, and I forgot. My little sister also on occaision took "thee as my awful-headed husband"!

Those are all sooo funny! They made me laugh out loud - several times!! :D =)) They're so cute too and it totally makes sense that a young child wouldn't be familiar with the term "lawfully wedded" and therefore would think "waffly wedded", "waffle-headed", or "awful-headed" were being said instead! =))

ChristProclamer wrote:And (this one isn't mine), my sister used to think she had to pray for everything at night. She'd pray for the spoons. And the cups. And the chairs. It made for very long bedtime prayers.

That's really cute, ChristProclamer! (Though it must have been somewhat frustrating at times, too!) By the way, I really like the way you write. :)
"Polly knew at once that it was the Cabby's wife, fetched out of our world not by any tiresome magic rings, but quickly, simply and sweetly as a bird flies to its nest."
(The Magician's Nephew, Chapter 11)

Real life daughter to johobbit!
NW niece to ramagut.
NW Hobbit cousin to coracle.
Nellie of Narnia
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Adeona » Sep 29, 2011 2:52 pm

When I was rather young I used to think that the best man in the country was always chosen to be the next president. How I wish it were that simple! :p
RL Sibs: Aviator, Lizzle, Narniancricket, DancingPrincesses, Andriel
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru
Thursday's Wayfaring Child

Postby winterlife » Sep 29, 2011 6:02 pm

Adeona wrote:When I was rather young I used to think that the best man in the country was always chosen to be the next president. How I wish it were that simple! :p

That hardly sounds simple to me. Think of all the work that would go into finding the best man! :p

I used to think that each time a movie was put in, it played something different. I thought we only had one movie because that was all we needed. Imagine my shock when I went to replay a movie once, and it was the same thing I'd just watched! :p
Hoot Owl of NarniaWeb!
Relient K club member
avie and siggie by me
NWtwin:Sleepwalking NWsibs:8
winterlife
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Quinlin » Oct 06, 2011 8:18 pm

This thread is absolutely hilarious! I've read every page and am laughing so hard! =))

Here are some of mine:

I used to believe that if I baked good enough cookies for Santa, that he would leave me all the presents I had put on my wish list, and more.

I also thought that people who lived in high rise apartments, like in NYC, had birds that picked them up at their windows when they needed to go out. ;))

ChristProclamer wrote: And (this one isn't mine), my sister used to think she had to pray for everything at night. She'd pray for the spoons. And the cups. And the chairs. It made for very long bedtime prayers.

Haha! That reminds me...When I was young I used to think I had to kiss and wish everything goodnight in the house. I would walk around and kiss every brick on the fireplace, as well as the chairs, my paint sets, etc. Things usually ended in a tantrum and as I fell asleep thinking of the things I hadn't said goodnight to, I deeply hoped that the brick wall would forgive me! :p :p
I've Been to Narnia!
'I can still hear the hoofbeats in my heart'
Quinlin
NarniaWeb Fanatic
Birthday Committee Sub

Postby TheGeneral » Oct 07, 2011 9:44 am

I used to think my parents' names were literally "mom" and "dad", when they told me their real names I remember refusing to believe them.
Also I call my dad's parents 'Opa and Oma' (German slang for grandma/grandpa), and when I was a kid I thought everyone called their dad's parents that, and 'grandma and grandpa' was only for the mom's parents. :-o
TheGeneral
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Shadowlander » Oct 07, 2011 9:50 am

I remember believing (mostly because my neighbors told me this) that if one ate watermelon seeds then a watermelon would eventually grow in one's belly. At the time I thought this was actually pretty cool. ;))

Also Monsters lived under the bed although they occasionally migrated to the closet. It was of the utmost importance to keep one's feet from dangling over the side or else they would grab you and pull you under. ;))
Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby georgiefan1 » Oct 09, 2011 5:55 pm

the watermelon thing I also believed! that old animated show Rugrats scarred me for life!! :p

sometimes I still avoid all the black seeds :p
NW twin to Georgiefan! NW sib to 22!
avvie by AslansChild thank you!!!
georgiefan1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby outlier » Oct 16, 2011 5:14 pm

I used to think that if there was a character in a movie/book that had the same name as me, then I would be doomed towards a similar fate as that character. Fortunately for younger me, this only happened a few times. :p

To this day I still get weirded out at first glance, but then continue on with the story.
Signature by Tarkheena, Avatar by Ithilwen
Sneaky Ninja of the Lurkers Club
outlier
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Weirdo » Oct 26, 2011 6:28 am

Fortunately for me, I have a very unpopular name; I've never read a book that had my name in it. Unfortunately though there's a movie that has a girl with the same name as me, and she's REALLY annoying.......
Member of the Switchfoot Club! :D
NW siblings: wild rose, DeDe, The Jedi Clone, Melian Maia, Gathmandais, TheDwarfMan, and csjesi.
I'm a Northie! :D
Member of Loki's Army
Aegrenil, fifth Time Guardian.
Weirdo
NarniaWeb Nut

Location: Catching Sherlock Holmes with a lasso as he falls, of course!

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Oct 26, 2011 6:48 am

Your name is Justin Beiber? :P

I can't think of any misconceptions I had as a child. My whole childhood was likely one big misconception.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby Gildor_Inglorion » Nov 10, 2011 11:36 am

@Shadow Lol! I thought that too!

This whole thread is great =))

EDIT: @Dark Horse Lol! I always read the Disney logo as "Disnep" because of the way the font looks. XD
Gildor_Inglorion
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Aslanisthebest » Nov 10, 2011 4:19 pm

*likes this thread, too*
"waffully wedded husband" =))

I remembered one I hadn't shared. When I was little, I was unfamiliar with JC Penney and Menards. I learnt about them together, so for some reason I associated them (and still do) in my mind. So when I heard Menard's jingle on the radio, "Save big money at Menards!" I would think it was, "JC Penney at Menards!" Only when I sung this to myself one day did my parents laugh and correct my misunderstanding.

Also, I would see 7UP trucks sometimes and always interpret it in my mind as "ZUP.", because of the way the 7 is written. When my dad brought home some 7UP, I asked "May I have some more ZUP?" ... then my family laughed and corrected me, again. :P

When I was young, "employer"=boy boss "employee"=girl boss.
(my family laughed and corrected me here, too)

My mind interprets it as "Disney" but I always read "Gisney." I see this is the case with many others. :P

There are a couple more, but I can't remember them atm. ;))
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby coracle » Nov 10, 2011 9:04 pm

This thread has been fun to read. I don't recall if I told this one on the old thread, but I have a distinct memory of stating "If our radio broke, all the people inside would fall out" - thus explaining what I believed about it - that it was full of tiny people. I would have been 4-5 at the time. I think this was before television arrived in NZ, so I suspect I had seen films but not TV, which makes it all all the cuter.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Aslanisthebest » Nov 10, 2011 10:07 pm

Haha, that's cute & funny! Funny enough, my grandpa would tell my mom, when she was little, that there were little people talking in the radio and if the radio broke, then all the little people would come out. :D
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby GlimGlum » Nov 12, 2011 1:39 pm

Along a similar vein, when I was little I thought that when you turned off the TV, the program you were watching would still be there when you turned it on again. I used to wonder "What happened to my show? It wasn't over when I turned it off and now it is completely gone!". :-o

Now with a DVD, I can turn it off and it will be right where I left it. ;) :D
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

PreviousNext