This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Writer's World

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Writer's World

Postby Menelve » Feb 13, 2012 12:55 am

Oh, sorry that you took that as a slight, Fencer! But yes, Ithil's right. This time around was an examination of the curious cross section of members that NaNoWriMo and NW have in common. ;) However, a series of more general interviews would be a good plan for a future time. Though, it probably wouldn't be 3 times a week. lol *files away in blog planning* If/When I do it I'll make sure to ask you, Fencer. ;)

Right now I'm a bit busy setting up a blog platform campaign aimed at networking (as you would know if you read the post on my blog about it ;) ) and I've got another campaign of sorts scheduled for May (I think) so we'll see how things are functioning when the dust settles.

Interviewee #19: Lady Courage is up now (and I nearly died of laughter while formatting it for the post. Good job, LC!) http://annamittower.blogspot.com/2012/02/interview-19-lady-courage.html

~Anna
Menelve
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby FencerforJesus » Feb 13, 2012 3:38 pm

It's cool and no offense taken. I was really joking about it earlier and am perfectly fine with it. I do need to get on your blog (haven't done it yet) but I am so busy with student teaching, three graduate on-line courses and now settling into my new home location (we have a mobile home that we moved), it simply doesn't cross my mind when I have time.
Be watching for the release of my spiritual warfare novel under a new title: "Call to Arms" by OakTara Publishing. A sequel (title TBD) will shortly follow.
FencerforJesus
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Jill » Feb 13, 2012 11:43 pm

I have totally impossible writers block, it's not that I've got to the middle of a book and I'm disagreeing with the plan it's that the blasted plan won't come. Anybody any ideas? :-\
Comfort child we are between the paws of the true Aslan.- King Tirian

If this is the real world the the play world a great deal better- Puddleglum
Jill
NarniaWeb Nut

Location: Standing at the door to Aslans country from Experiment House

Postby Ithilwen » Feb 14, 2012 4:22 am

Jill wrote:I have totally impossible writers block, it's not that I've got to the middle of a book and I'm disagreeing with the plan it's that the blasted plan won't come. Anybody any ideas? :-\

You mean coming up with a story in the first place? Maybe you're lacking inspiration. I usually write books based on pictures and scenes in my mind -- and the pictures are usually put there by something like a song or a movie or photograph. Music is a handy tool for inspiration; as are pictures. Try looking at photography on DeviantArt, and listening to some good songs. Listen to songs that reflect the sort of books you write, whatever that may be. Two Steps From Hell soundtracks are very useful to fantasy writers, as are other soundtracks.

Hope that helps. :)

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby Jill » Feb 15, 2012 12:39 am

Thanks, that's really useful, I have a kind of blurry idea and some characters I really like but they just wouldn't go onto paper.

Jill
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Menelve » Feb 15, 2012 2:27 am

And there's always the NaNoWriMo solution of just tossing something random in to make your characters do something (which usually results in an epiphany concerning either the plot or a character's personality).

Interviewee #20: Melian_Maia's now up on my blog! http://annamittower.blogspot.com/2012/02/interview-20-melianmaia.html

(On another note, looks like friday won't be the last interview. It will continue on till Monday at least. *crosses fingers for more potential interviewees to feel guilty and finally send their belated interview in*)

~Anna
Menelve
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby wild rose » Feb 15, 2012 11:58 am

Meltintalle wrote:wild rose, is there any conflict between your two characters? Does the girl trust the boy right away, or vice versa? Do they have fun together? If it's just the two of them in the story, then they are what should capture the reader's interest. They should be at least as important, if not more so, than the plot.

There is a bit of conflict, but now that I think of it, not that much, she's pretty quick to trust him due to the circumstances, but rereading through the novel I think I could add a little bit more friction between the two of them to spice things up a bit, thank you so much for the advice. The novel is in such a mess right now, I did a major plot change and now have to do the clean up job, making sure everything fits together and doesn't contradict. I have a couple of people waiting for the novel to read and they are gettng so impatient with my dragging out the editing :p

I guess one of my bad habits is trying to write a couple of things at the same time, which makes everything go a LOT slower. But somehow I just can't seem to focus n only one thing, does any one else have that problem
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby Jill » Feb 16, 2012 12:25 am

^Yep, I've got the baby building blocks of a couple of short stories and a play right now and I'm juggling them, I can never focus on just one thing. This may be partially why I'm having a problem getting properly started :p

Jill
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Menelve » Feb 17, 2012 12:07 am

Well, LadyA gave into my badgering and finally sent me her interview, so I now proudly present it on my blog! http://annamittower.blogspot.com/2012/02/interview-21-lady-arwen.html

Edit: The final interview is now up featuring Stardf29! Thanks to all the participants and the readers! http://annamittower.blogspot.com/2012/02/interview-22-stardf29.html

~Anna
Menelve
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby FencerforJesus » Feb 25, 2012 12:07 pm

I am now signed up for the 2012 Colorado Christian Writer's Conference to be held in the middle of May. I'll be in Estes Park Colorado (very beautiful area) for the three+ day conference with over 50 professional authors present, not including over a dozen publishers, a dozen agents, and more. I've been looking at this conference for four years, but it's always been held during Finals week. Now Finals are no longer an issue (I don't have them and even if I did, the conference is the week afterwards). But if I don't go this year, I may not be able to any time soon because I'd be teaching during that time. This conference looks to be really good and I can't wait for it.
Be watching for the release of my spiritual warfare novel under a new title: "Call to Arms" by OakTara Publishing. A sequel (title TBD) will shortly follow.
FencerforJesus
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Menelve » Feb 28, 2012 11:27 am

Ooo that sounds lovely, fencer! Wish I could join you. I need to get my act (and money) together so I can start attending writer conferences and workshops.

Please post a summary of highlights of the conference! Please! :D

~Anna
Menelve
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Lucy of Narnia » Feb 28, 2012 11:48 am

I'm currently at 37,330 words. I'm gonna finish my novel at 50,000 words by the end of February (AKA tomorrow). So far so good. Write-or-die helps. I think for me I just need to let go, relax...break the fourth wall and stuff. Just write, and fix it later. B-) I did half-break the fourth wall once, but I tied it in (very very very loosely). I was listening to the samples of the DW soundtrack with the 11th Dr. And when I heard that familiar music form my fave part of the only partial-eppy I watched....I couldn't help but paise mide-sentence to write (fish fingers!). Haha. :P

*AHEM* This has been a writer's soap opera by Lu. Tune in next time to hear... :P
Avy by me, siggy by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
You suck a lollipop, and you sing a song. Get it right, Jo!
Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

I need feedback

Postby darkhorseD » Apr 26, 2012 10:39 pm

I have a story that I'm currently writing, and I need feedback before I decide to continue writing it. You can find the story by following the link below. Currently I have written 2 chapters to it.

http://darkhorsed.deviantart.com/gallery/36801958
Tick tock, tick tock
Goes the clock
Here comes your final hour

Best use it well
But remember yourselves
The worlds left in its wake
darkhorseD
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby FencerforJesus » Apr 27, 2012 2:07 pm

Nothing wrong with fan fictions. I'm a fan of Kingdom Hearts but never saw Coraline (know about the story, but never saw it). I think the idea would make for a nice addition 'world' for the characters to visit, however the only thing is that those who haven't played Kingdom Hearts or seen Coraline would have a clue about what you are talking about. You have a lot of solid references to both sources and I know what is going on (and what I can expect to go on), but would anyone who doesn't at least know the premises of the two sources know it? This is one area you can work on. To develop the characters and the story. It does look like some first writings (hey, we all have to start somewhere), but it's not bad.

On my own stuff, I've got 2 1/2 weeks until the Colorado Christian Writer's Conference. It's so close. I can't wait for it. But one of my challenges that I need to have figured out before I go is how to describe my book in 1-2 sentences. I can do it in a paragraph or two, because I have two complex story lines that weave together, but I don't know how to do that in 1-2 sentences for a pitch to an agent or publisher. Those who have had a chance to read my book, I'd love some help with that.
FencerforJesus
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby darkhorseD » Apr 29, 2012 5:40 pm

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback and I'll keep that in mind
Tick tock, tick tock
Goes the clock

Best use it well
But remember yourselves
darkhorseD
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby darkhorseD » May 04, 2012 12:37 am

I have another story I need feed back on, well, its really the opening paragraph to the story, I just need initial feedback. Here it is:

Thriller (Alternate Title: Darkness Falls)

Finally, the great day dawned; the first day of the two day Festival of Light. The Orb of Light shone brightly in the center of the underground city of Cobal. Tonight the light from the orb will be extinguished, to be replaced with darkness to symbolize the Dark Days, before the Orb of Light was created. After about five hours, the Orb of Light will reignite. However, unbeknownst to the people of Cobal, but now knownst to you the reader, a group with villainous intentions plots to destroy the Orb of Light.
Tick tock, tick tock
Goes the clock

Best use it well
But remember yourselves
darkhorseD
NarniaWeb Regular

PreviousNext