This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Writer's World

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Writer's World

Postby Fire Fairy » May 05, 2018 9:42 am

You're welcome! :)
Member of the Dragon Lovers Club. PM FrecklefaceJill to join.

Avy & Sig by Ithilwen--thank you!
Fire Fairy
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Valiant_Nymph » May 12, 2018 7:08 pm

Do you guys have a favourite place you like to do your writing? There is a library at my university that is in a gothic style, so it is a perfect atmosphere for writing! There is also a nice cafe near my house that has the most delicious baked goods. Writing in there is nice because I can munch on wonderful cupcakes and cookies at the same time.

I actually haven't started the dialogue scene I mentioned earlier, but I will head out to the cafe on Monday and try then. I just get lazy when I plan to write at home!
:ymblushing:
Valiant_Nymph
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » May 13, 2018 12:46 pm

When the weather is nice, I like to write outside in a local park, sitting at a picnic table in the shade. But sometimes there can be distractions there - a hike to look at wildflowers, watching waves crash on the lake, that sort of thing. Sometimes I write with old fashioned paper and pen, and other times I'll take the laptop to the park since I can type far faster than I can write.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Valiant_Nymph » May 13, 2018 8:35 pm

Sounds lovely, stargazer! :) I wish there were a nice lake nearby to where I live!
Valiant_Nymph
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Ryadian » May 14, 2018 9:40 am

I'm similar to stargazer in that I like to write outside when I can - I tend to have a huge burst of creativity as spring and summer start and I can go outside more easily again. I also tend to go for the laptop, since even though I find that pen-and-paper writing makes me less prone to trying to go back and re-write what I already have, it also, like stargazer, just takes me so much longer. However, I like to listen to music online while I write, so I tend to just sit right outside my house, still in range of the wifi, to write. ;))

I've tried writing at a coffee shop near my house, to avoid the distractions of wanting to watch TV or the like instead of writing. It was effective in that regard, but it was a bit too noisy and I was distracted by that. Plus, I have to work up the energy to drive anywhere after coming home from work. ;)) There's a cafe/ice cream shop/something like that near my house that I haven't tried yet, though, so I may have to give that one a whirl this weekend and see how that works out. :)

Good luck on that dialogue, Valiant_Nymph! Here's hoping you hit that rhythm quickly and can knock it out. :)

I've been doing a writing goal this year where I'm writing a set amount of words per day for a particular story (usually around 350, so not a huge time commitment), and while I've been keeping up with it lately, it's been proving hard. On the one hand, I'm proud of myself for not jumping ship to a different story every time I get bored or frustrated. On the other hand, right now I'm completely stuck on the scene I'm trying to write, and there are three other projects which want my attention and are actually being cooperative. ;)) But, in an odd way, it's kind of motivation to get my writing goal done - if I put in the minimum required amount of work on the story I'm supposed to be focusing on, that frees up my time/attention so I can switch to whatever I'm actually interested in at the moment. (*Siiiigh* Oh, writer brain, how you control my life. :P )
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
Ryadian

Postby JillPoleFriend » May 14, 2018 2:34 pm

I like working outside as well, when weather permits it :) Ryadian, I can get distracted by the birds flying ahead, so maybe I just have to lock myself inside an empty room to avoid distractions =))

How is your dialogue scene going Valiant Nymph?
JillPoleFriend
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Valiant_Nymph » May 14, 2018 2:51 pm

That's funny, JillPoleFriend! :P It is going well! I'm about half way done and enjoying it!

And yes, Ryadian, sometimes I get distracted writing in public places too :P
I also agree that it is hard to stick with one idea and keep at it; so many shiny, new things to distract you!
Valiant_Nymph
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Kalta79 » May 17, 2018 12:52 pm

Hope this is the right place to post this, need some help with a writer-related problem. A few weeks ago, I was reading a fanfic that at first I liked, then I realized I didn't, and in PMs, the author wanted to know what happened, and I replied that while the writing was good, the story just wasn't my thing, and I was about to tell them that I might change my mind at some point in the future but for now it's just not for me, when they fired back with a bunch of angry PMs ranting at me, coming off like they were trying to tell me I had no right to my own opinion about their story, and my first thought was "Woooooooooooow! You just BLEW it with me.", but I didn't say anything and have just never replied to them, but it's been weeks and it's still bothering me, and I'm not sure why, so I'm wondering if there's any point in trying to suggest to them that demanding your readers automatically like your stuff isn't the best way to treat them, or should I just keep ignoring them?
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby AJAiken » May 19, 2018 3:06 am

From what you've said, if I were in your situation I wouldn't contact them. I'm not sure they would accept your advice about how to treat their readers if they didn't accept what you said about their story. If they contact you again, more calmly I hope, you might want to reconsider. But for now I think it's okay to leave it as is.

On writing, it's been a long time but I've been typing up a short story over the last few days! It's one that's been building up in my head for a while, but I was nervous to pin it down for fear it would lose what I meant it to be. However, in writing it out I've discovered far more about the story and characters. It's basically the same, but there's much more depth to it! There's still a lot to write, though, so I suppose it could all change ...
AJAiken
Moderator Emeritus

Postby coracle » May 20, 2018 2:52 pm

Excuse my adding a bit, but I agree not to contact her again.

Don't forget that she is writing something using another writer's characters, setting, etc, and making them act the way she wants them to - so in some ways she could be seen to be breaching the copyright of the original writer.

I myself am currently at the 'it's partly in my head, partly in notes before I write, and I need to get material from where I am because it is set here' stage, with a story I want to write. The tricky bit is that it is a sequel to a book I was going to write years ago, and this is now the next generation! I still want to write the original book, and so I have to have a decent outline of what happens etc before I begin the outline for this one!

I have to get out and about, take photos and write descriptions and information, and talk to locals about the last 30+ years.
Motivation needed to get moving!
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Kalta79 » May 21, 2018 9:19 am

Thanks to both of you and good luck on your stories. As mentioned, it's what they want to do with the characters, so I don't get why they'd expect everyone else to like what they do. Oh well. I want to get more writing done, but there's too many distractions, but not all are bad, house/yard work does need to get done when it has to, except when my body is busy, I feel like my muses are evil and have no shame because my brain wanders and I get ideas for more stories when I haven't even finished the ones I started years ago...
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby SummerSnow » May 21, 2018 1:12 pm

Valiant_Nymph, that library sounds lovely! Definitely perfect for writing.

I mainly just write in my room. I've written outside occasionally, but I haven't found a really good place for writing yet. Personally, I find it hard to write around other people, so anywhere crowded is a no for me! Since I have yet to find a good place, I will sometimes listen to ambient soundtracks that help me get into the setting of my story. It's not quite the same, but it can be nice sometimes. :)

Kalta79, I have those same problems! Currently, I keep on finding technically old story ideas that I never did much with and wanting to work on them instead of my current writing projects. I have yet to find a good solution for how to balance getting new ideas with the old ones I'm working on....
My lovely avatar was made by Valia!
SummerSnow
NarniaWeb Junkie
The WC Submersible Subterfuge Sub

Postby Valiant_Nymph » May 22, 2018 12:38 pm

Summersnow: yes, I used to find it very hard to write with other people around as well. I find it is still hard if I'm doing something very intensive -- I need my own private space to be able to concentrate and cry in frustration :ymblushing: :p
But if I'm writing something that is more fun or lighthearted or purely administrative, I find having company can help. Or even if it isn't 'company,' just being in the presence of other people. That's why I like cafes :)

Also, I think that wanting to work on projects other than the one at hand is very tempting! I suppose it isn't bad or wrong, as long as we can stay somewhat disciplined and actually get something done!
Valiant_Nymph
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby SummerSnow » Jun 22, 2018 4:21 pm

Valiant_Nymph, I hadn't thought about it being helpful to be around others when you're writing something lighthearted. I think I'd like to try writing in a cafe sometime and see how it turns out!

That's where the problem is for me! I've been trying to limit myself to a select number of stories -- I can work on any of them at any time, but I'm not allowed to start a new project. We'll see how long it lasts!

On another note, is anyone planning on doing Camp NaNo? I was surprised to discover it's in July this year, since I thought they usually tried to keep it in a month with 30 days.
My lovely avatar was made by Valia!
SummerSnow
NarniaWeb Junkie
The WC Submersible Subterfuge Sub

Postby Phill Lytle » May 16, 2019 11:32 am

I write for a website called Rambling Ever On. (The link is in my signature.) I have written a few different Narnia related articles over the years. I figured I would share them here with likeminded folks. I hope the will be meaningful to others. Thanks.

Aslan Is On the Move
"Every tear will be redeemed in the hands of God." - J.J. Heller

Rambling Ever On - Finding Truth, Beauty, and Joy in Life
Phill Lytle
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Cleander » May 16, 2019 12:00 pm

Excellent article! I love the constant parallels you drew between our world and Narnia. Very evocatively written! Thanks for sharing that!
PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

PreviousNext