This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Camping- it's in tents!

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Camping

Postby Puddleglum » May 02, 2015 7:52 pm

Back from the first Scout camp this year, and I survived #:-s Dressed up for rendezvous, and it seems to be a hit with the youngsters.
Was able to do some teaching about fire starting, with parental approval ;)
Cordage making is a little more challenging. I takes some effort to get them interested in making string out of plant, and animal fibers. But once a couple of the dad's got into it at least their boys started.
Thankfully the weather was not overpowering in humidity, with the breeze picking up a bit after noontime, which helped a lot.
There was quite a diversity of birds about as well. A Mockingbird was announcing itself, as well as a Cardinal. There was a Nuthatch also flitting about.
Not to be outdone, a dark swallowtail butterfly made itself an ornament atop the hats of first a parent, and then a scout. Sadly it was very camera shy. Whenever I picked mine up, it quickly made for the treetops. A Tiger Swallowtail also was visible in the upper canopy of the trees, but was just not in the mood for company.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Puddleglum » May 18, 2015 8:44 pm

Informal rendezvous this last weekend at a friends. No dressing up,but a lot of ideas passed around. We had an herbalist give a walk and talk on edible, and medicinal plants which is always an interest for those wanting to make better use of the creation God put in our care.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » May 24, 2015 6:21 pm

I like your comments about sharing information and the camping/rendezvous experience with others, Puddleglum. I enjoy camping alone very much, but there's something special about sharing this out-of-doors experience with others, too.

We're in the midst of the long Memorial Day weekend here in the US, and as usual all the local campgrounds are full or nearly so. Since the weather was predicted to be wet, I took advantage of glorious late-spring days on this past Thursday and Friday for an impromptu overnight visit to a state park about an hour away. I had no reservations for the weekend but nice spots were available for Thursday night.

I enjoyed the usual activities: cooking over the fire, hiking along the St Croix River, and stargazing (including seeing Venus in broad daylight, using the nearby moon as a guide). Unlike last year, when absurdly high pollen levels forced an early end to the Memorial Day camping, this year pollen has been a lot easier to take. And the lack of mosquitoes and humidity were a bonus too. Packing up a nice dry tent at the end of the trip was a nice finish.

The park sponsored an interpretive program Friday evening about making star wheels (planispheres) and using them to identify the constellations at night. Fun!
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby stargazer » Jul 10, 2015 11:46 am

I'll be camping this weekend with a few other NarniaWebbers from the area. It should be great fun, but the heat and humidity (effective temperature over 100F) and possible thunderstorms Saturday might dampen spirits just a bit. We're going to a county park not far from here.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » Jul 10, 2015 6:52 pm

Have fun stargazer.
I hope the rain holds off.
There is a rendezvous south of Lake Millacs this weekend called The Hairy Mosquito. Unfortunatly I have to finish projects, so I will be missing it.
Oh. And don't forget the bug spray.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Jul 13, 2015 6:54 pm

The rain did indeed hold off, friend wiggle! Just a few drops Saturday afternoon. Sunday night (after our return) was another story, with torrential rains and lots of lightning.

There was plenty of heat and humidity, especially on Sunday, when the heat index hit 100F/40C. And the mosquitoes were bothersome, especially after dusk, but we still enjoyed a couple of campfires and a little stargazing.
stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » Jul 25, 2015 7:48 pm

One more week, and it's off to Clearwater Heritage Days, encamping with a bunch of fellow re-enactors demonstrating the old style of living out-of-doors. I must admit that I am exited seeing as I have now a tent to call my own. God was smiling on this poor Marsh-Wiggle. (Ok. It's used, and I had to pay for some tears to be restitched, as well as couple peg loops that were held together by saddle blanket pins, and maybe a couple other holes. But Hey. It's mine, bought, and paid for.)
So far the weather is promising to be a little warm, in the mid 80's F, but it's supposed to be low humidity.
I will be demonstrating making cordage again, with others doing flint-knapping, as well as a blacksmith.
So long as the mosquitos stay away....
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Jul 31, 2015 12:14 pm

Hope your mosquitoes stay away Puddleglum! I've had lots of them join me for recent stargazing sessions. ;)) Enjoy that big bright full moon tonight!

Is your tent one of those (usually) white ones I've seen at places like the Big Island Rendezvous in southern Minnesota? (In comparison, I'm a bit of a wimp, using my modern backpacking tent).

Our next camping trip begins a week from today, also at Baker Park Reserve (site of the trip I enjoyed recently). This is a fairly large group, including Ryadian's family and a number of other longtime friends.
stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » Aug 02, 2015 6:31 pm

Mosquitoes were tolerable. Though one was particularly persistant last night. Ever get to the point where just let them take a blood donation so you can get some sleep i-)
I am sure the tent was white at one time, but now bears stains from much use. I do have some modern tents, and in some rendezvous they are permitted when you tent away from the designated "encampment". We do have some families who use tin teepees ( an RV ).
Have fun next week. The moon might be faint enough for some good viewing at night.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Aug 10, 2015 6:27 pm

Just like a month ago, we only had a few drops of rain over the weekend, with the really heavy stuff coming down a few hours after we returned home. The humidity and the bugs were present but not overwhelming. Lots of clouds came and went, though we did get to see some stars both evenings, and the ISS made a guest appearance on Friday night. Mystical Fire - little packets you throw on the fire to make pretty colors like blue, green, and purple - was enjoyed on Saturday evening.
stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » Aug 13, 2015 8:48 am

Got towarn you about that Mystical Fire stuff. I've heard that there some health problems coming from the fumes. Just in caase, be sure to stay downwind whenever using it.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby johobbit » Aug 13, 2015 11:03 am

I enjoy reading about everyone's camping experiences. Actually, wait ... I guess it's mainly Puddleglum and stargazer. ;)) And coracle, when it's the right season for her. :) Fun and interesting reads!

Friend Wiggle wrote:Got to warn you about that Mystical Fire stuff. I've heard that there some health problems coming from the fumes.

So, that's what's wrong with the mods. :)) Seriously, though, Puddleglum, thanks for the heads up.

I am sure the tent was white at one time, but now bears stains from much use

I first read this as your tent had bear stains on it. /:) ;))
johobbit

Postby stargazer » Aug 13, 2015 4:18 pm

A ceremonial reading of the warnings on the Mystical Fire packet is often part of the experience, Puddleglum, but thanks for the warning.
stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » Aug 14, 2015 9:52 am

you are welcome stargazer.

My dear Hobbit. I cannot be sure as to the origin of the stains. But as it is a used tent, and I am well aware of the poor dining habits of bears, ( Licking their paws at the table? I may not be royalty, but there must be some decorum [-( ), the possibility of the stains originating from them is not out of the question. /:)
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Puddleglum » Sep 07, 2015 6:51 pm

Just got indoors from a rather pleasing evening out with the Mrs. We had a good rousing bonfire, with non of the accompanying insect distractions.
It must be the cooler weather, and they are just too confused to be hungry.
No matter the reason, it is a welcome change from 24 hours ago, when I was out-and-about with some fellows in high humidity, and heat, and the pests could not attack any exposed skin fast enough. We were sorely peppered.
Though I am no fan of cold weather, if it keeps the mosquitos at bay in two weeks I will gladly wear more layers.

and there is the rub. In two weeks, and it will be the end of the Rendezvous season. i just hope enough of the cold weather holds off until we get back. I know there is a stove pipe hole in my "new" tent, I am just not in any great hurry to use it. If anyone is interested we will be out by Elk River Mn. Just look up Wapati Historical Encampment for directions.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Sep 08, 2015 12:03 pm

If it does cool off I might just look you up, friend Wiggle.

We camped on Superior's North Shore for Labor Day. I've made a few comments in the weather thread, but suffice it to say it was unusually hot and humid there...we heard jokes about it being too humid to start fires.

There was also heavy rain. Gooseberry Falls was at a very high level, almost up to some of the boardwalks. It was also very crowded.

Both Saturday and Sunday evenings had rain and spectacular lightning, but unlike the first night (hours of rain), Sunday's line moved through quickly to reveal a beautiful star filled sky by about 11 pm. No mosquitoes either!
stargazer

PreviousNext